43 (62.3%)
Signals/Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows/Hold Your Fire
17 (24.6%)
Presto/Roll the Bones/Counterparts/Test for Echo
3 (4.3%)
Vapor Trails/Snakes and Arrows/Clockwork Angels
4 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Favorite Rush Era Poll  (Read 1393 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Favorite Rush Era Poll
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2023, 09:15:59 PM »
I wonder how different the poll would be if Moving Pictures was moved into "the synth sector".  To me there's a bigger change in sound between Permanent Waves and MP than there is between MP and Signals.  Those early-mid 80s albums are my favorite of theirs though.  Geddy's voice becomes less abrasive, and his synth work is fantastic.

I think this was discussed pretty extensively in the Rush thread a while back.  To me, Signals has FAR more connection with MP and PEW than it has with GUP through HYF.  There is, IMO, a clear distinction between PEW and MP and ATFK/Hemispheres, and Signals is a continuation of the progression from PEW into MP.  The shift from Signals to GUP, however, is manifest.  Not only is that when the split with Terry Brown took place, you have Geddy abandoning the Rick and Jazz basses for the (god-awful) Steinberger.  Neil introduced the electronic drums into his repertoire, and Alex's guitars, while more prominent on GUP than on Signals, lacked any semblence of the hard rock/metal edge that he had before (even on some songs on Signals).  That's why I don't consider Signals to be part of the "synth era."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2023, 09:22:55 PM »
I wonder how different the poll would be if Moving Pictures was moved into "the synth sector".  To me there's a bigger change in sound between Permanent Waves and MP than there is between MP and Signals.  Those early-mid 80s albums are my favorite of theirs though.  Geddy's voice becomes less abrasive, and his synth work is fantastic.

I think this was discussed pretty extensively in the Rush thread a while back.  To me, Signals has FAR more connection with MP and PEW than it has with GUP through HYF.  There is, IMO, a clear distinction between PEW and MP and ATFK/Hemispheres, and Signals is a continuation of the progression from PEW into MP.  The shift from Signals to GUP, however, is manifest.  Not only is that when the split with Terry Brown took place, you have Geddy abandoning the Rick and Jazz basses for the (god-awful) Steinberger.  Neil introduced the electronic drums into his repertoire, and Alex's guitars, while more prominent on GUP than on Signals, lacked any semblence of the hard rock/metal edge that he had before (even on some songs on Signals).  That's why I don't consider Signals to be part of the "synth era."

I seem to vaguely remember a poll (either started by me or one I suggested) in the past where the Rush albums were grouped into threes, so PEW/MP/SIG were the third option in the poll, and it was the lead by far, though 2112/AFTK/HEMI was not far behind.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2023, 09:55:36 PM »
Yeah, this happens with every band with a large enough discography and shifts in sound over time.  Depending upon what you focus on, you can group albums differently with disagreement over what the break points should be.  I'm partially biased because MP was my first, and I always gravitated towards the albums soon after it more than the ones before, so that baked in my era split for them. 

I should finish reading the album countdown thread, coming in the middle of my roulette made me unable to participate or keep up with it. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:00:40 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2023, 02:57:25 AM »

These are the albums I listen to the most in the recent years, to be completely honest. Even Hold Your Fire gets better as time goes by.

Pretty much all of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2023, 02:30:52 AM »
I voted sector 2 because MP and PW are my favorite albums, but sector 3 is really strong too. Could have easily voted for that one since those 4 albums are all amazing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2023, 04:00:58 AM »

These are the albums I listen to the most in the recent years, to be completely honest. Even Hold Your Fire gets better as time goes by.

Pretty much all of this.

Third.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
I love the Farewell... to MP era, it's all perfect, but I voted in the keyboards era. It just happens I like even more that era, even recognizing some flaws on it. The overall atmosphere of those albums is really special.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2023, 08:23:29 AM »
Voted the second era, although the third is very close behind it. Never been a huge fan of AFtK, so it pulls it down a bit.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »
I'll say it, I don't give a fuck.

The Presto run.  I love all that stuff.

My favorite album, though, is Hemispheres.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
Sector 2 no brainer.  But ALL Rush is awesome!  The best band of all-time! Lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2023, 11:18:15 AM »
I went for the synth era grouping, but honestly, my favorite run of theirs is Permanent Waves through Presto. There's so much consistent greatness in their 80s output!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2023, 11:23:03 AM »
Well, AFTK is my #3 album of all time; MP is by 8th.  So yeah... that run
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2023, 02:17:03 PM »
All of it except for maybe 10 songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »
Any era with Subdivisions and Power Windows.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2023, 08:11:48 PM »
But you were one of the ones to vote for the final era, right John?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2023, 04:35:33 PM »

Ha! Ha!  Didn't vote. Was leaning that way but I never want to limit myself especially when it comes to this band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2023, 04:37:13 PM »

Ha! Ha!  Didn't vote. Was leaning that way but I never want to limit myself especially when it comes to this band.

Vote!! It's just for fun. It doesn't lock you in for life!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »

Vote!! It's just for fun. It doesn't lock you in for life!! :lol

Voted with that disclaimer.

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
My favorites are Moving Pictures, Signals and Power Windows.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2023, 05:39:27 PM »

So you voted for Sector 3 then? How do you feel about the other half of that group - GUP and HYF?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2023, 06:47:37 PM »

So you voted for Sector 3 then? How do you feel about the other half of that group - GUP and HYF?

-Marc.

Yeah I voted for Sector 3. Grace Under Pressure is fine. Has some great moments like Afterimage, Red Sector A (love NP work) and Between The Wheels.
As for Hold Your Fire, I guess I never gave it a proper listen. I should hear it more often to give my final verdict.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2023, 04:34:21 AM »

Pretty much all of this.

I also agree and more: I never quite understood people absolutely loving PoW and considering HYF a weak album at same time. Personally I think they are very similar in style and quality. But I get that people consider PoW superior to HYF, but not miles ahead.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online HOF

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2023, 06:57:14 AM »
I really do enjoy Hold Your Fire (has three of my favorite Rush songs on it), but apart from it sort being an rehash of the sound of Power Windows (which is fine, it sound great but isn’t quite as good at it IMO), it has a few tracks that are just clunkers, where Power Windows is perfect front to back.