Author Topic: Sigz's Top 25 Songs of All Time v. Yes it's another top-x list get over it  (Read 28300 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I've been thinking about doing this for a while, so here it is. It was actually surprisingly easy to make for the most part. Many of the songs are songs I haven't actually listened to in some time, but seperating the songs I'm currently obsessed with and my truly favorite songs didn't prove to be that difficult actually. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, though I'm diverting power from the main engines to boost the flame shield, which I'm certain I will need at some point.

Without further ado, the first three:

25. Led Zeppelin - 'Since I've Been Loving You'

There's something about the chords in this song that resonate with me in a way unlike any other Zeppelin song. Combine that with great vocals and Page's best solo, and you have a fucking awesome song.

24. Continuum - 'Construct 4'

Steven Wilson's ambient/drone collaboration with Dirk Serries resulted in two albums. Construct 4 is the opener on the second album, and what a way to start an album. The dark ambient beginning is suddenly interrupted four minutes in by the most dense and bone rattling drone metal I have ever heard. What follows is sixteen minutes of utter sonic bliss. Listening to this song through a pair of good headphones with the volume turned up is one of the greatest listening experiences ever.

23. maudlin of the Well
– 'The Ferryman'

Name one other song that has church organs, death growls, beautiful female vocals, and lyrics in latin, and I will give you a thousand dollars. The Ferryman is one of a kind, and more importantly it's an amazing song that covers a phenomenal amount of ground in seven minutes, yet still feels like a very tight composition. motW's best song, and number twenty three on my list.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Interesting. will follow this list closely.  :hat for maudlin
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Interesting. will follow this list closely. 

Same here.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Offline jag66

I was thinking someone should do this. Not heard any continuum, maybe I should..

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
I will be following this thread.
gone

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Interesting choice by Zeppelin.  Should be cool to see how this list pans out. :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
I love "The Ferryman" such an awesome tune.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Well, Sigz, there are going to be few bands I know I havn't listened to so I will try out all the bands on your list that I havn't listened to yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I will be following your career with great interest.  Just a hint: any song that isn't "Thunder Road" at number one is a wrong answer.

Offline j

Name one other song that has church organs, death growls, beautiful female vocals, and lyrics in latin, and I will give you a thousand dollars.

...*spends the rest of the day trying to do this*

Nah but seriously, I'll be keeping an eye on this.  Your taste in music seems to be pretty diverse and I find myself agreeing with you a lot, so I'm sure there will be some good stuff.

-J

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
I will be following your career with great interest.  Just a hint: any song that isn't "Thunder Road" at number one is a wrong answer.

Offline contest_sanity

Name one other song that has church organs, death growls, beautiful female vocals, and lyrics in latin, and I will give you a thousand dollars.

-J
Vatican: The Album. 

Offline Mladen

This will be interesting. I actually really like these top-x lists, they're always fun to follow.  :)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Since I've Been Loving You!  :metal Some of the best vocals in any song, imo.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
Nice idea, gunna follow this.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone

-J
Vatican: The Album. 

The Vatican uses Death Growls?

Pope Akerfeldt II: "Thou shall not KIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL"
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
I admit I don't understand music like Continuum, despite my extreme musical patience, understanding of minimalism and love for long songs. I had Continuum 2 and it was the first, and the only, album in my life I haven't managed to listen from start to finish.

But will be following, this could be interesting.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
I admit I don't understand music like Continuum, despite my extreme musical patience, understanding of minimalism and love for long songs. I had Continuum 2 and it was the first, and the only, album in my life I haven't managed to listen from start to finish.

Darkes,

I AM DISAPPOINT

Nah, I can totally understand why people don't like noise/drone type stuff.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Well, I guess I can see people like it, as it does definitely have a sort of atmosphere, but while I could somehow get through one "song" (as they're usually around 20 minutes), an album is way too much for me. The problem is that I love variety and even a boring album can be way better if it's diverse. The other way around the effect is much stronger for me.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
God maudlin of the Well's 'Bath' and am listening to track 1 as we speak. I'm not used to doom-flavoured music so I'll see how it goes, but loving the intro so far.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
God maudlin of the Well's 'Bath' and am listening to track 1 as we speak. I'm not used to doom-flavoured music so I'll see how it goes, but loving the intro so far.

The first time I listened to Bath, I shit my pants when 'They Aren't All Beautiful' started. I then came multiple times during Heaven and Weak, The Ferryman, Birth Plains of Astral Projection, and Geography. I never got the deposit back on my dorm room because of that album.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
22. Hella - Biblical Violence

mmmm math rock. Hella's signature combination of meth-addicted drumming and spastic tapped guitar riffs is at it's best in this song. The riffs are crazy and odd yet oh so catchy, the drumming is beastly, and the song manages to have a very organic structure to it, moving from one distinct section to another over the short course of three minutes, finally reprising the first section in a quick stop. It's an incredibly infectious song, and one I never tire of.

21. Chroma Key - Lunar

KevMo's amazing piano work on this song alone is worth the ticket, but if that's not enough, you get an incredible atmosphere built up from the subtle, effective percussion and well-placed samples of NASA-related samples. It's a beautiful, relaxing, song, and quite deserving of its place at number twenty one.

20. Between the Buried and Me
– Selkies: The Endless Obsession

I'm actually going to refrain from jerking off all over the solo, as I've come to realize it's not what I truly love about the song. Selkies manages to take all the elements I love about BTBAM – the prog, the balls-to-the-wall metal, the beautiful clean section, the stellar solos, and combine them into a song that just feels right. It goes from prog metal to OMGWTFBBQ metal to nice clean vocals to mellow guitar to holy shit this is awesome guitar, and manages to do this both concisely and without feeling like a bunch of sections pasted together, two of the biggest criticisms I can levy at what is an otherwise awesome band.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
If there is no Björk on this list I will be disappoint

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Nice idea, gunna follow this.

I like these top rated threads  :D

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Woah! Awesome choices. That is a great Chroma Key song. One of my favourites. And I saw Selkies live about a month ago. There was much  :hefdaddy and  :metal
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
19. Dillinger Escape Plan - Sunshine the Werewolf

Yesterday I was walking home from class, listening to this song, when the DESTROYER section comes in after the clean part; I blacked out and woke up in a janitorial closet holding a railroad spike with blood on my hands. True story. Sunshine the Werewolf is absolutely stunning. Badass riffs, lightning fast guitar runs, and a clean section that builds into one of my favorite musical moments ever.

18. Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

It was inevitable. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it, and it's obvious why. It's an epic that's able to build the tension up and down over the long run, but every individual section is still great. That's really all there is to say about that.

17. Pain of Salvation - Idioglossia

What is there to say about Idioglossia? It's awesome. Over the course of eight minutes it evolves and changes, with great prog metal, softer ballad-y type sections, great guitar solos, etc. etc. etc. For me the song hits god-tier about four minutes in; a nice guitar solo, some amazing layered vocals, and the a reprise of the 'Ashes' chorus that comes in at exactly the right time. Follow that up with an awesome guitar solo, and you have some brilliant music.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:24:27 PM by Sigz »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
How did you craft this list? Did you pick your 25 favorite bands, and then pick your favorite song from each band, and then order said songs; or are you simply picking 25 songs you really love? I can't tell because you have no repeats in bands yet.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
I just started listing out what I would consider my 'favorite' songs, then ordered them. There are a few repeat bands on the full list, but not many; it just kind of worked out that way.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
I just started listing out what I would consider my 'favorite' songs, then ordered them. There are a few repeat bands on the full list, but not many; it just kind of worked out that way.

Hmm that's awesome. I don't know if I'd be able to make a list like that myself, so right off the bat I have to applaud you for having such diverse taste.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
16. The Beach Boys - Wouldn't it Be Nice

I never really 'got' Pet Sounds as an album like so many others seem to, but this song is brilliant. The vocal work is top-notch, the rest of the orchestration adds perfectly to the song, and a special mention to the bassline, which I would consider to be one of the best basslines in rock music. Structurally it's brilliant, being short and concise yet taking the listener on a journey like every good song should.

15. The Human Abstract - Vela, Together We Await the Storm

This song is just fucking awesome from first note. The guitar work is the obvious highlight, being fast and technical but but always interesting, keeping the song driving ahead from section to section. The vocals range from hardcore screaming to clean singing, and are pulled off exceptionally well, with the lyrics complementing the music in a way that rarely happens in my book. Perhaps the highlight for me is around 2:05, “I'll show those dregs where all their slander has led / If it takes my whole life, for all the tears that I have shed they'll take it back” where the music builds the tension perfectly and finally explodes with TAKE IT BACK. All of this combines to make an incredibly infectious song, and one that I find myself turning to often.

14. Transatlantic - Stranger in Your Soul

You had to see this coming. Arguably the greatest the prog epic ever, Stranger in Your Soul is simply wonderful in every way. The reprise of the “and I can see it now” section at the end is one of the most epic moments in music, and the rest of the song is chock full of greatness.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:14:25 PM by Sigz »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
15. The Human Abstract - Vela, Together We Await the Storm
:metal

The whole album is fucking epic.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

I never really 'got' Pet Sounds as an album like so many others seem to, but this song is brilliant. The vocal work is top-notch, the rest of the orchestration adds perfectly to the song, and a special mention to the bassline, which I would consider to be one of the basslines in rock music. Structurally it's brilliant, being short and concise yet taking the listener on a journey like every good song should.

One of my favourite songs from one of my favourite bands ever  :heart (Top 5 band)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

I never really 'got' Pet Sounds as an album like so many others seem to, but this song is brilliant. The vocal work is top-notch, the rest of the orchestration adds perfectly to the song, and a special mention to the bassline, which I would consider to be one of the basslines in rock music. Structurally it's brilliant, being short and concise yet taking the listener on a journey like every good song should.

One of my favourite songs from one of my favourite bands ever  :heart (Top 5 band)

:metal I really need to get more of their stuff.

Offline masterthes

Kudos for having my favorite Beach Boys song on here