Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104850 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #560 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure I got one of their songs in a roulette once, so there's at least one other fan around here somewhere.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #561 on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Hmph.  Interesting.  I never would've imagined.  There's just something about Donnie Vie's voice that I dig.  Very strange, because at times, he almost has a John Lennon-ish quality to his voice, and I can't stand John Lennon's voice.  Somehow he takes that quality and makes it not so bad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: November 07, 2016, 09:16:45 AM »
Also, I'll readily admit that I'm probably the one and only fan of Enuff Z'Nuff on this board, and I'm okay with that.  :lol

Not a huge fan - had Animals...........on cassette as a kid and wasn't rapt in it , but later got Strength and enjoyed that more.  The World Is A gutter is a fave that I remember,.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #563 on: November 07, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
The first album is still my favorite.  Strength is pretty good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #564 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
Never did anything for me. I hated the singers voice too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #565 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »
Not my thing either.  But it's just so cool to see this thread resurrected that I don't even care.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #566 on: November 07, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
Also, I'll readily admit that I'm probably the one and only fan of Enuff Z'Nuff on this board, and I'm okay with that.  :lol

Shouldn't surprise anyone that there's two fans of that band here.   I don't have much - I think Strength and Paraphernalia - but I'm a sucker for that Cheap Trick pop-metal stuff, and Fly High Michelle just fits that bill perfectly.   And I too love Vie's singing. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #567 on: November 07, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »

I could probably say that about a lot of bands that I listen to as well, but yeah. I'm okay with that, too. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: November 07, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »
Never even gave Enuff znuff a chance. I mean WTF kind of name is that? Didn't they have a member named Joey Znuff or something like that? They came out when a whole group of GnR wannabes came out. I just looked at them pathetically.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #569 on: November 07, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »
Did you ever actually give them a listen?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #570 on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »

Shouldn't surprise anyone that there's two fans of that band here.   I don't have much - I think Strength and Paraphernalia - but I'm a sucker for that Cheap Trick pop-metal stuff, and Fly High Michelle just fits that bill perfectly.   And I too love Vie's singing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #571 on: November 08, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
Did you ever actually give them a listen?

No, but remember back in the day, there was no youtube or Spotify to sample stuff. You had to make a decision on word of mouth (which I didn't know anyone that was into them) or radio (which they weren't on). Maybe you might catch an opening band and get turned onto them. But sometimes all you have is a look at an album, picture, genre, band name, etc... and make a decision based on that. Nothing about Enuff znuff even remotely interested me. Sure, I missed out on a number of bands, but there was no other recourse.

If you want to recommend a um...classic track and a more recent one, I'll check it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #572 on: November 08, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »
Well, I was going to recommend the first album, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-txRraTohVU

Barring the time to invest in that, here are a few classics.  They haven't done a ton of very recent stuff.

I've chosen to give you studio versions devoid of any video content so that all you have to go on is the audio:

New Thing

Fly High Michelle

Baby Loves You

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2016, 06:24:25 AM »
I played Enuff Znuff - The World Is A Gutter in my first podcast.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
"Fly High Michelle" was on the radio, and all over MTV back in the day.

I didn't like it very much, but at that point in time, I was buying EVERYTHING, because there were a ton of "deep tracks" that were better than the hits on most rock albums, so I bought the album.

I didn't find any good songs, so no fan here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:31 AM »
Oh, I remember Fly High Michelle. Wow. So bad.
Checked the others.
They are definitely bottom of the barrel late 80's crap.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #577 on: November 08, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
Just like Winger.   ::)  You're making it much more difficult for me to take your opinions on 80's music seriously, you know that, right?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: November 08, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
Just like Winger.   

Exactly!  ;D

Winger is really a different kind of suck though.

You're making it much more difficult for me to take your opinions on 80's music seriously, you know that, right?  :lol

:lol

Well, I think the sleaze/sex rock thing appeals to you than it does to me. But at the time, what I hated about bands like this is that they just seemed like no talent wagon jumpers. There were so many of them that came out in the late 80's just trying to cash in.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #579 on: November 08, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »
no talent wagon jumpers

I would say the same about most of the bands that are celebrated with regularity around these parts, but that wouldn't necessarily be any more accurate than you feeling that way back then.  To-may-to, to-mah-to, I guess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: November 08, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »
no talent wagon jumpers

I would say the same about most of the bands that are celebrated with regularity around these parts, but that wouldn't necessarily be any more accurate than you feeling that way back then.  To-may-to, to-mah-to, I guess.

Oh for sure.

BTW it's to-may-to.  ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #581 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
The thing about Enuff Z'nuff (the bass player's name is Chip Z'nuff, though that's not his real name) was they were a second-tier band, but they weren't one of a thousand bands that all looked the same.  Those LA Guns/Faster Pussycat/SleezBeez/ clones all had the same black jeans, ripped t-shirt, bracelet-into-the-full-tat-sleeve, moussed hair, and nose ring thing and for me, I couldn't tell them apart.   Enuff Z'nuff stood out because they were basically Day-glo clowns without the fem angle from Poison.  Plus, I liked the Chicago angle, that Midwestern sensibility ala one of my favorite bands (and one of their favorite bands as well) Cheap Trick.   

Plus, there's supposedly a story about Chip and Madonna that is...  well... with all the drinking I did in college, I am glad that never happened to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #582 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »
Well, as much as I thought they sucked, I still had a little respect for LA Guns, as they seemed to be splintered from GnR.
But Faster Pussycat?? Damn, literally the worst band I've ever seen.

Just as the LA sleaze scene was really breaking, I blindly attended Faster Pussycat's show at the Living Room (tiny club) in Providence in Sept of '87. They were so f'n bad, I almost skipped GnR's show there a month later, which thankfully I didn't. Poison did come a month or so after that, I believe, and I almost went because I knew they'd be huge, but I just didn't like their music enough to make the effort to attend.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #583 on: November 08, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
The thing about Enuff Z'nuff (the bass player's name is Chip Z'nuff, though that's not his real name) was they were a second-tier band, but they weren't one of a thousand bands that all looked the same.  Those LA Guns/Faster Pussycat/SleezBeez/ clones all had the same black jeans, ripped t-shirt, bracelet-into-the-full-tat-sleeve, moussed hair, and nose ring thing and for me, I couldn't tell them apart.   Enuff Z'nuff stood out because they were basically Day-glo clowns without the fem angle from Poison.  Plus, I liked the Chicago angle, that Midwestern sensibility ala one of my favorite bands (and one of their favorite bands as well) Cheap Trick.   

Plus, there's supposedly a story about Chip and Madonna that is...  well... with all the drinking I did in college, I am glad that never happened to me.

I saw them earlier this year at M3 with Chip on vocals and he did well.  However, I've seen video of other more recent shows, that left me very underwhelmed.

Donnie is now doing songs on Youtube under the name Guilt n Shame.  No idea what Johnny Monaco is up to.  He sounded a HELL of a lot like Donnie.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »
In the early 80's I did have a couple Hanoi Rocks tapes and I did enjoy them.

One band that I did like was Shooting Gallery. Stadler, I'm going to assume you saw the Revenge club tour? Shooting Gallery was the opening band, and having never heard of them, they literally blew me away. the drummer was awesome. Come to find out, the guitarist was Andy McCoy from HR.

Restless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPn-NaB2lsM

Nature Of My Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR4fBC4HmYI

Especially for Coz!
I Mess Around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WIw0tAhfRU

Laugh if you must, but these guys put on one of the three best opening acts shows I have ever seen. I bought the album the next day.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #585 on: April 09, 2023, 12:49:05 PM »