Author Topic: 2010-06-21 - Portland, OR (DT headlining show)  (Read 11801 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2010-06-21 - Portland, OR (DT headlining show)
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »

BUT if they don't, I'll just enjoy what I get. I mean, its fucking Dream Theater  :metal :metal :metal

Now there you go!!

Seriously Shad, it is true that all setlists are NOT created equal in DT land. But seeing them in two completely different settings, in a club, and then on a big stage, in daylight for half the set, will surely make up for any repetition in song choice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DJR5150

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Awesome, awesome show. :tup Great to finally see them again after not coming to Portland since '04. I figured they'd open with Nightmare but it was a great way to kick off the show. A highlight was Hollow Years, JP's solo was amazing as usual. Also good to hear The Mirror followed by Lie. Home kicked ass. I liked the Pull Me Under/Metropolis medley. Jordan's keytar battle with JP was badass and they looked like they were having a lot of fun with it. The highlight for me was probably TCOT for the encore because that's my favorite song on the latest album. It sounded so good live. All in all, it was everything I expected from them. They have so much great music that it's hard to include everything that everyone wants to hear. I'm grateful that they made the effort to hit Portland because we're not on the Iron Maiden tour. Just to see them again after all this time was worth it. Hopefully the great response they got will mean they'll come back sooner next time. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
TAC, how many band in our lifetime did we see that NEVER rotated songs and even if it was 8 months later it was the same show.  That's why I'm never let down with DT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
TAC, how many band in our lifetime did we see that NEVER rotated songs and even if it was 8 months later it was the same show.  That's why I'm never let down with DT.

NEVER. I even saw Metallica 5 times on the Justice tour, and even the so called "improv" bits like playing the begining of La Bamba were staged.

The other thing King, is the whole internet thing. Like, back in the day,  if you saw Maiden in Providence, and then they played the same set in Worcester a couple of nights later, it was still cool, because at least you were surprised at what you heard the first time. Now, when we know a band's setlist 6 weeks before they make it to our town, we find it monotonous, when in reality, nothing's changed.

The rotating setlist thing is a brilliant move. It keeps people who aren't even goiung to the shows interested, and also makes grabbing bootlegs that much more interesting.  MP really puts his money where his mouth is. A lot of musicians say that they grew up as fans....MP PROVES that he did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »
Amen TAC. Mike is a fan and treats us with rotating songs, bonus disks, cover songs, meet and greets, DVD's with a boat load of extras...........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
Man, I really feel like a spoiled child not getting what he wants for the first time in his life  :lol
You guys really put it in perspective.

MP really is the band's #1 fan.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
I think you, Lat, and I are the only people from DTF who live in the Northwest. I'm not sure if he's going or not though.
If I could afford it, I would so fucking be there. But alas, it just can't happen.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
Maybe Cool Chris oir someone that went can answer... What was the start/end time for DT? Was it treated as a club show (over real late), or a regular concert where they're done no later than 11?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
Didn't really keep track of time, but I would say Presto Ballet played approx 7:30-8:10, and DT played approx 8:45-10:45.

As awesome as the DT/Maiden show was last night, I might rank this show a little higher. The WR Amphitheater is a great place for a show, but something about seeing DT do two hours in a small club was magical. Everyone was in top form, and they were able to work in a few little improv moments that the Maiden show time restraints won't allow for.

I'll also say again Presto Ballet was a great opener. I hope the other openers are as solid.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2010, 11:28:44 AM »
Thanks Chris! Hopefully the Worcester show gets out at that time as well!

As awesome as the DT/Maiden show was last night, I might rank this show a little higher. The WR Amphitheater is a great place for a show, but something about seeing DT do two hours in a small club was magical. Everyone was in top form, and they were able to work in a few little improv moments that the Maiden show time restraints won't allow for.

I hear ya! I am using this very sentiment to help me rationalize not seeing Iron Maiden this summer.  :lol

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
Didn't really keep track of time, but I would say Presto Ballet played approx 7:30-8:10, and DT played approx 8:45-10:45.
DT set was 2:15:17 from the start of Psycho to goodnight

Offline -Sharp-Shooter-

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
OK guys I need your help! What is the name of the intro song that they play through the speakers before they come on stage? It's so cool and was wondering if anybody has a download for it.

Anyways the Portland show was 100x better than the Maiden show. The crowd was going crazy where as at the Maiden show there were hardly any DT fans there. The crowd for Maiden was bullcrap. I was front row and smashed into the barricade the whole 2 hour setlist along with some crazy guy going berserk next to me. I didn't really get to see much and enjoy much because of this. The stage/light setup was really cool though. I also didn't like how at the white river the stage is raised up. The stage was taller than me and I had a hard time seeing.

Anyways I was literally 2 feet away from Petrucci a lot of times and got TONS of close up pictures.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

2:15 is a pretty solid set!

Hopefully the fact that you have that is a good sign that we may get a live set in some format! Do me a favor..make it the Worcester show! :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
OK guys I need your help! What is the name of the intro song that they play through the speakers before they come on stage? It's so cool and was wondering if anybody has a download for it.

It's the theme song from the film Psycho

Anyways the Portland show was 100x better than the Maiden show. The crowd was going crazy where as at the Maiden show there were hardly any DT fans there. The crowd for Maiden was bullcrap. I was front row and smashed into the barricade the whole 2 hour setlist along with some crazy guy going berserk next to me. I didn't really get to see much and enjoy much because of this. The stage/light setup was really cool though. I also didn't like how at the white river the stage is raised up. The stage was taller than me and I had a hard time seeing.

I thought the crowd in the pit responded to DT pretty favorably, not sure about the rest of the crowd. On the bus ride in I heard the usual comments ("they play really long boring songs ...").

I was about 15 feet back from the stage, which worked out just fine for me. No pushing and shoving, except for when Bruce through his beanie cap which landed a few feet behind me. Thought a war was going to break out over that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »

2:15 is a pretty solid set!

Hopefully the fact that you have that is a good sign that we may get a live set in some format! Do me a favor..make it the Worcester show! :lol
Normally there would be a good chance of making the east coast swing as well. Usual is 3 to 6 west coast and 3 to 6 east coast . In this case I'm not really interested in Maiden and flying cross country for one show that I know the setlist. 4 or 5 shows, that's completely different.
btw at some point in some form you can be sure the Portland show will turn up.  ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
at some point in some form you can be sure the Portland show will turn up.  ;)
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:49 AM »

btw at some point in some form you can be sure the Portland show will turn up.  ;)

NICE! Hopefully it's a Ytsejam or Fan Club..and not a GDT.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2010, 07:28:10 AM »

You FAIL.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
Ouch Scotty! Now THAT'S cruel!

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »

What's wrong with GDT? They're a good group

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2010, 08:58:25 AM »
Ouch Scotty! Now THAT'S cruel!

Nah - what you said was cruel. I concur with Bob.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
Easy guys, I have no issue with GDT!!!  :)