Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207760 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: Muse - new album"Drones" (2015)
« Reply #1120 on: June 18, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »
In complete and utter honesty. This is the first Muse album since Absolution that I can listen to front to back and not get bored or disappointed.

Completely solid album!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1121 on: June 18, 2015, 12:38:10 AM »
Man, I'm really loving this album. The vocals are heavenly, the grooves are just divine. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1122 on: June 18, 2015, 02:31:07 AM »
Revolt seems to be getting a lot of dislike by fans, but I like it.  It's not a favorite, but I like it. 

I don't understand why Revolt would be getting dislike it's great what
I don't dislike it at all, I just think it's the least good on the album. It's just quite bland and a bit cheesy. And given that it's meant to be the big climax of the main story with some kind of huge revolution, it's just not a very dramatic song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1123 on: June 18, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
Revolt seems to be getting a lot of dislike by fans, but I like it.  It's not a favorite, but I like it. 

I don't understand why Revolt would be getting dislike it's great what
I don't dislike it at all, I just think it's the least good on the album. It's just quite bland and a bit cheesy. And given that it's meant to be the big climax of the main story with some kind of huge revolution, it's just not a very dramatic song.

Pretty sure the climax is The Globalist.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1124 on: June 18, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
Nope, Globalist is a separate story. The main concept runs from Dead Inside through to Aftermath (hence the name), The Globalist is a separate story that is apparently a sort of sequel to Citizen Erased, and then the title track is a sort of coda to the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1125 on: June 18, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »
Really... Where did you hear that?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1126 on: June 18, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
Eh, I am not buying the "it's sort of a sequel to Citizen Erased" story.  I think that is something someone probably said early on, Muse fans grabbed on to it (because CE is such a fan favorite), and boom, the myth that The Globalist is somehow tied to Citizen Erased has now spread.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1127 on: June 18, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
Well I finally figured out a way to listen to The Globalist, and I thought it was okay.  Definitely not my favorite song on the album.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
Eh, I am not buying the "it's sort of a sequel to Citizen Erased" story.  I think that is something someone probably said early on, Muse fans grabbed on to it (because CE is such a fan favorite), and boom, the myth that The Globalist is somehow tied to Citizen Erased has now spread.

https://www.gigwise.com/news/99272/muse-drones-album-to-feature-citizen-erased-sequel-the-globalist

A lot of fans keep tweeting, asking what song is the sequel to 'Citizen Erased' - it's a song called 'The Globalist' which is basically a narrative within itself about the rise and fall of a dictator, the end of the world, World War Three and all the good stuff I like," he laughed.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1129 on: June 20, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »
Well what would Matt Bellamy know about it anyway? :P

I'm really enjoying the album so far. I don't think I'll like it better than 2nd Law, but we'll see.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1130 on: June 20, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
Well what would Matt Bellamy know about it anyway? :P

I'm really enjoying the album so far. I don't think I'll like it better than 2nd Law, but we'll see.
Drones and 2nd Law are currently battling it out for 3rd place in my estimation, behind Absolution and Origin of Symmetry as my top 2.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1131 on: June 20, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
The Handler and Reapers are like, miles ahead of anything on The 2nd Law and The Resistance, so Drones easily steps ahead of those two for me. I think Black Holes is my favorite, Absolution second.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: June 20, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
1. Absolution
2. Black Holes and Revelations
3. Origin of Symmetry
4. Drones
5. The 2nd Law
6. The Resistance
7. Showbiz

Something like that.  There's a lot of room for change, since I have a really hard time picking between the top three, and I'm still getting used to Drones.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1133 on: June 20, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Black Holes > Absolutions > The 2nd Law > The Origins > Drones > > > Showbiz > Resistance

Though Drones could go up above Origins at some point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1134 on: June 21, 2015, 02:48:13 AM »
I do find it strange how loved Black Holes is here. I mean it's great and all, but I'd probably only rank it above Showbiz, maybe on a par with the Resistance.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1135 on: June 21, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »
I'm obviously in the minority, but Black holes is my least favorite Muse album. Some of the tracks are great, but the streak of songs from Invincible up to and including Hoodoo is pretty bland and samey.

Lets try to rank the albums:

Origin of symmetry
Showbiz
Absolution
The 2nd law
Drones
The Resistance
Black holes and revelations

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1136 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:22 AM »
1. Origins
2. Second Law
3. Drones
4. Black Holes
5. Absolution
6. Resistance
7. Showbiz
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1137 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:47 AM »
Origin of Symmetry
Absolution
Black Holes n Revelations
The Resistance
Showbiz

Drones
The 2nd Law

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1138 on: June 21, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »
I do find it strange how loved Black Holes is here. 

Different opinions sure are strange, eh?  :biggrin:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1139 on: June 23, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
Finally got a chance to listen to this a bunch while in Alaska, and really diggin' it so far! I agree Revolt is pretty cheesy and one of my least favorites, but I still like it. Love the finale.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1140 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »
Finally got a chance to take a listen to the album proper. Loving it so far. I was about halfway through Mercy when I realized that it was the song from the Arkham Knight commercial.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1141 on: July 11, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
I must be the only DirecTV subscriber because no one mentioned the Muse concert they aired on their channel.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1142 on: July 11, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
I got Drones a few days ago. I became a MASSIVE Muse fan back in around 2001-2002, I don't listen to them as much as I used to due to new artists coming into my life etc. but I'll always love and respect them. Unfortunately I felt that they went off the boil a bit with Resistance and 2nd Law, there are some amazing tracks on those records (2nd Law moreso than Resistance, although MK Ultra and the symphony at the end of Resistance are sublime) but I kinda lost interest by the time Drones appeared. Just got round to buying it finally though!

Regarding the record, I'm actually pretty impressed with it, there are a few tracks I'm totally besotted with already, namely Dead Inside, Psycho, Reapers and most of all, The Handler. I love the way they seem to have gotten back to their raw dirty guitar-drive roots on those tracks, The Globalist seems pretty awesome so far too from the bits that have sunk in, I initially thought hey cool, I like the way they've taken a bit of inspiration from Elgar for that track until they actually launched pretty much into a rendition haha. One of the things I dig most about Muse has always been the way they've fused classical music with rock, Bellamy is underrated as a pianist in my opinion. But yeah, The Handler is the absolute standout for me so far, I can't explain how hard that track is hitting me right now. I've had it basically on repeat.

As usually happens, once I listen to Muse I get sucked back into a huge Muse binge that can last days to weeks... been listening through their back catalogue over the past few days amongst Drones and whenever that happens it really sinks in how much this band has and will always mean to me. Pretty much ever major even in my life from the ages of about 12-22 has a Muse track attached to it, they were the soundtrack to my voyage into discovering my own music. They have an insanely high percentage of quality songs in their body of work, I'm really excited to see how Drones ages and settles in amongst classics like Origin, Absolution and Black Holes. I think this album may be what kinda rejuvenates my love for this band from a past nostalgia to a current adoration.

Album ranking cos why not:

Origin of Symmetry
Absolution
Black Holes and Revelations
2nd Law
Showbiz (the songs on it I love I REALLY love, there just aren't enough of them)
Resistance (feels weird for a record containing the Exogensis Symphony to not be automatically at the top but yeah...)

Too early to say how Drones fits into there.

Special mention goes to the Hullabaloo b-sides disc which contains my all-time favourite Muse song and probably top three songs of all time by anyone, Hyper Chondriac Music. That song is so painful to listen to but got me through one of the hardest times of my life, it's my third most played track on last.fm with 950 plays, and the majority of its time spent with me was before I even got that account lol. Whenever I play that track it feels like coming home. It's the weirdest feeling. It makes me feel all snuggled up and shut off from the world. I have a beautiful memory of listening to it on headphones on a coach driving through the mountains in Switzerland at 5am as the sun rose, all of my friends asleep around me, just me and the song. The people I love already know that I want this song on at my funeral.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1143 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
  Bellamy is underrated as a pianist in my opinion. 

I think it's undoubtedly his best instrument.

I must be the only DirecTV subscriber because no one mentioned the Muse concert they aired on their channel.

While this album seems to be liked, the excitement level for it seems to not be very high. I can relate, because while I like it, I am not getting that "I have to listen to it" vibe from it.  Most of the time when I do listen to it, it's because I was reminded by someone or something that, hey, Muse has a new CD out, so I should probably give it a go again.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1144 on: July 12, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
I'm worried Muse might have already hit ceiling with their incredibly strong early albums. Drones, being a good album and everything, feels...bland. It feels safe,  so to speak. I feel they're in a position in which they know that anything they put out is going to be loved and worshiped by millions, so they aren't taking bold risks anymore. Heck, even 2nd Law was a bold move back in 2012. After listening to Drones many times I've come to the conclusion that they even had a shortage of fresh ideas this time (some of The Globalist's main vocal and melodic ideas are extremely similar to some of Unnatural Selection and United States of Eurasia); but hey...I can't blame them. They deserve being where they are, in the top of the music world...though I'm just sayin' that it's extremely hard to be there. Heck, even The Beatles couldn't handle it once they were in their absolute top game  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1145 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »
Yep, I definitely hear some melodies in there that are similar to previous ones.  Recycled melodies, if you will. ;)

I agree with a lot of your point.  Again, I like Drones quite a bit, but it does seem like kind of a "band on auto-pilot" release.  The good news is that Muse's less than great stuff is still mostly highly enjoyable, at least to me. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1146 on: July 12, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
Drones is a bit lacking in variety, I feel, which is its biggest weakness, it's still a solid album though. Not amazing but, okay. I like it more than the last two.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1147 on: July 13, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
Drones is a bit lacking in variety, I feel, which is its biggest weakness, it's still a solid album though. Not amazing but, okay. I like it more than the last two.
Funnily enough, I think that its 'lack of variety' is one of its strengths. The record, although dull and uninspired in parts, feels cohesive musically and stylistically. One of my biggest gripes with The Resistance was that it tried to be lots of things, and didn't quite get there in most of them (unlike Black Holes, which is a tour-de-force of musical styles and succeeded in making something amazing out of that).

Oh, and for the record...my favorite track off the album is Drones. No kidding. I'd kill to listen to a real choir adaptation of that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1148 on: July 13, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
I don't think that Drones is weak at all, but I do think that it's sorta samey, all in all. It does have some very good songs though, and the title track is stunning.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
One reason I like Absolution a lot is because it's both all over the place and yet very consistent and cohesive.  Drones has the second one of those, sure, but it's lacking in the first.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1150 on: July 14, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »
I guess when you blow your load with albums like Origin, Absolution and Black Holes so early in your career, it's kinda hard to know where to take it from there!

I love how so many of the tracks on Drones remind me of the early Muse, just three people bashing away at their instruments, there's something beautifully raw about songs like Psycho, The Handler and Reapers. I really fucking dig the riffs and verses and energy in Reapers although I definitely didn't expect the chorus to go where it did!

It's pretty weird as someone who got into Muse back as an early teen to see them still going and releasing music now I'm in my late twenties. Weird in a good way but when I listen to tracks like Deadstar and Fury it's hard to recognise it's the same band! I always forget to listen to their older stuff like Showbiz, but this album has sparked such a Muse fest in my life right now. Showbiz, what a song. Those vocals, that anguish and depth. That A flat (I think... Relying on 15 years of memory!).
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1151 on: August 10, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »
When Muse finally hits the States, they had better start playing Aftermath, The Globalist and Defector live. Those songs will always slay live. :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1152 on: August 24, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »
No one agrees with my comment from two weeks ago? :censored :lol :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: August 24, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »
i dunno, reapers is the song they should be hyping up

i haven't listened to this album in a long time now, forgot about it pretty quick  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1154 on: August 24, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
Well yeah, Reapers is the clear standout from it, but those songs I mentioned need to get the live treatment, too.  They just have so many songs that crowds go bonkers for, it's hard not to play most of them, which makes it hard to squeeze in too many new songs, especially as their number of albums grow.