Author Topic: Steve Vai - Finally off the deep end?!?  (Read 10677 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: Steve Vai - Finally off the deep end?!?
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2022, 12:42:12 AM »
Anyone familiar with his first solo album Flex-Able? Blind-bought it because I loved his new album but based on what I’ve heard about it and the song I listened to from it (Little Green Men) that might have been a mistake. Anyone likes it?

Flex-Able is good- for the most part the focus is on the SONG not the guitar unlike most of his output the last 30 years. He hadn’t found his own voice yet and is clearly trying too hard to be Frank Zappa.

Honestly, Passion and Warfare is probably THE greatest instrumental guitar album of all time but, overall, I prefer his band output more than solo records. His run from 1985-1990 was incredible.

Alcatrazz - Distubring the Peace (arguably better than their first record w/ Yngwie)
Crossroads Soundtrack (Vai’s appearance and playing are the ONLY good thing about this movie)
David Lee Roth - Eat Em Smile (simply some of the flashiest guitar ever put on tape)
Public Image Ltd - album (a more restrained Vai, showcasing his versatility)
David Lee Roth. - Skyscraper (a step down from Eat, Vai saves the day by bringing the guitar theatrics)
Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue (criminally underrated)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2022, 06:34:33 AM »
you don't seem to like Fire Garden then (as one example)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Melphina

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2022, 06:47:34 AM »
I think both Vai and Satriani's new albums are the best things they've done in a long time. Both are technically stunning, but also just really fun to listen to with lots of tasty licks, melodies, and especially groove. Can't remember the last album I enjoyed this much from either of them and they sound similar to each other so I thought I'd mention both.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
you don't seem to like Fire Garden then (as one example)

Fire Garden is around the time I started losing interest in what Vai was doing. It all got to be a bit… much. Too much wankery, too many guitar animal noises, “too many notes”. Clearly by the mid 90s he tried to move away from “shred” and instead went in the direction of “experimentation” usually by throwing in the kitchen sink with each album (often times in each song). Sometimes it works, often times it doesn’t. After the incredible “Modern Primitive”, I was hoping he’d continue to go in that direction by taking inspiration from his roots but as soon as he unveiled that ridiculous 3 necked monstrosity Hydra, I knew he was back to his wacky ways.

I respect his artistic dedication to experimentation and pushing the envelope with new sounds and techniques but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wish he’d put a group together and release a straight up rocker.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2022, 05:46:59 PM »
Just got home from his London show at the Palladium. The show itself was great and the band was tight, despite not touring for over 2 years and this being their third show on the tour.

All was nice, except for ticketmaster's mistake. Apparently ticketmaster UK f-ed things up, and up to a 100 people (myself included) thought they bought the VIP package that includes meet and greet... but in fact ours are just the regular package for merchandise. TM claims they only sold the tickets, another firm called 237 handles VIP packages. And 237 said pretty much the same thing, and told us to check back with TM  One of Vai's sons handles show day VIP matters, and even he got surprised by that mistake by both TM and 237... in the end they decided to honor ALL the VIP packages, and we ALL get to the Q&A, sound check and even a photo op with Vai. If you are going to his future shows and have purchased the VIP package, be sure to check with TM ASAP.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2022, 05:39:29 PM »
From Steve's Facebook:
"Here I was, writing a record and recording it in somewhat of a stream of consciousness in 1991 within perhaps a 2-week period as an answer to my desire to have a particular kind of music to listen to when I was riding my Harley-Davidson Motorcycle with my friends. It's reminiscent of a certain type of rock music I enjoyed as a teenager in the 1970's. These recordings sat on the shelf for over 30 years.. it's about time.. November 10, 2022."
New song tomorrow, In The Wind: https://lnk.to/VaiGashPresave
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2022, 07:10:57 PM »
Woah, what?!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online devieira73

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
It seems really interesting, right?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
I didn't really care for it that much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but I thought these two posts back to back are interesting:
:lol  That kind of sums up my feelings on Vai in general.  Anything he does is bound to be interesting and super creative.  His creativity and innovation, combined with his immense talent, are what puts him above most other instrumental artists for me and holds my attention.  And yet, it can also be the combination that can make a lot of what he does offputting and make me go, "yeah, that's interesting, but that doesn't mean it's something I want to listen to very often."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online devieira73

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 10:34:17 AM »
The new song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbnEj2yDw0
I liked it, something uncommon for him, just rock 'n' roll Vai!
About what Bosk said... I truly love Steve Vai, but I think he's one of those musicians that you really have to be in the mood to hear his music. I love him, but, a lot of times, I can't stand to hear anything by him, even his songs that I like most!

Online devieira73

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2022, 10:40:27 AM »
https://usa-store.mascotlabelgroup.com/collections/steve-vai/products/steve-vai-vaigash-cd-mlg
There's a sad history behind it:

"Vai/Gash is a collaboration album of Steve Vai and Johnny "Gash" Sombretto, recorded in the 90s. The recordings sat on the shelf for 30 years, and they are finally seeing the light of day!

Around 1990 Steve immersed himself into riding motorcycles. His love for motorcycles and biker culture led a desire to record a straight ahead rock album. Thorugh a friend he met Johnny "Gash" Sombretto. Gash was avid motorcycle enthusiast, who was severely scarred after an accident at the age of 21. Steve and Gash hit it off immediately,

Steve got Gash to sing over these biker type songs he wrote, and nothing prepared him for the voice that came out of Gash's mouth. This was the voice he wanted to hear wailing over these slamming rock tracks. Despite Steve's other musical projects at the time, like Sex & Religion, there were always plans to release this record.

But if wasn't to be. In September 1998, Steve's phone rang, and John's girlfriend told him that John was in a bike accident and killed. Disheartened, Steve put the entire project on a shelf, and moved on to other projects. After three decades, the album will be out, as a tribute to what would definitely have been one of the greatest lead rock singers."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but I thought these two posts back to back are interesting:
:lol  That kind of sums up my feelings on Vai in general.  Anything he does is bound to be interesting and super creative.  His creativity and innovation, combined with his immense talent, are what puts him above most other instrumental artists for me and holds my attention.  And yet, it can also be the combination that can make a lot of what he does offputting and make me go, "yeah, that's interesting, but that doesn't mean it's something I want to listen to very often."

I feel the same way about Vai. I will say don't sleep on seeing him live. I made a post here, or maybe the concert thread, but I bought some tickets and figured I'd see one of the great guitar players live while he is still touring. In preparation I made a spotify playlist of his setlist and listening to it I thought "man this will be a lot to get through" but when the day came it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. He is such a showman and has such command of the instrument that it's impossible not to hypnotized. I have countless videos of concerts I've been to since getting my first smart phone, I've watched my videos of that vai show more than any other video I've ever taken combined.

If you like him in the slightest go see him live, it's an amazing show. I'll never miss another one of his shows even though I still don't really listen to his music often.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
I will say don't sleep on seeing him live. I made a post here, or maybe the concert thread, but I bought some tickets and figured I'd see one of the great guitar players live while he is still touring. In preparation I made a spotify playlist of his setlist and listening to it I thought "man this will be a lot to get through" but when the day came it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. He is such a showman and has such command of the instrument that it's impossible not to hypnotized. I have countless videos of concerts I've been to since getting my first smart phone, I've watched my videos of that vai show more than any other video I've ever taken combined.

Yeah, I'd love to!  The only times I've seen him live in any capacity was with Whitesnake in either '90 or '91.  He was of course amazing on the 'Snake songs.  But he also got a spot in the middle of the show where he played The Audience Is Listening and For the Love of God with Adrian, Rudy, and Tommy backing him, and it was amazing.  I also have his Live at the Astoria DVD and the G3 DVD of the tour with him and JP.  Mesmerizing.  He is one I would love to see live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 02:53:53 PM »
I saw Vai live when Macalpine was in the band, absolutely incredible show.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
I put together a video of my EVO experience in London, and I thought I had shared it here.  :facepalm:

Anyway, check out that video and more if you are interested  :biggrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9MDI23iCg
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »
Here's the review Stadler wrote about the upcoming Vai/Gash album

https://lotsofmuzik.com/steve-vai-vai-gash-album-review-by-bill-feltovic/

:metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 01:39:09 PM »
Dudes, check out this album.  I'm REALLY digging it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
A friend just surprised me with tickets to go see Vai live for the first time next sunday. Now I need to re-familiarize with his catalog, which is a bit hit or miss for me. Should be a good experience anyway :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:56 AM »
You're going to have a killer time. I saw him last year and while I'm familiar with his work and rarely listen to it, I went simply to see him play. He blew it out of the fucking water, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »
You're going to have a killer time. I saw him last year and while I'm familiar with his work and rarely listen to it, I went simply to see him play. He blew it out of the fucking water, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

That's great to know :tup

What show were you at? I want to see the setlist to prepare for the show, but setlist.fm isn't completely updated yet on his most recent setlists.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2023, 11:04:39 AM »
I was at this show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-vai/2022/the-fillmore-charlotte-nc-3bbeb08c.html

The setlist was exactly the same as this show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-vai/2022/the-plaza-theatre-orlando-fl-1bbeb9d4.html

The only downside was the Dave Weiner solo spot, he just isn't that great of a soloist but otherwise fantastic show.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2023, 11:45:40 AM »
I was at this show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-vai/2022/the-fillmore-charlotte-nc-3bbeb08c.html

The setlist was exactly the same as this show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-vai/2022/the-plaza-theatre-orlando-fl-1bbeb9d4.html

The only downside was the Dave Weiner solo spot, he just isn't that great of a soloist but otherwise fantastic show.

I'm not usually a fan of solo spots anyway, so here's hoping it's a short one :lol

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bentower

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2023, 12:32:52 AM »
The new guy is a better player and stage perfomer than Weiner, but no-one to write home about either. I think Steve plays it safe with regards to filling that particular slot in his lineups. Mike Keneally is great and the best he's had, but also different enough (not really a shredder) to not have been a potential upstager. One might argue the case of Tony Mac. If it had been the 80's-90's instead of the aughts, then maybe.

Funny how Steven Wilson for example has never had trouble finding outstanding guitarists for that role in his solo work. Different needs, I guess!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2023, 07:52:47 AM »
Wait is Weiner not touring with them anymore?

Offline Bentower

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2023, 09:16:42 AM »
Not when I saw 'em. AFAIK, Dave's been replaced by a young Italian Abasi-wielding buck.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.