Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 40002 times)

Offline tofee35

Re: Horror films
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »
Here's a question for you horror fanatics: Do you get scared when you watch horror movies? Whether it be a first time watch or multiple.

For me, it's the cheap scares that make me jump. Halloween, for example, is supposed to be one of the scariest classic horror films of all time (the music, the setting, the realism, etc) To me, it's just fantastic, but not scary at all for me. But, everytime I've seen pee-wee's big adventure, Large Marge scares the crap out of me. I know it's coming everytime. I think parts of that movie should fall under the horror genre.  It gave me nightmares for all 28 years of my childhood

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
I vastly prefer the remake of Funny Games to the original (its done by the same director anyway). Its pretty much a frame-by-frame remake, but the actors for the two main characters in the remake are actually scary, funny, and interesting at the same time; something I felt the original actors lacked.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Here's a question for you horror fanatics: Do you get scared when you watch horror movies? Whether it be a first time watch or multiple.

For me, it's the cheap scares that make me jump. Halloween, for example, is supposed to be one of the scariest classic horror films of all time (the music, the setting, the realism, etc) To me, it's just fantastic, but not scary at all for me. But, everytime I've seen pee-wee's big adventure, Large Marge scares the crap out of me. I know it's coming everytime. I think parts of that movie should fall under the horror genre.  It gave me nightmares for all 28 years of my childhood

The only time that I've recently and genuinely been scared was watching the last 10 minutes of REC at midnight in a completely dark room.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Horror movies don't scare me at all. Last time I was creeped out was when watching The Ring back when it came out. Gross out horror has it's moments of, well, me being grossed out (mostly the breaking of finger nails), but movies like Saw don't scare me, and with slashers, I'm always rooting for the killer anyway.

Shows like The Walking Dead have grabbed me on a emotional level though.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
Most horror films don't scare me, but I've always been drawn to them. They're dark, grim, miserable, and an interesting part of life and art that the mainstream rejects. I think there is a lot of beauty to many horror films, too, which, sadly, a lot of movie fans choose to ignore.

Shows like The Walking Dead have grabbed me on a emotional level though.

Agreed.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »

I can certainly get sucked into the suspense of a scene if executed well, but cheap jumps rarely catch me off guard. I prefer a film that takes its time building an atmosphere that is unbreakable and gripping. But do I get scared? No. Not really. I was far too desensitized at a young age by too much exposure to stuff like this mixed with real-world soul-shattering experiences, so it never really gets to that point. I can certainly be filled with a sense of dread though, but I rarely end up enjoying a film that does that to me. I watch horror films more for the entertainment value and the nostalgia quality I get of reliving my childhood. I do quite enjoy vicariously living through others watching a favorite film of mine and getting sucked into the action, reacting to all the same bits I myself fell for so many years back.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
My Top 3 Horror films:

1. The Shining (Kubrick's version)
2. The Silence of the lambs
3. The Thing

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Has anyone seen the remake of The Thing yet.  Any opinions?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
Has anyone seen the remake of The Thing yet.  Any opinions?

I heard it wasn't very good, so I'll probably wait for the blu-ray. Its really a shame. I was ready to love this movie. Oh well.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:11 AM »
I heard the opposite, so judge for yourself and go see it.

I went to the Rock and Shock convention yesterday and got to meet Lance Henriksen, which was a thrill.
Grabbed a copy of his book. Also met several Nightmare on Elm Street related folks and saw Heather Langenkamp's documentary.

Purchased a copy of the new Return of the Living Dead documentary from the filmmaker. Very enjoyable, although they set the bar incredibly high with Never Sleep Again, their Nightmare documentary, which is possibly the greatest thing ever.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »
I heard the opposite, so judge for yourself and go see it.

I went to the Rock and Shock convention yesterday and got to meet Lance Henriksen, which was a thrill.
Grabbed a copy of his book. Also met several Nightmare on Elm Street related folks and saw Heather Langenkamp's documentary.

Purchased a copy of the new Return of the Living Dead documentary from the filmmaker. Very enjoyable, although they set the bar incredibly high with Never Sleep Again, their Nightmare documentary, which is possibly the greatest thing ever.

I still have to see this. Isn't it like 4 hours long?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »
Yes. Do yourself a favor and purchase a copy on Amazon. If you're even a moderate fan, this thing will consume you. It has excellent replay value as well.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »
Yes. Do yourself a favor and purchase a copy on Amazon. If you're even a moderate fan, this thing will consume you. It has excellent replay value as well.

Well, I don't know if I'd call myself a moderate fan...

:zook2:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
A REAL fan would've seen the damn doc already! :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »
Some of us REAL fans are poe foke.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
It's awesome, and definitely worth the money. My copy came with a poster signed by Heather Langenkamp.  :D

Oh, also, I watched these this weekend:

Evil Dead II
The Haunting (original)
The Shining

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Evil Dead II is a movie I've always loved, probably because I have very fond memories of watching it a lot when I was young.
The Shining is also such a classic, it's one of those movies that you can just re-watch whenever it shows on TV.
Another good example of those kind of movies would be Jaws and Alien (plus the sequel). I can't really put my finger on why I love them, but I can watch them over and over, because they have that quality.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
I love Aliens because it's fucking awesome. Aliens and Terminator 2 are probably in my top 5 movies of all time.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
I think The Shining is my favorite horror film.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
I watched the NOES and Friday 13th documentaries back to back.  I think I enjoyed the Friday one abit more; the Nighmare one is great but is a little too long.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
I watched the NOES and Friday 13th documentaries back to back.  I think I enjoyed the Friday one abit more; the Nighmare one is great but is a little too long.

I enjoyed the F13 doc, but my least favorite part was Tom Savini.

Offline Metal

« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Has anyone else seen the new 'The Thing'?  I went last night to the late showing with a buddy, I thought it was pretty good.  It stayed pretty true to the style and flow of the 80's film.  If you are a fan of the 80's movie, you should definitely check out this one.  I won't give anything away, but it is fun to see how the 2 movies interact. 
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
Does it end with Norwegian guy #1 getting shot in the eye, 'cause that would be awesome.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

The majority of horror fans have praised Never Sleep Again as the quintessential doc. I've never seen a more comprehensive piece. It is certainly the standard by which all others will be judged now. They are even trying to re-edit His Name Was Jason that is more like the structure of NSA. I for one never balk at quantity so long as its good, and NSA is nonstop fun and informative. His Name was Jason is really bogged down by the unnecessary segments with Savini. A voice-over would have sufficed. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
I tend to like the Friday series more overall so maybe thats why I enjoyed the doc more.  Some of the later Nightmare sequels are so bad they are just hard to watch IMO.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love both series quite a bit as well, but both stimulate a different part of the brain. Nightmare is very fantasy driven; creative and imaginative. Friday is much more brain-dead, chop'em up fodder. And I don't mean that in an insulting way. There's a time and a place. 

Both have their hit or miss entries, but I surely love nothing more then to watch them all chronologically is order, warts and all.
I rank the nightmare series as:

Nightmare on Elm Street (*****)
Dream Warriors(****1/2)
New Nightmare(****)
Freddy's Revenge(***)
Dream Child(***)
Freddy's Dead(**)
Dream Master(*)

I don't really know where the remake sits. I don't quite count it, honestly. Not to say I hate it, but its something else entirely. Quality-wise, I might fit it between Dream Child and Freddy's Dead. Freddy's Revenge was lower for some time but Never Sleep Again really opened my eyes to a lot I was missing in it and I have a new-found appreciation for it. I also met Mark Patton the other day who is really embracing its legacy, for better or worse, and I can't help but succumb to the enthusiasm.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
Freddy's Revenge and Dream Child above Freddy's Dead and Dream Master? ''what kind of drugs is he on?'' ''I don't know but I want some.''

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:35 AM »
I've always felt like The Dream Master was a highly unappreciated sequel. It's not as good as the holy trinity (original, Dream Warriors, and New Nightmare) but it's loads of fun, and Alice is a great protagonist.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »
As a whole, horror doesn't interest me much at all. Blair Witch, 28 Days Later, and The Walking Dead are the only three horrors I can think of that I really enjoy (having said that, I love all of those).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »
You lost me at Blair Witch.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
The Evil Dead trilogy is classic.

The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »
As a whole, horror doesn't interest me much at all. Blair Witch, 28 Days Later, and The Walking Dead are the only three horrors I can think of that I really enjoy (having said that, I love all of those).

You need to watch more horror films.  :millahhhh

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »
Yes, I hate Dream Master. Fuck Renny Harlin.

Dream Child is all sorts of fun and is very underrated. Possibly the best looking entry of the series. Big fan of Stephen Hopkins' work. And as I said, Freddy's Revenge was lesser for me until recently. Watch the documentary and see if you agree. Freddy's Dead shouldn't really be a surprise. Aside from being wasted, there is no time of the day that that film can be conceived as good.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
Freddy's Dead is hilarious. Granted the burn make up is the worst of the series, just beating out the old man with the purple eyeliner in Dream Child, but even as both films are incredible stupid, FD is just more enjoyable. Plus DC has my most hated kill that I still wont watch cause it grosses me out. Not to mention Super Freddy and the mortorcycle kill. Lisa Wilcox is pretty damn hot in that one though. I don't think anything will make me like FR. I've seen it enough times and the pool scene is the only thing worth while. Also, DM is pretty stupid at times, but it's the last entry before Freddy went full retard. Plus Freddy's make up was great.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
I recently re-watched the 28-movies, and while I do think the second one has quite a few plot-holes and annoying parts, it does compensate with a few frightening scenes.
The first one, 28 days later is a classic obviously.

Can't wait for a possible sequel, 28 months later would be cool.