Author Topic: Would You Be Interested...  (Read 17064 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Would You Be Interested...
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
....if for the next Dream Theater album they go a completely opposite direction and do disc like Opeth's Damnation? Having a completely acoustic disc, and if we were lucky, maybe a two disc set, one being "normal" while the other being all acoustics would be pretty sweet. Since John Myung has reportedly said to be writing lyrics again, and mostly all DT fans wanting to see more sweet bass riffs, an acoustic album could be just what we needed to bring Myung back in the picture.

Thoughts?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Would You Be Interested...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
DT always do a great job, so of course I'd be interested.  However, I think such a scenario is highly unlikely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
It would definitely be interesting, but my view on new albums is simple: it should be what the band feels comfortable with and what they can do the best they can. If they decide that's the next step, I'm definitely more than fine with it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »
I broached the subject about an all-acoustic disc some time ago, and it met with a lot of resistance from folks on here.

But yeah, I'd be totally down with it. All acoustic, with Jordan on a real piano.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »
I'd definiteley be up for an accoustic album, but I'd rather get and Official Bootleg of their Philly 98 Christmas show. I mean the regular boot is good enough.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
DT always do a great job, so of course I'd be interested.  However, I think such a scenario is highly unlikely.

As do I, but who would have thought Opeth would do it? And acoustic parts like the end of TCOT are just amazing, stuff like that would be soo good
I broached the subject about an all-acoustic disc some time ago, and it met with a lot of resistance from folks on here.

But yeah, I'd be totally down with it. All acoustic, with Jordan on a real piano.

I don't think he'd necesarrily have to be on a real piano. Yes it would be cool if most of his parts were, but the music would also need those "special sounds" like a choir or whatever it may be

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »
I'd definiteley be up for an accoustic album, but I'd rather get and Official Bootleg of their Philly 98 Christmas show. I mean the regular boot is good enough.

Philly is good, but Poughkeepsie is far better!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »

Philly is good, but Poughkeepsie is far better!  :biggrin:
Feel free to send a copy my way!  :lol

I really do love the Philly show. James is very good on it, especially on Goodbye Yellowbrick Road.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:20:25 PM »
goodbye yellow brick road...wow, I would like to hear that!

I'm all for an acoustic album

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
Give me acoustic versions of their "ballsiest" songs, and we'll talk.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline LTE

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
Metropolis Pt. 3!!!!

In all seriousness, I hope they return to their roots more, or just realize they don't NEED to be more prog-metal then prog-rock to still fit in today.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
return to their roots
Never. It's not called regressive rock/metal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
I'm always for a change. So I'd be for a softer album like Opeth's Damnation or an acoustic album.  i'd be ok If they mixed it with the heavy also like OV8.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LTE

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
return to their roots
Never. It's not called regressive rock/metal.

Progressive doesn't mean switch genres. They can return to their roots by removing much of the sorta forced metal element and still write great music.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
Nothing is forced in the metal element since they've been a metal band since the foundation. I&W was pretty much the only lighter (and not entirely) album, every one of the other 9 isn't any more or less metal than BC&SL (obviously expect ToT), just the approach and the way it's done is different. Doing any kind of "return to the roots" means pretty much deploying a huge "we've run out of ideas" transparent, unless it's using old elements to create something new but then there's always a song or two on each album where they do this, such as The Count of Tuscany.

Offline LTE

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »
Still I don't really mean staying away from "heavy", as alot of IAW is heavier, although I wouldn't call it or many of their other albums as metal as TOT, SC, BCSL. When I say metal, I really mean the modern metal production values like poor dynamics, and exaggerated mixing. They can stay heavy, but they don't need to follow the mixing and audio styles of other modern metal or prog metal acts.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
Still I don't really mean staying away from "heavy", as alot of IAW is heavier, although I wouldn't call it or many of their other albums as metal as TOT, SC, BCSL. When I say metal, I really mean the modern metal production values like poor dynamics, and exaggerated mixing. They can stay heavy, but they don't need to follow the mixing and audio styles of other modern metal or prog metal acts.
Agreed. I don't want DT albums to be ruined by the loudness war or heavy to stay current
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
Acoustic is so overdone and boring.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »
YES. I'm growing tired of the DT formula. Anything to switch it up would be well-appreciated.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »
Acoustic is so overdone

I agree with this, to a point.

and boring.

But I definitely disagree with this; acoustic music can be fantastic. I think Dream Theater could pull it off, but it might be better as an EP rather than a full album.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Acoustic?  No, but I think an entire "mellow" CD would be nice.  I don't think they would risk doing that though, unless it was a 2-disc set and the first disc was "mellow" and the second "balls."  Then you'd have mellow balls.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
Acoustic?  No, but I think an entire "mellow" CD would be nice.  I don't think they would risk doing that though, unless it was a 2-disc set and the first disc was "mellow" and the second "balls."  Then you'd have mellow balls.

Sounds like Greatest Hit...
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
I really think DT could pull off something really special if they did something like this...It's a shame they're not going to.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »
I say when DT shows up at the studio, they find a 4 piece kit, grand piano and a whatever other acoustic odd instruments JR can use, 5-6 differently tuned acoustic guitars, basses and a chapman stick. And DT have to make a record like that, whatever happened to challenges? Since when did being comfortable inside your box equal good and prog?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
I say when DT shows up at the studio, they find a 4 piece kit, grand piano and a whatever other acoustic odd instruments JR can use, 5-6 differently tuned acoustic guitars, basses and a chapman stick. And DT have to make a record like that, whatever happened to challenges? Since when did being comfortable inside your box equal good and prog?

Sounds a bit like LTE to me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »

Sounds a bit like LTE to me.

Aside from the small kit and chapman stick............how? My scenerio is all acoustic. LTE is never all acoustic. 

I was just curious when it became better for bands to find a level of comfortability and never leave it and bad for them to be put into challenging situations.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »

And the stuff they're cranking out lately isn't? I've love to see then restrain themselves a lot, even give Jordan an all classical piano track. Some people would hate it but it'd be the freshest stuff they've come up with in a decade.

Offline j

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
I will probably always check out anything DT or its members do, but I'd like it if they mixed it up a bit more in the future, so sue me.  This would qualify as branching out for them, even if it's not exactly a novel idea.

-J

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »
I want to hear more magical songs like to live forever.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »
I want to hear more magical songs like to live forever.

Very unlikely, but it's a nice thought.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 01:37:18 AM »
I'm up for it... Even if it's something put out as a stop gap between albums like ACOS was...
It could be reworkings of previous songs, all new or covers...

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »

And the stuff they're cranking out lately isn't? I've love to see then restrain themselves a lot, even give Jordan an all classical piano track. Some people would hate it but it'd be the freshest stuff they've come up with in a decade.
This.

on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »

Immediately came to my mind when I read the OP. His ivories tickle me:blush  :metal
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:06 AM »
The more I think about this the more I get upset :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »
I like the way you think.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.