Author Topic: Concert Dilemma v. I Just Don't Understand (my friend)  (Read 25090 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Mom Dilemma (DEFINITELY NOT RESOLVED) - Need Opinions
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
really glad to hear it worked out shadow

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
Better question is why does your mom have your social security card in her wallet?

Quoting myself because I'm curious to the answer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Mom Dilemma (NOT Resolved?) - Need Opinions
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
So I told my mom. She said "Sell the tickets and find an apartment." She said I have other stuff to pay for (tires and brakes that will cost about 300 dollars, but she previously told me to use my graduation money on it, plus we agreed I would get them AFTER summer).

She said I might be 18. but I don't have any right to make decisions while I am living under my parent's roof.

She also said I am not allowed to go to the Iron Maiden concert, and to pay back my friends with my OWN money (since they can't use my debit card to get in unless I am there and they are paperless tickets)

Also, I am attempting to apply for even more jobs right now, just to see if that will calm her down. She is gone right now, and is rejecting all my phone calls even though I am attempting to get my social security number from her (as I don't know it off the top of my head and she has it in her wallet). So in other words, she is currently preventing me from applying for a job.
I even text her telling her to text it to me.

I stayed calm and collected and never once raised my voice, and simply said, "I understand that I am living under your roof, and I respect that. But I am also 18, and have a right to make certain decisions that do not affect anything regarding you or this house."

Apparently she wouldn't have wanted me driving anyways. I asked her why not, she said "its too far. 10 lane highways, you aren't experienced enough."

Not very much of this makes sense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »
Better question is why does your mom have your social security card in her wallet?

Honestly, I think my mom still feels like I am her "baby" and that I can only do so much on my own (therefore her need to carry around any important items of mine). I love my mom, but I am really trying to show her that I can not only stand on my own two feet, but walk and run too.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »

Honestly, I think my mom still feels like I am her "baby" and that I can only do so much on my own (therefore her need to carry around any important items of mine). I love my mom, but I am really trying to show her that I can not only stand on my own two feet, but walk and run too.

Its not even that, so much. I think its just a really unsafe idea to carry around your SSN in your wallet. Aren't you supposed to keep it in a safe secure place? If she ever lost her wallet, you'd be fucked.

Offline Shadow2222

Re: Mom Dilemma (Maybe resolved?) - Need Opinions
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
That's true...

ANYWAYS, once again I have a dilemma. Because of the brake issue, even though its not serious, my parents won't let me take my car, and the friend that I was going with (who's been becoming quite conceited lately) says that he won't drive nor let me drive his car (because of insurance purposes), so he says he won't go now.

Unless something changes, I have one extra ticket and no way to get to the concert. Anybody willing to take me that might hopefully be passing through Warren on their way to the concert? Please? Or any advice on how to get my friend to change his mind?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Everything Dilemma (Want to give me a ride?) - Need Opinions
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »

Anybody willing to take me that might hopefully be passing through Warren on their way to the concert? Please?

So now you have to explain how some stranger you met on the internet will be taking you to the show? :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »

Anybody willing to take me that might hopefully be passing through Warren on their way to the concert? Please?

So now you have to explain how some stranger you met on the internet will be taking you to the show? :facepalm:

:rollin

Yeah, mention that to your mom and hope she lets you just use your car.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
I would so go with you but I can't drive. Oh, and I live in Scotland.

I guess you can try working on your parents a bit more to see if they change their minds about letting you take the car. That or tell your friend to stop being a douche and drive the two of you there.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
My friend responded, "Nope we made an agreement"
And my parents just kind of laughed when I mentioned a DTF member giving me a ride

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »
Your not suppose to say "Some guy from the internet". Just say a friend from school or something
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
I am strangely intrigued by this thread.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
I noticed you want a stranger to ride with. :eyebrows:

:biggrin:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
I noticed you want a stranger to ride with. :eyebrows:

:biggrin:

Sure. I assume he'll split the gas money for the ride from Norway?
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
Dude, you may be in extreme luck. I'm going to be spending some time in Michigan, and I may be traveling back down to Ohio around that time...I would be going to the Pickerington area...
gone

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Concert Dilemma - Need Opinions
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
How badly do you want to see Maiden?  You could always just sell the Maiden ticket and go see the DT headlining show instead...

That's what I was thinking. Of course the best outcome would be to go to both, but if you can only go to one you might as well go to the DT headliner.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Mom Dilemma (Maybe resolved?) - Need Opinions
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
That's true...

ANYWAYS, once again I have a dilemma. Because of the brake issue, even though its not serious, my parents won't let me take my car, and the friend that I was going with (who's been becoming quite conceited lately) says that he won't drive nor let me drive his car (because of insurance purposes), so he says he won't go now.

Unless something changes, I have one extra ticket and no way to get to the concert. Anybody willing to take me that might hopefully be passing through Warren on their way to the concert? Please? Or any advice on how to get my friend to change his mind?
Oh, come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
Is public transport not an option?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
GET INTO MY CAR

LETS GO FOR A DRIVE

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
See, this is the issue.  You've just completed massive argument where you had to convince your parents that you could be responsible for your own decisions.  And now you're asking them for a ride, because you thought seeing back-to-back Dream Theater shows was more important than getting your breaks fixed.  Your parents probably already told you this, but you can't just have all the freedom without any of the responsibility.  

Anyway, I'd suggest Public Transportation if it's possible.    

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
Dude, you may be in extreme luck. I'm going to be spending some time in Michigan, and I may be traveling back down to Ohio around that time...I would be going to the Pickerington area...

That would be great, as Pickerington is close to Columbus, but isn't Warren a little out of the way if you are going straight from Michigan to Pickerington? Are you going to the concert (and in need of that extra ticket)?

And you would definitely have to be willing to talk to my parents for at least an hour about who you are, how you won't molest me/kidnap me, etc.

But I would definitely appreciate it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
I don't think public transportation would be a real option, because that would limit it to Greyhound, and taking a trip by bus takes planning, and he would probably have to stay in a motel overnight for the return trip - the money spent on it could just as easily be spent on car maintainance, which would be better in the long term.

Aside from all the other teenage jobs mentioned, look for labor jobs, like mowing lawns or garden maintainance.  You will work your ass off, but it will probably pay a little better than minimum wage, and you get to enjoy the summer weather.  I did that one summer in college, and worked at a country club another summer.

This thread makes me realize how great I had it as a kid.  I went to my first concert my senior year of high school, and drove 3 friends to it as well, and never had any problems with the 'rents.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Yeah, I just checked, and while the times I think would work out perfectly, the bus alone would cost 69 dollars.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
Yeah, I just checked, and while the times I think would work out perfectly, the bus alone would cost 69 dollars.

lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

That would be great, as Pickerington is close to Columbus, but isn't Warren a little out of the way if you are going straight from Michigan to Pickerington? Are you going to the concert (and in need of that extra ticket)?

And you would definitely have to be willing to talk to my parents for at least an hour about who you are, how you won't molest me/kidnap me, etc.

But I would definitely appreciate it.
I would get a free ticket? I would have done it anyways, but hell, I'll look into this for sure! I'll pm you and what not.

I MUST MAKE THIS CLEAR THOUGH:

I AM MAKING NO PROMISES AS OF NOW.
gone

Offline Shadow2222

Re: Concert Dilemma - Need Opinions
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
First let me provide an update. I have a 550 dollar a month job now. Not a ton of money, but enough to pay for the basics.

I THOUGHT that was the reason my mother wouldn't let me go originally, even though she had decided to let me go...

Well, apparently something changed, because she just randomly starts going crazy saying I'm not going to that concert and I better sell the tickets if I don't want to lose the money for them.

Keep in mind, that me and my mom have been on better terms than ever recently. WTF?

I really am so goddamn pissed.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: Concert Dilemma v. I Just Don't Understand (my mom)
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »
Has she given you a reason or any indication of why?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
I answered this question in another thread:

FACT - Women are all bat-shit crazy.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »

She apparently doesn't feel safe having me going so far away. I understand her sentiments, but what is she going to do when I possibly move away in the next few years, or decide to go on a trip, etc.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
Flee, run, retreat! ESCAPE from her! or make her come with u, then she can protce u=You are safe  ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »

She apparently doesn't feel safe having me going so far away. I understand her sentiments, but what is she going to do when I possibly move away in the next few years, or decide to go on a trip, etc.

Honestly, since she had previously told you that you could go, I think you have every right to follow thru. When she calls you on it after the shows are over, point out to her that she said you could go, and that for her to change her mind on a whim was unreasonable.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
Menopause.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
Aren't you 18?

What a bitch.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »
Just go dude.