Author Topic: Rick Beato Video: "How Corruption and Greed Led to the Downfall of Rock Music"  (Read 371 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reesdiAbvk4

this is pretty interesting how he explains how things worked in the 90's and how much money some of these "Producer Managers" got (and how among other things, how the drums on many records were recorded).

Also the downfall (death? or transition to underground?) of Rock Music in the mainstream, and Radio happened.

Offline The Letter M

Might have to watch that later! I've seen it said many times that rock music over-all has slowly drifted away from the mainstream since the 90s, so I'll be interested in seeing what he's got to say about that.

Also, I've never really watched a Rick Beato video before, though I've seen him pop up in my YouTube recommendations a few times. I've always read his last name as "Beat-Oh" but I'm sure it's some three-syllabic pronunciation like "Bee-Ah-Toe", right? "Beat-Oh" is much funnier and relevant to music, so that's been how I say it in my mind.  :lol (And then I sing it to the tune of "BINGO (was his name-o)".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

Didn't watch this one when it dropped, but there is a follow up about why rock musicians became faceless in the 2000s that I watched last night that was good too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Good stuff
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't watched, but youtube suggested one of his videos to me last week, which I did watch, about trends in music.  Thought it was really interesting.  Apparantly guitar based music and rock are on a rise.  Also songs are getting shorter.  I'll check out this video, just can't at the moment.

Online HOF

Haven't watched, but youtube suggested one of his videos to me last week, which I did watch, about trends in music.  Thought it was really interesting.  Apparantly guitar based music and rock are on a rise.  Also songs are getting shorter.  I'll check out this video, just can't at the moment.

I don't know how much on the rise, but just from listening to the "hits" station in the car with my daughter on the way to her school, you hear somewhat more guitar/rock/country type stuff mixed in with the electronic dance, R&B, and hip hop stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Didn't watch this one when it dropped, but there is a follow up about why rock musicians became faceless in the 2000s that I watched last night that was good too.

ah, I will have to check that one out as well. thanks!

Online HOF

Here's the "Faceless Musicians" link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxif5McurI

Offline Setlist Scotty

I think I watched it shortly after he posted it, and I thought it was both interesting and of course sad to see the way things have devolved. Actually it works hand in hand with a book I read several years ago called "Ticket Masters" which goes into detail about how Ticket Blaster rose in power. In general the music industry is in a sad state of affairs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.