Author Topic: Sigz's Top 25 Songs of All Time v. Yes it's another top-x list get over it  (Read 27949 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
a special mention to the bassline, which I would consider to be one of the basslines in rock music.

Yes. It is, in fact, one of the basslines in rock music.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline contest_sanity

a special mention to the bassline, which I would consider to be one of the basslines in rock music.

Yes. It is, in fact, one of the basslines in rock music.
Additionally, the chorus has some of the notes ever recorded.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
herp derp I r gud english
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
13. SikTh - Pussyfoot

It's complete and utter madness from the first scream, and I love it. In three and half minutes this tech metal song covers enough riffs and runs to make a ten minute song if they weren't a band of crazy people. The music is consistently interesting, especially rhythmically, and the dual vocals give the song a very unique feel. Of particular note is the 'live life live life' run around two minutes in, that features an absolutely awesome guitar line under the repeated screams of the SikTh's two singers.

12. Kayo Dot - The Manifold Curiosity

The best song off of the best album ever recorded. Everything in this song fits into the overall composition perfectly, from the crescendos of the beginning and middle, to the ethereal sections that come between them, to the psychotic hardcore ending. The alto sax solo at six minutes is one of the greatest musical moments ever, and the rest of the song is equally phenomenal. The best example of musical 'composition' I can think of, and number twelve on my list.

11. Thrice – Daedalus

The song that got me into Thrice, and an absolutely incredibly song from start to finish. 7/4 and 6/4 intro is awesome, and to me is an excellent example of using off time signatures for the benefit of the song rather than to be flashy. Dustin's singing is excellent, the guitars are minimalistic but great, and the lyrics convey a vivid picture without much straightforward imagery. The instrumental section is very well done despite being short, with the guitar harmonies of particular note. And all this builds into the end, one of the most emotional parts of any song I can think of. I've always considered Thrice to be a band that had their songwriting craft honed to perfection, and Daedalus is a direct result of that.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Props for the Beach Boys and CK nods, Sigz.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
The amount of music compacted into an average SikTh song is insane.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Daedalus is a great pick. It would be in my top 25 as well.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
10. Porcupine Tree - The Start of Something Beautiful

Perhaps it's that the lyrics are something I can truly connect to, maybe it's the brilliant drumming, or beautiful instrumental section, or one of the other dozen  things that set this song apart, but TSSB is simply amazing. The major highlight to me is the instrumental section – the subtle acoustic/piano work, the analog synth/guitar solo that has a tone so rich it's almost a song in and of itself, the catchy guitar lead, all building into an awesome final chorus.

9. Gregor Samsa - Lessening

Gregor Samsa has rapidly become one of my favorite bands ever since I discovered them last September, and Lessening is probably their best stand-alone song (meaning it retains its power outside of the context of its album). The soft electric piano, and miminalist guitar, and down-to-earth vocals all capture you at first, and as the song progresses you hear diminished melodies, etheral string work, and light percussion all culminating in an uphill crescendo of the full band's instrumentation. It's post rock at its finest, managing to capture the uncertain atmosphere, rising crescendos, and stark beauty such bands love without wasting time wacking off with screwdrivers and effects pedals.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:57:55 PM by Sigz »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
The Start of Something Beautiful  :tup

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
10. Porcupine Tree - The Start of Something Beautiful

Perhaps it's that the lyrics are something I can truly connect to, maybe it's the brilliant drumming, or beautiful instrumental section, or one of the other dozen  things that set this song apart, but TSSB is simply amazing. The major highlight to me is the instrumental section – the subtle acoustic/piano work, the analog synth/guitar solo that has a tone so rich it's almost a song in and of itself, the catchy guitar lead, all building into an awesome final chorus.

When I saw PT last weekend they opened their second set with this. I freaked out.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, same with when I saw them last year, though it's not quite as satisfying live IMO.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Great picks again, I totally forgot about The Human Abstract, thanks for getting me back into them :metal

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Yeah to the Continuum 4 love, what an awesome song is that. In fact, I'm going to listen to it with a nice pair of headphones and the volume turned up right now

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Great picks again, I totally forgot about The Human Abstract, thanks for getting me back into them :metal

:metal I can't wait for their third album, especially since AJ's helping write it.

Yeah to the Continuum 4 love, what an awesome song is that. In fact, I'm going to listen to it with a nice pair of headphones and the volume turned up right now

It's really the only way to listen to it.

Offline faemir

:metal I can't wait for their third album, especially since AJ's helping write it.

Don't get me started on their second album :angry:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
GTFO Midheaven is great.

Offline faemir

GTFO Midheaven is great.

Exaaaactly. The entire controversy surrounding gives me the impression of a semi-forced genre change that impacted negatively on their output.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Huh? How was it semi-forced? AJ left, he was the principal songwriter on Nocturne, thus Midheaven sounded different.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Great list so far! :tup

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Some songs that didn't quite make the cut, in no particular order:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Moya
Opeth – Bleak
At the Drive-In – One Armed Scissor
Samuel Barber – Adagio for Strings
Aphex Twin – Come to Daddy
The Beatles – A Day in the Life
Thrice – Blood Clots and Black Holes
The Mars Volta – Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt
Protest the Hero – Sequoia Throne
Barenaked Ladies – Alcohol
Porcupine Tree – Open Car

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Barenaked Ladies – Alcohol

:tup

Great song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

9. Gregor Samsa - Lessening

Gregor Samsa has rapidly become one of my favorite bands ever since I discovered them last September, and Lessening is probably their best stand-alone song (meaning it retains its power outside of the context of its album). The soft electric piano, and miminalist guitar, and down-to-earth vocals all capture you at first, and as the song progresses you hear diminished melodies, etheral string work, and light percussion all culminating in an uphill crescendo of the full band's instrumentation. It's post rock at its finest, managing to capture the uncertain atmosphere, rising crescendos, and stark beauty such bands love without wasting time wacking off with screwdrivers and effects pedals.

I need to check these guys out.  Your description has pulled me in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
I don't know if you're a post-rock fan at all, but they are an amazing, amazing band. Check out the album 55:12, it's simply beautiful.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The few songs I listened to I liked.  They remind me of a lighter version of Black Mountain.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Never heard of them, I'll have to check them out too then.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of them, I'll have to check them out too then.

Try the album, Into the Future.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Great to see The Start of Something Beautiful here.

[edited to avoid further confusion, wrong choice of word]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:09:48 PM by Darkes7 »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Why? It's easily the best song off of Deadwing.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
I said it's amazing, meaning awesome or anything similar :P agreed it's the best on Deadwing and one of my PT favourites ever.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Oh, ok  :lol I thought you meant that you were surprised because you thought it sucked.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
I thought it's one of the songs I've expressed my love for a bit too often :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
TSSB can never get enough love.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Well, you have a point.

Offline shadowfex

12. Kayo Dot - The Manifold Curiosity

The best song off of the best album ever recorded. Everything in this song fits into the overall composition perfectly, from the crescendos of the beginning and middle, to the ethereal sections that come between them, to the psychotic hardcore ending. The alto sax solo at six minutes is one of the greatest musical moments ever, and the rest of the song is equally phenomenal. The best example of musical 'composition' I can think of, and number twelve on my list.

11. Thrice – Daedalus

The song that got me into Thrice, and an absolutely incredibly song from start to finish. 7/4 and 6/4 intro is awesome, and to me is an excellent example of using off time signatures for the benefit of the song rather than to be flashy. Dustin's singing is excellent, the guitars are minimalistic but great, and the lyrics convey a vivid picture without much straightforward imagery. The instrumental section is very well done despite being short, with the guitar harmonies of particular note. And all this builds into the end, one of the most emotional parts of any song I can think of. I've always considered Thrice to be a band that had their songwriting craft honed to perfection, and Daedalus is a direct result of that.

My favourite Kayo Dot song and one of my favourite Thrice tracks, great list so far!!
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"