Author Topic: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*  (Read 227420 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
Someone should get an Agalloch survivor started around here. That is, unless it has already been done (I wouldn't know since I rarely spend too much time in this sub-forum). Anyways, I'm just listening to The Mantle, and I know there are a lot of fans around here who would enjoy doing the survivor...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
After I finish my Genesis Survivor, I'm going to revisit my DT Survivors I did a couple of years ago, including:
Multi-Movement Song Survivors
Twelve-Step Suite Movements Survivor
Twelve-Step Suite Songs Survivor

I think I had one or two more that I did, but I'm not at my home laptop to find out, but these are the ones I'll probably start with.

EDIT: The other DT Survivors that I did were:
Longest Songs
Shortest Songs

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:02:29 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: September 15, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
I've got a general question about a lot of the survivors on this forum, and I didn't want to post it on any of the specific survivor threads, so I'm asking it here.

I may have asked this before, but I've missed a lot of time posting here over the past few years, but I used to be very active on the P&S forums. What is with the practice of having album survivors without actually crowing a champion from each album? I mean, I get that that the final two advance to the band's "Final Survivor", but why not take the extra two days to let those two songs go head to head and crown a champion from each album, kind of like having a division champion in sports? Then regardless of who wins, both songs still move on.

I may have even asked this the last time I was around, but I don't remember what came of it. At the end of the day, Survivors are meant to be fun, and this isn't a slight on any of the survivor runners, just a personal opinion/suggestion to how to make it even better.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #353 on: September 15, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »
I've got a general question about a lot of the survivors on this forum, and I didn't want to post it on any of the specific survivor threads, so I'm asking it here.

I may have asked this before, but I've missed a lot of time posting here over the past few years, but I used to be very active on the P&S forums. What is with the practice of having album survivors without actually crowing a champion from each album? I mean, I get that that the final two advance to the band's "Final Survivor", but why not take the extra two days to let those two songs go head to head and crown a champion from each album, kind of like having a division champion in sports? Then regardless of who wins, both songs still move on.

I may have even asked this the last time I was around, but I don't remember what came of it. At the end of the day, Survivors are meant to be fun, and this isn't a slight on any of the survivor runners, just a personal opinion/suggestion to how to make it even better.

I have wondered that before, but in the 4 major Survivors I've done here (Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Marillion and currently Genesis), I've run each album to find a Top Song for each album, but in the case of B-Sides and Consolations, I only ran it to the Top 2. I always felt it was more fun to see which of the Top 2 of an album would win against each other.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »
Could I start up another survivor after the current ones are finished, maybe for Yes, Rush, or Pink Floyd?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »
Could I start up another survivor after the current ones are finished, maybe for Yes, Rush, or Pink Floyd?

Do Pink Floyd. :dsotm:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »

I believe there is an annual Rush Survivor that is done by a certain poster here, although whom I cannot recall, but I believe it should be starting sometime in the next couple months. It'd be nice considering Rush is on tour for their new album right now, it would be a great time to start that Survivor.

Can anyone here recall who usually runs the Rush Survivor? I'd love to see that started real soon!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #357 on: September 23, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
After I finish my Genesis Survivor, I'm going to revisit my DT Survivors I did a couple of years ago, including:
Multi-Movement Song Survivors
Twelve-Step Suite Movements Survivor
Twelve-Step Suite Songs Survivor

I think I had one or two more that I did, but I'm not at my home laptop to find out, but these are the ones I'll probably start with.

EDIT: The other DT Survivors that I did were:
Longest Songs
Shortest Songs

-Marc.

I think I will start these DT-Related Survivors not long after I finish my Genesis Survivor.

Afterwards, though, I think I will start my Neal Morse Survivor, which I took over from Quadrochosis and completed two years ago, but before Testimony 2 came out, and now with Momentum released, Neal has 2 more studio albums that I can add to the Survivor. Also to note - I'll be starting with Neal's FIRST TWO solo albums, the self-titled one and It's Not Too Late. While they are all very proggy, I feel like I should include them this time.

Long-term: after Neal Morse, I think I will run the Spock's Beard Survivor again, since by then, they will have hopefully released their 11th studio album. Between these two long-term survivors, I should be pretty well planned out for the rest of 2012 and most of 2013!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:52:42 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
I guess I'll do Pink Floyd. Is there any sort of limit of survivors, or do people just post here stating that they're starting and the like?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
I guess I'll do Pink Floyd. Is there any sort of limit of survivors, or do people just post here stating that they're starting and the like?

I believe it was proposed that anyone who starts a major Survivor should only do one at a time, mostly to keep traffic down on the board.

Otherwise, feel free to do what you want with your PF Survivor. There's no limit to how you run it. Some people do 1-day rounds, others do 2 or more, and some only run each album to the Final 2 (which go to the Finals, while the 3rd place song goes to Consolations), while others, like me, run the albums to the end to determine the final ranking for an album.

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
Ok, I'll start when you finish the Genesis survivor  :tup

Offline Ruba

« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »
I would like to continue the Queensr˙che survivor, that has been on hold for months. Is there some limit for the amount of ongoing survivors? Can I continue it now or should I wait until one of the current ones ends?

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »
I was going to start my PF survivor once the Genesis one is done.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: October 05, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
I'm thinking about making a LTE survivor.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #364 on: October 05, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
I'm thinking about making a LTE survivor.

Pwetty pwease :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #365 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
In answer to DoC's question above... just look at the final results, and whichever song finishes higher, that's the one that 'won' the individual album.  Deductive reasoning.  Saves one (virtually meaningless) round of voting.  And when you're doing something like a Genesis survivor, with what ... 15 albums?  That'll shorten the survivor by anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on how fast the organizer is running it.

That's my thought at least.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
Well i'll start the LTE survivor now i guess!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »
Has anyone done Alice in Chains survivors?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #368 on: October 06, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »
Has anyone done Alice in Chains survivors?
I did one several years ago.  But I'm out of "survivor" mode now, so if you want to do it, feel free.

Hell, a lot of the time I forget that this subforum is even here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #369 on: October 06, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
 :tup

I think I'm going to wait until the DT survivors calm down.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #370 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »
Just as an update to my Survivor Schedule:

Genesis Survivor 2012 - FINISHED! The Finals just ended with "Firth Of Fifth" finding itself at first. Fffffffffff....
Dream Theater: Twelve-Step Suite Songs Survivor 2012 - In Session! Four 2-day rounds to rank the 5 songs.
Dream Theater: Twelve-Step Suite Movements Survivor 2012 - Coming Next! 11 2-Day rounds to rank the 12 movements.
Dream Theater: Multi-Movement Songs Survivor - Afterwards! Six songs (ACOS/TKH/TOT/SDOIT/8VM/ITPOE), top-movement of each song goes to the Finals (may or may not include the Twelve-Step Suite Movement Survivor)
Dream Theater: Shortest Songs Survivor - Later on! Haven't done this one since before ADTOE came out - get to add "Far From Heaven"!
Dream Theater: Longest Songs Survivor - Much later! Again, not since before ADTOE, so "Breaking All Illusions" get added!
Neal Morse Survivor 2013 - SOOO far ahead... Starts with his self-title debut album all the way up to his most recent and 9th solo studio release Momentum
Spock's Beard Survivor 2013 - Probably sometime in the Spring/Summer season, hopefully after SB11 has been long released.
Transatlantic Survivor 2013 - Hopefully, by the time I get to this (Summer/Fall), the new TA album will have been released (or be close to it). I'm thinking for The Whirlwind, I'll include the 12 tracks of the main album, as well as the four original tracks on the 2nd disc, making a total of 16 tracks/options for the album.

...WHEW! That'll keep me busy for another year or more! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: October 06, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
I may start the League back in late December, Early January. No offense, but I prefer voting for songs rather than against them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #372 on: October 06, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the League?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 06, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »

Not a stupid question at all.

The League is a format that I lifted from the sporting world. We have each song play a "season" of 20 Weeks. Each week, "all" of a given band's song are randomly paired to create matches. Players will vote for which song they like better in each match. Whichever song has more votes at the deadline gets a "win", loser get a "loss", and ties are ties. After the season, we'd have tournaments for each album, and then a huge tournament at the end to crown the League Champion.

I have done DT's in the past. I haven't seen it implemented for any other bands, but I would love to see the format phase out the survivors, but there is a lot of work involved in running one, so I could see why people wouldn't want to undertake it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
I may start the League back in late December, Early January. No offense, but I prefer voting for songs rather than against them.

Cool!  Any thought to doing Thunderdome again?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: October 06, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
Thunderdome was someone else's baby. I don't fully remember how it was ran.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #376 on: October 06, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

Not a stupid question at all.

The League is a format that I lifted from the sporting world. We have each song play a "season" of 20 Weeks. Each week, "all" of a given band's song are randomly paired to create matches. Players will vote for which song they like better in each match. Whichever song has more votes at the deadline gets a "win", loser get a "loss", and ties are ties. After the season, we'd have tournaments for each album, and then a huge tournament at the end to crown the League Champion.

I have done DT's in the past. I haven't seen it implemented for any other bands, but I would love to see the format phase out the survivors, but there is a lot of work involved in running one, so I could see why people wouldn't want to undertake it.

Oh wow - that sounds involved, but cool at the same time.  Wouldn't mind seeing that pop up at some point in the near future.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 06, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
I usually don't do it while the Dream Theater Survivor is going on. The Unofficial schedule is Survivor July - December and the League January - June. But real life issues can push the start/stop times ahead or behind. But that's okay. It's all about having fun.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #378 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Ah, gotcha.  Hope to see it sometime. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
I usually don't do it while the Dream Theater Survivor is going on. The Unofficial schedule is Survivor July - December and the League January - June. But real life issues can push the start/stop times ahead or behind. But that's okay. It's all about having fun.

hhhmmm... I asked a few months back, and I coulda swore someone said it was yours, and your sabbatical was likely the reason it wasn't going.

BTW... good to have you back.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
Thanks man. Means a lot.

I think that Thunderdome was the brainchild of Scurvy Dreams.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #381 on: October 08, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
In answer to DoC's question above... just look at the final results, and whichever song finishes higher, that's the one that 'won' the individual album.  Deductive reasoning.  Saves one (virtually meaningless) round of voting.  And when you're doing something like a Genesis survivor, with what ... 15 albums?  That'll shorten the survivor by anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on how fast the organizer is running it.

That's my thought at least.

It's certainly a fairly sensible way of looking at it but the problem is that we're looking at a scenario where we're trying to decide what song is liked more out of the two remaining songs despite the fact that more than a third of the voters voted to eliminate neither of those two songs.

Since it's impossible for any song that would end up in a final round with only 2 songs to have received any more than ~33.3% of the votes from the previous round, that means that it's impossible for any song to be invincible against being voted out in a final round even if zero people voted for it in the 3-song round assuming roughly the same amount of people vote in that final round.

A good way to still decide an album's champion and avoid having to run that final round would be to:

1. Don't use the poll option for the final (3 song) round.

2. Have folks just submit lists of those 3 songs with #1 being their favorite and #3 being their least favorite.

3. The band with the most #3 votes is eliminated and ranked as that album's #3 song.

4. Whatever song has the most #2 votes out of the two songs that did not receive the most #3 votes is that album's runner up.

I realize it seems weird to not crown the song with the most #1 votes as its album's champion but that's because the format of a survivor is to rank songs by penalizing them for voters not liking them rather than rewarding them for voters liking them.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:09:07 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
I have no fucking clue what you just said.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:48 AM »
Um... yeah, count me in with jingle.san.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
I'm starting a Nicky Spanjaards survivor next week. Get ready.