Author Topic: Nigthwish appreciation thread  (Read 20495 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nigthwish appreciation thread
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »
Adami, have you watched End of an Era?  One thing I noticed about that video that is a bit unique is that there seem to be a lot more crowd shots than most other videos (and by crowd shots, I don't just mean shots where the main camera pans way back and you can see the stage and the crowd, but more closeup shots of people from the front or side).  Most of them are young girls, but then there's this shot at the end after the band leaves that always cracks me up where there is this older guy with a beard who has this look on his face like, "I am just completely mindblown and speechless after what I just witnessed."  :lol

Ive noticed this and its pretty funny.  Whats also funny are the young girls who look like they are whiping tears during the intro to Phantom of the Opera. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Yea, finnish teen girls are pretty funny.....and cute.

Last time I saw Nightwish, I wanted to leave early. It was the most boring and lifeless performance I have ever seen, and Anette was so terrible....just...awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
Whats also funny are the young girls who look like they are whiping tears during the intro to Phantom of the Opera. 

:lol  Yeah, they show that same group of girls quite a few times during the show.  But as far as them crying at the beginning of the song...well, I mean, it is that good, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
I've seen Nightwish with Tarja twice, and didn't cry. However, if I see them again with Anette and they decide to play Phantom of the Opera, I may start.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Because it would be so good, right? :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:09:22 PM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
I was actually surprised with Annette on songs from Tarja's era, they sounded much better than I expected.  What was so bad about her performance when you saw them?  Maybe I just had too low of expectations.

Offline Adami

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
I was actually surprised with Annette on songs from Tarja's era, they sounded much better than I expected.  What was so bad about her performance when you saw them?  Maybe I just had too low of expectations.

She does this thing.......like a trill kinda? Where the last note of every line she moves around it for a while. She does it like every god damn line, it just gets sooooo annoying. And she misses a huge number of notes. Plus the whole band was terrible when I saw them last, not just her. It seriously seemed like they just woke up, went on stage and played hoping to get off stage as soon as possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
By the way people, I'm running a Nightwish survivor currently. We're doing Angels Fall First at the moment, I urge you all to participate by voting for whatever song I vote for and not songs I want to stay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2010, 05:21:37 PM »
Yorost, that's how i feel people should enjoy concerts. Annette sounds great on Wish I Had An Angel, Nemo, and Dead to The World.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »
Whats also funny are the young girls who look like they are whiping tears during the intro to Phantom of the Opera. 

:lol  Yeah, they show that same group of girls quite a few times during the show.  But as far as them crying at the beginning of the song...well, I mean, it is that good, so...

Well yea, it IS that good, and it was the last time they would ever play it with Tarja so I understand the emotion.. its just still kind of funny to see.  I guess I am just not used to watcing concert DVDs with teenage girls crying in the crowd.

Offline Adami

« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
No one in the audience had any idea it would be the last time they played anything with Tarja.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »
No one in the audience had any idea it would be the last time they played anything with Tarja.

Really?  I thought it was known that it was the end.  The enitre band seemed really emotional that night too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »

Really?  I thought it was known that it was the end.  The enitre band seemed really emotional that night too.

The band (well minus 1 member) knew what it was. After the show they gave tarja a letter and told her to read it at home. They then posted the letter online. The letter was to fire her. She had no idea during the show, and neither did the audience.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »

The band (well minus 1 member) knew what it was. After the show they gave tarja a letter and told her to read it at home. They then posted the letter online. The letter was to fire her. She had no idea during the show, and neither did the audience.

Wow, that is really crazy.  I cant believe Tarja didn't know.  I kind of feel bad for that, but I don't really know the circumstances for which they asked her to leave.

Offline Adami

« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »
https://www.nightwish.com/en/article/6

IMHO, a complete dick move on Nightwishs part to make it public.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
I disagree. I think the fanbase deserved to know.

But could they have done it with a little bit more class? Sure.

Offline Adami

« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
I disagree. I think the fanbase deserved to know.

But could they have done it with a little bit more class? Sure.

"Things weren't working out"

Seriously, that's all the fans NEEDED to know. We didn't need several pages of bashing her husband. That's their business. If she wished to make it public as well, fine, but doing it all behind her back was a dick move.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
well, it's better than having a ton of rumors spread throughout Europe, and eventually making the truth incoherent compared to the bullshit. To this day, I am a die hard Tarja fan, despite her prima donna ways, and IMHO I would like to see Anette leave after the next album. She's run her course, and it's time to go back to the operatic ways of old.

Favorite albums in order best --> worst:

Century Child
Oceanborn
Dark Passion Play (Instrumental version)
Once
Wishmaster
Angels Fall First
Dark Passion Play (with Anette)

Favorite song: Beauty OF the beast

*appreciate*

Offline Adami

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2010, 12:18:44 AM »
"Tarja, we fired you because we think you have a horrible attitude, your husband is a douche bag and you don't care about the fans"

Really? We needed to hear that? Especially when it's so one sided? Bands should respect each others privacy, I doubt Tarja wanted them telling the world how much of a cock knocker her husband is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »
I doubt Tarja wanted them telling the world how much of a cock knocker her husband is.

I doubt there was someone out there that did not know that, he's been a douche forever.

Offline Adami

« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2010, 12:57:23 AM »
I doubt Tarja wanted them telling the world how much of a cock knocker her husband is.

I doubt there was someone out there that did not know that, he's been a douche forever.

It doesn't matter dude. If you got fired from a company, would you want the boss giving everyone else a memo about how much of a cock you are? It's just rude.

Not saying you're a cock by the way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »
Did they really call the guy a cock in the letter or is that everyone's insult of the thread?

Offline Adami

« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Did they really call the guy a cock in the letter or is that everyone's insult of the thread?

Finnish people don't call people cocks, I do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
It's good they posted the letter instead of basically saying what was already written.

Tarja fans are one of the reasons fans make me mad. but she apparently was a Bitch to The others and the main songwriter, so the truth is the truth, all you can do is live with it
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
I still think it's their business and it was rude of them to put it out in the open. People deserve some level of privacy, just because we want to know every detail doesn't mean they can have it explained without their consent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »

It doesn't matter dude. If you got fired from a company, would you want the boss giving everyone else a memo about how much of a cock you are? It's just rude.

Not saying you're a cock by the way.

It's ok, I know I'm a cock  :loser:

I agree that you shouldn't post a pubic memo all over the business email when someone gets shitcanned, but it's still a sticky subject.

Offline Adami

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
People leave bands all the time. Usually we get very little explanation, and it's fine. All this did was piss people off and make everyone debate each other.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline robwebster

« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
I dunno. Thing is, she didn't ask them to publicise it, but they didn't ask her to take the band for granted and the fans for granted and blow them off to go to the cinema. If you're going to be a bit of a bitch, I don't think you're in any position to complain when your friends say "Oh, her. She's kind of a bitch."

Besides which, with the amount of loyalty the fans had to Tarja I kinda think they needed to go "look. this is why we're doing it" or else all hell would've broken loose. Moreso. I'd say what Nightwish did was fair and rational.

Although I fucking loved that they just stuck it on the end. "P.S. This is an open letter." Crowning moment of badassery, right there.

But yeah. I don't think there's anything unfair about it - she got her comeuppance, really. If you go around shafting people it's inevitable that you will get shafted back, and after the amount of dicking she reportedly did ("I know we've had this gig in the pipeline and it is SOLD OUT but i'd like to do a bit of rehearsing and then maybe go to the cinema?) she'd kind of earnt it. I think it'd've been a miscarriage of justice if they went around going "oh she's lovely." Or even "oh we're indifferent to her." Fair's fair.

Offline Adami

« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
Well I guess I'm alone in my thought that celebs should have privacy, despite how much of a "diva" they are.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline robwebster

« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
I don't disagree that they should have privacy. But I don't think that's an all-access pass to do whatever you like without anyone judging you. Nor do I think anyone's obliged not to mention it, and I kind of think if you wind up your band members up to the degree that they go blabbing about it then it's your own stupid fault for being a bit of a nob.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Is the production on the song "Over the Hills and Far Away" really this atrocious or does the Youtube video I'm watching just have atrocious sound quality?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2010, 11:08:23 PM »
The youtube video butchers it beyond recognition.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »
That's a relief. I could barely believe what I was hearing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2010, 04:50:25 AM »
Bye Bye Beautiful's lyrics are horribly childish.

And in relation to the Tarja incident - I find it odd that they would do such a thing, after Tarja kept the band together in earlier days when Tuomas was doing an idiot and nearly split the band...

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
Bye Bye Beautiful's lyrics are horribly childish.

And in relation to the Tarja incident - I find it odd that they would do such a thing, after Tarja kept the band together in earlier days when Tuomas was doing an idiot and nearly split the band...

So is Master Passion Greed, but I think that one is more about Tarja's boyfriend and douchelord