Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207822 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Muse - The Resistance (2009)
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »
"Unnatural Selection" is freaking awesome, and the "Exogenesis" suite is rad as hell.  I love the middle of Part 2 where it picks up and he is singing over that awesome string section.  

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
"Unnatural Selection" is freaking awesome, and the "Exogenesis" suite is rad as hell.  I love the middle of Part 2 where it picks up and he is singing over that awesome string section.  
Hell yeah man!
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »
"Unnatural Selection" is freaking awesome, and the "Exogenesis" suite is rad as hell.  I love the middle of Part 2 where it picks up and he is singing over that awesome string section. 
Both of these!

I think Exogenesis is great. Aside from the orchestra use, it's very OoS. The intro sounds a hell of a lot like the start to Megalomania, and the last part sounds a bit like the outro to Citizen Erased. Great great stuff!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
Yeah, I don't get some of the "it's not epic enough" opinions about the suite.  Muse is not some band that is gonna do an over-the-top epic.  The whole suite is very well-written, and is just a gorgeous overall piece of music.  

And I cannot remember if I said hear yet or not, but I love how much piano is on this record.  Matt Bellamy is a beast on the piano; I think he could be one of rock's best, but he doesn't play it enough, and it is not even his "main" instrument, so he will never get his due, but make no mistake, the guy can play his rocks off.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
The first part of Exogenesis sounds like Micro Cuts pt. II.  Overall the whole thing's pretty good.  I guess I was just a little too hyped that they'd do something as epic as Take a Bow.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
And I cannot remember if I said hear yet or not, but I love how much piano is on this record.  Matt Bellamy is a beast on the piano; I think he could be one of rock's best, but he doesn't play it enough, and it is not even his "main" instrument, so he will never get his due, but make no mistake, the guy can play his rocks off.
Completely agreed about the piano playing on this record. I mean, I like Black Holes a lot, but the reduced amount of piano was a shame. Nice to hear it in heavy usage again.

Although I'm not sure I agree about it not being his main instrument... unless you mean his main one is voice. It's certainly more his main instrument than guitar, he just plays guitar a lot more live (i.e. in songs where he has recorded both guitar and keys/piano in the studio, he'll usually pick guitar) because he can move around on the stage and "pull rock star poses". That's paraphrased from something he said after making Absolution I think.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
The third part of exogenesis is one of the most beautiful songs i've heard.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline EmilSumm

« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
The album has grown on me, but I still think is their worst. I don't enjoy most of the songs, but I dont' think they are bad, not at all. Just not my cup of tea.

The third part of exogenesis is one of the most beautiful songs i've heard.

And this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
And I cannot remember if I said hear yet or not, but I love how much piano is on this record.  Matt Bellamy is a beast on the piano; I think he could be one of rock's best, but he doesn't play it enough, and it is not even his "main" instrument, so he will never get his due, but make no mistake, the guy can play his rocks off.
Completely agreed about the piano playing on this record. I mean, I like Black Holes a lot, but the reduced amount of piano was a shame. Nice to hear it in heavy usage again.

Although I'm not sure I agree about it not being his main instrument... unless you mean his main one is voice. It's certainly more his main instrument than guitar, he just plays guitar a lot more live (i.e. in songs where he has recorded both guitar and keys/piano in the studio, he'll usually pick guitar) because he can move around on the stage and "pull rock star poses". That's paraphrased from something he said after making Absolution I think.

Generally speaking, he plays guitar far more than piano, in the studio as well as live, so that is why I would call that his main instrument.

The album has grown on me, but I still think is their worst.

It is still too early for me to say if I like it as much or more than Absolution, Black Holes... or Origin of Symmetry, but unless you don't like this record at all, I have a hard time believing a Muse fan would like Showbiz more than this.  Showbiz has a few really good songs, but has a lot of crap, too; I consider it their worst album, by far.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:45 AM »
I honestly find that Showbiz isn't this great abomination that most Muse fans think it is, I rather enjoyed it. I'm not saying I like it more than the other three, but there is not this huge gap between it and the other three in my eyes.

Also, my copy of this shipped this morning. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Keytard

• Cyborg
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
This CD is so good!!!! There are very few CDs which, from the first note, make me say "this is fucking good!". This CD is one of those. It is really catchy, and really interesting.
When robots start having sex they'll be doing it to my music.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »
I honestly find that Showbiz isn't this great abomination that most Muse fans think it is, I rather enjoyed it. I'm not saying I like it more than the other three, but there is not this huge gap between it and the other three in my eyes.
I don't think anyone has called it an abomination; it's a good album, but it's nowhere near as good as anything else they've done.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
for the European people. Biffy Clyro is going to be opening for Muse on some dates in November and December 2009.

To see Biffy and Muse in 1 show would be pretty sweet.

Biffy Clyro's myspace blog
https://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=7901934&blogId=510558489

BIFFY TO SUPPORT MUSE - RESCHEDULE SEVERAL UK AND EUROPEAN SHOWS!
Biffy Clyro are delighted to announce that they have been invited by Muse to be their main support on 14 massive dates across Europe through November and December.

Unfortunately because of these support dates it has meant that several of the band’s UK and European headline shows have been rescheduled. The UK dates being rearranged are Southampton Guildhall moving to 24 October and Cardiff University to 25 October.

The band and management are sorry to anyone inconvenienced by the change of dates, but please be assured that all tickets for the shows are still valid for the rescheduled dates. We will be announcing rescheduled dates for the Dresden, Warsaw, Prague, Barcelona, Madrid and Toulouse shows in the coming weeks.

For more information and ticket details check out our new site at www.biffyclyro.com

The full list of UK, Ireland and European shows including those with Muse are:

Oct
24 Southampton, Guildhall. UK (Please note rescheduled date)
25 Cardiff, University. UK (Please note rescheduled date
28 Belfast, St. George’s Market. UK
29 Dublin, Olympia. Ireland

Nov
01 Dundee, Caird Hall, UK
02 Glasgow, Barrowland. UK
03 Glasgow, Barrowland. UK
04 Newcastle, Academy. UK
06 Leeds, Academy. UK
07 Manchester, Apollo. UK
08 Nottingham, Rock City. UK
09 Birmingham, Academy. UK
11 Norwich, UEA. UK
12 London, Brixton Academy. UK

14 Rotterdam, Ahoy. Holland (w/Muse)
15 Saarbrücken, Garage. Germany
16 Cologne, Lanxess Arena. Germany (w/Muse)
17 Paris, Bercy. France (w/Muse)
18 Zurich, Hallenstadion. Switzerland (w/Muse)
20 Munich, Olympiahalle. Germany (w/Muse)
21 Bologna, FuturShow Station. Italy (w/Muse)
22 Lyon, Hall Tony Garnier. France (w/Muse)
23 Cologne, Gloria. Germany
25 Toulouse, Zenith. France (w/Muse)
27 Barcelona, Pabellion Olympicaale da Badalona. Spain (w/Muse)
28 Madrid, Palacio de Deportes. Spain (w/Muse)
29 Lisbon, Pavilhao Atlantico. Portugal (w/Muse)

Dec
01 Limoges, Zenith. France (w/Muse)
02 Dijon, Zenith. France (w/Muse)
04 Turin, Palasport Olimpico. Italy (w/Muse)

05 Zurich, Mascotte. Switzerland
06 Munich, Backstage. Italy
07 Milan, Magnolia. Italy
09 Fribourg, Fri-Son. Switzerland
10 Vienna, Flex. Austria (Please note rescheduled date)
11 Wiesbaden, Schlachthof. Germany (Please note rescheduled date)
12 Hamburg, Grunspan. Germany (Please note rescheduled date)
13 Berlin, Postbanhof. Germany (Please note rescheduled date)
15 Paris, La Trabendo. France
16 Brussels, VK. Belgium
17 Amsterdam, Melkweg. Holland
19 Copenhagen, Loppen. Denmark (Please note rescheduled date)
20 Rotterdam, Watt Basement. Holland (Please note rescheduled date)
21 Bochum, Zeche. Germany (Please note rescheduled date)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
The bass line in Resistance is so friggin' great and really loud in the mix!

Anyone who hasn't paid attention to this while listening, go and do so now!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
The bass is so prominent in the whole album it's ridiculous and amazingly good.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
The bass is so prominent in the whole album it's ridiculous and amazingly good.
I know, but the part in that song in particular is just amazing :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2009, 09:59:43 PM »
United States of EURAJAAAAAAA  JAAAAAAAAAAAAAA JAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os_nITXTSuM

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
I just realized that USoE is a pretty good song except for the retarded chanting.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2009, 02:34:44 AM »
I just realized that USoE is a pretty good song except for the retarded chanting.

I think a lot of people were put off by the queen vocals and the lyrical content. I think it's a great track and that violin/piano section that comes in after the 'United Staaaaaaates of...' part is ridiculously good.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
It took a couple listens, but this CD is RIDICULOUSLY good. It blows my mind how Muse can creat an epic, beutiful soundscape that is still catchy and easy to listen to. Matt's vocals are amazing, Chris pulls of some super groovy bass lines, and Dom brings a solid background. All around brilliant. Top songs: Resistance, MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection, Exogenesis.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Got this in today. :D

Not going to listen to it till I go to visit Amanda later, as she'll want to hear it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
So far, songs I am totally loving:

"I Belong to You"
"Exogenesis"
"Unnatural Selection"

Songs I am liking a lot:

"Resistance"
"Uprising"

Songs I go back and forth between liking and being somewhat indifferent towards:

"Indisclosed Desires"
"United States of Eurasia"
"Guiding Light"
"MK Ultra"

Overall, I like this record a lot, but I have a feeling that the least best songs not being nearly as good as the least best songs on the three previous albums will put it at fourth on my favorite Muse records list. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
Which album to start with for this band fellas?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
Personally I'd say Absolution.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
Origin of Symmetry

or

Absolution
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Which album to start with for this band fellas?

As already said, you can't go wron with either Absolution or Origin of Symmetry. If you don't love either of those albums you probably won't love Muse.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
Just bought this album yesterday, been listening to it nonstop since.

INCREDIBLE job by Muse, I can't believe some of the bad press it's getting...I think it's an absolutely fantastic album.

Best tracks IMO: Exogenesis is simply impeccable--beautiful and inspiring and very well crafted.  Uprising is catchy as hell, and Unnatural Selection is a great rocker.  The title track is also a big winner in my book, and MK Ultra continues to grow on me...and for some reason I have a strange fascination with Undisclosed Desires, but I can't really figure out why.  Also the "United States of...EURASIA" part in that song is incredible.

WHAT AN AWESOME ALBUM.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »

Generally speaking, he plays guitar far more than piano, in the studio as well as live, so that is why I would call that his main instrument.
He actually writes all his songs on piano. Even heavy riffs like Stockholm Syndrome or dancey ones like Supermassive Black Hole, it's almost all originally written on piano. He's a far better pianist than guitarist. So yeah, piano's definitely DEFINITELY his main.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
Just bought it yesterday, early impressions are good

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
for some reason I have a strange fascination with Undisclosed Desires, but I can't really figure out why

Exactly this.  Every time it starts, I'm like "Oh, this]/i] one again."  But I keep going back to listen to it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
I'm seeing Muse on Thurday. They are opening for U2. I really couldn't care less. I'm just throwing that piece of information out there.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTt8Noi5Rk
Oh. My. God.

That was absolutely hilarious!

Dom actually does a great job pretending to be a frontman :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTt8Noi5Rk

:lol Muse are always hilarious when it comes to "playing" at TV shows.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.