Author Topic: Pure Reason Revolution Appreciation  (Read 25076 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Pure Reason Revolution Appreciation
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2022, 08:29:30 PM »
This is a good album. Not as good as Eupnea, but a solid follow-up and easily my second-favorite from them (though I haven't heard their 2nd album yet). I love how dynamic Scream Sideways is (that drop into the Pink Floyd-esque funky section halfway through is great), and how smoothly the band jumps between rock and electronic instrumentation on Phantoms and Dead Butterfly. I have no idea what the spoken word sections are supposed to be about but the narrator has a cool voice.

My biggest complaints are that the first two songs are pretty weak, and the heavy riffs start to get really predictable especially towards the end of the album. I'm hoping they dial those back a bit for the next one.

Also Chloe really got demoted to backup vocalist on this one, didn't she? You could probably count on one hand the number of times she's singing by herself.

Interesting. I found Eupnea to be much closer to TDT than this one.

Same; to me the sound of this album is largely just Eupnea but with a greater emphasis on heavy riffs and electronic elements, neither of which The Dark Third really had. I should give that album another chance, my past listens of it didn't really grab me like their more recent albums have.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Pure Reason Revolution Appreciation
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »
They will never top The Dark Third I think but Eupnea and this new one have both been great and I'd lump them in with Amor Vincit Omnia. Hammer & Anvil isn't TERRIBLE but it's easily the worst out of the bunch and the only one I never feel like revisiting. These last 2 albums show they still have gas in the tank and I'm happy they came back.