Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 39996 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Horror films
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
So I finally got around to seeing the 2011 version of The Thing and I actually really liked it.

I would consider the John Carpenter film to be either my top favorite or 2nd favorite horror film of all time and I had very high exceptions for this going in and for the most part, it delivers.

My only complaint was the "the thing" spent to much time in its creature/monster form and not enough time in the imposter human form. The key to the success of the original was that it was a constant mindfuck and you just never knew who was who and I don't think the remake utilized this to its full potential.

But besides that,  good job Remake Thing  :tup

and

Mary Elisabeth Winstead is so fine by the way  :heart

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
Just finally got around to watching Cabin in the Woods.

I liked it and thought it was very clever, but at the same time I wish I liked it more.

Up until the 3rd act I would say that I loved it, but then it went off the rails with the whole angry, mean gods in the earth's core who demand sacrifice, roarz  This is where they lost me.

Honestly it felt more like a comedy, since I never really felt scared and was laughing quite a bit.

Oh well, I still enjoyed it a lot though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:59:03 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jag66

« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
Just watched 'A Tale of Two Sisters' - wowsers..

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
A Tale of Two Sisters is a top 10 horror film for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
Everybody in this thread had better have seen Cabin in the Woods.  If not, buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Everybody in this thread had better have seen Cabin in the Woods.  If not, buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Yeah seriously. I've been dying to discuss it. Its too interesting not to.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »
This new M night film looks pretty damn good. Its called Split

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TouqfIsiI

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
^I saw it today. Very good. Easily Shyamalan's best movie since Signs. 8/10

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
A Tale of Two Sisters is a top 10 horror film for me.

Pleasantly surprised to see this mentioned here. A masterpiece.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread for it, we can discuss this here. What are everyone's favorite vampire movies? I'll name mine is chronological order.

Nosferatu
Dracula
Horror of Dracula
Salem's Lot (though the book is exceedingly better and also the best vampire novel besides Interview)
Nosferatu: The Vampire
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Interview with the Vampire
Nadja
John Carpenter's Vampires
Shadow of the Vampire
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
What are everyone's favorite vampire movies?

In no specific order:

Interview with the Vampire (1994)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Fright Night (1985)
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Bakjwi (Thirst) (2009)
What We Do in the Shadows (2014
Let the Right One In (2008)
Stake Land (2010)
Near Dark (1987)
The Night Flier (1997)
Salem's Lot (1979)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Nice list! I've seen all of those except Bakjwi, Stake Land, and What We Do in the Shadows.

I saw Salem's Lot many years ago. However, I didn't appreciate it as much until I finally got around to reading the book. It's almost like night and day. Just a brief tangent in regards to vampire novels. George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream is my third favorite vampire novel. It obviously gets overshadowed by A Song of Ice and Fire, but it deserves to be mentioned alongside it. That same literary brilliance he brings to ASOIAF he puts in Fevre Dream.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »
My list of favorite movies :corn with a vampire theme looks like this. In no particular order

Van Helsing (with Hugh Jackman)
Underworld 1 & 2
Blade 1 and 2 (Wesley Snipes was the perfect actor for this role)
John Carpenter's Vampires
From Dusk Till Dawn
Salem's Lot
The Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon me, But Your Teeth are in My Neck
Nosferatu: The Vampire
Dracula Untold
Georg A. Romero's Martin
Lifeforce (Vampires from outer space)
30 Days of Night

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »
Trailer for new IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc

I am looking forward to it

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
Looks like a freaky film for sure

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
Yikes. Read It 30 years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2018, 05:01:06 AM »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Just discovered this thread and I'll return to it later with some more comments. For now, a rough top 30 horror/giallo films:

The Exorcist (Friedkin)
Suspiria (Argento)
Friday the 13th Parts 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8
Demons (Lamberto Bava)
The Fly (Cronenberg)
The Fog (Carpenter)
Phenomena (Argento)
The Bloodstained Shadow (Antonio Bido)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Deep Red (Argento)
The Night Train Murders (Aldo Lado)
Inferno (Argento)
Tenebrae (Argento)
The Monster Squad
The Stand (Mick Garris)
Hellraiser 1, 2 and 3
The Burning
Sleepaway Camp 1, 2 and 3
Slaughter High
Opera (Argento)
Torso (Sergio Martino)
The New York Ripper (Lucio Fulci)
City of the Living Dead (Lucio Fulci)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
Just discovered this thread and I'll return to it later with some more comments. For now, a rough top 30 horror/giallo films:

The Exorcist (Friedkin)
Suspiria (Argento)
Demons (Lamberto Bava)
The Fly (Cronenberg)
The Fog (Carpenter)
Phenomena (Argento)
Deep Red (Argento)
Inferno (Argento)
Tenebrae (Argento)
The Monster Squad
The Stand (Mick Garris)
Hellraiser 1, 2 and 3
The Burning
Slaughter High
Opera (Argento)
Torso (Sergio Martino)

Nice list! Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento are probably my favorite horror directors. Demons would also make my top 5. Italian horror is awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2018, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Friday the 13th series.

Surprised to see you like part 8 but don't include part 4

Part 8 is such a bait and switch. The Manhattan aspect is only like 20 minutes and it's mostly not even Manhattan, but Vancouver lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
Yeah, Friday part 8 should probably be subtitled Jason Somehow Takes A Cruise Ship From Crystal Lake To Vancouver And Takes a Short Walk Across Times Square :) But anyway I love it. It's such a fun film, especially with all the plot holes (where did all the people on the ship go??) and hilarious depiction of NYC (barrels of raw sewage and acid with rats bathing in them).

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »

Yeah. 4 is my favorite of the series.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »

The Exorcist (Friedkin)
Suspiria (Argento)
Demons (Lamberto Bava)
The Fly (Cronenberg)
The Fog (Carpenter)
Phenomena (Argento)
Deep Red (Argento)
Inferno (Argento)
Tenebrae (Argento)
The Monster Squad
The Stand (Mick Garris)
Hellraiser 1, 2 and 3
The Burning
Slaughter High
Opera (Argento)
Torso (Sergio Martino)

Nice list! Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento are probably my favorite horror directors. Demons would also make my top 5. Italian horror is awesome.

Yeah, I see your avatar is from Zombie. I'm a huge Fulci fan myself. My top ten would be:

City of the Living Dead
The New York Ripper
Don't Torture A Duckling
The Beyond
Zombie (Flesh Eaters)
Aenigma
The Psychic
The House by the Cemetary
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
The Black Cat
Sodoma's Ghost
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:24:14 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »

The Final Chapter often comes top of most people's Friday the 13th rankings, and I do love it (I love the entire franchise, even Jason Goes To Hell), but for me, it brings nothing new to the table. It's basically the first 3 films squashed together. I don't engage with the characters as much as I do with Parts 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8.

But, Friday the 13th is my favourite horror franchise and I love all the films (except Freddy vs Jason, which is not a Friday movie to me, it's a Freddy movie).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »
I'm assuming you've seen it, but the documentary Crystal Lake Memories is an excellent watch if you are a fan of the series.

It's seven hours long so be prepared for that lol. But it's very in depth and covers everything about the series. The same guys made the documentary about the Nightmare movies which was very good as well.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Yeah, I have both Crystal Lake Memories and Never Sleep Again (the Nightmare on Elm Street documentary) on dvd. Excellent documentaries, very thorough.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
So here's a question for Stephen king/The shining fans

The one guy says to danny, that everything in the hotel is like pictures in a book, they can't hurt you. But when he goes into Room 237, you visibly see that Danny is roughed up, bruised and the shirt is torn.

What this pictures in a book statement just false? Is Room 237 exempt from the rule and what makes it special vs. the other violent/bad ghosts? or did jack just actually do it to him?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
New trailer for the upcoming Suspiria remake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6QKRl56Ok

This actually looks like it could be amazing. The original is one of my favorite movies.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
Finally caught Hereditary. creepy but good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »

The Final Chapter often comes top of most people's Friday the 13th rankings, and I do love it (I love the entire franchise, even Jason Goes To Hell), but for me, it brings nothing new to the table. It's basically the first 3 films squashed together. I don't engage with the characters as much as I do with Parts 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8.

But, Friday the 13th is my favourite horror franchise and I love all the films (except Freddy vs Jason, which is not a Friday movie to me, it's a Freddy movie).

Freddy vs. Jason does have an awesome soundtrack though. That's a nostalgic album for me there.

I should see some of these. I used to be a weird kid and was into horror movies. Was into Child's Play, Friday, Tales From The Crypt.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »
So here's a question for Stephen king/The shining fans

The one guy says to danny, that everything in the hotel is like pictures in a book, they can't hurt you. But when he goes into Room 237, you visibly see that Danny is roughed up, bruised and the shirt is torn.

What this pictures in a book statement just false? Is Room 237 exempt from the rule and what makes it special vs. the other violent/bad ghosts? or did jack just actually do it to him?

I'll give you my opinion, which is Danny's "shine" is just that strong.  What Hallorann says to Danny is how he (Hallorann) has experience the room and the hotel in general; Danny is much, much, much stronger than Hallorann.  That detail is developed much more in the book and lends itself to a better understanding of what Danny really is and what Jack really is (he has a bit of shine too).   Danny's shine is what wakes the hotel.

In this instance the book and movie truly are mutually exclusive in my opinion... I'm a fan of both, but I see them as different stories along the same arc. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
new Halloween movie actually getting positive reviews.  anyone venture to see it?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
I'll probably watch when its available on streaming.

I actually really enjoyed H20 genuinely and love resurrection for being so stupid. I also love season of the witch, but I know many people don't. Of course the first one is a classic. All the other ones just kind of exist for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
The new Halloween definitely looks pretty scary.

I don't think the first will ever be topped, but I personally like Halloween 2 and 4 alot.  If you haven't seen part 2, check it out for the hot tub scene.

I like the characters in part 4, and I think Rachel was killed off way too quick in part 5.

I've only watched parts of Season of the Witch, but never had much interest in it.  H20 was pretty good and this week I just rewatched it and also taped Curse of Michael Myers, which I've never watched before.  I just watched Resurrection once and don't remember much about it.  I do remember it being kind of dumb, but wasn't surprised.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
new Halloween movie actually getting positive reviews.  anyone venture to see it?

Saw it this weekend... I thought it was great!  Couple of twists I didn't see coming too, which is always a plus!

Best part about it is the ambiance... they NAILED the claustrophobic feeling of the first film and it felt like the natural progression from the first film.  JLC nails her role to the wall and it is more than believable (much more so than H2O in my opinion).  I had forgotten what a wonderful actress she is... and the daughter and grand-daughter are very good as well.  All-in-all I was very pleased with it and my excitement for it was justified!  If you like the first two films, you'll like this one as well.  There are nods to the other films too.

Honestly, Season of the Witch is really a good creepy movie and is one of my favorites now.  I used to think that it had no place in the set, but it explains well the Samhain aspect of Myers... and that scene with the parents and their children testing the masks is downright horrible.  It's campy in the 80's style, but the story (and that blasted song) are spot-on.  It's worth a watch if you like the first two movies.  Season of the Witch, for me, has become the Day of the Dead (the 85/86 version) for the Halloween franchise... there's much, much more there if you take the time to watch it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar