Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 40000 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Horror films
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
28 Days is probably in my top five films of all time. Outstanding.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2011, 06:37:37 AM »
I have no idea if zombie flicks are considered horror, but I enjoy Romero's movies very much.

Recently I watched:

Dark Floors (The Lordi Movie)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1979)
Lucio Fulci's Zombie (Zombi 2)

I do enjoy a good zombie movie  :)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
I have no idea if zombie flicks are considered horror

Why wouldn't they be? :P

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
The way they keep getting reused, some are turning into action (Resident Evil) and comedy (Shaun of the Dead, Dance of the Dead) more than horror. Besides, I laughed a lil bit when I saw the original Dawn of the Dead first time through.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
Sure, but they still qualify. I mean, honestly there has been so much cross-pollination with genres, but so long as it still has elements (i.e. Zombies :P) I for one think it still counts.

It really comes down to intent, too (going for "jump" scares and what not).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
I just watched the trailer for Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy... What the fuck happened to Monica Keena? She was unbelievably gorgeous in Freddy Vs. Jason, and now she looks like her face is melting....

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
I just watched the trailer for Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy... What the fuck happened to Monica Keena? She was unbelievably gorgeous in Freddy Vs. Jason, and now she looks like her face is melting....

And on the flipside, 25 years later Lisa Wilcox (from aNoES 4 & 5) has barely aged at all.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08:53 PM »

There are a lot of worse for wear looking folks in that doc. Just look at Tuesday Knight and Lezlie Dean.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
My taste in horror films have changed over the years
I love
Evil Dead
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
The Shining
but then my taste changed to the it could happen to you variety
SAW
Hostel
The Grudge
The Ring
Wolf Creek
even Paranormal Activity had me jump a few times.
I must admit I have seen the Swedish version and American of Let me in (where was cat lady in the american one?) and when in America purchased the book....the blurb sounded fantastic....but I can't see why it has such a huge following, it was okay...this is better than the initial dislike I felt...why do people love it so much?  :smiley:

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Has anyone seen Kill List ?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
I haven't seen Kill List, but I just saw Paranormal Activity 3 last week; I thought it was the best of the three.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
anything with Barbara Striesand in it...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »
My favorites...

The Exorcist
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
Poltergeist
The Ring
Dram Me To Hell
Insidious
Quarantine
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
A Nightmare On Elm Street (the original)
Fright Night (the original)
The Amity Horror (the original)
The Omen (the original)
The Descent
The Silence Of The Lambs
Jaws

not in any real order, just the order I thought of them.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »
Just watched Argento's Deep Red for the first time. Excellent film, and probably more coherent plot-wise than Suspira. I think I might like the overall concept of Suspiria slightly more, though.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
Just watched Argento's Deep Red for the first time. Excellent film, and probably more coherent plot-wise than Suspira. I think I might like the overall concept of Suspiria slightly more, though.

Deep Red is top ten for me. Best giallo ever.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »
Reading "Ghoul" by Brian Keene right now in preparation of the Chiller original movie on April 13th.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
My favorites...

The Exorcist
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
Poltergeist
The Ring
Dram Me To Hell
Insidious
Quarantine
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
The Omen (the original)
The Descent
The Silence Of The Lambs
Jaws

Nice list!

Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all times. I know it is considered by the mass majority (or maybe everybody) to be a horror flick. It never scared me, so I don't see it. I can imagine given the context and time period, it must have been totally different. From what I've heard, people didn't even think about the dangers of sharks until Jaw came out. After it came out, it made everybody hesitant to go in the water. Even then, from what I've researched (one week a year for the past 10 years on Discovery Channel), sharks aren't actually much of a threat to us at all. That's a totally different discussion though. Anybody have any enlightening evidence for me? Maybe a story of the first time you saw it? Why is this movie so scary?

-Tof

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »
My favorites...

The Exorcist
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
Poltergeist
The Ring
Dram Me To Hell
Insidious
Quarantine
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
The Omen (the original)
The Descent
The Silence Of The Lambs
Jaws

Nice list!

Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all times. I know it is considered by the mass majority (or maybe everybody) to be a horror flick. It never scared me, so I don't see it. I can imagine given the context and time period, it must have been totally different. From what I've heard, people didn't even think about the dangers of sharks until Jaw came out. After it came out, it made everybody hesitant to go in the water. Even then, from what I've researched (one week a year for the past 10 years on Discovery Channel), sharks aren't actually much of a threat to us at all. That's a totally different discussion though. Anybody have any enlightening evidence for me? Maybe a story of the first time you saw it? Why is this movie so scary?

-Tof
Thanks man. :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
So I'm watching Never Sleep Again, and I'm up to The Dream Master, and I've already seen Lisa Wilcox who looks stunning and I remember watching a short video of Lisa and Tuesday Knight's jewelery business and Tuesday looked pretty good too. So It's time for Tuesday's interview and OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Enjoying the documentary though. I'll probably skip The Dream Child section though. As terrible as Freddy's Dead is, it's still better than Dream Child.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »
Told ya, man. She's a mess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
That girl from Freddy's Dead :rollin :rollin WTF

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
So It's time for Tuesday's interview and OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:lol

Also, finally watched Dead Alive the other day. Can't believe it's taken me this long to see it. It's worth every bit of praise it gets. Fucking hilarious and fun as hell, and it reminds me a bit of The Evil Dead.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
I just watched a French zombie flick called The Horde and I was blown away by how well it was. Granted, that's probably because I expected to turn it off after five minutes or so and convinced myself it would be a cheesy, underdeveloped, campy motherfucker. It was none of that. It was well acted, the storyline was more or less the usual zombie-romp but it did its best to differentiate itself, and of course the zombies were up to par in both effects, 'realism' (ha I wish) and numbers. It's always great to see a zombie flick fail and one of the things that makes it so bad is that when the people are running for their pathetic little lives, there's like...4 zombies rambling towards them at .5 MPH. The movie was very cryptic about each person's motive throughout the movie and by the end I'm wondering who the real bad guys are: The criminals that the cops had to team up with (this isn't a spoiler for those reading who haven't watched, it's laid out in the premise of the film's story), the zombies, or the psycho tenants in the building they're stuck in.

All in all, I enjoyed this zombie film more than any other in a long, long time. It's nothing legendary and it won't go down in history as a genre changer for zombie lovers, but it's better than the usual bullshit from Romero these days (that fucking cop out shitbag) and I liked it more than 28 Weeks Later ('Days' will still reign for me as king for eternity more than likely). Anyway, if you're aching for a zombie flick like I was, I highly recommend this. It definitely satiated my desire for some rotting flesh and gruesome killing. For some reason I'm hearing LaBrie sing "THE SMELL OF STALE SWEAT AND SHIT STEAMING THROUGH THE NIGHT" in my head now... Hmm. Brrrraaaiiiiiiiiiinnns.... Pinky and the braaaaiiiiiinn. K.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »
I never will understand the fascination with Zombie movies? They bore the living shit out of me. To each his own.
I love Supernatural thrillers the best!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Hellraiser Inferno is decent.
In The Mouth of Madness and Jacob's Ladder are among my favorites not mentioned here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »
I never will understand the fascination with Zombie movies? They bore the living shit out of me. To each his own.
I love Supernatural thrillers the best!

:lol Awesome that you mention that because 'ghosts' and spirits make my head hurt I hate them so much. The supernatural genre in its entirety is so ridiculous to me because it's still made out to be a real occurrence in 'our' world. No one actually believes zombies exist, but there's plenty of people who think that ghosts and the like are real and that is unfathomably hilarious to me, especially the fear confounded by something one cannot so much as interact with (oh, unless you're possessed or haunted...my bad). Especially the movies, every single one is lathered with the same exact formula; one may say the same about the zombie genre but you'd be hard pressed to form an argument with examples when there's so many different variations of the story and so many different forms of the beings themselves (The Horde in particular put a spin on the way the story is told, for example, instead of the zombies themselves; it's main focus is actually the characters in the story, pitting them against each other and using the zombies merely as a catalyst to their insanity). I don't see the same ingenuity in the Paranormal Activity movies, for example. They're all chaulk-full of the same scare tactics, dogshit premise of some otherworldy being that can't be seen (how fucking boring is that) and to top it all off you can't even kill the thing...you've gotta use some religious 'power of christopher compels you' to expel it. Ugh.. Okay rant complete.

Indeed, to each his own.  ;D

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
I love zombie-movies, but sadly I don't think there are many good ones. Though I'll admit I haven't seen any of Romero's oldschool movies.
I really enjoyed the new version of Dawn of the Dead (from 2004), but both Diary of the Dead and Day of the Dead (if there are old ones, I'm talking about the newer) were pretty bad for me.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
I honestly don't recall a moment that I fear so much. Back in the days, I even couldn't sleep after watching Elm Street or kind but these days we don't have this quality. Especially after "A long hair, cursed, little girl" movie style I don't think horror film sector recover itself nicely.

As much as I don't like the subject "ghost or religious things" in film cos I think they are being cliché I kinda like "Insindious" lately.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
I like the "Trapped inside a mall cause there are zombies outside" scenario, it just speaks sex to me..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
I hate horror films.

Hate films that just make you feel nasty inside and miserable afterwards.

However - I did enjoy the " Cube " movies :)

The first one was obviously the best . Hypercube was silly but fun and Cube Zero was alright.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »

Nice list!

-Tof

Peter Benchley said If he knew what Sharks were actually like, he would never have written the novel.

Sharks are absolutely nothing like the monster depicted in Jaws. They're actually timid and only attack humans since they confuse them with their prey.

I think there are like 8 or 9 shark related attacks a year - a fraction of those are even fatal.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
Yeah, when I saw Never Sleep Again for the first time, I was fucking shocked at how much Tuesday Knight had changed. Lisa Wilcox, Heather Langenkamp, and Tracy Middendorf are sill very pretty, though. Too bad Patricia Arquette and Johnny Depp couldn't be in it, though.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
I just came into this thread to see if anyone mentioned Cabin in the Woods, yet. 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
I just came into this thread to see if anyone mentioned Cabin in the Woods, yet.

i actually just read up on it and i really want to see it. oddly enough i opened this thread to see if people were talking about it. it just seems like an awesome movie, and im not usually one for horror

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »

i actually just read up on it and i really want to see it. oddly enough i opened this thread to see if people were talking about it. it just seems like an awesome movie, and im not usually one for horror

I also am not a big horror aficionado, but I loved this movie.  It's a very. . . meta take on horror.