Author Topic: Explain This Passage to Me, Please.  (Read 7110 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Explain This Passage to Me, Please.
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Where else in the Gospels does Jesus imply that he is the only way to get saved?

Mt 11:27  "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

Ac 4:12  "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
(I know, not the gospels)

otherwise, the overarching theme of the new testament is this truth

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »
How literally SHOULD one take the Gospel of John?  I think I remember hearing in an interview with Bart Ehrmann that it's the most "suspect" of the gospels, from a scholarly perspective.
Well, I didn't say "literally."  I said "seriously."  But I can see where the confusion would arise.

Well then, how "seriously" should one take the Gospel of John?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Are you asking Hef specifically, or anyone?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
How literally SHOULD one take the Gospel of John?  I think I remember hearing in an interview with Bart Ehrmann that it's the most "suspect" of the gospels, from a scholarly perspective.
Well, I didn't say "literally."  I said "seriously."  But I can see where the confusion would arise.

Well then, how "seriously" should one take the Gospel of John?

It's the Gospel of Christ, so for me, a Christian, I take it as truth.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
Are you asking Hef specifically, or anyone?

Well, I'm aware that most Christians take it very seriously, and most non-Christians don't take it very serious at all.  I know Hef has unorthodox opinions regarding the Bible, so I was asking him I suppose.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
I thought you might be; that's why I asked.  FWIW, I've heard some arguments from more liberal scholars about why it is supposedly "questionable," such as John supposedly have Jesus' trial, crucifixion, and death on different days than in the other gospels, but on close examination, I don't find those arguments to hold much water.  That's my take, anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
Wasn't the gospel of John written LONG after the others?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »

I don't think so.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »

Certainly the latest of the four.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »

I think this is true, but it was still within like 50 or 70 years of Christ's death.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »

I think this is true, but it was still within like 50 or 70 years of Christ's death.

That's still a really long time.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »

Which would make the author between 80 and 100 years old.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »

Or not even born yet in the time of Jesus.

Offline Adami

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »
Sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »

When they say such and such a book is how old they're usually talking about when the final editing stage was complete, so if 'the loved one' had a hand in writing this he wouldn't have to be that old.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Adami

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
A good point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2010, 01:53:14 AM »
Personally, I don't hold the Gospel of John very highly.  It's just too different from the Synoptics, both in its historical details and its presentation of Jesus as a person, and his message.  It has a much more advanced Christology than the Synoptics, and appears to be a much later work.  I mean, sure, it's nice, and probably contains some truth, but I don't think it is The Truth.

But that's just me, and I realize that I'm in the minority, and I certainly don't expect anyone to change their minds based on my opinion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
To me, John is the most beautiful of the Gospels. Brilliantly well written.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
I love John because of it's simplicity...for one, as a fisherman, the uneducated side of John comes out in his multiple use of the same terms, his lack of varied vocabulary and his emphasis on simple themes (love, truth, etc).  and yet, despite its simplicity, it contains one of the most profound vss (IMO) in all of Scripture (John 1:1-18).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »
Personally, I don't hold the Gospel of John very highly.  It's just too different from the Synoptics, both in its historical details and its presentation of Jesus as a person, and his message.  It has a much more advanced Christology than the Synoptics, and appears to be a much later work.  I mean, sure, it's nice, and probably contains some truth, but I don't think it is The Truth.

But that's just me, and I realize that I'm in the minority, and I certainly don't expect anyone to change their minds based on my opinion.

Why can't TGOJ be different and still be The Truth? Different perspectives and differences in time would definitely account for some variations. I'd expect it.

But is your main assumption in the details of events or what? I'm just wondering, because your opinion is such a minority.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
I agree with you that it is the most beautiful, and brilliantly well-written.

Why can't TGOJ be different and still be The Truth? Different perspectives and differences in time would definitely account for some variations. I'd expect it.

But is your main assumption in the details of events or what? I'm just wondering, because your opinion is such a minority.
It's not a minority among scholars.  It's just a minority among laypeople.

Basically, John presents a different Jesus than the Synoptics.  In the Synoptics, Jesus refuses to prove his identity by performing miracles, that is precisely the reason for his miracles in John (see 2:1-11; 4:46-54; 20:30).  In the Synoptics, Jesus's message revolves around the coming of the Kingdom of God, and rarely speaks about himself; in John, he speaks about nothing but himself, and barely mentions the Kingdom at all.  John is the only gospel to record Jesus's "I am" sayings ("I am the Light of the World;" "I am the Bread of Life;" and importantly "I and the Father are one." 

In John, Jesus is presented as a teacher, a prophet, and a messiah sent to die for the sins of the world, just as in the synoptics; however, in John he is also the one who reveals God, and he is the embodiment of God's very Word, through which the universe was created and by which all living things have life; those who believe in Jesus have eternal life, while those who reject Jesus come under God's judgement; those who see Jesus have seen the Father, and he is God's presence on Earth.  All of that is only found in John.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
bösk1 pointed out this in another thread and got me curious on something:

(...) Jesus and his Apostles preached that the only, exclusive way a person can be saved is through Jesus.  John 14:6:  "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (...).
1. There's no other way getting into Heaven if it is not by Jesus?
2. How literal must we take this passage then?

The Church believes the only way to Heaven is through the Son so yes the passage is correct. How literal? Well... it's pretty clear so there really isn't anything to point out but let's remember something here, The Church still believes that salvation can exist outside of the Church. Whether or not that means Christ is present in some form in all religions or there is some other explanation is beyond me, but the Church did excommunicate a priest back in '48 who taught that The Church is the ONLY place for salvation. But yes, the passage is basically what you see is what you get. There is no salvation except through Christ. Now let's not go and take that into the wrong context. What I just said is what the Church considered infallible dogma. We know this is infallible because as you pointed out, this is exactly what Christ said. So now we have to understand it.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 04:08:41 AM »

I agree with you that it is the most beautiful, and brilliantly well-written.

(I don't understand how quoting works on here yet so please bear with me if I screw this up.)

John is brilliantly written but so is the whole bible.

You're right i does have a very specific focus of Jesus as God. because that's the purpose it was written for. Each of the Gospels have their own spin on them. They are none of them any less the word of God though. So remember that next time you read it and instead of criticising it for it's differences think along the lines of "What is John's purpose in doing things differently to the other gospels?" He was one of the 3 inner disciples after all.

It's not a minority among scholars.  It's just a minority among laypeople. [proof please]

Basically, John presents a different Jesus than the Synoptics.  In the Synoptics, Jesus refuses to prove [proof please] his identity by performing miracles, that is precisely the reason for his miracles in John (see 2:1-11; 4:46-54; 20:30).[i'm inclined to disagree with you here but I'll wait for that]  In the Synoptics, Jesus's message revolves around the coming of the Kingdom of God, and rarely speaks about himself; [proof please] in John, he speaks about nothing but himself, and barely mentions the Kingdom at all.  John is the only gospel to record Jesus's "I am" sayings ("I am the Light of the World;" "I am the Bread of Life;" and importantly "I and the Father are one."
[or "I am before Abraham was"] - I don't see how that discounts it from canonicity. Each gospel has it's distinctives. Only Matthew has such a Jewish focus and the sermon on the Mount. should we disregard that passage from Matthew because it doesn't appear in Mark of Luke or John? Only Luke has medical language. Only Mark has some of Jesus Aramaic phrases in aramaic (Epphatha - Mk 7:34) and refers to the palace of Pilate as the "Praetorium" (Mk 15:16)

In John, Jesus is presented as a teacher (Mt 8:19, 9:11 Mk 4:38, 10:17 Lk 7:40, 10:45 for example), a prophet (where is he a "prophet" in John?), and a messiah (Mk 14:60)  sent to die for the sins of the world, just as in the synoptics; however, in John he is also the one who reveals God (let's ignore Mk's account of the transfiguration shall we? Mk 9:2-11), and he is the embodiment of God's very Word, through which the universe was created and by which all living things have life; those who believe in Jesus have eternal life, while those who reject Jesus come under God's judgement; those who see Jesus have seen the Father, and he is God's presence on Earth.  All of that is only found in John.
[/quote]

Well for starters, I'm not sure what to make of your statement of Jesus as the Embodiment of God's word. You're taking that from John 1:14? You're missing the third statement of vs 1 "and the word was God" this is John's way of telling us that Jesus is God. Mark does this in 2:28 and any time he quotes Jesus calling himself the "Son of Man" which is a refenece to Daniel 7. Matthew refers to Jesus as God whenever he says that Jesus fulfilled a prophecy (usually from Isaiah) Mt 12:17 for one example. Also Mk 14:61-2 is pretty explicit. And Mk 8:38.

i'm trying to find the passage reads from Isaiah on the scroll and says "today this scripture is fulfilled in your presence" or something like that. but at the moment I can't find it.

By the way. John was written about 30 years after Christ, before the temple was destroyed in AD 70

and in reply to the OP it's pretty explicit. no one can come to the father except through Jesus.

If I might expand on that for a second. Jesus is talking about how his righteousness (he never sinned and being God himself he didn't have original sin which we get through Adam) was transferred or "imputed" onto us. He's saying that without his death no one can have eternal life.

EDIT: Sorry about messing with the quote formatting... do you just have to wait until the end of the quote to talk to avoind looking like the person you're responding to wrote several essays?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:15:37 AM by Philawallafox »