Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104911 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Is that the Bonnie Raitt Strat he's playing on those?

Yeah, he loves that Strat on that song.  Some interesting notes on this song:  Dave started extending and improvising the solo when he incorporated this song into the sets with his solo band in the early 2000's.  After Nyman joined the reunited Y&T in 2003 or so, they extended it into the full-blown duel tradeoff solo you see in those (although poor Nymann never seems to get much camera time when he picks up the second part of the solo).  Another interesting trend that developed with the song when it is played in N.Cal. (don't know if it has caught on elsewhere)...There is a group of girls that typically get right down in front, center stage, at most of the shows.  I know most of them.  Anyhow, at one show (I think it was Dave's 50th birthday bash, but it might have been a different one), one of the girls began passing out blow pops at the beginning of the song, and the girls would...um...get a bit suggestive with them during the song.  If you notice Dave looking down in the front of the audience and almost laughing during some clips of that song, that may be why.  It's now firmly established Y&T tradition.
:sucka:

EDIT:  Actually, I just noticed, you can see someone hold one up at 4 seconds in on the second video.  She holds it up for a few seconds, then it disappears, and then she waives it around for the rest of the intro.  :lol  I'm guessing there were more off on the right side judging from Phil laughing.  EDIT2:  Yup.  You can see another one on the far right at 4:40 when Nymann starts his solo.  :lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:28:08 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
Thirsty Thursday is here again!  Much drinking shall be undertaken tonight.

Here is my all-time favorite Joe Satriani song.  "Crushing Day" from Surfing with the Alien.  Ass-kicking rhythm, very memorable melody, and absolutely unbelievable soloing.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbTYs-ajHUk

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »

Here is my all-time favorite Joe Satriani song.  "Crushing Day" from Surfing with the Alien.  Ass-kicking rhythm, very memorable melody, and absolutely unbelievable soloing.  Enjoy!

I havn't played that album in at least 10 =+ years. Wow!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:38 AM »
WhiteSnake - Live in The Shadow of the Blue

good stuff!!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
Damn, that looks like an excellent live album.  May have to look into getting it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
While I'm at it here's another excellent tune - "Drinking Again", by the band Neverland.  This song was on one of the all-time awesome soundtracks, "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey".  The band recorded one (mediocre) album and disappeared, but this song is the standout on the album.  Even on the soundtrack, amid the likes of Kiss, Megadeth, King's X, and others, this song held its own quite well.  Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPA-mIBbjfg

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »
While I'm at it here's another excellent tune - "Drinking Again", by the band Neverland.  This song was on one of the all-time awesome soundtracks, "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey".  The band recorded one (mediocre) album and disappeared, but this song is the standout on the album.  Even on the soundtrack, amid the likes of Kiss, Megadeth, King's X, and others, this song held its own quite well.  Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPA-mIBbjfg

I'll have to pull the CD out Cosmo, I remember I got it for Winger, Battlestations.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
Battle Stations was AWESOME!  The only song on that album I didn't care for was Richie Kotzen's "Dream of a New Day", but even then, it wasn't bad.  One of the most unbelievable soundtracks I've ever seen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: May 01, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
How about some Aldo Nova. Monkey On Your Back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs6iMer68co

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »
Anybody into John butcher or when it was John butcher Axis?  Here's Goodbye Gaving Grace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPfsRmPmuE&feature=related

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »
I know this is already in the Y&T thread, but I have to post it here as well.  Brand, spankin' new Y&T song and video, and it absolutely delivers:  https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139544

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Mega bump

So while at the M3 Rock Fest last weekend, we got to check out a band that an old friend of mine has been telling me about for a LONG time, called ZO2.  I never really checked them out, because I'm usually a bit stubborn about checking out anything new.  My friend knows these guys and kinda works with them on the side a little, so I thought "Okay, it's really important to him that I check these guys out, so why not?"  Am I ever glad I did.  A 3-piece band, these guys totally deliver.  They pulled off a great cover of Tom Sawyer in the midst of the set, which was quite cool as well.  They played a few tunes off their new album and plenty off the other couple of albums.  So they're not really NEW to the music scene, but just haven't broken big yet.

So anyway, I had a copy of their first album that this friend had given me years ago, that I just never got around to listening to.  So I dug it out and listened to it and totally love it.  Here's one off that album, Tuesdays and Thursdays, called "Paper Breakup".  I love the vocal harmonies.  Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGg22B3PppM

Note - Slightly maybe questionable for work graphic in the video player.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:54:08 PM by GuitarCozmo »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
Cozmo, I checked them out from the chat thread and I too loved the harmonies. I liked the good feeling vibe I got from the songs.  I never heard of them till you linked it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
Very cool.  I've noticed that there are a lot of videos of them doing cover songs on YouTube, but also a lot of their originals.  I'm always impressed at the very cool harmonies.  Red Line Highway is a good one from the new album.  From Tuesdays and Thursdays, a couple of other good ones are "Radio" and "Fly on Your Wings".

Radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGKGoyy2olA

Fly on Your Wings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob5f0Z7Zxfc

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Anybody into John butcher or when it was John butcher Axis?  Here's Goodbye Gaving Grace.

I saw The John Butcher Axis at The Living Room in Providence around 1989. Might be the drunkest I ever was at a concert! :lol
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:36:59 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
More Y&T from a festival show in Europe where they unleashed on of the more rockin' tunes off the new album:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30SqnU4ALc&feature=related 

Terrific performance, and the solo at 2:24 is just...    :eek

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
Anybody into John butcher or when it was John butcher Axis?  Here's Goodbye Gaving Grace.

I saw The John Butcher Axis at The Living Room in Providence around 1989. Might be the drunkest I ever was at a concert! :lol

I saw him in 1983 playing at a football field in Lawrence Mass.  I was 15 and my mom & dad picked me up after it was over. :blush

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
More Y&T from a festival show in Europe where they unleashed on of the more rockin' tunes off the new album:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30SqnU4ALc&feature=related 

Terrific performance, and the solo at 2:24 is just...    :eek

Damn.  Very nice.  Solo was great.  Loved the dual harmony bit.  Pretty cool tune.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #298 on: November 05, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Okay, so Mrs. Cozmo showed me a video yesterday from a band I'd never heard of, called Sons of Angels.  The song is called "Cowgirl".  I'd never heard this song before and Mrs. C was incredulous.  I was impressed that she knew Headbanger's Ball-worthy music that I didn't know.  I pointed out that bands like this came around when Nirvana and Pearl Jam were coming onto the scene and were likely very short lived.  I didn't start getting into good music of the like, until the late 90's.  It's easy to see how one-album bands could've potentially slipped through the cracks for me - bands like Roxy Blue, for example.  ANYWAY, here's Sons of Angels - "Cowgirl".  Let me know if any of you recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUnsW8ejl0

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:51 AM »
Excellent find - Talas on a Buffalo Entertainment TV show, from 1979.  Amazing footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSvnamksy48

Offline jsem

« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
Excellent find - Talas on a Buffalo Entertainment TV show, from 1979.  Amazing footage.

Talas! Pwnage band

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
Loved them.  "The Talas Years" was the first album I had, which was "Sink Your Teeth Into That" and "Live Speed on Ice" on the same disc.  Then I later started to find their old stuff and totally loved it.

I played at a placein Rochester, NY called The Penny Arcade.  There's an original Talas 8x10 in there amongst a ton of others.  I actually took a picture of it, I was so beside myself.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »

Talk about a flashback.  I haven't listened to Talas in about 20 years.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:32 AM »
They did several reunion shows in the late 90's, one that they released on a CD called "If Only We Knew Then What we Know Now".  The set list (on the CD, anyway) was:

1. Sink Your Teeth into That
2. High Speed on Ice
3. Expert on Me
4. Never See Me Cryn
5. Power to Break Away
6. Thick Head
7. Tell Me True
8. You
9. Most People
10. Any Other Day
11. King of the World
12. Shy Boy
13. 21st Century Schizoid Man
14. See Saw
15. Battle Scar

I also have a live DVD of a show they did in Buffalo in the late 90's.  Excellent set, they closed the set with I'm Your Captain and Helter Skelter.  Fantastic.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »

that is my favorite as well....and my most listened to album of all time......strangely for me...even though the songs are so simple, it's like reading the Lord of the Rings, every time I put that disc on, I discover something new..some new nuance or pattern or inflection.

(listen to be with the big musik werds)

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
Undoubtedly.  There's always some little nuance that you pick up each time.  Fortunately for me, I have the tablature book for that album, so I can "see" all the little things going on all over the place.  Extremely cool.

After having heard that Ice Nine was inspired by Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle", I picked up a copy.  Damn cool story (bro).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »
It's been too long since this thread has been bumped.  It must be the time of year or something, since I'm feeling an obligation to make my annual (or so) Badlands recommendation.  I give you Healer.  Great tune.  Coz, I think you will like.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
A pretty decent tune.  Not quite as on par with their earlier stuff, but not bad.  Gillen was a great singer.  Too bad about all the shit that apparently went down with those guys.

Another favorite of mine that I (surprisingly) haven't posted here:  Danger Danger's "Bang Bang"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jAUBRMdLI4

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #308 on: January 25, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
What I really like about that third album is that it is really gritty and unpolished, which gives it a dark, raw vibe.  Part of the reason for that is that the tracks weren't really "finished."  They were good demos, and not much more.  But they captured a very good band in a very dark part of their history, with their label support and cohesiveness as a band evaporating and their lead singer dying.  Pretty powerful stuff.

I'll check out the Danger Danger song.  I know I know that tune, but I can't remember how it goes.  But I've got Babylon AD's Bang Go The Bells going in my head right now as result. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:50 AM »
Yeah, that would undoubtedly make for a much darker sounding bunch of tunes.  Damn.  I'll have to check out some of the other tunes from that album.

I know the song you're referring to.  Also a good tune.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:24 AM »
I think you might have been the one who first sent me a YouTube link to that song back when I mentioned that I work with Dan De La Rosa's wife and that they live up the hill from me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
Doesn't sound familiar, considering I don't know who that is.  ???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
Oh.  :lol  (one of Bab. AD's guitarists)  Must have been someone else then.

Speaking of other songs from the album...just found this:  Lord Knows.  One of the most emotional tracks on Dusk.  I didn't realize it had been written so early or that it had actually been performed way back in '89.  This is a GREAT performance.  

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
Funny, because I tried to look the guy up and was confused as to why I wasn't finding him in any band articles on wikipedia.  Then I realized I was looking up Bang Tango, not Babylon A.D.  :lol

Damn.  That was excellent!!  Great vocals and the guitar solo?  Wow.  Superb.  JEL has a really SRV-ish kinda tone going there and I LOVE it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »

great minds
also my favorite sach tune...I just wish I could play the guitar so I could play this song...

Happy Lives to you all.