Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207761 times)

Offline BelichickFan

Re: Muse - new album"Drones" (2015)
« Reply #1085 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
I don't know if I will be able to get past that stupid ass drill sergeant stuff in Psycho.  Talk about ruining a potentially good song with that silly crap.

I deleted the Drill Sargent and JFK tracks.  No need for them, for me anyway.  There's still a little bit of both in the tracks that follow but it's 95% gone and totally OK now.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1086 on: June 10, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
The best track is Drones. No kidding.

It was so amazing and yet so different it was the only track that had me pushing the replay button. As far as the whole album goes, I think it was really good although I'm beginning to believe we're not getting another amazing 11/10 album from them. My favorite songs are the last 3: Aftermath, Globalist and Drones.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1087 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Gave a couple of fair listens to this album today.

It's definetly better than The 2nd Law, and has a great flow. All the songs are memorable and I appreciate the band trying to step back from the big-ass orchestra electronic dubstep thing that they were slowly becoming  :lol (not that I didn't like that)

Best songs are Mercy thru The Globalist, minus Revolt, which is ok.

Also, the lyrics are shit (Reapers and Aftermath are the only songs with good lyrics IMO)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1088 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
I've never really liked any of Muse's lyrics. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1089 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
LOL, true.  They rarely have wretchedly bad lyrics, but also rarely have notable good ones. 

I don't know if I will be able to get past that stupid ass drill sergeant stuff in Psycho.  Talk about ruining a potentially good song with that silly crap.

I deleted the Drill Sargent and JFK tracks.  No need for them, for me anyway.  There's still a little bit of both in the tracks that follow but it's 95% gone and totally OK now.

I love Muse, but that drill sergeant yelling stuff is just so bad.  It's like something you'd hear from a band full of teenagers that you know will never make it. :lol

As far as the whole album goes, I think it was really good although I'm beginning to believe we're not getting another amazing 11/10 album from them. .

I think I agree.  I managed to listen twice today (slower day at work, woohoo!), and I think it is a good solid record, but not even close to the greatness of Origin, Absolution and Black Holes.  Seems like a step down from The 2nd Law, which I have grown to really love. Then again, I am only two listens into this one so far, so you never know.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1090 on: June 10, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
Still very much forming my opinion of this album. I've spun it a half dozen times, yet for the most part I have trouble nailing down my thoughts. I will say that I think that it is overall slightly weaker than 2nd Law.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2015, 12:37:40 AM »
I've only listened to it twice so far but am highly impressed. It reminds me of Absolution, which is my favourite Muse album.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: June 11, 2015, 01:12:14 AM »
At first I wasn't impressed at all but I gave it few more spins and now I weirdly like it. Reapers could be my favorite track, Mercy and The Handler a little behind.

Can't decide yet is this better than 2nd Law. I liked those electronic sounds (aka dupstep) Muse used on last album, the more traditional sound on Drones is okay too but they could somehow combine these two...

Only weak tracks are Psycho and Defector which I just can't get into, and those silly "interludes" (Drill Sergant and JFK) are just pointless.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1093 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
It's like something you'd hear from a band full of teenagers that you know will never make it. :lol
I can understand why some people wouldn't like the drill sergeant stuff, but I don't get this comment at all. Those sections are tongue-in-cheek and fit the subject of the album, and I don't get a teenage-band vibe from them at all.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1094 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:04 AM »
Defector stood out on the first couple of listens, especially because of the chord progression that also appears in the background during JFK, it's such a great melody. I'm also really digging Reapers at the moment.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1095 on: June 11, 2015, 09:03:27 AM »
Sounding good so far!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1096 on: June 11, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
I am surprised to see very little discussion about The Globalist.  This being DTF, I would think everyone would be wanting to talk about them doing a rare 10-minute song. :lol :lol

I am still trying to figure out what I think of it.  I think every section is damn good, but it seems like a mash-up of separate sections shoehorned into one song (which some would say is prog  :lol :lol).  The rocking section about halfway in is pretty awesome, especially with those background vocals, but just when it is really kicking in full force, it suddenly ends and segue ways abruptly into that mellow section that ends the song, which is gorgeous, but the overall flow of the song just seems a bit choppy.  That is my impression of it after several listens.  I am sure I will grow to really like it and look back on this post and think WTF. :facepalm:

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1097 on: June 11, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
Does anyone know where those without the album or Spotify Premium can listen to The Globalist?  ???

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1098 on: June 11, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »
I think I'm alone in saying that Revolt is my favorite track on the album. I think it's really catchy
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2015, 01:21:16 AM »
Track by track thing? Ye

Dead Inside: at first listen I was disappointed. Then things happened in my life, and I started enjoying this song more and more, and now the last chorus always sends shivers.
Psycho: badass tune, would've loved it more if it was shorter. It works very well live.
Mercy: top notch. It's like a better version of Starlight. I love all the vocal lines and the chorus is incredible and epic.
Reapers: best Muse song since Knights Of Cydonia? I think so. Everything is memorable and catchy about this heavy piece. From the guitar solo to the insane outro and those lyrics.
The Handler: love the groove. I just don't quite get all the praise it gets, but hey to each his own. The climax is also great, and when it jumps back into the main riff, I always  :metal
Defector: The riff is gold, but the song does kinda sound repetitive. I love those Queen vocals though, and the solo. Lyrics are puke.
Revolt: This was an unexpected pop song. I like it, the chorus is cheesy on purpose I suppose. If you don't take this song too seriously you might like it.
Aftermath: I'm in love. The guitar tone reminds me of Pink Floyd/Dire Straits, and everything is just so lovely and calm.
The Globalist: wow. On the first listen I was a bit disappointed because the heavy part is fairly short, but man this is great. Love the intro, and the transition from "I have given you the code" to that beast riff. The last part is a bit less great than what came before, but it has a great vibe nonetheless. Cool story.
Drones: well, this is an a cappella tune. Nothing more to say about it, it sounds both creepy and ethereal. Cool unexpected finale for the album.

Ratings ye?

1. Reapers
2. Aftermath
3. Mercy
4. The Globalist
5. The Handler
-
6. Revolt
7. Defector
8. Psycho
9. Dead Inside
10. Drones

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1100 on: June 12, 2015, 02:05:16 AM »
I am surprised to see very little discussion about The Globalist.  This being DTF, I would think everyone would be wanting to talk about them doing a rare 10-minute song. :lol :lol

I am still trying to figure out what I think of it.  I think every section is damn good, but it seems like a mash-up of separate sections shoehorned into one song (which some would say is prog  :lol :lol).  The rocking section about halfway in is pretty awesome, especially with those background vocals, but just when it is really kicking in full force, it suddenly ends and segue ways abruptly into that mellow section that ends the song, which is gorgeous, but the overall flow of the song just seems a bit choppy.  That is my impression of it after several listens.  I am sure I will grow to really like it and look back on this post and think WTF. :facepalm:
It's around middle of the pack for me. Very solid, but not amazing.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on it - first two thirds of the song are really great - nice atmospheric intro, kicking into really great rocking section in the middle.

The final third is a very nice Nimrod (Enigma Variations) adaptation, which continues a trend that they've used since OOS at least, but I have to admit that as nice as those sections are, I'm not desperately keen when they're that obvious.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1101 on: June 12, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Man oh man, Reapers is gonna absolutely slay live, especially that outro. :metal :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1102 on: June 12, 2015, 04:51:22 PM »
I've had a few listens, and I quite like the album. It's not going to be my absolute favourite, but it sits at Number 3 quite comfortably, just behind Origin and Second Law and before Black Holes and Absolution.

Psycho remains my least favourite track, it's pretty generic and very little to like. In general, I feel that the three first songs released didn't really do the album justice - especially the second half of the album with Reapers (holy shit that outro), The Handler (that bassline is so awesome), Aftermath and The Globalist is really really good.

Not quite sure what to think of the title track - I don't like it much, but I absolutely hated it on the first listen, so signs are pointing toward a grower - we'll see how it develops.

All in all, I am very happy with this album. Not quite a masterpiece, but definitely worthy addition to their catalogue.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1103 on: June 12, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »
So where does Drones rank in their discography for everyone?

I would say:
1. The Resistance
2. Origin Of Symmetry
3. Drones
4. The 2nd Law
5. Black Holes & Revelations
6. Absolution
7. Showbiz

But I still have yet to hear The Globalist so that position may or may not change...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:03:09 PM by The Cat Of Tuscany »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1104 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
1. Origin
2. The Second Law
3. Drones
4. Black Holes
5. Absolution
6. The Resistance

Haven't heard Showbiz yet. Come to think of it, I should probably get onto that some time soon.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1105 on: June 12, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
1. Origin of Symmetry

2.Absolution
3. BH&R/Showbiz

4. The 2nd Law

5. The Resistance

Quite enjoying the new album actually - certainly way more than their last 2 efforts. Still need some time to properly digest it, but there's a lot of potential in there. I guess it'll fit in just behind BH&R and Showbiz.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: June 12, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
I am going to fall in love with this album very, very quickly. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1107 on: June 13, 2015, 01:20:10 AM »
1. Absolution
2. The Resistance
3. Black Holes
4. Origin Of Symmetry
5. Drones
6. 2nd Law
7. Showbiz

So yeah, bottom tier but those are all amazing albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: June 13, 2015, 04:37:17 AM »
OK so since my post on the album I squeezed in another two listens and I now love the title track. Perfect closer to a really strong album. Probably not my favourite of the year, but definitely Top 5 - so far, at least.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1109 on: June 13, 2015, 05:15:02 AM »
Man I'm late in picking this up.  I need to get it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1110 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »
So where does Drones rank in their discography for everyone?

Current ranking is:

1. Black Holes
2. Origin of Symmetry
3. Absolution
4. 2nd Law
5. The Resistance
6. Showbiz

No way it will catch the top 3.  Early listens say it will probably duke it out with the Resistance for 5th place, but you never know.  It's still early.

For me, Black Holes and Origin are basically 1a and 1b; both are flawless. 

Absolution is nearly flawless, but has a couple songs I consider just average.

2nd Law was a major grower for me; I love it now.

The Resistance is good, but not great.

Showbiz has a handful of songs I like, but the rest is, for me, forgettable.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1111 on: June 13, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
1. Absolution
2. The Resistance
3. Black Holes
4. Origin Of Symmetry
5. Drones
6. 2nd Law
7. Showbiz

So yeah, bottom tier but those are all amazing albums.

My ranking of Muse albums is this exactly. Drones is currently at 5, but time will tell whether it moves up or down.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1112 on: June 14, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
So, these guys just played Dead Star, Micro Cuts, Citizen Erased and Agitated last night at Download. Also, The Handler live first time ever.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: June 14, 2015, 01:30:34 AM »
No way it will catch the top 3. 

I actually think it might for me.  I never thought I would say that about a new Muse album - Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and Black Holes and Revelations are some of my favorite albums of all time - but I am really loving Drones.  Of course, it's too soon to tell, and I don't know if I'll end up liking it as much as the big three.  But for the time being, I would at least put it up with them in that higher tier.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1114 on: June 16, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
I can't stop listening to this amazing album. My favorite tracks are: Mercy, Defector, The Globalist and Drones.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1115 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:43 AM »
The Globalist grew on me immensely, that build up in the middle is insane, especially the section starting at 6:13. The ballad sections are beautiful, and the only slightly flawed bit is the whistling, but it's still fine.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1116 on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
right now my favorites are Reapers and Revolt, personally. Don't like Psycho (who does) and The Globalist is probably second least favorite rn, it's not a cohesive song in the slightest

I like this way more than their last two albums already though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1117 on: June 17, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »
I like Psycho a lot, really fun song.

Whereas Revolt is probably my least favourite.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1118 on: June 17, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
Revolt seems to be getting a lot of dislike by fans, but I like it.  It's not a favorite, but I like it. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1119 on: June 17, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
I don't understand why Revolt would be getting dislike it's great what