Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 40021 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Horror films
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
Just saw the movie "Daybreakers", starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Defoe and Sam Neill.
Anyone else seen it?

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2010, 12:02:32 AM »
Just saw the movie "Daybreakers", starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Defoe and Sam Neill.
Anyone else seen it?

Unfortunately . . .

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:44 AM »
oh yea.

human centipede?

stupid. terrible. not funny. not even that disgusting.

dont waste your time

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2010, 04:04:48 AM »
I saw a trailer for that, it looks so ridiculous.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
I hope to se the Elm Street remake soon. I'll go in with neutral expectations.

In the meantime, I think everyone here should check out a movie called Burnt Offerings.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
Slight bump.

I bought Audition yesterday and I watched it today with Rina. The fun part? She had never heard of it and I told her it was a romantic drama :xbones (She doesn't like torture, etc.)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
Audition would have been a good film, had it been 20-30 minutes shorter and a little more of things, y'know, actually happening. It was such a waste of a cool concept, in my opinion.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
Audition would have been a good film, had it been 20-30 minutes shorter and a little more of things, y'know, actually happening. It was such a waste of a cool concept, in my opinion.

I understand what your'e saying, as some of it could've probably been cut and stuff. But I really like how they don't show/tell you much until the final act. The only thing that occurs withing the first 3/4's of the movie that hints to the climax is the first time you see Asami's apartment. As soon as you see the bag move, you know that she's trouble, but its just kinda leaves you threre to wonder whats going to happen. Plus the beginning really helps you attach to the father and son a bit more, both of whom I relaly liked.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
Slight bump.

I bought Audition yesterday and I watched it today with Rina. The fun part? She had never heard of it and I told her it was a romantic drama :xbones (She doesn't like torture, etc.)
Reading about it on wiki. I was cool with everything until this:

Asami vomits into a dog dish and places it on the floor for the man. The man sticks his face in the bowl of vomit, and hungrily consumes it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
I love Miike films. Was obsessed like ten years ago with keeping up with his work. Kinda fell out of a while back.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
Slight bump.

Reading about it on wiki. I was cool with everything until this:

Asami vomits into a dog dish and places it on the floor for the man. The man sticks his face in the bowl of vomit, and hungrily consumes it.

Thats one of the best parts

Offline Volk9

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Just had a "Monsterfest" last night with a few others. We stayed up from 10pm-6am. We watched:

REC
Saw 2
High Tension
Stay Alive
Saw 3

REC was my favorite, follow by HT

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
***RESURRECTION BY LIGHTNING BOLT***

Don't have a lot of time, just wanted to say that the only movie by Platinum Dunes that didn't completely suck was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I remember liking The Amityville Horror, though I've only seen it once.

My brutha's a huge fan of the TCM remake so I've watched a few times, and it's pretty good. I can't say the same for Nightmare or Friday. Those were fucking horrible, but after watching the original TCM, I think my opinion of the remake skyrocketed. The original was god awful.

Offline jag66

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
Just had a "Monsterfest" last night with a few others. We stayed up from 10pm-6am. We watched:

REC
Saw 2
High Tension
Stay Alive
Saw 3

That's a really good way to spend a day.

REC and High Tension (Switchblade Romance some people may recognise as) are both brilliant films imo, as you say particularly REC - premendously well done.

Has anyone seen Martyrs, Frontieres or Inside (L'interiour). Not sure if you class them as horror but they're major league gore/mind f**ks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
I've always been a big fan of the 80's cheesy horror movies.  Obviously the Friday and Nightmare movies are all great.  But so were movies like Chopping Mall and My Bloody Valentine.  Also love the heavy metal horror movies like Trick or Treat, Monsterdog, Black Roses and Rock n Roll Nightmare.  Pure cheese.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
There's something about horror movies that I'm drawn to but in the end there are so many that I just can't stomach.  Movies with torture like Saw or Hostel just gross me out too much.  I'm more interested in the scary stuff not the carving out guts stuff. 

Some of the older movies like Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, or House of the Haunted Hill I've always loved.

I also like the any vampire movies.  Old ones.  New ones.  Although it's not scary I think Lost Boys is great.  30 Days of Night was great!  The old Salem's Lot scared the crap out of me when I was little.

For me anytime there's a movie about the paranormal (Poltergeist), creepy (The Ring), possession (The Exorcist), or aliens (Signs, The Body Snatchers, the Alien) I'll like it.

I think zombies are pretty stupid but will still watch the movies.

I just don't get to watch movies that much so there's so many that I think I'd love that have recently come out.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
***RESURRECTION BY LIGHTNING BOLT***

Don't have a lot of time, just wanted to say that the only movie by Platinum Dunes that didn't completely suck was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I remember liking The Amityville Horror, though I've only seen it once.

My brutha's a huge fan of the TCM remake so I've watched a few times, and it's pretty good. I can't say the same for Nightmare or Friday. Those were fucking horrible, but after watching the original TCM, I think my opinion of the remake skyrocketed. The original was god awful.

I felt TCM: The Beginning was far superior.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
I love horror! I'll try and list my favorites without too much thought.

1. The Exorcist
2. The Shining
3. 1408
4. Poltergeist
5. Hellraiser 1 & 2
6. The Ring
7. Drag Me To Hell
8. Nightmare On Elm Street
9. Rosemary's Baby
10. Insidious
11. The Amityville Horror
12. The Omen

I'm sure I'm forgetting one that might be top 12 but all these are very cool.
Slasher films do nothing for me so none are on my list.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
Saw IT the other day. What a waste of time... though great Pennywise the Clown performance. Too bad the other people in the cast couldn't act if it meant it would save their lives. Terrible.

Some friends of mine tell me that this movie Chains is the scariest movie they have ever seen. We'll see.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:58 AM »
The Exorcist is an amazing movie!!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
Saw IT the other day. What a waste of time... though great Pennywise the Clown performance. Too bad the other people in the cast couldn't act if it meant it would save their lives. Terrible.

Some friends of mine tell me that this movie Chains is the scariest movie they have ever seen. We'll see.
I can't find anything online about a movie called, "Chains". Are you sure that's the name of it?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Volk9

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »

REC
Saw 2
High Tension
Stay Alive
Saw 3

That's a really good way to spend a day.

REC and High Tension (Switchblade Romance some people may recognise as) are both brilliant films imo, as you say particularly REC - premendously well done.

Has anyone seen Martyrs, Frontieres or Inside (L'interiour). Not sure if you class them as horror but they're major league gore/mind f**ks.

I've heard of Martyrs and Inside; been meaning to watch them.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

I can't find anything online about a movie called, "Chains". Are you sure that's the name of it?
I just asked my friend for the info, she'll reply soon. I think this movie was SO heavy that it got banned, lol. Anyway, I'll look for it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
It's been awhile since I found a new great horror film. I got so consumed with it last year that I guess I burned myself out on it. I'm content with the many that I've found, though.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »

That's unfair. A mammoth novel was squashed down into a two part made-for-TV mini-series. I think they did the best they could given the circumstances. Pennywise is one of Tim Curry's most memorable and chilling performances (perhaps next to Darkness in Legend). I think the adult actors are great and the kids acted like kids; stiff - but it moved the story along. Its visually strong and Tommy Lee Wallace's direction is more then adequate.

I say read the book and view the film as a visual aid. The emotional core is still there and that's what matters.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
No, the acting was pretty bad, but you had TV sitcom stars and D listers doing a horror movie so I can't imagine shining moments from any of them. I think the kids acted better than they did. I haven't seen it an at least 4 years, but I remember being disappointed by it. Kinda like any 80s or early 90s cartoon I used to love.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
So,

Martyrs.

Offline jag66

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
So,

Martyrs.

What do you think of it? It's a while since I saw it, but recall it being extremely uncomfortable viewing, but with a thought provoking ending non the less, unlike some of the recent torture for the sake of torture films.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:15:21 PM by jag66 »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
That's basically how I felt. I don't consider myself squeamish, but I winced quite a few times. It's elegant and thought-provoking in its own grotesque way, though, and the ending was excellent. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
Martyrs (spoilerish?) has the greatest horror opener ever (after the prologue).  I also really liked how they masked the movie with an overall meaning/purpose; even if it is just a vehicle for the torture, it's better than the torture/horror being the vehicle for the plot like almost all horror movies.  I also really like how it's separated into two very tonally different acts; it's a real curveball.  Not many things in horror movies have made me wince, but some of the special effects in this movie are brutal.  I have it as my #3 on the first page.  I'm anxious to watch it again on/around Halloween.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »

I couldn't see myself enjoy IT if I first saw it as an adult.  It scared the crap out of me as a kid, though, so I enjoy it now for nostalgia's sake.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
The Blair Witch Project.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
Martyrs, like a lot of French horror, is visually stunning but really nothing mind-blowing in the story development. I'd say the same for High Tension. I'd actually say I liked Inside better then both of those.

Offline jag66

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
Martyrs, like a lot of French horror, is visually stunning but really nothing mind-blowing in the story development. I'd say the same for High Tension. I'd actually say I liked Inside better then both of those.

I enjoyed all 3, but I think prefered High Tension overall.