Author Topic: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 47903 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Says the man who spells Dredg wrong. :p

Says the man who calls himself a fan, yet still doesn't know that dredg is not supposed to be capitalized. :p

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »
Says the man who spells Dredg wrong. :p

Says the man who calls himself a fan, yet still doesn't know that dredg is not supposed to be capitalized. :p

More important, how the bloody hell is it supposed to be pronounced? Is the second d silent? Or is it pronounced "dredge?"
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »
if you ask the band members of dredg, they'd never have called their band "dredg" (or "Dredg") if they could start over again.

By the way, assuming I do decide to do 1 of these, once Nick is done with this one. I am definitely going to prepare for critical comments. My shields will have to be prepared to go up  :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:34 AM »
Heh, the live DVD also marks one of the smallest audiences at a DVD taping I've ever seen.

I don't have the DVD, is it possible it was a special show for fan club members that they just happened to record?  Although seeing the lack of acknowledgement they get even at a site like DTF, I guess we shouldn't expect to see them pack a stadium like they do in South America.
The Threshold DVD is very good. That's funny about the small crowd. The biggest problem with the DVD is that it's so obvious how much of the vocals were redone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:33 AM »
Nick, even though some of your band choices may be fail, I love your commentary and insights.   Very  :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »
Nick, even though some of your band choices may be fail, I love your commentary and insights.   Very  :hat
All of the guys that have done these types of threads recently have done a good job with that. Like Darkes7's singer thread. I've never even heard of most of those guys.... But it's been great reading the explanations..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »
 :justjen

List good.  Wait bad.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
:mcdammitnick:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »

List good.  Wait bad.

:lol Sorry, was out the last two days, will do another update today.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
Let's cut Nick some slack.  It has to be taking days to find any good things to say about Vanden Plas, likely one of the next bands on his list. :lol :lol :lol

;)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Even though I already listed Vanden Plas, Professor Fail. :p
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »

List good.  Wait bad.

:lol Sorry, was out the last two days, will do another update today.

SO that's two days.  Did you spend the third day crying because most of the people are calling fail at every post?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
Dominici ahead of dredg is really troublesome.  I'm gonna keep reading, but I'm expecting the fail!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
20. Enchant
As far as American prog goes, these guys are truly a diamond in the rough. They are somewhat well known, but deserve a lot more attention then what they've gotten. They play a brand of hard rocking inspirational prog that cuts straight to the heart and at one time they were very prolific. Unfortunately after putting out 7 albums in about 8 years these guys have gone silent after 2003, pretty much only playing the occasional festival. It's quite frustrating that such a good band is still together and yet not producing any new material.

Favorite Albums: Juggling 9 or Dropping 10, A Blueprint to the World

Favorite Songs: Oasis, Open Eyes, Below Zero, Break, My Enemy, Pain the Picture, Colors Fade, Juggling Knives, Under Fire, Seeds of Hate, Flat Line, Tug of War, Queen of the Informed

19. Fates Warning
Not much I can say about these guys that you guys won't already know. At times their two guitar brand of prog is stunning. The way two guitar parts can come together in some of their songs is nothing short of amazing, and now that I think of it I'd say Scale the Summit can do similar things. I like the old Arch era stuff, but I definitely prefer the Alder era.

Favorite Albums: A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Parallels, Disconnected, Perfect Symmetry

Favorite Songs: Kiss of Death, Misfit, The Apparition, Fata Morgana, The Ivory Gate of Dreams, Through Different Eyes, Life in Still Water, The Eleventh Hour, Outside Looking In, Monument, A Pleasant Shade of Gray, One, Still Remains, Simple Human, Another Perfect Day

18. Yes
Despite a rotating door policy on membership in the band Yes maintained a high level of quality for a long time, and it seems that recently they've managed to pick things back up again with Magnification. The list of classic Yes epics is a long one, and yet they managed to gain commercial success with a few shorter, yet equally Yes sounding songs. No prog library is complete without the classic Yes albums.

Favorite Albums: Close to the Edge, The Yes Album

Favorite Songs: Time and a Word, Yours is No Disgrace, Starship Trooper, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise, Close to the Edge, Siberian Khatru, And You and I, The Gates of Delirium, Machine Messiah, Tempus Fugit, Magnification (Perpetual Change has been excluded due to the hurtful comments of a particular member here that will go unnamed.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
Even though I already listed Vanden Plas, Professor Fail. :p

Okay, Shadow Gallery then. :p :lol 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »
I love Enchant.  Ted's vocals are what realy draw me to this band.

Yes has been a band that I've embraced the many changes(Pun intended) and have put out music I can identify over the years, from And You and I to Final Eyes to Open your Eyes, Yes has given me reson to go to concerts and to buy their music.  I am one who likes when a band try's to stay relevant(sp?) so I hope they make another album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2010, 01:04:01 PM »
I was such a big Enchant fan that on an old prog message board I frequented 8-11 years ago I took my handle "Mettle Man" from one of their songs.  And how did you leave "Pure" off their best songs?  Top 5 ballad for any band in my book, thanks mainly to Ted Leonard's wonderful voice.

It just sucks that Enchant actually have to work day jobs because they don't make enough off their music.  Any Korg players - you can thank Bill Jenkins of Enchant, he's one of the heads of R&D there!

Nick, do you have Benignus's side project, Xen?  Very cool, you should really enjoy it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
I can't get into Fates Warning no matter how hard I try. :-\

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
I can't get into Fates Warning no matter how hard I try. :-\

Keep trying on occasionally.  Some bands I love didn't click immediately for me.  It took me 4 years for Pain of Salvation's TPE Pt. 1 to click for me, and about 2 years for Between the Buried and Me.  Sometimes it doesn't happen immediately, but its worth it when it does, and Fates Warning is definately worth getting into IMO.  Which album have you tried?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
I've listened to all of Awaken the Guardian, No Exit, and Parallels. It's definitely good music, just not good enough for repeated listens from me...I've been meaning to give A Pleasant Shade of Grey a try, but I'm kind of apprehensive about that one.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
(Perpetual Change has been excluded due to the hurtful comments of a particular member here that will go unnamed.)

Who?  In the Wake of Poseidon?  Blind FaithX?  Acidrainlte?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
(Perpetual Change has been excluded due to the hurtful comments of a particular member here that will go unnamed.)

Who?  In the Wake of Poseidon?  Blind FaithX?  Acidrainlte?

I think he's talking about me, because I knocked his Dominici selection ;D

But at least I'm not the only one!

I really kinda want to do one of these threads, but there's a couple issues: 1. I'm not as high-caliber a member as Nick of Kev and 2. I don't even think I have 50 bands I like.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
I wouldn't worry about #1, and you could do a top 20 if that floated your boat.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »

Who?  In the Wake of Poseidon?  Blind FaithX?  Acidrainlte?

But at least I'm not the only one!

I really kinda want to do one of these threads, but there's a couple issues: 1. I'm not as high-caliber a member as Nick of Kev and 2. I don't even think I have 50 bands I like.

I do lists like these a lot, I've already done a Top 50 Opeth, Top 25 Yes and am now doing a Top 50 DT.. and I'm less known than you.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »
Hm. Maybe I should consider.  I think I need to plan it out a bit more first, though.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a guess that DT, Rush, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, and Marillion are in Nick's Top 5. Possibly in that order.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »

Who?  In the Wake of Poseidon?  Blind FaithX?  Acidrainlte?

Remind me to send an e-mail to Shadow Gallery to record a song called "Skydiving Ninja" so Nick can exclude it from his list for the same reason then. ;D

As for Nick's top 5, I'm certain that Rush is number one, Royal Hunt is number 2, and the others are something like Marillion, DT, Transatlantic, Ayreon, and Shadow Gallery.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
Hm. Maybe I should consider.  I think I need to plan it out a bit more first, though.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a guess that DT, Rush, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, and Marillion are in Nick's Top 5. Possibly in that order.

I won't say why you're wrong, but you are.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
17. Pendragon
A clear *current* leader in what can be considered Neo-Prog. Marillion held the title with Fish at the reigns, but Pendragon have been oozing prog excellence for 25 years now. The band is one of the few that can strip down to all keyboards for awhile and have it work perfectly. They are a band in which the guitar solos remind you of David Gilmour, and happily they often last for quite awhile. They are both anthemic at times and subtle at others. They make you sing along, and they certainly deserve more recognition then what they get considering how long they've been playing the game. I'm going to list a lot of songs for this band, and it's because I find all of them to be classics.

Favorite Albums: The Masquerade Overture, The Window of Life, Believe

Favorite Songs: Queen of Hearts, Sister Bluebird, The Walls of Babylon, Breaking the Spell, The Last Man on Earth, Nostradamus, As Good As Gold, Paintbox, Masters of Illusion, A Man of Nomadic Traits, King of the Castle, No Place For the Innocent, The Wishing Well, Indigo, The Freak Show

16. Bruce Dickinson
One of the true icons in all of metal Bruce Dickinson does more than showcase his vocal abilities on his outings aside from Maiden. The music is more diverse then Maiden, and his melodies are often stronger, if not at least different from what you're used to hearing from him. He recorded two albums that are arguably stronger than any Maiden album and the rest of his work is very good, even if a bit inconsistent. If the speculation is true and Maiden does call it quits after the new album and tour metal fans should be praying that he spends time working on solo material in between flights around the world.

Favorite Albums: Chemical Wedding, Accident of Birth

Favorite Songs: Son of a Gun, Tattooed Millionaire, Born in '58, 1000 Points of Light, Laughing in the Hiding Bush, Change of Heart, Starchildren, Darkside of Aquarius, Road to Hell, Man of Sorrows, Accident of Birth, King in Crimson, Chemical Wedding, Book of Thel, Gates of Urizen, Trumpets of Jericho, Abduction, Soul Intruders, Navigate the Seas of the Sun

15. Marillion
Marillion is a very hard band for me to rank. Although I adore their first 5 albums, I'm not a fan of what I've heard thereafter. However before finalizing my rankings I did give Brave and Marbles another spin and perhaps I had been a bit too hard on them in the past and maybe I'll check out another H-era record again soon. The Fish era material has often been compared to Genesis, but as with Beardfish I find that early Marillion is better than what it's being compared to, in fact, I'd say it blows Gabriel era Genesis out of the water. Script is an impressive debut, Fugazi is an underrated gem, and the next two albums are pretty much flawless. It should be noted that The Last Straw is probably the best album closer I've ever heard.

Favorite Albums: Clutching at Straws, Misplaced Childhood

Favorite Songs: Script For a Jester's Tear, Garden Party, Assassing, Incubus, Fugazi, Kayleigh, Heart of Lothian, Childhoods End, Hotel Hobbies/Warm Wet Circles/That Time of the Night, White Russian, Incommunicado, Slainte Mhath, Sugar Mice, The Last Straw, The King of Sunset Town, Easter, The Uninvited Guest
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:21:16 PM by Nick »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
Marbles is a great album.  I can see why so many people dislike Mr. H era Marillion, though.  While H, in his own way, is just as poetic and as much of a songwriter as Fish was, his songwriting has reduced all Marillion's pep and power to a syrupy drawl.  When you've got Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas as your rhythm section, that's just inexcusable.  Wasted potential.  Despite not playing to their strengths, though, I do think H. can still do pretty neat things as the band leader.  Marbles is one such example.  It's atmospheric, dark, poetic, and emotional. The interludes are quiet tasty as well.  Of course, it's still missing what we all know Trewavas can do.

I would have thought you'd rank Marillion higher, Nick, but I didn't realize you disliked H's Marillion as much as you do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:02:51 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »
Well, part of the low rank is my dislike of the H stuff I have (Season's End excluded), but another part is simply not having heard so much of their material.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
Marbles, Brave, and Season's End > Fish-era.  Except Clutching at Straws, which beats Season's End by a wide margin for me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
Nick, do you have Arena?  If you do, then you are implying that Pendragon > Arena, and if that's the case I need to get some Pendragon next time I go through a neo-prog phase.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
The only Arena album I own is Immortal, and that's because aside from the track Chosen (Which I really really love), I wasn't really thrilled by it. I will tell you that Clive Nolan, the keyboardist, main writer, and producer of Arena is the keyboardist for Pendragon.

But yeah, you definitely need to pick up either Masquerade Overture or The Window of Life.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
Alright so I just took a look at this thread for the first time and I'm definitely interested for the rest of it.

That being said, how is it that nobody has noticed the numbering errors?

Two excerpts from this list:

41. Kamelot
40. Sonata Arctica
39. Amorphis
40. Metallica
39. Secret Sphere
38. Vanden Plas

36. Pain of Salvation
35. Muse
32. Kansas
31. The Flower Kings

What's up with that?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
Nothing.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.