Author Topic: Post-Rock  (Read 70000 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Post-Rock
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2014, 03:00:55 AM »
I don't think the new Mono albums are getting enough love, they are really great. If they had been released separately I might have liked them less, but as a combo they really balance each other out. I might prefer Rays of Darkness slightly, but The Last Dawn is really great as well. This is much better than the last album, which felt like a band going on autopilot. This feels like a band trying new things.  :heart

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2014, 07:13:07 AM »
I don't think the new Mono albums are getting enough love, they are really great. If they had been released separately I might have liked them less, but as a combo they really balance each other out. I might prefer Rays of Darkness slightly, but The Last Dawn is really great as well. This is much better than the last album, which felt like a band going on autopilot. This feels like a band trying new things.  :heart

Maybe it's because this was the first time I've listened to Mono, but I really liked The Last Dawn. I thought it was quite beautiful and lush sounding if not a tad mellow than what I was expecting. I'll probably get Rays of Darkness next, but it left a good impression on me.  :tup

Offline krands85

« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2014, 10:35:31 AM »
Godspeed You! Black Emperor will return  to Europe for a month of live dates in April 2015, kicking off in Hamburg, DE on the 7th

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
I love living in Spain, I really do

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Nothing near me. :(

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
So I bought Mono's Rays of Darkness the other day and had time to listen to it. Great album IMO, even though it felt a bit shorter than what I expected. I listened to both TLD and RoD one after the other just now, and out of the two I enjoyed The Last Dawn a tad more.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2014, 04:39:05 AM »
I just listened to that band 'Toria' that Soundscape posted a link to a few months ago in this thread and it was cool, really good fun  :D :metal

thanks for mentioning it. Toria are pretty sweet, although I'll admit, I think their EPs I got more into, probably because of the way they used samples.

I actually just discovered per the KScope podcast, another band, from the UK, a little like them, but also like a few others, namely *Shels and Forest Park and God is an Astronaut.

Nordic Giants

https://nordicgiants.bandcamp.com/

I got so into them so quickly, I purchased the colored Vinyl pressing of their 2 most recent EPs "Build Seas / Dismantle Suns"

some incredibly atmospheric music with this group. Using piano, samples, trumpet, female vocals and a lot of other things (strings). They I guess are working on their 1st full-length record or are done with it and it'll likely come out in 2015. I can't wait to hear it now.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:57 AM »
Jakob's new album Sines is absolutely fantastic if none of you guys have heard it yet. It's my favorite post-rock release this year, and easily one of the best in a long time as well.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #463 on: December 16, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »
Wow, this spanish band Toundra is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5EXWOFmuF0

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #464 on: December 18, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
So I just saw Mono live.

Wow. That was stunning. Maybe not my favourite concert ever, but certainly one of the top spots. Really really good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #465 on: December 28, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
I just listened to that band 'Toria' that Soundscape posted a link to a few months ago in this thread and it was cool, really good fun  :D :metal

thanks for mentioning it. Toria are pretty sweet, although I'll admit, I think their EPs I got more into, probably because of the way they used samples.

I actually just discovered per the KScope podcast, another band, from the UK, a little like them, but also like a few others, namely *Shels and Forest Park and God is an Astronaut.

Nordic Giants

https://nordicgiants.bandcamp.com/

I got so into them so quickly, I purchased the colored Vinyl pressing of their 2 most recent EPs "Build Seas / Dismantle Suns"

some incredibly atmospheric music with this group. Using piano, samples, trumpet, female vocals and a lot of other things (strings). They I guess are working on their 1st full-length record or are done with it and it'll likely come out in 2015. I can't wait to hear it now.

bump.

I just noticed Nordic Giants are going out on tour (in Europe) with Solstafir of all bands soon.
https://www.facebook.com/nordicgiants/photos/a.227853503903519.57296.111865965502274/863963070292556/?type=1&theater

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »
Jakob's new album Sines is absolutely fantastic if none of you guys have heard it yet. It's my favorite post-rock release this year, and easily one of the best in a long time as well.

Just listened to this today, what a fantastic album.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #467 on: February 13, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: February 13, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
Damn, that's tough. I'm not a fan of his music, but I hope he recovers soon - such an influential musician.

By the way, how is that nobody commented on Junius' new EP? It's some of the best post rock made in years. Absolutely stunning, at least for me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »
Wow, it sounds really interesting! *hype intensifies*

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:27 PM »
AOTY

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
I can wait for the needle drop review

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
I'm actually way more excited for the Nordic Giants debut record "A Séance of Dark Delusions" which comes out the week after, than the new Godspeed.

But  beyond all the exaggerated hype for a new Godspeed record, it'll still be good to hear something new from them. I just wonder after their last record was so uneven, with the filler (the droney pieces) sticking out a bit too much to demand repeated play, I can't help but just expect to only get into a percentage of it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
I loved their last album. Just as good as their old albums IMO. Even if the new album is only Behemoth (which it might be according to rumors), this will still be awesome.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
Yeah, dunno where this came from, but a lot of people are saying Behemoth is going to be the entire album.

Dunno if I’ve posted it before, but this is the best quality version of it that I know of https://archive.org/details/gybe2013-08-06.leipzig2.ca-11.flac16

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
Actually, sorry, it quite clearly states in the website linked on the pitchfork page that the whole album is Behemoth.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #479 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »
New Godspeed streaming via The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/24/godspeed-you-black-emperor-asunder-sweet-and-other-distress-album-stream

Only listened to it once, but I'm really digging it a lot so far. I know it's just a studio version of Behemoth, but few times have I listened to a live set online. :P

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #480 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
I gave a bunch of Cult Of Luna albums another listen recently. Wow, it's amazing what could happen when something doesn't click with you right away and then you come back for awhile and suddenly things click immediately on the next listen. I really appreciate and adore their music much nore now. Now I'm really kicking myself for not appreciating them as much as I could've when they co-headlined with Katatonia on their last American few years back.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »
Hey guys,

I learned that Explosions in the sky will be performing live in my city in a couple of months. While I enjoy the band I'm not really sure it's something I want to see live, however given how post rock is all about the atmosphere I think it might be an interesting experience. Has any of you seen them live? Would you care to share your experience?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:04 PM »
Haven't seen post-rock bands live (damn city-in-the-middle-of-the-country-where-few-bands-go), but they all have a reputation of giving some astonishing live experiences. Looking at the prices, the tickets aren't that much expensive, so you shouldn't miss this one.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
The new God Is An Astronaut kicks major space ass!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
Is their new album a good place for me to start with this band? I'm thinking of giving this band a listen.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
I'd go for All Is Violent, All Is Bright as a starting point, personally.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2015, 08:22:38 PM »
Is their new album a good place for me to start with this band? I'm thinking of giving this band a listen.

I would start chronologically. The first three albums are awesome. The last one I would listen to is Origins. That one for me is a bit of a miss.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #487 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »

I would start chronologically. The first three albums are awesome. The last one I would listen to is Origins. That one for me is a bit of a miss.
Thanks for the advice. I took your word and started with the first album. Very solid record. :tup I know on their Wiki page it cites their guitarist as doing vocals as well, but the first album seems like it's purely instrumental. I know it's too early to judge based on one album, but later in their career do they have songs where there's actual lyrics being sung?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #488 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »
Origins has some vocals with robotic effects (a few songs), and probably that's the turn off on that album...That's about it. Other than that, everything else is instrumental. I think their latest one has one song with vocals (with effects if IIRC) but not as bad as Origins.

Offline krands85

« Reply #489 on: November 09, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
Any fans of maybeshewill? Their latest album didn't do much for me, but I was sad to see that they're calling it a day as a band :( They'll be doing their final tour next year and these are their only UK dates apparently:

12th April - Glasgow
13th April - Leeds
14th April - Leicester
15th April - London

I'll be going to the Glasgow show, hopefully it's a memorable final tour!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww