Author Topic: 2010-07-10 - Palladium - Worcester, MA (DT headlining show)  (Read 47376 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: 2010-07-10 - Palladium - Worcester, MA (DT headlining show)
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your experience was so chaotic Mike. I choose the balcony because I wanted to chill and watch the show from a distance. I tell you what, it was peaceful as can be up there. It had to be, no one wanted to make any unnecessary movements as it was a billion degrees up there. I have never experienced anything like the heat in that balcony at a show. When I first walked up there I was shocked at how fuckin HOT it was!!! and by how much seating there was. I was like, this is a small club show? Anyhow it was so fucking hot I couldn't believe it, did I mention that? After I acclimated to the temperature I was ok for the most part, but wow, it was crazy hot(for the third time). The temp dropped a good 20 degrees every time I went down a level to the bathroom.
and to all the peeps I met at the Irish bar, once again, cheers! it was great hanging with you!
Oh, and its the second show I ran in to ZBomb is a large setting, and it was cool that he came up and sweated in the balcony with us. Myself and the people I was hanging with owned an entire row!
and TAC said "hey tick!" in the lobby while he was talking to King and Mrs King. I was like hey how ya doing and finally I said, ok, who the hell are you? :lol
Terrific night as far as I'm concerned, and DT sounded really good.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:12:00 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »
oh, and who was that guy belting out the Ronnie James Dio in the Irish bar! :biggrin:

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »
Great show as others have posted , And yeah it was dam hot uo in the seats !!!!!!
My buddy and I hung around at the Irish bar for a couple beers and a bite to eat (food was nasty but oh well )
So anyway we hung out in the parking lot behind the venue and they had the back door open were the sound guy was and we got to hear Dt's sound check that was a first, and very awesome , we were so tempted to walk in and try to hang out right there but didn't want to screw up the night and get kicked out but we walked out at the end of the show and I told my buddy hey there gonna do an encore he was like I cant take the heat anymore so I agreed and we went out to the back door and walked in like we belonged there and watched the count from there Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
Bummer, I missed TCOT, but I was exhausted from the day and the brutal heat in the venue,  and the fact that I had a 1-hour drive still ahead of me. So, I dropped out before the encore.

rumborak
[/quote

I wish mine was 1 hour. Wife, daughter & I had 4.5 hour drive back to northwestern Vermont. Got to bed at 5:00.

James was freakin awesome by the way, incredible pipes.

Offline megancatherine

« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »
Hey - first time poster.  Thought I'd share our experience.  My Fiance and I drove up from near the cape to Worcester last night, so you'd think when they finished near midnight we'd want to hit the road right away. But no... We sort of stood around on the side street next to the Palladium while traffic cleared.  Had a smoke, watched roadies and thought "hey.. wonder how long until the band comes out we should totally see if we can meet them". 

So long story short - we got to meet James, who came out really early and took pictures with folks, signed some stuff and was so kind and soft spoken.  Then we hung out for another hour and a half or so (with some really awesome fellow fans) and met Mike and John P (or "god" as one fan called him).  Mike and John were walking around with their kids (we're on Mike's daughter's home videos  :lol ) and it was pretty awesome not just to meet some of your idols, but to see them just being normal dads.  I think we finally got in at 3:15am or so. 

This was my third show - Boston last year, Toronto w/ Maiden last weekend, and last night.  I really think this was their most stellar performance.  James was spot on last night and well, the rest, you know needs no explanation.  We were up toward the back right behind the booths and I think we were the most into it of anyone around us.  So glad I wasn't in that pit.  It looked like a game of Red Rover gone horribly wrong. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
Great story, megancatherine, and welcome to the forums!

Also,

and TAC said "hey tick!"

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline brucknerdoc

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
Been to a dozen DT shows in all sorts of venues and the Palladium is THE PITS - worse venue, by far. My son and I were on the floor and it was unbearably hot - the 45 min between sets with the high-beams on us almost killed me! Lamest mosh-pit I've ever dealt with - bunch of idiots. DT commented on how they love playing intimate venues like this one, but it will take a lot for me to ever want to go to that hell-hole ever again.

That said, you can't steal away the magic of DT concert - awesome, beyond expectations! It was fun to watch Mike play to his kids - and to watch them rock out was amazing! Petrucci's playing never ceases to amaze, and the back and forth he had with Rudess and his key-tar was incredible.

Now, seeing them again on Mon. at MSG with Maiden, sitting with the a/c on (I hope...)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »
R.I.P. Moes Hot Dogs!!! "The worlds best Hot Dogs, maybe even better" I never even knew you but you will be missed! Worcester will never be the same!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Megancatherine..are you the guy I met in my store a few weeks ago?
Think groceries..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
so kingshmegland and his wife picked me up at about 1:45 and we began the hour long drive to Worcester. None of the parking garages right near the venue were even open when we got there :lol so we had to park a few blocks away (which might have made our escape a bit easier afterwards). We headed over to Armsby Abbey and set up camp for a while, we were definitely there a solid hour and a half and had three rounds each of very good beer (cheers to the bartender who I think was a DT fan and gave me a break on a tasting flight featuring a pour of Cantillon, a rare Belgian brewery whose beer was $15 for a full glass). Chino stopped in with his buddy for a quick beer before they made their way over to Irish Times. We went over there a little before 5 and the place was already packed full of prog nerds :lol Evidently most of the shows at the Palladium attract a younger (under 21) crowd, so they didn't put on any extra staff for a pre show rush, so the help was kind of mobbed. It took us forever to get our appetizers, and then it took long enough for me to get my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that they didn't charge me for it :hat Cheers to meeting tick, dreamtheatervt, Elsydeon, and I think maybe one or two more of you that I'm forgetting. We need nametags next time like at the Score pre-party :lol ZeppDT made it a little bit later on and we hung out with him for a while before heading over to the venue. Big thanks to tick for making room in the row he and his compatriots procured for me and Mr & Mrs Shmegland. Yes, as others noted, it was ridiculously hot in there, brutal really. I forget the name of the guy who did a few minutes of standup to open, but I didn't think he was that funny, although I do appreciate a punchline of "Yeah, he cried harder than Dave Mustaine in Some Kind of Monster". I think I laughed harder at Portnoy growling C IS FOR COOKIE THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME during ANTR :lol As others said, the opening band's sound was pretty unfortunate, but I don't think they would have been my cup of tea anyway. I got to (very briefly) meet TAC as everyone was making their way back to their seats because it was only a few minutes to Psycho. Dream Theater put on a great show, James was on, and I got to see Wither live for the first time. It was weird seeing them without any video screens (though I understand why), and I noticed James had a foot pedal that he used I think to trigger some delay in his vocals, which I don't remember seeing at previous shows. It was a bit of a tease though when James was talking for a minute about them touring as an opener with Iron Maiden and Portnoy played the drum intro to Run to the Hills, I thought for a second we were gonna get a drum duel with Richard Christy. A few wrong turns trying to escape Worcester later and I made it home. Thanks again to kingshmegland and his wife for giving me a ride to/from, and for everyone who came out yesterday and helped make it a good time!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline megancatherine

« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
Megancatherine..are you the guy I met in my store a few weeks ago?
Think groceries..

Not the guy... the girl.. but yes, that'd be us  :laugh:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
I didn't think the floor was incredibly bad.  However, I am sympathetic if it bothered you because I was beside a Faith No More pit last week and the rowdiness pissed me off.  It was like Fight Club.  But compared to that, this one seemed weak and manageable since it was mostly skinny DT fanboys.  I must admit I was really bouncing/bobbing/hopping and shouting the lyrics when The Mirror/Lie kicked in.  I love those Awake songs and it really rocketed up my energy level alot.  I got lost in the vibe and really let loose.  But I'm never one to push someone, so the pit is not for me.  I'm more of a fist-pumper/bobber/singer.

Nice meeting some of you, like king, and I think I shook axeman's hand.  And, of course, I went with Zepp.  Damn, I'm ready for another DT show!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:57:13 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the person I knew I was forgetting when I typed up my post :lol

also, I forget which song early in the set it was, but MP took a pretty awesome extended drum fill at the end and I found myself thinking "Damn, he beat those drums like they dared disrespect Egypt". They also cut out the intro to Home, which confused me and then made me sad because it's all about the buildup to the WOMP WOMP
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
A phenomenal show!
There was as much energy between DT and the crowd than I ever remember being. Certainly not since the SFAM show in 2000. Maybe it wasn't "just another stop" and that it was one of these one off shows, but the band was probably the most engaged I have EVER seen since the early days.  And the crowd responded big time. What an amazing experience. In my opinion, last year's setlist was much better and diverse, but this heavy set really worked given the venue and energy. The band was loose and comfortable and really looked happy to be there.
After seeing bands multiple times, sometimes you can tell if it's important to them...and to me, this band made a statement last night.
Jordan was really into it, and John Myung played at the foot of the stage far more than I ever remember.

Being on the road with Iron Maiden seems to have rubbed off on them performance wise, especially James, who BTW, was outstanding. He sounded absolutely fantastic.

Very cool to meet Kingshmegland, and also to say hello to Tick and Axeman. Also got a chance to meet Don Jamison simply walking down the street after his set. He was very cool and gracious.

This was one of my favorite Dream Theater performances that I’ve seen. The ending of Home has to be seen to be believed!

I've never been to The Palladium, but as I was sitting there before DT went on, it gave me the feeling that I was in a Planet Of The Apes movie, and this run down theater was buried underground, and it's where the surviving humans would gather. Definitely a creepy place!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LTE

« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
I got Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung to acknowledge me in the crowd.  :biggrin:  Near the end when they were about to bow I pointed towards Myung and nodded my head in respect and he looked at me, put his hands together and nodded his head back.

:metal
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »

I've never been to The Palladium, but as I was sitting there before DT went on, it gave me the feeling that I was in a Planet Of The Apes movie, and this run down theater was buried underground, and it's where the surviving humans would gather. Definitely a creepy place!

:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't know what the deal is with support act sound guys. I mean, do they get told to intentionally fuck up the band's sound? It took the guy 3 songs and an extended guitar solo to for the first time pull up the guitars.

rumborak
I wish mine was 1 hour. Wife, daughter & I had 4.5 hour drive back to northwestern Vermont. Got to bed at 5:00.

Jesus Christ. 1 hour is upper limit for driving to a concert. But, I guess that's easy to say for me, living in Boston. In Northwestern VT I would think the pickings are slim :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Did anyone take pictures at the bar? 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
Hello to all the DTF'er ;D  that my wife and I met. Axe spelled it out great about last night, and he was right about the part of us getting lost a little bit.  What the hell is wrong with the town of Worcester with their street signs pointing us to go to I-290.  I think some kids had to steal some signs to make us go in circles for 15 minutes! ;D(I'm sticking with this story). Great to meet you all. I had a blast speaking about, what else, Seinfield and Curb Your Enthusiasm! Drinking some great beers. Watching Tick's unbridled enthusiasm for DT and finally meeting TAC.  Great to meet you and your wife.   Also Z, Chino and Mebert were a very cool kids. Damn your all young enough to be my kids.  

BTW axe. I think the Drum part mike did was Where Eagles Dare.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:25:25 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Hello to all the DTF'er ;D my wife and I met. Axe spelled it out great about last night, though he left out the part of us getting lost a little bit.  What the hell is wrong with the town of Worcester with their street signs pointing us to go to I-290.  I think some kids had to steal some signs to make us go in circles for 15 minutes! ;D(I'm sticking with this story). Great to meet you all. I had a blast speaking about, what else, Seinfield and Curb Your Enthusiasm! Drinking some great beers. Watching Tick's unbridled enthusiasm for DT and finally meeting TAC.  Great to meet you and your wife.   Also Z, Chino and Mebert were a very cool kids. Damn your all young enough to be my kids.  

I'm not sure if I met Chino?

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »
Killer show.  I have never seen the Palladium that packed in all the shows I've seen there.  That was also the hottest show I have ever been to there.  Very unusual.  Driving into the city, I could not believe the line to get in.  We parked off Foster St and walked towards the Palladium from the other direction and walked right in the will call line.  Sorry to those folks we bypassed in line  :P
Got a railing spot by the soundboard.  Great view.  I thought Don Jamieson was pretty funny

That was the best I have ever seen DT play (and that is saying something since I have never been disappointed).  Highlights for me were Lie, As I Am, and the Count of Tuscany.  I'm not sure if it was because of the intimate setting, but Petrucci stole the show, although James absolutely owned The Mirror/Lie with his vocals.  Jordan did have a couple techinal issues with a couple songs.
Mike singing C is for Cookie during A Nightmare to Remember was hysterical.  The guys looked like they were having so much fun up there, especially during Jordan and Petrucci's jam off during PMU/Metropolis.  Also, when they sped up PMU and James couldn;t keep up with the vocals because they were playing so fast was a riot.

Anyone know who the older couple was up on the ledge with Mike's kids?
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2010, 06:10:46 AM »
oh and Richard Christy's drumming for CWOTD was insane
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:44 AM »
I don't know what the deal is with support act sound guys. I mean, do they get told to intentionally fuck up the band's sound? It took the guy 3 songs and an extended guitar solo to for the first time pull up the guitars.

rumborak

Jesus Christ. 1 hour is upper limit for driving to a concert. But, I guess that's easy to say for me, living in Boston. In Northwestern VT I would think the pickings are slim :lol

rumborak

You're not kidding! We got Metallica in 1989 and that's it. In 2008 DT was in Albany which is only about 2.5 hrs. I'll take what I can get.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »

rumborak

rumborak

You're not kidding! We got Metallica in 1989 and that's it. In 2008 DT was in Albany which is only about 2.5 hrs. I'll take what I can get.
I had a 2 hour drive home, and that was plenty long enough for me.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59:29 AM »
Some random pics...

This is me before the 5 pounds I lost sitting in the balcony.

A trip to Worcester without getting the try the best hot dogs in the world!!! MAYBE BETTER!!! WHY MOE! WHY!!!!

Hanging at the Irish bar with some friends, getting juiced up for the show!

Preparing to enter Dante's Inferno!!!
That venue is a weight loss plan as well as a dumpy place to see a concert. Its two treats in one!!!! :tick2:

Offline Palegod

« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
Hey does anyone happen to know the name of the female artist who did the cover of "As I Am" that was played before the show?  I've heard it before two shows now but can't find anything about it online.  Sorry for the lame question - I'm sorta new here  :angel:

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Edit: In my infinite awesomeness and totally not awake yet, I just posted this on my fiance's computer under his account.  So forgive me all for sounding girly - this is actually Megancatherine, above poster  :facepalm: 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
Hey does anyone happen to know the name of the female artist who did the cover of "As I Am" that was played before the show?  I've heard it before two shows now but can't find anything about it online.  Sorry for the lame question - I'm sorta new here  :angel:

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Edit: In my infinite awesomeness and totally not awake yet, I just posted this on my fiance's computer under his account.  So forgive me all for sounding girly - this is actually Megancatherine, above poster  :facepalm: 
You made your fiances first post? That's funny! :lol
Sorry, I can't help out with your question, but I'm sure someone will. :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2010, 08:24:04 AM »
I agree with Serp. This was as loose as I've EVER seen DT.

BTW, the show went up on Dime last night!

Offline megancatherine

« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
Yeah - I'm a spaceshot this morning.  I give him tons of credit for putting up with me.  It'll be the first and only post most likely - unless I stumble over to the wrong computer again.  

Just as an aside to something TAC said - while we were at the Toronto Maiden show the first thing I noticed about James is that he'd either taken a refresher course of Frontman 101, or touring with BD really rubbed off on him.  I don't have a lot of stuff to compare to - just the show last year at the Pavilion in Boston, but he just seemed so much more energetic and engaged. It's good to hear other people make the same assumptions about the effects of touring as an opener to Maiden. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »
I agree with Serp. This was as loose as I've EVER seen DT.

BTW, the show went up on Dime last night!
What is"Dime", TAC?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #275 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
dimeadozen, a popular (legal) bootleg site. It uses torrents though, so make sure you are familiar with them if you join the site.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline LTE

« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
OMFG DOWNLOADING NOW IN FLAC.

:metal :metal

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »
I'm really surprised at how good the quality of this is, especially taking into effect how bad the sound was in the venue that night. at least for me anyway

Offline LTE

« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
Agreed, I was on the right side of the venue, and could hear Myung actually pretty well, which was odd, Petrucci was balanced, Portnoy was piercing in a good way, but James was drowned out by the crowd, but from these samples alone it sounds great!!

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »
OMFG DOWNLOADING NOW IN FLAC.

:metal :metal
Feeling dum I just joined dime and cant find the file
Edit: nevermind i got it lol!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:35:38 AM by EstyMaJ »