Author Topic: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop  (Read 9346 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
I sincerely hope they keep Negan’s story arc from here on out near the same as they did in the comic. It’s perfect for his character and his story. I’m hoping Kang doesn’t screw his development as a character up because Gimple sure hamstrung her with the way he handled Negan.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
These last episodes has been great IMO, I'm happy with the way this show has been handled this last season. Definitely looking forward to the last two episodes of the season.

I really enjoy the hell out of this show. It got a little slow for a few seasons there, but it seems to have improved. What are your predictions for Negan? Do you think he's going to end up being a "good guy" and redeem himself? I've been wondering if he'll slowly start earning everyone's trust by doing something heroic, etc.

I think that seems it will be the case. I'm still unsure how I feel about that, but I've enjoyed Negan and I enjoyed the interaction with Michonne in last episode.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:40 AM »
I've been wondering how good this current series has been (so far).  I've really enjoyed it, but is it just a case of anything feels good after the mostly dross they served us with the previous two series? Or it it genuinely back to it best (or maybe better)?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
I've been wondering how good this current series has been (so far).  I've really enjoyed it, but is it just a case of anything feels good after the mostly dross they served us with the previous two series? Or it it genuinely back to it best (or maybe better)?

It's a bit of both IMO. The previous two seasons (somehow) were screwed up by Gimple. I honestly think that the head brass at AMC got too involved and that Gimple was more set on creating a nice cushy career for himself with the brand than actually creating a great story. He's shown that he can write great episodes and is creative...but for the life of me I can't figure out how he managed to  :censored up the 'All Out War' arc of the comic. It's choc full of great stuff. I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, but he was led and directed off course with the portrayal of Negan. Not by much....but he's 'off' a bit...just enough to drive comic book readers mad.

I think Kang has done a great job in re-shaping the show and re-establishing a good 'feel' or tone. The show 'feels' different in a good way. For the most part I don't get the sense that there have been many wasted episodes....whereas in seasons past you could count on there being 3-4 episodes that did literally nothing to further the story or character development.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
HOLY CRAP

Tonight's episode (The Calm Before) was incredible.  Won't say more until anyone reading this thread has some time to catch the episode, but that ending is so brutal.  Negan's introduction was so graphically violent and this was amazing to see with such emotional brutality delivered and lifted straight out of the comics.  Kudos to Angela Kang this year!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
What an episode...damn. And it's not even the season finale. Kang has really improved this show in just about every way.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »
HOLY CRAP

Tonight's episode (The Calm Before) was incredible.  Won't say more until anyone reading this thread has some time to catch the episode, but that ending is so brutal.  Negan's introduction was so graphically violent and this was amazing to see with such emotional brutality delivered and lifted straight out of the comics.  Kudos to Angela Kang this year!

Holy crap, indeed! That was a shocking and powerful ending.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2019, 06:25:35 AM »
HOLY CRAP

Yeah.....it was pretty good and executed well. ‘If’ I had to gripe at all it’d have been my preference that they kept it like the comic and had Ezekiel and Rosita on those pikes as well. But that’s a small nit pic. I think the episode was great and completely agree that Kang has revitalized the show.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
I agree, but the show can't continually kill a lot of its major characters, especially after losing Carl, Rick, and Jesus in the last two seasons.  They did a nice fake-out with Ezekiel and Alpha.  For me, the drama increased after each couple started splitting up.  I was expecting this to happen in the finale, so to have it happen in the second to last episode was a really good shift from the traditional set-up of this show.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »
Just catching up to this thread. I haven’t watched TWD since Negan first appeared and holy hell did the show change a lot.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »
Great episode, I really enjoyed it! I liked the back and forth in the narrative through the episode. I liked that the pike scene wasn't saved until the finale (or worse, make a cliffhanger out of it). I really like the direction the show has taken. Can't wait to see the finale.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
Seems like the 'finale' was last weeks episode with this episode really only lending to Negan's development and the revelation that there is another voice/community out there reaching out on the radio.

All in all I think this season was a major step up for the show......and it's no coincidence this happened in the wake of Gimple being benched and a fresh new, creative person in Kang given the reigns.

Looking forward to season 10 and to seeing how she continues the story.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
It's only a matter of time before she screws it up too.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
It's only a matter of time before she screws it up too.

I hope not. But, when Gimple came on as Show Runner he did quite well also. He turned Mazerras mess around pretty well. But somewhere along the line he went ‘corporate’ IMO. Hope Kang avoids that fate.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
This season was definitely the best in a long time, but I do think it's time to end the show. 10 Seasons is enough. Next season is Michonne's last season, and assuming Maggie never comes back, they're running out of characters people care about. Ratings are at an all time low and they'll just continue to get lower once Michonne leaves, so I think it's time to start thinking about the endgame. They're starting to catch up to the comics pretty quickly, and I think they could write the upcoming story arc into a fitting finale.
If they continue to follow the comics closely, this is my prediction for S10

A timeskip of a few months to get through winter. As cool as it was to see snow, I think it's a one time thing. The first half of the season is the continuing Whisperer conflict. Eugene or Ezekiel or somebody stays in contact with the person on the Radio. Negan goes off and kills Alpha to gain Michonne's trust. Daryl takes Dwight's role from the comics as the leader of the militia. Gabriel and a few other characters die in the war. Beta unleashes the giant herd on Alexandria. Michonne gets bit, taking Andrea's death from the comics. The herd is dealt with. Negan decides to go off alone and leave the DC area, and his fate is left open ended. Daryl and a group are sent off to meet up with the people from the Radio. Judith joins the group, and they travel to Ohio to the Commonwealth. Rick and Maggie are there, and idk they all live happily ever after.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
This season was definitely the best in a long time, but I do think it's time to end the show. 10 Seasons is enough. Next season is Michonne's last season, and assuming Maggie never comes back, they're running out of characters people care about. Ratings are at an all time low and they'll just continue to get lower once Michonne leaves, so I think it's time to start thinking about the endgame. They're starting to catch up to the comics pretty quickly, and I think they could write the upcoming story arc into a fitting finale.

A timeskip of a few months to get through winter. As cool as it was to see snow, I think it's a one time thing. The first half of the season is the continuing Whisperer conflict. Eugene or Ezekiel or somebody stays in contact with the person on the Radio. Negan goes off and kills Alpha to gain Michonne's trust. Daryl takes Dwight's role from the comics as the leader of the militia. Gabriel and a few other characters die in the war. Beta unleashes the giant herd on Alexandria. Michonne gets bit, taking Andrea's death from the comics. The herd is dealt with. Negan decides to go off alone and leave the DC area, and his fate is left open ended. Daryl and a group are sent off to meet up with the people from the Radio. Judith joins the group, and they travel to Ohio to the Commonwealth. Rick and Maggie are there, and idk they all live happily ever after.

I dig your prediction. Would work out perfectly actually....would be a fitting 'end'.

I think they could still play off the Walking Dead world and explore other places/times etc etc. if they wanted to stick with the Walking Dead. But I tend to agree that despite the show having a bit of rebirth they have for all intents and purposes caught up with the source material in the aspect of if they continue to tell the story at the 'new' pace that Kang has established (much quicker and less drawn out than Gimple) that they maybe have (2) full seasons left....but could do it in one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2019, 12:18:00 AM »
A new spin-off or something?

https://streamable.com/txpap
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »

I dig your prediction. Would work out perfectly actually....would be a fitting 'end'.

I think they could still play off the Walking Dead world and explore other places/times etc etc. if they wanted to stick with the Walking Dead. But I tend to agree that despite the show having a bit of rebirth they have for all intents and purposes caught up with the source material in the aspect of if they continue to tell the story at the 'new' pace that Kang has established (much quicker and less drawn out than Gimple) that they maybe have (2) full seasons left....but could do it in one.

I still think they blew it with Fear the Walking Dead (though I've heard the show was good). I was really hoping for several season of the epidemic slowly unfolding. I was not expecting to be in the full blown zombie apocalypse until several seasons in, and instead we got there in like 4 episodes.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2019, 08:11:32 AM »
I still think they blew it with Fear the Walking Dead (though I've heard the show was good). I was really hoping for several season of the epidemic slowly unfolding. I was not expecting to be in the full blown zombie apocalypse until several seasons in, and instead we got there in like 4 episodes.

FEAR has been a conundrum. S1 was solid.....S2 was utter rubbish.....S3 was it's best IMO....S4 had a strong first (8) episodes then wretched back half (8).....and now S5 has been all over the place. It's pretty obvious they don't know what type of story they want to tell. Which, is why S3 was so good. they had a very clear story they were telling and nailed it. They've been scatter brained ever since. handful of cool episodes followed by utter junk that a high schooler could write.

I 'like' the genre....so I'll always watch these shows.....but the lore and shine is long gone. I'm hoping the new spinoff takes a different approach but with Gimple still involved I suspect we get more of the same. Also very curious as to how these three Rick Grimes movies are going to go.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2019, 12:14:11 PM »
The new series is apparently filming in Hopewell, VA. Only about 30 minutes away from me. Interesting choice of location, but I'm still indifferent to any spinoffs.

I stopped watching FTWD after 1 season, and from what I've heard there isn't much reason to catch up with it.

I'm curious about the Rick spinoff movies(Which apparently takes place in Philadelphia), but I'm not sure about releasing it in theaters. Seems like it'd make more sense as a TV movie.

I've been rooting for the main show to wrap things up, and now that the comics are finished, I'm even more ready for it to be done. To put it in perspective, S9 ended around issue 145 and the comics end at issue 193. They're less than 50 issues away from the end, so they have to be thinking about an endgame unless they plan on veering away from the source material 100% (please god no).

I still stand by these predictions, but maybe change one thing since this probably won't be the final season.

End the season with the introduction of the Commonwealth, and have season 11 be a shortened season of maybe 10 episodes. Have Daryl and Judith and others arrive at the Commonwealth, and Daryl takes Rick role from the comics since Andrew Lincoln apparently isn't coming back. I don't care what else they do honestly, but the series finale should be issue 193 showing Judith all grown up and the rest of the characters living happily ever after.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
I'm curious about the Rick spinoff movies(Which apparently takes place in Philadelphia), but I'm not sure about releasing it in theaters. Seems like it'd make more sense as a TV movie.

I had thought they said that the plan was for these to be feature length movies but they would air on AMC? I hadn't heard that they actually were going to release them in theaters?

I've been rooting for the main show to wrap things up, and now that the comics are finished, I'm even more ready for it to be done. To put it in perspective, S9 ended around issue 145 and the comics end at issue 193. They're less than 50 issues away from the end, so they have to be thinking about an endgame unless they plan on veering away from the source material 100% (please god no).

I still stand by these predictions, but maybe change one thing since this probably won't be the final season.

End the season with the introduction of the Commonwealth, and have season 11 be a shortened season of maybe 10 episodes. Have Daryl and Judith and others arrive at the Commonwealth, and Daryl takes Rick role from the comics since Andrew Lincoln apparently isn't coming back. I don't care what else they do honestly, but the series finale should be issue 193 showing Judith all grown up and the rest of the characters living happily ever after.

I'm with you....on the need for the show to wrap up and them doing so close to how you've suggested. It's a shame the series went from a show to just really an avenue for AMC to 'brand' TWD and sell it all over the place. I get it....good for them on making some $$$ but while doing so they missed a great opportunity to make an incredible show.

I stopped watching FTWD after 1 season, and from what I've heard there isn't much reason to catch up with it.

Like I mentioned....S3 was really good IMO because there was a clear, focused direction for the characters and the story was really well done. Even the first part of S4 was really good. Then...second half of S4 just went off the rails as far as how silly/dumb episodes were getting and to give you an idea about this S5 I'm (2) episodes behind with little incentive to catch up on them.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »

I had thought they said that the plan was for these to be feature length movies but they would air on AMC? I hadn't heard that they actually were going to release them in theaters?

From the teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q92njKgWh8

"Rick Grimes Returns
Only in Theaters"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2019, 01:12:50 PM »

"Rick Grimes Returns
Only in Theaters"

Huh...ok then. I had misunderstood that from get go. I agree, it's a bit of a stretch to throw these in the theater.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »

"Rick Grimes Returns
Only in Theaters"

Huh...ok then. I had misunderstood that from get go. I agree, it's a bit of a stretch to throw these in the theater.

Maybe with Zombie Land 2 and 28 Months Later coming out, they think they can hop on the theatrical zombie train.