Author Topic: Geocaching?!  (Read 31189 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Geocaching?!
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I just placed a cache about 40 foot up a tree. I'll basically be telling people where it is and that it's simply a physical test more than a hide and seek.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
So, am I right to assume that this it a climbing tree? What difficulty does it have?
Here, we have loads of T5's where you need climbing gear (that I don't have), up to about 80 foot. Fortunately, someone also did caches in 3 nice trees that you could reach without any additional gear (if you are brave enough). Love that!
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
I gave it a difficulty of 2 (since it's not hard to find), and a terrain of 4 and said you'd have to go up a tree, and I even marked which tree it was at GZ.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
Girlfriend found another one...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
freakin' sweet ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
Jurgen, what's the cache nearest to you that is a small or regular size container and not a nano or micro?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
Want to send me a TB?  :hat
Would be this one (I own it): https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC37ZP3
Oh, and my prog cache is not far away: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3K7RK

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
No... was just like...  curious and... well... I WANTED THIS TO BE SPECIAL. Have more in mind then that, will post in a week or three when my plan is in action.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »
Well the first 4 of my 32 caches arrived today. Completely different than the ones I made the TMNT series out of :( they are significantly smaller. I'm assuming that the remaining 28 will be wrong as well seeing as they are from the same seller. I'm pretty pissed because I bought the lot through the same link I went through the first time. I'm debating whether or not to return them or try and make do. I'm just upset that in spent 55 bucks and got a bunch that should have only cost 40 or less.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
Contact him, of course. Sometimes, you even get a replacement without having to send the wrong ones back.  ;)

Nick: looking forward to your idea!

Meine Musikliste

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
Oi there is a cache at my work that i cant find. I kinda know where it is... but can't really get on my knees to look while in my uniform.

@ Chino Was this through amazon? If so threaten a 1 star feedback if hour order isnt fixed. 1 star feedback really does hurt sellers...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Oi there is a cache at my work that i cant find. I kinda know where it is... but can't really get on my knees to look while in my uniform.

@ Chino Was this through amazon? If so threaten a 1 star feedback if hour order isnt fixed. 1 star feedback really does hurt sellers...

That's where I fucked up. I one starred him before contacting lol. Amazon sent me a free shipping return label. The said I'd get a full refund.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »
Good Jeebus... am I the only person on the planet who doesn't know WTF Geocaching is?? :lol  Just was curious about the thread title.  Sounds fun though!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
Contact him, of course. Sometimes, you even get a replacement without having to send the wrong ones back.  ;)

This. I've had it happen several times where I've gotten to keep an item and get the right ones too. Worst case scenario eat a few bucks to ship the wrong ones back and get the ones you wanted. The larger ones allow for more detail and starting out you shouldn't cut yourself short.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »

This. I've had it happen several times where I've gotten to keep an item and get the right ones too. Worst case scenario eat a few bucks to ship the wrong ones back and get the ones you wanted. The larger ones allow for more detail and starting out you shouldn't cut yourself short.

Unfortunately I blasted his rating before trying to make contact. I was super pissed and wasn't thinking. I figure it's not even worth trying to contact him now.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
Good Jeebus... am I the only person on the planet who doesn't know WTF Geocaching is?? :lol  Just was curious about the thread title.  Sounds fun though!

Geocaching is an absolute blast! Very few people know what it is. The most fun part is finding a cache that you yourself have walked by a thousand times and never knew it was there.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
How long has it been going on??

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »
Looks fun...I'll research it a bit, thanks Chino!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
The oldest, still active cache is from 2000: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc12 (near Portland).

Meine Musikliste

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
Was going to download the android app... but it's $10, I'll research some more to see if I'm interested beyond free... :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
C:Geo is free, and Neongeo has a free 30 day demo, try those both out.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »
Here in Germany, caching in the woods becomes more and more of a problem. Land owners regularly complain about the downsides (disturbing the animals, destroying nature). The problem is that geocaching does not have some kind of a federation that could react in the press. And we cachers don't want any more attention, tbh... But my guess is that facing it out won't be successful.
Anyway, what also causes the negative attitude of some people is the growing number of cachers - especially those how use their smartphone and "only try" it out. Often, these are the unexperienced people who dig up whole areas in the woods and leave unnecessary trails.

Meine Musikliste

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Here you can find geocacher rankings: https://www.cacherstats.com/index.html
Dude with the most caches found is from the US (over 70,000!): https://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?guid=e35cc3ef-6ea4-4ccc-a67f-0e1537af57f1  :eek

Meine Musikliste

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
Little update on getting my store off the ground after that wrong order fiasco. I ordered 8 more containers just to test out shipping arrangements and have figured out which vendor is the correct one to go through. You may be wondering why the one on the far right is not red. I tried a little experiment when I got home from work and had a break through. On my TMNT series, I spent a good 15-20 minutes sanding each container. I knew that doing that on 40+ containers wouldn't be worth my time, there must have been an easier way. Turns out, anything with sodium hydroxide will removed an anodized coating. I got a can of industrial oven degreasing spray from the kitchen at work (shit contains tons of sodium hydroxide) and applied it to one of the red ones. That stuff took the anodized coating completely off in less than 2 minutes! Tomorrow I shall do the bunch all at once. This is going to save me tons of time!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
Nice. :tup

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:12 AM »
Coating removed.

I think with this batch I am just going to make two more sets of Ninja Turntle series... Seeing as I have all the stuff for those. When the seven other sets ship, I'll go get more supplies and make those new and creative ones.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
 :biggrin:

They still need some clear coat.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Love it!!  :tup

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
This morning I bought 10'cans of spray and 15 bottles of enamel ... I'm going all out

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2012, 06:58:19 AM »
Nick, this is awesome!!  :metal I'm really curious whether the bug will make it!

What really helps is to add a short description to the travel bug (laminate a piece of paper, for example). I often find TBs in a cache, but I don't wanna look up their destination on a mobile phone. It's much easier when you can see it together with the TB.

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
Oh yeah, I've seen that a bunch, I'll print out the page and fold it up with the bug.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
That would be perfect. :)
Should we guess
a) whether the TB will make it to my cache
b) how long it will take?

My sister lives in Chicago who comes over about 2 times per year, so in case the TB is in that area, chances might be higher.

Meine Musikliste