Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207763 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Muse - new album"Drones" (2015)
« Reply #1155 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:51 AM »
I would love to see The Globalist live.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: October 26, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »
Getting tickets to see Muse on December 5th.  :caffeine:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1157 on: May 21, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
I've been spinning The 2nd Law lately and it amazes me how superior it is over Drones. I mean, it took 2nd Law some time to grow on me, but once it did I found some true beauty in it. On the other hand, I haven't had the urge or desire to listen anything off Drones in the last couple of months.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1158 on: May 22, 2016, 02:10:02 AM »
I agree The 2nd Law is superior, although I liked Drones as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1159 on: May 22, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
I've been spinning The 2nd Law lately and it amazes me how superior it is over Drones. I mean, it took 2nd Law some time to grow on me, but once it did I found some true beauty in it. On the other hand, I haven't had the urge or desire to listen anything off Drones in the last couple of months.

I agree.  I like Drones, but it never really grabbed me by the throat and forced me to listen to it non-stop for any kind of sustained period.  I don't dislike any songs from it, but the only songs from it that I ever listen to anymore are Dead Inside, Reapers, Aftermath and The Globalist.

Meanwhile, I still think everything on The 2nd Law is great, and I can still listen to that one from start to finish without ever wanting to hit skip.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything that Kev said, though I would add The Handler to the list of enjoyable songs - the bass on that song is amazing, and I love the groove throughout. Also, the title track is pretty cool.

Still, that's half of the album that I don't much care for, so I rarely come back to it. The 2nd Law and Origins of Symmetry are the only two Muse albums that I find myself listening to with regularity, tbh.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1161 on: May 23, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
I haven't spun Drones in some months now, or even at all this year, but I have been listening to their first four albums over the course of the last few days, both at home and during my commutes around town/to and from work, and I have to say, I still REALLY dig their first three albums, a lot. They sound so fresh and there's a lot in their first three that sort of seems lost in their following albums. The songs miss something that was present in those, but I couldn't tell you what exactly. I really dig the piano and keyboards a lot in the first couple of albums, so maybe that's what it is. Who knows.

I've been listening in chronological order, so I'll catch back up to Drones at some point this or next week. I'm currently on BH&R, and it's as good as I remember it. I also remember hearing some of these tracks a LOT due to the radio and just hearing them whenever I go out. They definitely got a LOT of play back when the album and its singles came out, didn't they?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1162 on: May 23, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »
Yeah, that album got a shitton of play. I remember hearing Map of the Problematique on TV during a horse race program and being like  :huh: :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1163 on: May 24, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
I once noticed both Hysteria & Supermassive Black Hole being played in one and the same cooking show in Germany and I was quite confused as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1164 on: August 04, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
I am *SUPER* late to the party on Muse.    I heard Knights of Cydonia on Rock Band and heard everyone talk about the comparisons to Never Enough when Octavarium first came out.    But beyond that I had not heard a note.

My cousin/daughter (cousin whom has become like a daughter to me) showed me The Globalist, and I LOVED it.  I went out and picked up Drones, and I really love it.   

I've been wondering what Mutt Lange was up to lately.   Is this the first thing he's produced since breaking up with Shania?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1165 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Not sure, but if you like Drones a lot, way till you hear their other albums.  Don't get me wrong, Drones is a highly enjoyable record, but not quite as great as most of their others. Enjoy.  :tup :tup

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1166 on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
"Dig Down" being released 1-week from today, 5/18

https://twitter.com/muse/status/862677698195447810

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1167 on: May 12, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
Nice. Seems faster than usual.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
I know it's been two years, but why does it feel like they moved on from Drones really quickly. I feel like they barely toured it.

Regardless, excited for the new track
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: May 17, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
Muse should be a band I really dig but for some reason I can't enjoy a lot of their stuff.

I enjoy the odd song here and there but not really a fan of their albums. BH&R was ok though.

I really love Hysteria. Uprising. Knights of Cydonia is cool. Plug in baby is alright. Supermassive Black Hole is...alright..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1170 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
I know it's been two years, but why does it feel like they moved on from Drones really quickly. I feel like they barely toured it.

In this day and age of most things being one extreme or the other, Drones was a rare exception, in that it seemed to be a record that most thought was good or solid.  I never saw a ton of major praise or major criticism of it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1171 on: May 17, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »

In this day and age of most things being one extreme or the other, Drones was a rare exception, in that it seemed to be a record that most thought was good or solid.  I never saw a ton of major praise or major criticism of it.

You know, I agree with both of you. I really don't feel like, for a band as big as Muse, that Drones made much noise. I also agree that no one seemed to think it was their worst or their best. We know it existed, but we'll look back and have a hard time showing proof of it. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1172 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »
New single doesn't necessarily mean new album, right? Or am I missing some information?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1173 on: May 18, 2017, 01:27:52 AM »
My mindset keeps telling me that 2nd Law was the last album. Drones came out. I bought Drones. I've listened to the album before. I like a few of the songs, but overall it never stuck out that hard for me and I keep forgetting it exists.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: May 18, 2017, 02:55:12 AM »
I'm like that with Warning by Green Day. I always think that American Idiot came out 7 years after Nimrod then I remember Warning exists.

I even really like the album I just always forget about it :p

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1175 on: May 18, 2017, 03:29:18 AM »
In retrospect, Drones was just slightly underwhelming. There was nothing wrong with it aside from several lyrical faux pas, but there are only occasional moments of brilliance. The 2nd law was more impressive.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1176 on: May 18, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »
I found The 2nd Law better than Drones as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1177 on: May 18, 2017, 06:22:10 AM »

You know, I agree with both of you. I really don't feel like, for a band as big as Muse, that Drones made much noise. I also agree that no one seemed to think it was their worst or their best. We know it existed, but we'll look back and have a hard time showing proof of it. :lol

Exactly. :lol :lol

New single doesn't necessarily mean new album, right? Or am I missing some information?

Not necessarily.

In retrospect, Drones was just slightly underwhelming. There was nothing wrong with it aside from several lyrical faux pas, but there are only occasional moments of brilliance. The 2nd law was more impressive.

Very much so.  The 2nd Law was mostly great.  Drones has a few songs I often revisit - Reapers, Aftermath, Dead Inside and The Globalist - but the rest is all just kind of there.  I mean, nothing is bad (except those really stupid lyrics in Psycho), but those songs are just kind of...there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1178 on: May 18, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I got fatigued a bit with this band so I didn't play the Drones that much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1179 on: May 18, 2017, 06:37:54 AM »
Muse should be a band I really dig but for some reason I can't enjoy a lot of their stuff.

I enjoy the odd song here and there but not really a fan of their albums. BH&R was ok though.

I really love Hysteria. Uprising. Knights of Cydonia is cool. Plug in baby is alright. Supermassive Black Hole is...alright..

This has always been me with Muse. I feel like, in theory I would love their stuff, but it's always been totally hit or miss for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: May 18, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »
A large part of it is that I can't take a frontman seriously who believes every conspiracy theory going.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: May 18, 2017, 07:05:16 AM »
A large part of it is that I can't take a frontman seriously who believes every conspiracy theory going.

Does he?  I never read up on that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »
Haha. He's notorious for it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »
I never read about the band.  Well, now I'll check that out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Muse - New Single"Dig Down" (2017) pg 34.
« Reply #1185 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Matt had a (pre-taped) interview on my local Philly rock station this morning and stated the next album isn't due out till likely fall or late 2018.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: May 18, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Matt has to study the next 12 issues of Fortean Times and The Enquirer first ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1187 on: May 18, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »
The new song is pretty good.  Nothing too fancy, and a more than obvious attempt to write Madness Part 2, but a solid tune.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1188 on: May 18, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
And they're sounding like 80's synth rock again.. I hate to sound like that guy, but where are the freakin' real drums, bass and guitar. This pastiche of 80's Queen-isms they've done before, and better. Ugh.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: May 19, 2017, 01:21:10 AM »
Wow that was so boring. I kept expecting it to kick in - but it never does.

Reminded me of Queen covering One Tree Hill.