Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230859 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: The Flower Kings Thread - because they are awesome and deserve one
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
This thread inspired me to watch Instant Delivery today. :D

:heart
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
Just picked up Stardust We Are.  I've only listened to the first 5 or 6 songs thus far, but I love what I've heard.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
That's a definite 5-star album for me, and the title track is just wonderful. Enjoy the ride hef! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
Seems like I'm in the minority but I consider Unfold The Future to be their best work. Granted, not a die hard fan of The Truth... but still, their best album, IMO.

A fantastic band. I've had the pleasure of listening to everything they've ever released (including obscure fan club stuff) and it's a trip all the time. I have yet to reach the point of overplaying them and getting bored by it all.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Just picked up Stardust We Are.  I've only listened to the first 5 or 6 songs thus far, but I love what I've heard.  :tup

Awesome.  That record took a while to grow on me, so the fact that you like it already is great.  Way till you hear the title track.  :)

A fantastic band. I've had the pleasure of listening to everything they've ever released (including obscure fan club stuff) and it's a trip all the time. I have yet to reach the point of overplaying them and getting bored by it all.

It's almost impossible for me to overplay any of their stuff, because they have so much material that I love, it is impossible to listen to it all on a regular basis, even though there are songs and albums I definitely listen to more.  And there are songs and a few albums I probably do not give nearly enough time and attention to.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Next to Rush and DT, I'd like to think TFK are right under them, at least in terms of time-spent-listening and money-spent-collecting!

It'd be REALLY hard for me to rank them right now as I've been heavy on DT, but I think it's time to switch over to some TFK for the remainder of the summer (as DT has conquered my ears for the last 2+ months).

I skimmed the thread a bit, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on here right now (I'll read it indepth later on), but I will say that I really do love their long songs, especially their 20+ minute epics! Roine and company are definitely masters at the long-form and have yet to bore me with any of their albums!

Sure there are albums I don't listen to as much as others, but I think that's because of what I'm in the mood for, or what I'm focusing more on. For a long time, all I listened to were their first three albums (as well as The Flower King by Roine Stolt, the unofficial first TFK album), but then it changed to Space Revolver and Unfold The Future! In the last year or so, I really got hooked on to The Sum Of No Evil (although I prefer my 2-CD version that reworks the tracklist and includes the 3 bonus-disc tracks) and Paradox Hotel (at first neglected, but now I'd rank it in my top 3 TFK albums! Every song is magic!).

I'm sure I'll get a chance to listen to every album in depth this summer. I've been lacking in my TFK listening lately... time to catch up!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
Summer time is always a great time to listen to The Flower Kings; their music is so uplifting and positive, it is perfect for sunny July days!  :)

And I'm probably one of the few people on this site that would say this, but I actually prefer TFK to DT.  DT is a top 10 band for me, but TFK is top 5. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
I hold them at pretty similar levels really, but as with you, both are in my top 10 :D

And I totally agree that their music is summery. My FK listening goes up a lot in the summer. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
I hold them at pretty similar levels really, but as with you, both are in my top 10 :D

And I totally agree that their music is summery. My FK listening goes up a lot in the summer. :)

I agree as well! Their music is more suited for the summer, unlike Porcupine Tree, which I listened to near end of one summer and while I couldn't shake listening to them, it brought me down a bit lol. PT are my winter band to listen to, much like DT is a spring band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 3MinuteWarning

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
I've had Paradox Hotel for like 3 years now and it's up there in my top 10 albums, however I never got around to acquiring their other releases.  I think it's time I did that.

Hit Me With a Hit and Life Will Kill You are my favourite single songs but I always prefer listening to the album from start to finish.  Awesome awesome band.  I always recommend them to fellow proggers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
Stardust we are
Close to divine
Stardust we are
See how we shine
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »
Amazing, ain't it, hef? :)

3MinuteWarning, let us know what record you get next.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
Stardust we are
Close to divine
Stardust we are
See how we shine
One of my favourite choruses ever :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MS394

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »
Flower Kings are amazing. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in our local progressive festival Baja Prog, in 2006, and aside from some strange breaks (if I recall correctly, Hasse and Thomas left the stage two times; Marcus, Jonas and I don´t remember if Roine too, stayed for improvisation and solos), they were incredible. ``Stardust We Are´´ and ´´The Truth Will Set You Free´´ blew my mind live :hefdaddy .

Most of their albums are really good, and Zoltan Csorsz/Jonas Reingold is one of my favorite rhythm sections.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »
I also saw them in '06, the only time I have seen them.  I cannot remember the exact set list, but they did play a ton of Paradox Hotel (pretty much all of the PH songs that are on the Instant Delivery DVD), as well as surprising us with stuff like "Psycedelic Postcard" (one of my favorites), "Just This Once" and "Ghost of the Red Cloud."  I think "The Flower King" was played, as well as a "World of Adventures"/"Silent Sorrow" mix-mash.  Cannot remember the rest, but I know we didn't get any of either "The Truth" (thank goodness) or "Stardust We Are." 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »
Amazing, ain't it, hef? :)
Yes.  Yes it is.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »
@Kev: I love Ghost of the Red Cloud. Such a really nice song, and I can imagine it being a good one to sing along to live :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
I think I pretty much sang along to all of the songs when I saw them.  I remember the friend I was with telling me that he couldn't believe that I knew most of the lyrics to "Psycedelic Postcard" well enough to sing along to that song. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
Been on a major TFK kick lately.  It really is staggering how consistently good they have been.  10 studio albums, four of them doubles, in a 12-year span, and each and every one of them is at least very good, and the majority of them are great. 

BEST full-fledged PROG band EVER.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Been on a major TFK kick lately.  It really is staggering how consistently good they have been.  10 studio albums, four of them doubles, in a 12-year span, and each and every one of them is at least very good, and the majority of them are great. 

BEST full-fledged PROG band EVER.

Wow... that's a huge claim.   :omg:   Genesis?  Yes?  ELP?   And I'm not sure what you mean by "full-fledged"    ???
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
By full-fledged, I mean bands who were so obviously prog that there is no other genre that you could put them in.  For example, I like Rush and Porcupine Tree more from an all-time standpoint, and while both of those bands are called prog by many, neither have ever been full-fledged prog bands in the sense of what is generally considered "prog."  That make sense?

I know it is a bold statement to put them above a prog giant like Yes, and most would disagree, but that is simply my personal preference.  TFK would probably be 3rd on my all-time favorite bands list.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Okay gotcha, that's cool.  I thought that's what you meant.  I was just taken aback that you had put TFK over those all-time greats.  My tastes are really not too far away from yours, but I have to admit that The Flower Kings is one band in particular that I've been unable to get into. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
Okay gotcha, that's cool.  I thought that's what you meant.  I was just taken aback that you had put TFK over those all-time greats. 

Well, many put DT over those same prog bands you mentioned, and TFK has been arguably more prolific (just as many studio albums, but more minutes of original music, and in a much shorter span of time), so it really isn't that much of a stretch. ;)  :biggrin:

My tastes are really not too far away from yours, but I have to admit that The Flower Kings is one band in particular that I've been unable to get into. 

Do you remember what songs or albums you listened to?  Even though I think all of their albums are good, at worst, several of them wouldn't be good starter cds, I think, and I could see someone not getting into them that much as a result.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »
Do you remember what songs or albums you listened to?  Even though I think all of their albums are good, at worst, several of them wouldn't be good starter cds, I think, and I could see someone not getting into them that much as a result.

I've got Retropolis and Stardust We Are.   When I bought those albums, I thought they would be right up my alley.    
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:35:07 PM by LudwigVan »
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
By full-fledged, I mean bands who were so obviously prog that there is no other genre that you could put them in.  For example, I like Rush and Porcupine Tree more from an all-time standpoint, and while both of those bands are called prog by many, neither have ever been full-fledged prog bands in the sense of what is generally considered "prog."  That make sense?

I know it is a bold statement to put them above a prog giant like Yes, and most would disagree, but that is simply my personal preference.  TFK would probably be 3rd on my all-time favorite bands list.

I definitely put TFK way above Yes. I might even have to agree with them being if not "the", then at least one of the best full-fledged prog bands.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »
I've got Retropolis and Stardust We Are.   When I bought those albums, I thought they would be right up my alley.   

Well, you've got two of their best, so I don't know what to tell you. :lol

I sometimes find it better with long prog records to turn them on in the background when I am doing other stuff.  Letting it play over and over a few times, it will often eventually sink in.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
The fact that I love Spocks Beard and Transatlantic made me believe that The Flower Kings would click with me.   I also love jam-bands, and TFK is definitely more "jammy/improvisational" than either of those bands, which would've been another plus in my book.  Anyway, I will give both albums another listen soon. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
Yeah I'll admit that initially I wasn't overawed by TFK. I mean, I liked what I heard, but nothing seemed all that exciting. But what Kev said is EXACTLY what worked for me; I just put it on a few times, sometimes in the background, sometimes when I was paying attention, and the music just clicked with me. It really is amazing stuff.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
Yeah I'll admit that initially I wasn't overawed by TFK. I mean, I liked what I heard, but nothing seemed all that exciting. But what Kev said is EXACTLY what worked for me; I just put it on a few times, sometimes in the background, sometimes when I was paying attention, and the music just clicked with me. It really is amazing stuff.

Okay then, I will dedicate this weekend to some Flower Kings listening time.   :tup

--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
I tried getting into TFK and SB at the same time (summer of '00 right after getting into the first Transatlantic record), and Spock's Beard was definitely more likable at first (I have always called them catchy prog), but over time, The Flower Kings became much more appealing, and I now don't think the bands are even close.  

Also, good to hear, LudwigVan.  Let us know how it goes. :)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
I finally have Instant Delivery here with me again (at my parents place) so I'll pop that in soon!

Oh and, what are your favourite FK epics and short songs?
for me:

Epic: Garden of Dreams
Short song: Touch my Heaven
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
Favorite epics (songs 10 minutes or longer):

"Garden of Dreams"
"I Am the Sun"
"End on a High Note"
"World of Adventures"
"Big Puzzle"
"Stardust We Are"
"Love Supreme"
"Circus Brimstone"
"Devil's Playground"
"Silent Inferno"

Favorite songs under 10 minutes (this list will be long):

"Train to Nowhere"
"Rhythm of the Sea"
"Silent Sorrow"
"The Judas Kiss"
"The Road Back Home"
"The Man Who Walked With Kings"
"Compassion"
"The Merrygoround"
"Different People"
"Ghost of the Red Cloud"
"Stupid Girl"
"Psycedelic Postcard"
"Chicken Farmer Song"
"A King's Prayer"
"Serious Dreamers"
"Genie in a Bottle"
"Man Overboard"
"Solitary Shell"
"Timelines"
"The Blade of Cain"
"Jealousy"
"Pioneers of Aviation"
"Lucy Had a Dream"
"Self-Consuming Fire"
"Touch My Heaven"
"Life Will Kill You"
"What If God Is Alone"
"Blue Planet"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say 'what IS your favourite..' but I love your list nevertheless!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
:lol Kev, that's cheating.

Long song: Stardust We Are
Short song: A King's Prayer

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »
Fine.  :biggrin:

If forced to pick one for each, I'll go with:

Long: "Garden of Dreams"
Short: "What If God Is Alone"