Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104957 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »
I think the timing is right to recommend Mean Streak, by Y&T.  A classic in every sense of the world.  (and Jeff Scott Soto can't sing it)

*falls asleep*
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
:lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
Having been reminded of this thread, I offer Gypsy Road, by Cinderella.  This is one of the bands that I'll be seeing at the M3 Rock Fest.  It's going to be killer.  Tom Keifer is a great singer, but (unbeknownst to most) a really fantastic guitarist as well.  Gypsy Road is unquestionably my favorite Cinderella song.  It's a fun, drivin' to the beach with the top down kinda song.  My former band used to do this song and it was one of the highlights of the night for me.  Crank the speakers and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7E7pvLxmI

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »
I always wanted to play some Cinderalla tunes, but could never find anyone (myself included) willing to tackle the vocals. 

Yeah, one of my all-time favorite bands from that period.  I always irked me to no end that they always seemed to take second fiddle to Poison, who were FAR less talented in terms of both musical and songwriting ability. 

Long, Cold Winter has got to be one of the most solid albums in the genre.  Not really a weak song on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
I gave Gypsy Road and Shake Me my best efforts.  I actually didn't do too bad on Gypsy Road.  Shake Me was a little more difficult.  But yeah, definitely a great band and a great album.  Quite different from what Poison was doing no doubt.  It's almost like you were able to take Cinderella a little more seriously then Poison.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »
It's not that Long Cold Winter was bad, but it wasn't what I was into at the time. But as far as their first album, I actually liked it a lot, the front cover not withstanding...
I loved Once Around The Ride and Push Push.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
Also, Heartbreak Station just might be my favorite hair metal power ballad.  My old singer and I used to do that one acoustic all the time at gigs and I absolutely loved it.  Killer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
It's almost like you were able to take Cinderella a little more seriously then Poison.

This, but without the word "almost."  :biggrin:  Hard to believe I have never seen them in concert.  

And  :tup for Heartbreak Station.  ...well, at least the song.  The album I thought was hit and miss.  I love the first two albums.  After that, their output was still very good, but I liked their earlier stuff better.  I know the later material arguably made more "artistic integrity" because they had, through their success, earned the right to make the music they wanted to make without as much oversight and input by the label.  But while I enjoy blues-based rock, I just didn't enjoy the particular way they incorporated blues, R&B, and funk into their music on the later albums.  There was almost more of that than there was "rock" in the later material, if that makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
I see what you mean.  Honestly, I don't have any of their later albums, so I wouldn't know.  :lol

I saw them in 98 at the Odeon in Cleveland.  They opened with "The More Things Change".  Very cool.

I'm seeing them at M3 this summer also.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
Cinderella one only of of 2 hair metal bands with a blues feel to them.  I'd say Great white also.  I can't think of another 80's hair metal band like them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Whitesnake also comes to mind as a true blues-rock and hair metal band.  Tons of others were blues-influenced, but as far as really having blues at the core of their sound, Whitesnake should jump right to the forefront. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »
Agreed.  Another thing I like about Great White is when I heard them doing the cover of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".  I heard it on the radio and thought "Wow, this must be some old Zeppelin live performance I hadn't heard before."  No, it was Great White.  I was blown away at his ability to cop Plant's vocals.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
Whitesnake also comes to mind as a true blues-rock and hair metal band.  Tons of others were blues-influenced, but as far as really having blues at the core of their sound, Whitesnake should jump right to the forefront.  

I forgot about Whitesnake. :facepalm:  Though less so when Vai came in the band.   Blue Murder, Jelly Roll comes to mind.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:26:07 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Agreed.  Another thing I like about Great White is when I heard them doing the cover of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".  I heard it on the radio and thought "Wow, this must be some old Zeppelin live performance I hadn't heard before."  No, it was Great White.  I was blown away at his ability to cop Plant's vocals.
Great White certainly had their moments. Save Your Love was a great song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »

They had that Zep thing down. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOV7kAGt1vs

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Whitesnake also comes to mind as a true blues-rock and hair metal band.  Tons of others were blues-influenced, but as far as really having blues at the core of their sound, Whitesnake should jump right to the forefront.  

I forgot about Whitesnake. :facepalm:  Though less so when Vai came in the band.   Blue Murder, Jelly Roll comes to mind.

Yeah, definitely less when Vai was onboard.  I didn't mention Blue Murder (or other spinoff bands or "supergroups" like Badlands, for example) simply because Sykes came from Whitesnake where he had already been doing blues-rock/glam, and just basically continued doing the same thing (which I am not saying is a negative.  I like them/him a lot.  Just sayin' he continued in the style he had already been doing).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:14 PM »
Bosk, if you like John Sykes, you have to get Thin Lizzy's Thunder & Lightning. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. Either that, or get the Live on the BBC live album, which is their legendary final show at Reading 1983.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
I've been meaning to for quite some time.  I never really got into TL in the early days, but Sykes did a few TL tunes on Blue Murder's live Screamin' Blue Murder disk as a tribute to Phil, and I really dug them.  I like a lot of what Sykes as done.  I hated Nuclear Cowboy, but the rest of his albums that I have heard have been pretty good.  They guy definitely has his own very recognizable style, and his vibrato is just ridiculous.  I've never figured out how he could bent his high E into the next zipcode and back so slowly and methodically and both have it sound great and not break the string.  :lol  Too bad Viv got the Def Lep gig instead of Sykes.  I'm sure Sykes would have been more outspoken about keeping the rock elements still in the band (which is probably why he didn't get the job).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
Is it true that Sykes was up for it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
That's my understanding. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09:34 PM »
Well that's interesting. He made a great album with Whitesnake. You know, Vivian was so great with Dio...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
You know, Vivian was so great with Dio...

Yes, and ironically (at least in the context of this conversation), he was also great with Whitesnake.

You know, he definitely can still play.  He does some really nice guitar work with Lep, but it's much more understated and subtle since it's not the same kinds of in-your-face riffage and pyrotechnic soloing that he did with Dio and 'Snake.  My beef isn't at all with the quality of his playing.  It's just that Lep has opted to go almost entirely pop-rock, and Viv is perfectly content with that direction.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
Bosk, I decided to youtube some Badlands. I remember being very unimpressed with their album (I've told you that before), but I'm willing to go back and give it a shot, so I may pick it up if the opportunity arises.
Anyway, I found this online. It's pretty good. I don't recognize the bassist, I see Tommy Aldridge on drums, but look who's playing keys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmCHAFSyjo

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
Bosk, I decided to youtube some Badlands. I remember being very unimpressed with their album (I've told you that before), but I'm willing to go back and give it a shot, so I may pick it up if the opportunity arises.
Anyway, I found this online. It's pretty good. I don't recognize the bassist, I see Tommy Aldridge on drums, but look who's playing keys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmCHAFSyjo

Uh...the bass player is Marco Mendoza.  :lol  I'm at work and can't keep it up on screen long enough to get a good look at the keyboard player, since there don't seem to be any good shots of him.  But I guessed before I opened it that it would be Derek, and judging from the angle of the keyboard rig, I would guess I am right.  :lol  BTW, that looks professionally shot.  Is that from a DVD?  If so...DO WANT!!!

As for Badlands, I cannot recommend them enough.  Fantastic band!  I've seen lots of live clips that didn't impress me, but their studio work yeilded some of the best music in my entire CD collection.  First album was more hair metal.  Second and third were a bit bluesier and heavier.  This vid, from the second album, is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaEmAQS4fE

And, BTW, this is double appropriate for this thread, since I am recommending a band Cozmo would approve of, and the drummer in the video (and on that album) was also the singer in Racer X with Paul Gilbert.  Double Cozmo points FTW!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
Yeah it is Derek. Very cool video! I'm actually interested in it myself.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
You raise a good point.  with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0iCAa361o

I always pick out the little things about a song that give it that extra oomph.  One of the things I love about this song is that little "Meeeeean Streeeeeak" harmony in the chorus background.

I had that same lightning shirt back in the 80's  LOL
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:23:05 PM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaEmAQS4fE

And, BTW, this is double appropriate for this thread, since I am recommending a band Cozmo would approve of, and the drummer in the video (and on that album) was also the singer in Racer X with Paul Gilbert.  Double Cozmo points FTW!

Good call.  I hadn't heard this song, but it's very good.  JEL's solo starts out kinda laid back, but by the end, he's in full-on shred mode.  Damn!  And yes, Jeff Martin is an excellent drummer.  He played a lot on PG's first solo album and did all the drums on PG's live album, Beehive Live.

I remember an interview with Paul, I think, where he said Jeff is one of the loudest singers he's ever heard, because in the early days, they basically plugged his mic into a little guitar amp at practice, so he had to REALLY belt to be heard over everyone.  Here's their cover of "Godzilla" from the Superheroes album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5h8g-0Nazk

Another, and probably my favorite Racer X song (odd since it isn't as hair-raisingly metal as their earlier stuff), is "Bolt in my Heart" from the Technical Difficulties album.  That's Jeff Martin's motorcycle you hear at the beginning and end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2Kp-B50vU

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2010, 07:24:19 AM »
One thing about Jake on most of the Bandlands songs:  His playing is very...kinetic, for lack of a better term.  I don't know how to describe it, other than just to say there is a constant sense of "motion" in that his fingers are always moving.  He doesn't just keep repeating and playing the exact same chords or riffs over and over and he doesn't just hold chords and let them ring, but he's constantly throwing in little runs or playing around with the chords in such a way that he doesn't keep playing the same chord the same way each time.  Hard to explain beyond that, but with that description, listen back to the song and I think you'll see what I mean.

And Coz, how is it that you've never heard that song before?  I am shocked and disappointed.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Well, I don't have Voodoo Highway, but I'm pretty sure I should.  I have the first album and I need to dig that back out.  I do understand exactly what you mean about his playing.  Always doing some sort of thing that catches your attention and kinda keeps you hooked.  It's a tough thing to be able to pull off.  Not everybody can do that effectively, but he certainly does.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to start buying about 2-3 cds every payday or something.  Go back and buy up all these old albums that I've heard cuts off of, but never actually OWNED.  Like "Never Enough" by L.A. Guns.  I've heard the song, but never heard the album.  I'm sure there's great stuff on it.  My old singer is an L.A. Guns fan and urged me to check them out.  Or any number of other bands of the like.  Given how much I love this kind of music, I highly doubt I'd be disappointed.  I'm just lazy, I guess.  This of course includes the Y&T we spoke of and the Meniketti stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
If I didn't already have them, Voodoo Highway and Dusk would both definitely be on my "must buy" list.  Problem is, they're both out of print, so if you find them, you will likely pay and arm and a leg lining somebody's pockets other than the band.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2010, 08:09:45 AM »
(good stuff some Badlands talk -  not like that other thread I just posted in)

If you like Whitesnake, I can't see you can't like most of Jorne Lande's stuff. You should check out his Whitesnake live medley....amazing!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
Undoubtedly.  Those are a good place to start.  Also, here's some of the ones I'd likely grab:

L.A. Guns - Cocked and Loaded
Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
Cinderella - Night Songs and/or Long Cold Winter
Great White - Once Bitten
Warrant - DRFSR
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Tesla - Mechanical Resonance or Great Radio Controversy
Skid Row - Slave to the Grind
Slaughter - Stick it to Ya
Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

There are plenty of other artists I should be buying old albums of - Twisted Sister, old Crue, Faster Pussycat, Keel, Helix, Love/Hate, Pretty Boy Floyd, Britny Fox, Hanoi Rocks, Danger Danger, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, W.A.S.P., Kix (though Steve Whiteman really irks me), Fastway, Nelson, etc.  Any suggestions of albums or of better albums than what I've suggested are welcome.

I also wonder about old Scorpions, though not realy hair metal.  I know all the hits you hear on the radio, but have to wonder about all the deep cuts that nobody knows about, except fans.  I know nothing aside from what I've heard on the radio.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »
Whitesnake also comes to mind as a true blues-rock and hair metal band.  Tons of others were blues-influenced, but as far as really having blues at the core of their sound, Whitesnake should jump right to the forefront. 

I always found the Crue to be very bluesy at their core...only it was filtered through glam, sleaze, strippers and cocaine.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »
Scorpions are interesting if that's the route you want to go.  They have a few different hits packages that are good.  For the deep cuts, that's a different story.  The only albums I would be interested in for deep cuts would possibly be Lovedrive, Animal Mag, Blackout, Love At First Sting, Face The Heat, and Humanity, Hour 1.  Unless you are a big fan of the latter stuff, the deep cuts on the later albums after LAFS (other than Face The Heat and Humanity) aren't really worth it in terms of buying the whole album.  A lot of the older, hard core fans might recommend the earlier stuff.  I'm not as familiar with the early albums, but some fans swear by them.  If I were doing some limited Scorpions purchasing to try to get the best of their catalog, and didn't want to buy a bunch of albums, I would probably buy, in this order:  a hits package (Bad For Good is easy to find, and is okay; there's a much better one that I can't remember that name of, but it's a 2-disk set and has a BNL on the front cover whose naughty bits are covered with strategically-placed scorpions), followed by their two "classic era" live albums (World Wide Live and Live Bites), and then Humanity.  Yes, you're not getting many deep cuts off the classic albums and you're not getting anything really obscure, but you're getting a really good sampling of truly some of the best of their material over their entire history while only buying four albums.  (Note on the live albums, in the unlikely event you've never heard them at all:  They sound too good to be true.  Don't know if it bothers you if live albums are overdubbed and sound too perfect.  Then again, the Scorps are so polished and perfectionist live that maybe they just are that good.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »

I always found the Crue to be very bluesy at their core...only it was filtered through glam, sleaze, strippers and cocaine.

The big four?  :biggrin: