Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207727 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Muse - The 2nd Law (Out Now)
« Reply #875 on: March 08, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »
Everything about it was awesome. 

Matt Bellamy has become an even better frontman than he was before.  Having the extra guy on stage to do a lot of the keyboard and even guitar work on occasion really frees him up to move around and work the crowd, which he is great at.

And say what you want about The 2nd Law, but most of those songs sound like were written to play live, and most of them slayed in a live setting. Unsustainable sounds like a big pile of cheese on record, but as the show opener, it was great.  I love how so many of their songs rock hard while also having that dance feel.  That is not easy to pull off, but they manage to do it.  :coolio

Offline Mladen

« Reply #876 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:29 AM »
I agree, The 2nd Law songs worked fantastic live, especially Unsustainable.  :metal

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #877 on: March 09, 2013, 05:27:07 AM »
Unsustainable sounds like a big pile of cheese on record, but as the show opener, it was great.

Unsustainable sounds like one of my favorite songs from the album on record and as show opener it sounds even better it's awesome very different for Muse but really awesome

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: March 09, 2013, 06:48:36 AM »
Its weird seeing Knights of Cydonia in the middle of the set like that.  It definitely has that opener or closer feel to it.  Bummer they didn't play Save Me but it looks like it was a fun night regardless!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #879 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Wow, nothing from Origins?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #880 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
Seriously. Just ignoring their best album like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #881 on: March 09, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »
It didn't matter.  The pacing of the set list was immaculate, and I even get why they are playing Liquid State (which I think is a pretty ordinary song)...it gives Chris Wolstenholme the opportunity to be front and center, singing lead, while Bellamy hangs back there with Dominic Howard for a few minutes.

But it looks like New Born and Stockholm Syndrome are rotating night to night (a roulette thing on the screen picks which song will be played every night), and Plug In Baby is still getting played very often, so it is not like they are ignoring Origin... on this tour.  It just didn't get anything played last night.  And like I said, it didn't matter. :metal

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #882 on: March 09, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
The setlist really was well-paced. It was one song after another. And even with Knights of Cydonia in the middle, the energy never let up.

Kev, what'd you think of the opening act, Dead Sara? We liked the song Weatherman of course, but the lead singer was a bitch
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #883 on: March 09, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
It didn't matter.  The pacing of the set list was immaculate, and I even get why they are playing Liquid State (which I think is a pretty ordinary song)...it gives Chris Wolstenholme the opportunity to be front and center, singing lead, while Bellamy hangs back there with Dominic Howard for a few minutes.

But it looks like New Born and Stockholm Syndrome are rotating night to night (a roulette thing on the screen picks which song will be played every night), and Plug In Baby is still getting played very often, so it is not like they are ignoring Origin... on this tour.  It just didn't get anything played last night.  And like I said, it didn't matter. :metal

Still either Citizen Erased or Micro Cuts would've been killer.

Offline Paris is Burning

« Reply #884 on: March 09, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
I like the band that is opening for them on this tour more than Muse. (Biffy Clyro)
what might have been lost

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #885 on: March 10, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
The setlist really was well-paced. It was one song after another. And even with Knights of Cydonia in the middle, the energy never let up.

Kev, what'd you think of the opening act, Dead Sara? We liked the song Weatherman of course, but the lead singer was a bitch

They were pretty good. Weatherman obviously stood out as the one really good tune.

And Knights of Cydonia is awesome no matter where they put it in the set list.  Definitely one of the best live songs ever, by any band. :metal :metal

Still either Citizen Erased or Micro Cuts would've been killer.

Well, sure, but when a concert is that awesome, I am not gonna pick nits over not playing this song or that song.  Hell, they didn't play New Born when I first saw them back in '06, and I didn't care then either. 

But I will reiterate what I have said in this thread before, and that is the drawback to them being so popular and having so many must-play "hits" now is by the time they play all of the new songs they want to, plus the must-plays, that doesn't leave a lot of room for deep cuts from the earlier albums.  Some may quibble over them still not playing long shows (the one the other night was just shy of two hours), but I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week.  As time goes on, we are likely to see some of those concert favorites start getting played less.  From the looks of set lists on this tour, Plug In Baby and Hysteria, two live mainstays for a long time, are already being given nights off, and as they accumulate more albums and more hits, old concert favorites are likely to be given more frequent rests.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #886 on: March 10, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #887 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
As time goes on, we are likely to see some of those concert favorites start getting played less.  From the looks of set lists on this tour, Plug In Baby and Hysteria, two live mainstays for a long time, are already being given nights off, and as they accumulate more albums and more hits, old concert favorites are likely to be given more frequent rests.
I think this is for the best, though. I've had ten years' opportunity to watch them play Hysteria, and it's not like they're an archive band, it's not like they've diminished in relevance since Absolution. Quite the opposite. This is a band who slay live whatever they're playing, with a back catalogue that ages slower than most - they could release Hysteria today and it'd make waves - but as they continue to release new albums, the list of compulsory classics is continuing to grow at the same rate as the rest of their discography. At some point, they're going to have to ask, "Is it really that important that we play Time is Running Out tonight?"* Something's got to give eventually - a setlist based on endless growth is unsuzztain-unsuzztain-unsuzz.

*That's not a trick question - the answer is usually going to be yes! They're a band with a broad appeal and a lot of casual fans, and TiRO continues to unite rooms of thousands. For most gigs in their foreseeable future, that's totally the right choice. But at some point, eventually, they're going to want to play City of Delusion, or Showbiz, or Space Dementia, and I'm not convinced the umpteen-hundredth live rendition of TiRO, or Uprising or Starlight will always be too big to sacrifice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
Agreed, for the most part.  But Time Is Running Out is such a huge crowd pleaser as well as a big crowd participation song, that it is hard to not play it.  But as time goes on, and they accumulate more songs like that, it will make it easier to leave a few out, while still playing others.  Hell, from the last two albums, Uprising and Madness are two massive crowd pleasers/participation tunes, so as the list of them continues to grow, leaving out more of the older ones that have been played to death over the years will be easier to leave off some shows per tour, or even whole tours altogether.  Like I said the other day, Plug In Baby and Hysteria are already getting the rotation treatment this tour, so that is a sign of things to come.  Especially when you consider that New Born and Stockholm Syndrome, two live MONSTERS, are getting the roulette treatment this tour, meaning only one of them gets played at every show.

Also, from the looks of things, our show looks to be one of the few where Animals hasn't been played so far this year.  But again, no complaints from me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #889 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
BTW, we had talked a while back about how Isolated System would have been better as a middle of an album track rather than the closer, so taking that into account, along with my opinion that Survival should have been the album closer, how is this for a slight reworking of the track order:

1. Supremacy
2. Madness
3. Panic Station
4. Animals
5. Explorers
6. Unsustainable
7. Isolated System
8. Follow Me
9. Save Me
10. Liquid State
11. Big Freeze
12. Survival (with Prelude...no need to separate them)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:26:53 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #890 on: March 13, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
The 2nd Law (Subtitle here) songs really would have worked better as an interlude That's my only real problem with the album. Liquid State should have been twice as long and been at the end.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #891 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
Nah, a rocker like Liquid State would have worn out its welcome if it were longer.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #892 on: March 15, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
BTW, we had talked a while back about how Isolated System would have been better as a middle of an album track rather than the closer, so taking that into account, along with my opinion that Survival should have been the album closer, how is this for a slight reworking of the track order:

1. Supremacy
2. Madness
3. Panic Station
4. Animals
5. Explorers
6. Unsustainable
7. Isolated System
8. Follow Me
9. Save Me
10. Liquid State
11. Big Freeze
12. Survival (with Prelude...no need to separate them)
Looks pretty good to me!

I went for this in October...

1. Unsustainable, 2. Madness, 3. Panic Station, 4. Follow Me, 5. Animals, 6. Save Me, 7. Liquid State, 8. Big Freeze, 9. Explorers, 10. Prelude, 11. Survival

...with no idea where to put Supremacy and Isolated System. Now, I think I'd go for...

1. Unsustainable
2. Madness
3. Panic Station
4. Animals
5. Save Me
6. Isolated System
7. Supremacy
8. Follow Me
9. Liquid State
10. Big Freeze
11. Explorers
12. Prelude
13. Survival

So you've got Isolated System closing off the first half, and then Supremacy kicks it back up and never really lets go. Probably a few too many dense tracks towards the top, though? Animals, Save Me and Isolated System are far too high up the tracklisting.

Oh! How about this?

1. Unsustainable
2. Madness
3. Panic Station
4. Prelude
5. Survival
6. Explorers
7. Isolated System
8. Follow Me
9. Animals
10. Big Freeze
11. Liquid State
12. Save Me
13. Supremacy

Supremacy could definitely be a closer, with the way that last chord trails off. I feel like Isolated System needs to end something, but I think it's more of an "End of Part One" than an "End of this album." It doesn't really start or end in a way that makes it easy to connect to any of the other songs - my best attempt, is I've chosen for the last ringing note to go into the Follow Me heartbeat, and now the ringing piano comes in straight after Explorers. Frankly, though, it's a bastard of an album to balance. Whatever my issues with the way they structured it, it's not like they were spoiled for choice.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #893 on: March 15, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
Nah, a rocker like Liquid State would have worn out its welcome if it were longer.

Worn out its welcome? It barely got started by the time it was over!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #894 on: March 16, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »
I'm fine with its length. And I really enjoyed it live, it was interesting to see Chris at the very front of the stage and Matt hanging out in the background.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #895 on: March 16, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Interesting order, rob.  But I don't think Unsustainable would be a good album opener (good concert opener because of the way it begins, but not strong enough to open an album).

I will say this, too: I think Big Freeze has become my favorite song from The 2nd Law.  Bellamy's lead guitar playing in the last minute and a half or so of the song, where he is channeling his inner Brian May, is some of my favorite playing of his ever. :tup :tup

Offline robwebster

« Reply #896 on: April 19, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »
From the Panic Station video, to be released Monday:

Amazing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #897 on: April 19, 2013, 06:58:49 AM »
wat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #898 on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
wat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
taw
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #900 on: April 19, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
awt

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #901 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
wta

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #902 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:26 PM »
I don't know wat's going on here, but I want to be part of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #903 on: April 22, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
Yay for silly videos.  Hence, Panic Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4MvQ5N3usc

Offline Mladen

« Reply #904 on: April 22, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
dafuq did I just watch?

Whatever, it's nice that my favorite song off The 2nd Law got a video.  ;D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #905 on: June 03, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Caught them live yesterday!

Cut down set, but I got the tickets for free, so - hey! Free Muse!! Playing Uprising, outside, round the back of Downing Street, with politicians hanging out of the windows. Hell of a setting.

Only won them midday the day before. Total spur of the moment decision. Woke up Saturday morning without a single plan for the weekend. Arrived home Sunday night giddy on Muse-fumes. Oh, they are good, though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #906 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
That video is amazing. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #907 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
That's fantastic Rob!

I saw them last week at the Emirates Stadium, they still put on the best live show bar none. They're one of the very few bands that still, after seeing them live so many times, really excite me and make me feel like a kid again, singing along to every song and just losing myself in the insanity of the show. Loved it!

Oh and yeah, the Panic Station video is epic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #908 on: June 03, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »
Caught them live yesterday!

Cut down set, but I got the tickets for free, so - hey! Free Muse!! Playing Uprising, outside, round the back of Downing Street, with politicians hanging out of the windows. Hell of a setting.

Only won them midday the day before. Total spur of the moment decision. Woke up Saturday morning without a single plan for the weekend. Arrived home Sunday night giddy on Muse-fumes. Oh, they are good, though.

I was at the show as well! It was such a cool little gig - 45 minutes of fun (and a lot of pyro). First time I'd seen them live since Wembley 2010, and they're just as good as they've always been. One little complaint is that Matt doesn't play his guitar as much as I'd like, specifically in Starlight, where the 'heavy' sections lose a bit of their power as a result.

Apparently Paramount filmed the show for later release - here's a short clip of Follow Me that's already out https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFmPgugecuE

Offline robwebster

« Reply #909 on: September 01, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
Possibly the best Muse gig ever.

Seriously. Completely jealous of everyone who was there. They played Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, for christ's sake!! All amazing, but special mention to the fish, since she dances like Karl Pilkington.

Apparently it's been filmed for an eventual DVD release. I really hope it's the full gig and not just clips. The whole setlist is mental.