Author Topic: May 20th is Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!!!  (Read 49353 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: May 20th is Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
I was just thinking that it'd be great if all TV stations and magazines had a day where they all just showed a picture of Muhammad.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
Too bad the extremists in question also don't give a fuck about "expressing yourself" so her withdrawing support for the cartoon is doing nothing. She should just pursue it.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
I may be alone here, but why do we need to piss them off? Unless there is a clear reason for drawing Muhammad than why should you? It's not just the extremists that get offended by pictures of their prophet, it's most Muslims, they just don't get vocal about it. Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea should actually read up on Islam and why they don't like images of Muhammad.

Seriously, I don't understand why people have to go out of their way to offend others when it isn't necessary.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Because people who get offended by anything need to grow the hell up. Anything.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »

So being offended by something = immaturity

but

offending someone solely for the reason of offending them =/= immaturity

really?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ehra

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure offending people isn't the sole point.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »
I may be alone here, but why do we need to piss them off? Unless there is a clear reason for drawing Muhammad than why should you? It's not just the extremists that get offended by pictures of their prophet, it's most Muslims, they just don't get vocal about it. Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea should actually read up on Islam and why they don't like images of Muhammad.

Seriously, I don't understand why people have to go out of their way to offend others when it isn't necessary.

It's about fighting censorship and not letting pathetic people get there way through intimidation.

This, if Muslims get offended too bad. Maybe they should be the ones to speak out against the extremists. It's just like there isn't a bunch of catholics standing up to child rape that has been going on for so long.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

OK, but if you know it will offend them, then why would you do it?

Wouldn't you want to be the bigger person and just let it go? Is drawing a picture of Muhammad really something that you can't live without doing?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »

It's about fighting censorship and not letting pathetic people get there way through intimidation.

This, if Muslims get offended too bad. Maybe they should be the ones to speak out against the extremists. It's just like there isn't a bunch of catholics standing up to child rape that has been going on for so long.

So a person is pathetic because of their religious belief? Why would you infer that from one small aspect of their faith?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ehra

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »

Wouldn't you want to be the bigger person and just let it go? Is drawing a picture of Muhammad really something that you can't live without doing?

There's a difference between not doing something because you decided you didn't want to offend someone and not doing it because someone threatened to murder you if you did. It's not being done just for the sake of being jerks to religious people, it's to make a point that should be painfully obvious to anyone that's payed any attention to what's been going on.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »

So a person is pathetic because of their religious belief? Why would you infer that from one small aspect of their faith?

Ugh.. Pathetic because they try to enforce there beliefs on other through fear. Am I saying all Muslims do this? No. Am I saying those that enforce their beliefs on others through fear and intimidation tactics are pathetic? YES!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

There's a difference between not doing something because you decided you didn't want to offend someone and not doing it because someone threatened to murder you if you did. It's not being done just for the sake of being jerks to religious people, it's to make a point that should be painfully obvious to anyone that's payed any attention to what's been going on.
A basic tenet of Islam is not to make an image of Mohammad.  Because a minority of Muslims are dicks about someone being a dick about it, all of them have to suffer what to them is basically blasphemy?

I don't get it.  This is douchebaggery of the highest proportions.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that the Muslim refusal of portraying Mohammed was based off the OT.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that the Muslim refusal of portraying Mohammed was based off the OT.
You're wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »

A basic tenet of Islam is not to make an image of Mohammad.  Because a minority of Muslims are dicks about someone being a dick about it, all of them have to suffer what to them is basically blasphemy?

I would say it's a minority, given the countries under sharia law.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »

I would say it's a minority, given the countries under sharia law.
What does that have anything to do with it?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:18 PM »
This is a dumb move. It's like if a small group of jews got pissed about a swastika being on a book or something, so we all paint swastikas everywhere.

If you have a reason to draw muhammad, sure. But just doing it for the sake of doing it? So you can show those people that you piss on their beliefs? Lame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
Isn't that what freedom is all about?

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
Isn't that what freedom is all about?

I didn't mention freedom. I implied etiquette.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »
People are going to go along with this for a lot of stupid reasons, first among those to simply irritate others for no good reasons, but there are many great reasons to show support for this.

If you support this do it for freedom of expression, do it to show that you will not be threatened by religious extremism, and do it to show that simple religious beliefs are not worth fighting and dying for in this country.

Although the Catholic church may have a lot of blood on their hands in the past I did not see the church or any organization threaten violence when Matt and Trey showed a statue of the virgin Mary spew vaginal blood all over the pope.

And that's what is important here, to say you have the right to be offended, you have the right to boycott the show if you wish or to persuade others with non-violence to not watch the show, but the moment you use threats, violence and terrorism to try and get your way you've crossed a line. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
But that's not how you show defiance of religious extremism.

There are christian extremists too, but no one is advocating pissing on jesus statues, or a national abortion day or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »
Yes, because an abortion = a drawing.

There are non-religious reasons not to have abortions, hell, in most cases there are non-religious reasons not to piss on Jesus stations (public nudity, and sanity concerns given where most Jesus statues are located), but there is no good reason that in this country I should not be able to draw and display a picture of Mohammad.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:55 PM »
We're not talking about whether or not we should be allowed to do it. It's a matter of why piss people off for the sole reason of showing that you can? It's not like they are an authority you are rebelling against, they're just a group of people with a small minority that gets more pissed than usual.

I can run up to gay people and yell "DIRTY FAG" at them all day every day. But I won't, why? Cause it's rude as hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
If this has anything to do with the South Park episode depicting Mohammed (I haven't read any of this thread :p), here's my two cents:

Muslims, whether extremist or more Westernized, have every right to get offended by Westerners depicted or parodying their prophet.  That being said, any Muslim who may feel offended is fully capable of turning the TV off when they see something that offends them, just like we all do with anything that offends us.  After all, the whole point of programs like South Park is to laugh at yourself once in a while; there are Jew jokes and depictions of Nazism up the wazoo in South Park, Family Guy, and all its cohorts and you don't see me complaining.  If you can't laugh at yourself, don't watch it, simple as that.  Finally, I don't know much about Islamic law, but I'm pretty sure it forbids Muslims creating any sort of depiction of Mohammed; there's no prohibition against "infidels."
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
I agree with Adami in this thread.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 04:46:21 AM »
There are non-religious reasons not to have abortions, hell, in most cases there are non-religious reasons not to piss on Jesus stations (public nudity, and sanity concerns given where most Jesus statues are located), but there is no good reason that in this country I should not be able to draw and display a picture of Mohammad.
There is also no good reason for you to draw and display a picture of Mohammad.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 05:13:47 AM »
If this has anything to do with the South Park episode depicting Mohammed (I haven't read any of this thread :p), here's my two cents:

Muslims, whether extremist or more Westernized, have every right to get offended by Westerners depicted or parodying their prophet.  That being said, any Muslim who may feel offended is fully capable of turning the TV off when they see something that offends them, just like we all do with anything that offends us.  After all, the whole point of programs like South Park is to laugh at yourself once in a while; there are Jew jokes and depictions of Nazism up the wazoo in South Park, Family Guy, and all its cohorts and you don't see me complaining.  If you can't laugh at yourself, don't watch it, simple as that.  Finally, I don't know much about Islamic law, but I'm pretty sure it forbids Muslims creating any sort of depiction of Mohammed; there's no prohibition against "infidels."

Again, none of us are saying you should be restricted from doing it. Neither me, (and I hope) hef or adami want the act of drawing Muhammad to be banned or anything. We're not saying that.

We're simply saying that you should just respect your fellow human beings, and their beliefs. Muslims become offended when people draw or show pictures of their prophet, for them it is blasphemous to do so. So the simple answer is to respect that and just not draw it.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ehra

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
A basic tenet of Islam is not to make an image of Mohammad.  Because a minority of Muslims are dicks about someone being a dick about it, all of them have to suffer what to them is basically blasphemy?

I don't get it.  This is douchebaggery of the highest proportions.

How are Muslims going to suffer from the fact that some pictures of Mohammad happen to exist somewhere in the world.

This isn't the same as pissing on a statue of Jesus in public. It's announcing to people "hey, let's all make Rapture Jesus pictures!" and then maybe putting them on a website somewhere or something. I don't see anything saying they should be put out in public or hung at subway stations.

Again, none of us are saying you should be restricted from doing it. Neither me, (and I hope) hef or adami want the act of drawing Muhammad to be banned or anything. We're not saying that.

You may not be saying it, but the implication is being set that if you don't want people to do things you don't like then all you have to do is kill a bunch of people and everyone else will stop when you tell them to.

That's what this is all about. It's not targeted at "the majority of Muslims," it even says that in the article in the OP that I would assume people would read before saying they're for or against this.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 06:54:59 AM »
A basic tenet of Islam is not to make an image of Mohammad.  Because a minority of Muslims are dicks about someone being a dick about it, all of them have to suffer what to them is basically blasphemy?

I don't get it.  This is douchebaggery of the highest proportions.

How are Muslims going to suffer from the fact that some pictures of Mohammad happen to exist somewhere in the world.

This isn't the same as pissing on a statue of Jesus in public. It's announcing to people "hey, let's all make Rapture Jesus pictures!" and then maybe putting them on a website somewhere or something. I don't see anything saying they should be put out in public or hung at subway stations.

You may not be saying it, but the implication is being set that if you don't want people to do things you don't like then all you have to do is kill a bunch of people and everyone else will stop when you tell them to.

That's what this is all about. It's not targeted at "the majority of Muslims," it even says that in the article in the OP that I would assume people would read before saying they're for or against this.

Everything you just said.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 07:22:17 AM »
I may be alone here...

You aren't.  As you, hef, and others have put it, even if you disagree completely with the extremists or with the religion as a whole, there is no good reason to do something for no other purpose than to offend somebody.  However, I've been on these forums and others like it long enough to know that, sadly, there are plenty of people who simply don't care enough about others to not understand why such a thing as "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" is and should be offensive to everybody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ehra

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 07:37:22 AM »
You aren't.  As you, hef, and others have put it, even if you disagree completely with the extremists or with the religion as a whole, there is no good reason to do something for no other purpose than to offend somebody.  

Nice strawman there.

However, I've been on these forums and others like it long enough to know that, sadly, there are plenty of people who simply don't care enough about others to not understand why such a thing as "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" is and should be offensive to everybody.

Because that's obviously what this is about. Just a bunch of people that "don't care enough about others."

Why should it be offensive to everyone? Because it's a religious tenant? Should I be offended any time someone breaks one of the 10 Commandments?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
Ehra, I don't think you know what a strawman argument is.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ehra

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »
You're saying that there's no good reason for doing something like this for the sole purpose of offending people, which is completely right. Unfortunately, you've glossed over the fact that this ISN'T being done for that purpose at all.

Sounds like a srawman to me, if it isn't then my apologies. Mind answering my question?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »
Whether it should be offensive is irrelevant to the fact that it is offensive.  I agree that it shouldn't be.  But knowing that it is, I'm not going to go around doing it, at least not publicly because knowing it is offensive to people, it would be just rude.