Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 40009 times)

Offline HarlequinForest

Re: Horror films
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
I haven't seen Ju-on, but I have seen Ringu, and I actually thought The Ring was better.

By the way, one of the movies I mentioned, A Tale of Two Sisters, is Asian horror, too; an excellent mix of substance, atmosphere, and scares.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
Best Asian horror film is Audition, the film just fucks with you so much.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
Audition was a good concept that was executed in the most boring, drawn-out, unimaginative way. I just didn't see what all the hype was about.

Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite horror series has a whole. Parts 2 and 4 are so underrated! It's a shame. The only one I can't stand watching is Freddy's Dead, which was pretty crappy.

Regarding Let the Right One In, I don't think it's fair at all to judge a movie based on how true it holds to the book it was adapted from. It should be judged on its own merits, and LTROI is amazing on its own merits. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Great to see some love for The Exorcist and The Evil Dead trilogy, but I'm surprised at the lack of Black Christmas fandom  :-\ If you guys haven't seen it, watch it. It's the best horror film ever in my eyes, but avoid the remake at all costs. It's not just bad for a remake, it's a bad film period.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
I've been meaning to watch Eraserhead for some time, if that even counts.

That movie gets my  :| seal of approval.

If we're counting zombies, '04 Dawn of the Dead remake easily.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Black Christmas is decent, but a bit overrated. Kinda like Led Zeppelin - I'll never deny it's influence, but it didn't have any severe impact on me.

I like a lot of David Lynch stuff. Twin Peaks is my favorite TV show of all time. His mindless stuff is a bit numbing. I prefer his story-telling that observes the secrets that dwell under the the superficial world we live in - his surreal day-in-the-life dramas, like Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, Mulholland Drive etc.

Anyone who thinks the Dawn of the Dead remake is superior to the original is a whacko. It was entertaining, but George Romero's original Living Dead trilogy are masterpieces. Untouchable horror milestones. The only remakes I'd put on par (or higher) with their original counterparts would be The Thing and The Fly.

Audition is a slow burn and I'm okay with that sort of set up. It has an eerie build but you have to be patient. I feel it delivers, although I can understand people giving up on it. But as I've stated, I love Miike's work and Audition is one of his best, along with Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris, City of Lost Souls and the Dead or Alive trilogy.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
A really good movie if you enjoy psychological horror is Perfect Blue. Don't let the fact that it's anime scare you off, it's a great movie.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
Somehow I'd never heard of "Burnt Offerings" before reading the first post.

Now I shall try to find a DVD/VHS of it to watch.

Also, I approve of The Evil Dead.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
Anyone who thinks the Dawn of the Dead remake is superior to the original is a whacko.
God forbid we have opinions. I love the new one, and I haven't seen the old one - there's a good chance I never will, and I'm fine with that. That's not to say I wouldn't mind seeing it. I do, however, enjoy realistic gore in my zombie movies.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »
I have no issues with opinions. Many of my very own are disagreed with. I am simply expressing my feelings on the subject. I don't think less of certain persons because of their statements.
An example was of someone I know expressing love for the popcorn blunder that was Van Helsing, yet admitting that they never watched any of the original Universal Monster movies originally featuring the characters. It's just a matter of respecting history, I suppose. I happen to love the cinema and have a great passion for films and sometimes certain things make me put my face in my palms for a moment.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
I have no issues with opinions. Many of my very own are disagreed with. I am simply expressing my feelings on the subject. I don't think less of certain persons because of their statements.
An example was of someone I know expressing love for the popcorn blunder that was Van Helsing, yet admitting that they never watched any of the original Universal Monster movies originally featuring the characters. It's just a matter of respecting history, I suppose. I happen to love the cinema and have a great passion for films and sometimes certain things make me put my face in my palms for a moment.
To be fair, I don't think you can fully appreciate a remake if you compare it to the original in every way, shape, and form. Maybe part of the reason I love DotD is because I can appreciate it for what it is, not what its predecessor is.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
A really good movie if you enjoy psychological horror is Perfect Blue. Don't let the fact that it's anime scare you off, it's a great movie.

Lol, I first read that thinking Blue Submarine No. 6, and I was like "Wtf? Thats not a horror anime" :)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 01:02:33 AM »
Perhaps, but if a film wishes to not be associated with the that which it is remaking/rebooting/relaunching/whatever, then it should change it's title and make proper adjustments to the script to reflect this. Otherwise, it will inevitably be held to a set standard. I understand that it's a marketing tool - using a previous film's success and legacy to promote your own. A great majority of the movie-going audience will not be made upset by this, usually because the audience is newer, younger and less connected to the original film; they don't find it to be stumbling upon sacred ground like movie nerds such as myself do.
I compare it to a cover song. It needs to respect the original yet try to be unique. It's a really hard balance. It's something that only those with a truly original and fresh perspective on a classic piece of art should take a shot at.
It's similar to saying a sequel shouldn't be held to the standard of the original. But of course that doesn't make sense. If you choose to mooch, it better be for a good reason. Doesn't have to be better, but at least has to try to expand on something and justify our time in investing in it. Often, films of this nature tend to fail to meet these expectations. But occasionally you get something that succeeds.
An example of a successful relaunch would be Hammer's Horror of Dracula. It's a retelling of a classic story, but it's a fresh take, yet doesn't take anything away from the original film adaptation from Universal. Also, I previously mentioned The Fly and The Thing, both falling into the same category. Films that fail to succeed in this category are the recent rash of slasher remakes, including Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even Rob Zombie's take on Halloween (although I enjoy it, Zombie missed much of what made the Myers' character appealing in the first place, which was subtlety and mystery).

Not to say the Dawn remake wasn't a decent popcorn film, but it isn't a film that will go down in history. A hundred years from now, the original Dawn of the Dead will be looked upon as one of the most important films ever made and a landmark in the genre.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »
A hundred years from now, the original Dawn of the Dead will be looked upon as one of the most important films ever made and a landmark in the genre.

Eh, probably not.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »
Right because Lugosi's Dracula and Karloff's Frankenstein aren't seen as being important films nowadays :tup

Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween and Romero's Night and Dawn will be the modern equivalence of those sorts of films. The 60 or 70 years difference won't mean much in time as the icons of the genre will blend and last forever. I cite films like Scream and Saw as the newest entries on the list of trend-setting genre films that will be remembered when most of the knock-offs are brushed over and forgotten about.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:09 AM »
I'm not gonna argue, you are right.

Now, how often does that happen on the internet?

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
I highly recommend checking out Trick R Treat.  Came out on DVD last year.  Was supposed to have been released in theaters back in 2007 until the producers pulled it from theaters for no good reason.

It involves 4 inter-twining stories during a Halloween night.

I'm also a big fan of John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy-
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:33:36 AM by Serpentor »
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
I highly recommend checking out Trick R Treat.

For sure.  The best straight-to-DVD movie ever; it will probably become a Halloween tradition to watch it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
Trick R Treat was amazing. The set design and camera work perfectly grabbed that Halloween vibe that so many films based on the holiday seem to never be able to capture. The best Anthology film in probably 20 years.

John Carpenter is my all-time favorite American director. Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape From New York, The Thing, Christine, Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness, They Live, In the Mouth of Madness etc. The man was pretty much unstoppable for 20 years, cranking out the goods. I'm hoping his new film lives up to the potential of his classics.

As for being "right" on an argument, I'm not trying to win any battles. Just strongly wording my opinion with some explanation so that I don't seem like some loon just saying silly things for the sake of it. I firmly believe what I say. Sorry if I came off as snobby. I simply wish to approach the subject from an educated point of view. I don't like to see films disregarded as pieces of fluff. Sure, they can be entertaining, but a handful truly are works of art and deserve the respect to be viewed as such. Time will tell.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
Somehow I'd never heard of "Burnt Offerings" before reading the first post.

Now I shall try to find a DVD/VHS of it to watch.

Also, I approve of The Evil Dead.
I highly recommend it :) It's like a much more artistically coherent version of the Amytiville Horror, or The Shining, but I love The Shining.

And John Carpenter is an amazing director. He's my favorite horror movie director along with Mario Bava, Sam Raimi, Dan Curtis, Wes Craven, and Dario Argento.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:55 PM »
Let the Right One In (2008)

:hefdaddy
:tup It's one of my favorites for sure

Just watched this now, and I'm reading that they're making another one?

"Let Me In (2010)

Main article: Let Me In (film)

An English language film adaptation is scheduled to be released on October 1, 2010. The main characters names have been changed to Owen and Abby in order to make the film more American, and the more controversial content such as Eli being a castrated boy been omitted to make it more palatable for American audiences."

Why is this necessary?  :\ Only in America.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

"Let Me In (2010)

An English language film adaptation is scheduled to be released on October 1, 2010. The main characters names have been changed to Owen and Abby in order to make the film more American, and the more controversial content such as Eli being a castrated boy been omitted to make it more palatable for American audiences."

Well, it's for profit, just like every film that's ever been created in the history of cinema  :P

But I get your point. It's a shame they're dumbing it down because they think American audiences aren't smart enough, or maybe too sensitive, which maybe they are. I dunno. It sounds like it's gonna be a major drop in quality, but such is life, I guess...

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »

"Let Me In (2010)

Well, it's for profit, just like every film that's ever been created in the history of cinema  :P

But I get your point. It's a shame they're dumbing it down because they think American audiences aren't smart enough, or maybe too sensitive, which maybe they are. I dunno. It sounds like it's gonna be a major drop in quality, but such is life, I guess...

The Swedish one didn't really include any of the controversial things either (spoiler: Hakan (aka Eli's caretaker) isn't explicitly portrayed as a pedophile, and it is only very vaguely implied that Eli is a castrated male).

I'm not inherently against remakes, as I judge them individually on their own merits, but the fact the remake is being made by Cloverfield director Mate Reeves does not give me hope.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »

The Swedish one didn't really include any of the controversial things either (spoiler: Hakan (aka Eli's caretaker) isn't explicitly portrayed as a pedophile, and it is only very vaguely implied that Eli is a castrated male).

I'm not inherently against remakes, as I judge them individually on their own merits, but the fact the remake is being made by Cloverfield director Mate Reeves does not give me hope.
I definitely won't argue with that, but this one sounds like it's going to be really tame. And I personally enjoyed the subtle implications they made about Hakan and Eli's gender.

And Matt Reeves doesn't exactly resonate with me either.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 02:07:59 AM »

I definitely won't argue with that, but this one sounds like it's going to be really tame. And I personally enjoyed the subtle implications they made about Hakan and Eli's gender.

And Matt Reeves doesn't exactly resonate with me either.

Agreed on all accounts.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »
Gonna check out the Nightmare on Elm Street remake tomorrow at noon. Not really too excited for it (as I stated earlier, I dislike remakes for the most part) but I started a new job and get Fridays off now so I'm gonna make a point to check out stuff on opening day more. The last horror film I saw in the theater was a disappointing remake (Wolfman) and before that was a sequel to a disappointing remake (Halloween II), so my expectations are low. At this rate, I may just wait for Saw 3D in October before making another horror venture. I'll also check out Kick-Ass while I'm there to balance out the palette. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:26 AM »
My boyfriend is a huge horror movie fan. He prefers the pre-90s movies like Nightmare or Friday the 13th. Also a huge zombie movie fan, looks like this thread will be a good resource for me to find us new movies to watch!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
Gonna go see Freddy tonight. It has a 13% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes right now, but that doesn't deter me. Seems like most horror films these days get terrible reviews, and I generally like them regardless.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:31:28 PM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
Just watched the remake of the movie "The Crazies", haven't seen the original.
I liked it very much, i really like horror-movies that takes place in a small abandoned town or something like it, creates a very claustrophobic-feeling.
Another great example of that is a vampire-movie called "30 days of night".

Anyhow, back to "The Crazies"...
The plot is kinda simple, a plane crashes in the water at a small town.
The cargo is some sort of biochemical-toxin, that quickly spreads to the town's water supply.
People starts acting very weird, and it quickly becomes a "don't get infected, survive!" type of movie.
I wasn't all that familiar with the cast, though i have seen Timothy Olyphant (who plays the lead) before, in movies like Die Hard 4 and Hitman.
I think his performance was really good here.
It also features Radha Mitchell (Surrogates), and Danielle Panabaker (Shark - the tv series).
Overall i think i'd give the movie 8/10.
It was a really positive surprise. :)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Yeah, let's nuke a town right in the middle of the US, nobody will ever notice!!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
Yeah, let's nuke a town right in the middle of the US, nobody will ever notice!!
Hey, it worked in AvP2.

Wait... No it didn't.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
Drag Me to Hell was awesome. It's the closest thing to Evil Dead 4 we'll ever get.

As for the Nightmare remake...the good news - it's much better then I expected it to be.

BUT - my expectations were incredibly low to begin with, so in all honesty, the film teeters between decent...and not so decent. I suppose I say its worth a watch - one, to be precise, and nothing more. Otherwise you may pick it apart and truly begin to dislike it. It had a lot to differentiate it from the original. A lot of this was a plus. Some of it just fell flat and created large plot holes. The climx was...um...very anticlimactic :P

You know what though, 12 hours after the fact, thinking back on it, it had some decent grit and good jumps. Nothing that got me, but stuff I could see working real well with young modern crowds. It had a nice slick look and some of the cinematography was neat (although there was too much fucking shaky-cam at times). There were a severe lack of practical effects too, and that upset me. Overall, I'd say this lies somewhere between the Friday remake (bad) and the Halloween remake (not as bad). But still, I say give it a go and support horror. I know that I'm conflicted because this may simply support more remakes to be churned out, but if the genre doesn't thrive and make money, all production of it will halt. They already said that a sequel to the Friday remake is dead in the water. I'm willing to be Nightmare doesn't get anything fast-tracked. I'm hoping that when the remake brigade slows down a bit, we'll get back to producing original scripts and telling some new stories.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
9. Drag Me to Hell (2009)

:facepalm:

Substantive input, chap.  But yes, that inclusion is just a reflection of how weak I feel the horror genre is (not to say I don't enjoy it very much), as I feel it generally aims at entertainment value rather than substance (much like action and comedy movies (both of which, however, have a better platform for adding substance)).  I still feel the film was pretty great, though.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Seriously guys, you should check out Perfect Blue. The scene with the stereo in the elevator is so fucking creepy (that will make way more sense if you watch the movie).

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
Nightmare on Elm Street remake comfortably lands in the "so bad it was good" category. The entire theater was laughing throughout the entire movie. It wasn't scary at all, but it was a lot of fun.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.