Author Topic: The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!  (Read 11350 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
https://theriverempires.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theriverempires
https://last.fm/music/The+River+Empires
https://myspace.com/theriverempires

The River Empires
Release Date:April 06, 2010
Length:1:28

Volume 1
1 The River Empires Theme I
2 Overture In Thales Summer
3 Our Neighbor, The Earth
4 The Coventry
5 Galloping Through Day Blooms
6 The Harbourland
7 From Faye To Astral
8 A Toast To The Snake King
9 The First Message
10 Catacombs And Orchards
11 Three Tigers
12 Stag Hollow Fair
13 Lull Of Celeste
14 From Outside The Cellar
15 Vcias In The Pines
16 A Dimmer Lux
17 Lillius

Volume 2
18(1) Witches Blossom
19(2) The Curse Of Maybel Cains
20(3) Wildbriar
21(4) The Motorbike
22(5) The Pelican
23(6) The Backyard In Sparkles
24(7) Land Of Canoes
25(8) Theon, The Fox
26(9) An Elliptic Figure From Borelli
27(10) The Marching Of The Clocks
28(11) The Woods Of Northland
29(12) The River Empires Theme II

Synopsis

A tale of two children- Hayden and River, who stumble upon a mystery that will seemingly cost them their lives.

The River Empires (band) is the soundtrack to the movie trilogy, The River Empires I,II, and II. Six albums will span across three films, two for each installment. Yet as the films will be told from beginning to end of the tale, the soundtracks will be released from end to beginning. This debut record does is not part of the six soundtracks, but an Epilogue to the entire film trilogy that is yet to be revealed. It is not a conclusion, but a thematic look back on what has not yet come to pass. The idea of this first, two-disc debut of The River Empires (band) is to eventually, after the films and all soundtracks are released, be a nostalgic look back on the beginning to the end of a beautiful yet terrifying story known as The River Empires.

After four or five times all the way through hearing this 88-minute two-volume, 2-disc debut record, I have been pretty thoroughly won over. How or why that is? 1st of all, as for something that long that includes 29 track titles, it hardly feels that long. And the reason that is, the themes seem to flow from track-2-track. Many of the tracks are actually just short under-1-minute movements (or sound bytes). Others are instrumental pieces that hardly over-extend their welcome.

But after a couple of times through, of course a lot of the memorable parts, themes or melodies do stand out.

Our Neighbor, the Earth
The Coventry
The Harbourland
A Toast to the Snake King
Three Tigers
From Outside the Cellar
A Dimmer Lux
Witches Blossom
The Curse of Maybel Cains
The Marching of the Clocks

Many of the elements about this record, that are worth noting, include: Suites, reoccurring themes, various chamber instruments including xylophone, (alto-saxophone?), cello, accordion, french horn, banjo, fiddle, and wonderful female vocal harmonies.

The lyrics and movements give the story a gradual yet still rewarding experience for the listener. Although not necessarily noticed until a few times through. Many songs have these sections that seem very meticulous. The themes are very rich, you can't help but get sucked in. Also it seems likely to notice many new things with each listening. Whether it be lyrically, or some subtle arrangement in the music.

This album very effectively tells a story, or paints a picture, while avoiding cheesiness, melodrama, or even pretentiousness. Something to keep in mind, is the fact it is a soundtrack for what is three motion pictures, the lead creator, Jessy Ribordy, plans to head up. It has the name "Epilogue" as part of it's title due to the fact it is the music that is a soundtrack for the entire story. What order the movies will be made-in, to go with these seven volumes (there will be five more volumes/albums). And whether the films will be made after the whole series of albums are finished being released, or as they are being-made, remains to be seen. But that is definitely something to follow in the future of this band/project.

This really doesn't include much guitar. In spots, there is some, but it's amazing how well the music works despite that fact. But for that reason, it doesn't seem like it has much actual "rock" sound, if there is such a thing. But the different instruments, including piano and drums, really fill the sound well enough. My guess is Casey Crescenzo had a fair amount to do with that and what is excellent production quality, very much on the level or worthy of the last two The Dear Hunter album's production.

This album could be described as folk, chamber-folk, chamber-bluegrass, progressive-folk, or many other things. I don't find it matters by lacking guitar, a highly technical or heavy part, it's style in no way hurts it's unique quality. In fact, I'd say it makes it more original. How many artists have combined folk and bluegrass music, this way? Not many. Sufjan Stevens or The Decemberists I suppose, but not really how this whole project is being approached with a story-arc and the music accompanying films (or the music really being "soundtracks" for the movies, rather than the other way around).

It also seems to be promoted or mentioned via some christian sources. I guess Jessy Ribordy and Josh Shroy's previous band, Falling Up, had some of their music lumped-in with the Christian Rock scene. But there is not much, if any obvious evidence of christian music on here. At least from hearing it enough times, even without reading the lyrics (yet). King's X and Mute Math were at one point treated as Christian Rock as well, but they never were.

I really can't recommend this record enough as I'd say it's probably the most ambitious album I've heard since Apes and Androids "Blood Moon" in 2008. And The Dear Hunter fans especially could find it worth their while given Casey actually is a member and is quite notice-ably involved with the song writing, album arrangement, and the production.

92/100
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:09:32 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:42:02 AM »
I'm off to Sheffield now, but i'll give this a proper read/listen when I get home, but what I speed-read was good :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
bump.

this thing is 5-stars. Definitely my Top record for 2010. I'd love to see something challenge it, but I honestly don't think anything will.

maybe one of the best things about it is how many of the songs or parts I didn't like as much as others, only have become better. Very similar to the last 1/3 of Blood Moon. Those songs that don't seem as great as the rest of the record, now are as enjoyable as any part of it.

Songs like The Coventry, Catacombs And Orchards, The Harbourland, The Backyard In Sparkles, and An Elliptic Figure From Borelli.

I also recently have gotten into Falling Up's final record "Fangs" which while it's pretty different than TRE, is still evident of how good of a songwriter Jessy Ribordy is (and Josh Shroy for that matter). Quite experimental, a bit like The Receiving End of Sirens or Minus the Bear even.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
I'm loving this album as well right now. It's a bit too long for my taste, but it's still great! I had to force myslef not to listen to it today so I don't burn myself out on it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
bump.
For those who bought the cd and didn't get "Witches Blossom"

Quote from: The River Empires Facebook
New Myspace coming soon, lyrics coming soon, and Tuesday June 1st Witches Blossom will be up for free downloading.
https://www.reverbnation.com/theriverempires

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
Wow, I'm realy digging it.  I might have to get it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
My album of 2010 so far. Amazing  :hefdaddy
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
bump. Info about the 1st film

"Mnemosyne" - the first of three stories that encompass The River Empires.

It will technically be part of the last 2 album titles since we are writing the music backwards. Sorry so confusing, I get confused myself A LOT. Basically the next record will be titled under the third part of the story "The Waterfall House". There will be six more records. So the last 2 we do as a band will fall under the title "Mnemosyne". But the first film you see will be Mnemosyne. In other words: I'm. not. good. at. sleeping.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
bump.

lyrics are there :)

https://jessyribordy.tumblr.com/

-another EP from The Gloomcatcher is expected to be released in October.

-Jessy posted something last week about heading to LA for looking into options for making the films right now actually.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
Bump.

So, i listened to this album today... and the result:  :) :omg:  :metal (in that order)
I've never really heard anything as mindblowing as this, normally albums requires a certain amount of time, but after 2 listens, i consider this probably the best album released this year.
It's just magnificent and beautiful in a special way, and it might climb high and become one of my all time favorites. :)

Favorite songs this far: Overture in Thales Summer, The Coventry, The Harbourland, A Toast to the Snake King and The Marching of Clocks, but all songs are so good. :):)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Never saw this thread (thanks for the bump Zantera!) but your description of it sounds wonderful Soundscape. Definitely going to try and check this album out!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »
Just got this album, will post thoughts later.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
Schweet, it's on Grooveshark. Listening now. Absolutely love how it starts!

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Gosh, I'm really loving this. So much so that on the basis of the first 7 tracks I went straight to their website and ordered a copy! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
 :)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
I think I overdid this album a bit a couple of months back. I didn't listen to it for a month or so. But I listened to it again the other day and it's still fantastic. Front runner for my favorite album of 2010 for sure.

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
From the few songs I have heard this sounds like it could end up being one of my favs of the year. The last months of the year always tend to bring some great music!
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
Right, well, the album arrived today, which I was incredibly excited about... but the second disc doesn't appear to have the first track (Witches Blossom). Anyone know wtf that is about?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »
Right, well, the album arrived today, which I was incredibly excited about... but the second disc doesn't appear to have the first track (Witches Blossom). Anyone know wtf that is about?

I think SoundscapeMN wrote something about it earlier, like.. that you had to go their website to get it or something.
I'm not exactly what it was, if he didn't write it here it might be in the 5/8-thread.
Kinda lame i guess because you want all the tracks. :/

But i gotta point out again how brilliant this album is.
Probably my favorite of the year this far. :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »
Good call Zant, thanks.

bump.
For those who bought the cd and didn't get "Witches Blossom"

New Myspace coming soon, lyrics coming soon, and Tuesday June 1st Witches Blossom will be up for free downloading.
https://www.reverbnation.com/theriverempires

Ah man, that sucks. So I can download the track (although I can't work out how to do it from either of those sites) but if I want to listen to the actual CDs I can't have the song?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »
Thats pretty much the reason why i didn't get the cd, and have a burned copy in my bookshelf.
Normally im all about buying & supporting the artist, but i don't want a cd that lacks one of the songs, for me that is kinda devastating if you look at the whole picture. :/

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/theriverempires?ref=ts

May 6th (via facebook)

The River Empires  A special edition with full artwork, lyrics, story layouts, and included hidden song "Witches Blossom" will be available for sale in the near future.

they mentioned a few weeks later it was to be available for free to download. I'm not sure if it was and was lifted, or Jessy never got around to it, along with putting the reprinting of the cds with it. Odds are he's been pretty busy with work on the 1st film/films and the upcoming The Gloomcatcher EP, he hasn't had time to get to it yet. But I would expect it to eventually come out with the lyrics, more artwork and Witches Blossom eventually.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »
  Thanks for all the support on our page guys and gals! Planning to track our new full length album in December, January and February

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
New album "Mars/Brighton Part II"
Instead of Films, a Miniseries and/or TV Show is in the works

https://jessyribordy.tumblr.com/post/1393170432/new-music-and-other-biznatch

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
Kickstarter Campaign. 28 Days, $8,000. WATCH THE VIDEO https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jessyribordy/the-river-empires-album

just pledged $25. When I win the Powerball one of these times, I imagine my pledge will go up  ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Those pledge rewards are great, particularly the $1,500 one. :lol

The video was pretty interesting, but I have to say, Jessy is really awkward when he speaks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
I might go ahead and mow a lawn for a 25$ pledge.  The "dvd of unreleased live footage" interests me, though it's probably only bootleg quality.

Offline faemir

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
I still need this album... I shall endeavour to listen tomorrow.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
I still need this album... I shall endeavour to listen tomorrow.

You should, it's easily one of the best albums released this year.
When it's time to rank the albums of 2010, i will have a really hard time, but this one will surely be in the top3 at least.

Offline faemir

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
I just noticed it's got Casey in it, oooo! It's next on my to-play list after Fair to Midland, so will be heard tomorrow!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
Not sure how I missed this thread.  This is easily the best new album I've heard in a while.  I've also pledged $25 (although I opted for the $10-level reward - already got the album, and I think it's way cool to have a chance to actually become a part of the story, even if only a very minor part).

But they're still like $7K away from their ultimate goal... so keep the pledges coming in!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
Downloading this now. REALLY excited to hear the whole thing based on your gushing reviews.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
 :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
update on facebook.

The River Empires
About a week left on kickstarter! All who've donated so far- thank you immensely. And don't worry, your money will be refunded back if we don't hit the goal. Bad news is we may not make the budget, but there will still be good news, promise.

Kickstarter >> The River Empires Album by Jessy Ribordy
kck.st Jessy Ribordy is raising funds for The River Empires Album on Kickstarter! The second album, entitled "Mars/Brighton Part II" of The River Empires seven album series that soundtracks their aspiring miniseries.

$1,756 raised, with 8 days to go.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 03:37:55 AM »
Can't wait for the next album, is it scheduled for a release in 2011?