Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207466 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Muse - "Something Human" new single 2018
« Reply #1295 on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »
Bellamy answered a bunch of questions on Twitter tonight.

I was a little bummed that, when asked if the new album would have piano, he said there would be bits.  Sounds like another album with no piano-driven songs. :(

As great as they still were live last year when I saw them, it was a bummer that the section where he sits down at the piano for 2-4 songs seems to have gone by the wayside.  Hopefully, it was just a Drones tour thing, but with there not likely to be any piano songs on the new album, I'd be surprised if they bring that section back live.
Muse are doing a lot of little things like that and they're starting to add up, for me.

Their by request sets were genuinely excellent, but they sort of feel like an apology for their increasingly-rote sets that I can't see going anywhere any time soon. Matt described Thought Contagion as "Fury II" - which it definitely bloody isn't.

There was a time when it felt like Muse were plugging directly into my brain and making a band just for me. I don't hate any of the new songs (and I think Dig Down is brilliant), but it feels like that genius has left them a little, lately. I'm definitely going to keep listening, but I don't know how much longer I'll be following every single movement.

I hear what you are saying.  I became a fan right around when Black Holes and Revelations came out, and at the time, when I was knee deep in the honeymoon phase, as good as I thought Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes all were, I thought they still had their masterpiece in them. Now, I am convinced that those three albums were as good as it will ever get with them, and that is not a bad thing at all. All three albums are tremendous and how many bands in the 21st century have had a 3-album run as good as that?  Not many.

Now, unlike some Muse fans, I do not think that their songs have plummeted downhill since. No, none of the albums since are as great as those three, but they've all been, at worst, good.  The Resistance was a good record; The 2nd Law was really, really good (tweak the running order and knock off a couple songs and it could have been great); Drones was really good.  There are plenty of great Muse songs post-Black Holes: Uprising, The Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, I Belong to You, Madness, Survival, Follow Me, Explorers, Big Freeze, Isolated System, Dead Inside, Reapers, Defector, etc.

Do I think this year's forthcoming album will break their top 3?  No, I do not, but so what?  That is like expecting Dream Theater to top I&W, Awake or Scenes at this point.  Not gonna happen, but Muse is still more than capable of giving us lots of good music, and that is what I fully expect. :coolio

I don't understand how you can get behind their new pseudo-pop music (and not even good at that) when you know what they used to be capable of.

Pseudo-pop?  Come on, now. Muse has always written super catchy songs. This is not new. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1296 on: July 21, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »
I agree with basically everything Kev just said, the only exception being that I rank 2nd Law above Black Holes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1297 on: July 21, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
Honestly, I'm liking this new song a lot more than the other two they've dropped so far. I appreciate them trying new things this far into their career. The juxtaposition of the synths and guitar is really nice and gives me some Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots vibes

Really sad to see that they're phasing out the piano focused songs tho. Most of my favorite Muse songs are the piano focused ones like Butterflies or Eurasia

Also, no idea what is even going on with these videos. They're so over the top and cheesy that I think they're doing an homage to Kung Fury

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »
I agree with basically everything Kev just said, the only exception being that I rank 2nd Law above Black Holes.

Welcome to the dark side. :biggrin:

Honestly, I'm liking this new song a lot more than the other two they've dropped so far. I appreciate them trying new things this far into their career. The juxtaposition of the synths and guitar is really nice and gives me some Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots vibes

Really sad to see that they're phasing out the piano focused songs tho. Most of my favorite Muse songs are the piano focused ones like Butterflies or Eurasia

Also, no idea what is even going on with these videos. They're so over the top and cheesy that I think they're doing an homage to Kung Fury

I really like the way the synths bubble up underneath Bellamy's voice when he sings the "Something human, human" line. Very cool effect.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1299 on: July 21, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »

Welcome to the dark side. :biggrin:

Hey, it's happened before.

Like, maybe twice. Three times, tops. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1300 on: July 21, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
So they're releasing an album after all? That's more exciting.  :tup

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Muse - Simulation Theory (new Album coming November 2018)
« Reply #1301 on: July 22, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
They've not grabbed me since The Resistance altho Drones had a couple of weeks rotation when it came out.

The singles have been ok ish. I'll give the album a good go when it comes out.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1302 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
I've always been a casual Muse fan, but I spent the last couple of days listening to almost all of their albums (only ones I haven't gotten to yet are Showbiz and Black Holes). I was planning to get to Black Holes soon but didn't get the time yet, so I'll do that this evening. Really didn't know how weird some of their songs could be, but I like most of it. Current rankings:

1. Origin of Symmetry
2. 2nd Law
3. Absolution
4. Drones
5. The Resistance

From the tunes I've heard from Black Holes it's looking to end up #2 or #3, but maybe I've just heard the great ones. Also particularly impressed with some of the songs on Drones, I kind of discarded it as a lame rock album based on the lead single and The Globalist sounding like a forced 10 minute tune, but for example Reapers into The Handler is one sick 1-2 punch.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1303 on: August 12, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
*sees album title* inb4 the Dream Theater fans show up... :corn

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
Pre-orders have gone live today! There are several formats included:
Standard CD - just the album with 11 tracks
Deluxe CD - the album with 11 tracks, plus 5 bonus tracks (alternate versions of album songs)
Super Deluxe CD/Vinyl box set - a 2CD/2LP set of the album with 11 tracks, plus a bonus disc of 10 more tracks (same 5 above, plus 5 more alternate versions of songs)
Digital - self-explanatory
Cassette - Yes, they're making cassettes of the album. Super 80's...

Anyways, I'm torn between the Deluxe CD and Super Deluxe, but I don't even own a vinyl player, so the box set would just be another pretty box for me to own, plus the CDs with the 5 more bonus tracks (which are alright, I guess). The Super Deluxe set is $49.99 while the Deluxe CD is only $13.99...might go for the cheaper option, to be honest.

If you order from their store, you get downloads of four album songs right away!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1305 on: September 01, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
Well, I've pre-ordered and I've listened to the four released songs a few times, and they all sound good to me. I love the vibe this album is going for, and I can't wait to hear what the other 7 songs will sound like when the whole thing comes out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1306 on: September 01, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
The song they just released, The Dark Side, is pretty killer.  Definitely the best of the four we've heard thus far, and I like the two released earlier this year both quite a bit.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1307 on: September 02, 2018, 04:45:30 AM »
The Dark side was pretty cool. The band however diminished my interest in this album by putting out four singles in a period of a year and a half. I'll probably stay away from further teasers and the singles we've heard so far until the album comes out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1308 on: September 02, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
Considering it was released in May of last year, I am surprised that Dig Down was included on the forthcoming album. I figured it was just a standalone single.

Considering the vibe of these songs we've heard thus far, I can't wait to hear how good some of the deep cuts are.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1309 on: September 02, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »
Well, at least the bonus tracks are just acoustic versions and remixes, so I don't have to destroy myself looking for the special editions.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1310 on: September 02, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
I love the overall 80s vibe of this!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Re: Muse - v. Simulation Theory (rel Nov. 9, 2018)
« Reply #1311 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Please ignore my message if you are sensitive about criticism :)
I have several good albums with the retro vibe and great songs, but those 4 singles are the less inspired and the weakest radio friendly disposable songs I ever heard from a big band.
Come on Muse, try to write an album without just borrowing other band's sound signature like imagine dragon's voices choruses or kavinsky's 80's electro...
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1312 on: September 27, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
New song and music video posted this morning, "Pressure", which features some cool guests - Terry Crews, Chance Michael and Julia Robinson - and directed by Lance Drake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eKImKZviw

The song is pretty catchy. I'm sure it'll sound better in context with the whole album, but now we've got 5 of 11 songs with singles/videos, with 5 weeks to go til release. I wonder if they'll do one more video and/or single before release, or if this is it? Either way, with the story these videos have presented, I honestly wouldn't mind one more, it's been an interesting ride through the 80's, to say the least.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1313 on: September 27, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
Song seemed kind of weird at first, but got catchy as it kept going.  They are clearly fans of Back to the Future. :lol :lol

Then again, who isn't?

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1314 on: October 01, 2018, 12:36:47 AM »
Again, bad guy speaking honestly :D
New song is far more enjoyable, tho it's a little cheesy and not revolutionnary.
I hate the verse, that looks like a jack white riff with unnatural selection verse over it.

But chorus if funny and cringy :)

I hope the 6 other songs are better than the 5 we got as clips.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: October 02, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
Aside from the first album, Muse is always really good at the deep cuts being really good, so I have faith that the rest of the album will be more than good.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1316 on: October 03, 2018, 06:41:53 AM »
Dig Down (acoustic gospel version?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6vNRx3it54

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1317 on: October 03, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »
New song and music video posted this morning, "Pressure", which features some cool guests - Terry Crews, Chance Michael and Julia Robinson - and directed by Lance Drake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eKImKZviw

The song is pretty catchy. I'm sure it'll sound better in context with the whole album, but now we've got 5 of 11 songs with singles/videos, with 5 weeks to go til release. I wonder if they'll do one more video and/or single before release, or if this is it? Either way, with the story these videos have presented, I honestly wouldn't mind one more, it's been an interesting ride through the 80's, to say the least.

-Marc.

Love the video, hate the track...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1318 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
My friend and I just pre ordered two Deluxe editions.

I noticed a weird thing about the Muse Online store: In Europe, the box set is 62€, but in the US it's only 50$ (which is around 42€!), while it's 50 Pounds (which is around 57€!) in GB.

BUT you can set the store to "American English" and you'll pay the American price and just pay 10$ shipping to Europe. Even if you order two box sets from the US, it's still only 10 bucks for shipping. So basically, the two of us just paid 110$ for two box sets, which is around 48€ per box set (shipping included), while it's usually 62 (plus shipping!) if you order it at the Muse store when it's set in German :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: October 03, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
Dig Down (acoustic gospel version?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6vNRx3it54

I don't hate the normal version like a lot of people do, but this new version is a major improvement. They should play it like that every time now (even if they have to trigger the pre-recorded gospel vocals).

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1320 on: October 04, 2018, 02:19:29 AM »
Muse has always been compared to Queen and finally it makes sense to me  :o

They have already made their crazy Queen I and II records (Showbiz and Origins) and after that got some hit caliber with Absolution (which ofc is their Sheer Heart Attack) and to finally release their A Night at the Opera with Black Holes. They even had their Bohemian Rhapsody with Knight of Cydonia on that one (both being crazy epics and the 11th track!!!)

A Day at The Races (Resistance) and News of The World (2nd Law) had some nice hits for the old fans but tried new stuff to finally get into the whole weird 80s stuff with The Game, Flash Gordon and ofc Hot Space. So Muse is in the 80s era thingy trying some movie theme stuff with Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) where Queen ofc did Flash Gordon and the more related Highlander themes.

Simulation Theory makes me think we are now at Hot Space which sadly is the album I least appreciate with Queen and from listening to the new Muse stuff I guess it's valid there as well. For you non-Queen fans, just listen to Body Language on Hot Space and say I am not spot on at this point!

However, the positive side of all this is that Muse has yet to release their Innuendo  :hat
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:24:47 AM by Pettor »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1321 on: October 04, 2018, 02:43:42 AM »

However, the positive side of all this is that Muse has yet to release their Innuendo  :hat

Shame that they have already released their song Innuendo. Theirs is named United States Of Eurasia ;)

Interesting thoughts though!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1322 on: November 07, 2018, 11:38:30 PM »
It's release week and I must admit that I've heard the album once in its entirety, and I have to say, I already like it loads more than the previous 2 albums. I'm not sure why, but I just dig everything on here a lot. Maybe it's the fact that it's got a lot of 80s-inspired sounds, which definitely tickles some nostalgia for me. It's also nice to finally hear the previously released tracks in sequence with the whole album, and they sound good there.

-Marc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1323 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:41 AM »
Muse has always been compared to Queen and finally it makes sense to me  :o
Muse have sounded like Queen (crossed with Radiohead) since their first album. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #1324 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:05 PM »
It is official. The new Muse album sucks

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
First listen is still on but this seems to be good background music but nothing else. None of songs have stood out from this record. If they wanted to it sound like 80s they could have done it more obliviously (okay, algorithm and dark side were nice try)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:12:55 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1326 on: November 09, 2018, 03:18:46 AM »
Unfortunately, I agree it sucks. It is not the musical direction they took, I just think the songs are really weak and often feel barebones.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1327 on: November 09, 2018, 04:12:35 AM »
Does anyone think Matts voice is less pleasing starting with The Resistance? I don't know but on Black Holes I even though it was fantastic. But he started to sing in a dramatic voice with a bit of more "depth", like the way it sounds on his first singing in Algorithm or even more obvious in Madness. I really don't like that style and his singing has instead annoyed me over the last albums. Not sure if it's the mix where his voice is a bit clearer that made this more obvious, but listening to Take a Bow it just doesn't have that issue for me. Anyway, that is personal and ofc anyone who has a unique voice will always be a matter of taste and he ofc is a great singer :)

Listening to new album. 80s is not my favorite era. Or it depends. If it's just "let's utilize 80s sounds because it's fun" I usually don't find much pleasure. But some artists have utilized it and found great sounds within it.

So far not sure about this album. The songs don't come of as very strong initially so far. Some stuff is nice but yeah I will see I guess.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1328 on: November 09, 2018, 07:03:36 AM »
The new albums sounds like Drones never even existed. It's a logical progression from The 2nd law.

After the first couple of listens, it's very hit and miss. Some of the songs I truly adore, some are a chore to listen to. I'm looking forward to spinning it over the weekend, though.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1329 on: November 09, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
The new albums sounds like Drones never even existed. It's a logical progression from The 2nd law.
I was thinking that too. I guess I'm lucky that they put out Drones then, because I really liked it. This however...not for me  :tdwn
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww