Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233340 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (with Top 50s: KevShmev pg 6-9)
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
Awesome.  I usually get into a big TFK phase when spring rolls around, but it has been delayed a bit this year because of all of the new music I am getting into (some new CDs plus the Decemberists), but it is only a matter of time. :)

Also, their new bootleg-style live DVD from the 2007 tour will be out soon:

https://powerofprog.com/profiles/blogs/the-flower-kings-is-back

Set list:

Love is The Only Answer
There is More to This World
Retropolis
Trading My Soul
Hudson River Sirens Call
I am the Sun
Life in Motion
Brimstone Flight 999
Babylon
Stardust We Are
What If God Was Alone
Blade of Cain
Sum of No Reason 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
Pre-ordered this the night I found out about it! Cannot wait to get my hands on the first new TFK release in 3 years!!! It'll be exciting, even though the show itself is 4 years old, but I'm looking forward to watching/listening to TFK with Mastellotto on drums!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Ive picked up 3 more TFK albums since my last reply on this thread. Ive now got...

The Sum of No Evil
Space Revolver
Stardust We Are
Unfold the Future
Flower Power

So far, Unfold the Future is my favorite.

I haven't listened to disc 2 of Flower Power yet; as after listening to disc 1 a few times, I hit the brick wall with TFK music. But I wound up getting 2 of The Tangent's albums, and I also got Wheel of Life by Karmakanic (listening to it now, it's awesome), and I listened to 2 Neal Morse albums recently. So I've been in a Transatlantic/The Flower Kings-family mood. This thread is actually giving me the TFK itch right now, although it's rainy out, but whatever.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
Awesome.  I usually get into a big TFK phase when spring rolls around, but it has been delayed a bit this year because of all of the new music I am getting into (some new CDs plus the Decemberists), but it is only a matter of time. :)
Exactly the same here! I always listen loads in spring/summer though. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
Pre-ordered this the night I found out about it! Cannot wait to get my hands on the first new TFK release in 3 years!!! It'll be exciting, even though the show itself is 4 years old, but I'm looking forward to watching/listening to TFK with Mastellotto on drums!

I'd be happier with new TFK music altogether ;), but this will be still be nice!  Maybe all of those TSONE songs will help me appreciate that record more.

Ive picked up 3 more TFK albums since my last reply on this thread. Ive now got...

The Sum of No Evil
Space Revolver
Stardust We Are
Unfold the Future
Flower Power

I haven't listened to disc 2 of Flower Power yet; as after listening to disc 1 a few times, I hit the brick wall with TFK music. But I wound up getting 2 of The Tangent's albums, and I also got Wheel of Life by Karmakanic (listening to it now, it's awesome), and I listened to 2 Neal Morse albums recently. So I've been in a Transatlantic/The Flower Kings-family mood. This thread is actually giving me the TFK itch right now, although it's rainy out, but whatever.

What do you mean by brick wall?  Do you mean that you've heard all you want to hear altogether, or that you simply wanted to mix it up for the time being?

Exactly the same here! I always listen loads in spring/summer though. :)

:tup :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »

The Sum of No Evil
Space Revolver
Stardust We Are
Unfold the Future
Flower Power

What do you mean by brick wall?  Do you mean that you've heard all you want to hear altogether, or that you simply wanted to mix it up for the time being?

Once I got Flower Power, and listened to disc 1 a few times, I needed a break from their music. I wanted give the 5 albums I have (3 of them double albums) time to sink in, since I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I bought Stardust, UtF, and FP within a month of so...

And yes, I also wanted to mix it up a bit, thus why I got The Tangent albums and another Karmakanic album. It's all great music, and I'm probably going to go back to those TFK albums soon enough  :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #356 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Just got done with Jonas Reingold, and that interview will be online either tonight or tomorrow (at www.wpapu.com). Had some nice The Flower Kings news in it. :)

With that in mind, the show returns tonight after taking last week off and I plan to play that bit on the air.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Just got done with Jonas Reingold, and that interview will be online either tonight or tomorrow (at www.wpapu.com). Had some nice The Flower Kings news in it. :)

With that in mind, the show returns tonight after taking last week off and I plan to play that bit on the air.

Some TFK news?!? This is what I've been looking forward to ALL year. It seems nearly all the players in TFK have been busy over this past year - Roine's released the 2nd AOM album and is about to release the 3rd one next month; Jonas is just about to release the new Karmakanic album; Hasse is working on the followup to HFMC's FuturePast album, due out sometime next year, probably Winter 2012; and presumably, although I've not heard anything, Tomas is working on the 3rd part of his trilogy that started with I AM and continued with You Are, titled He She It Is.

Also, now that Marcus Liliequist is drumming with Jonas again (for In A Perfect World), and has been drumming for Tomas Bodin (on I AM and You Are), how likely is it that he will rejoin the TFK ranks and reunite the Paradox Hotel lineup for another album? I think it would be amazing because I liked PH and the live album Instant Delivery. I think Marcus has a lot of skill and power that suits the band. Hopefully Roine, Jonas, Tomas, Hasse, and Marcus can all reconvene and write a new album this fall/winter for a Summer 2012 release! *crosses fingers*

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »
Listened to the interview.  Nice job, Nick. :tup :tup 

The possibility of new Flower Kings music is always great, and Reingold sounded pretty confident about them doing it, so woohoo. :hat

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
:caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline darkshade

« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
From the Prog Archives Forum's Flower Kings Appreciation thread.

"I was reading a colleague's comment over on the Garden Of Dreams forum a day or two ago.
He said he met Roine at the Gothenburg prog Festival. Of course, in Roine's presence, said colleague became, in his own words a 'babbling idiot'. Nevertheless, he did ask Roine if there would be another TFK album. Roine said yes!
Then he asked him if Tomas would be on the album. Roine said yes!?? and looked a little bit puzzled. Then he laughed and said: 'Don't believe everything you read on the internet!' "

I'm not sure what other forum the quote came from, but the person who posted it there is not a troll or anything.

Also, does this mean Zoltan will be on TFK11?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
Woohoo! I don't think Zoltan will ever be back, though, because of the tension between him and Tomas. I'd much rather have Tomas than Zoltan in the band anyway.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: October 21, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #364 on: October 21, 2011, 07:50:58 AM »
I would love another album from The Flower Kings, I've been bored stiff by Roine's Agents of Mercy stuff, although the last couple of Karmakanic albums have been good.  I even dug the album Hasse put out a while back.

But yeah, bring on some new stuff from The Flower Kings

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #365 on: October 21, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »
I would love another album from The Flower Kings, I've been bored stiff by Roine's Agents of Mercy stuff, although the last couple of Karmakanic albums have been good.  I even dug the album Hasse put out a while back.

But yeah, bring on some new stuff from The Flower Kings

Indeed. I gave The Black Forest a full spin the other night and it was pretty good, though, and better than Dramarama. I wouldn't mind if Roine kept working with Nad in Agents Of Mercy, but PLEASE bring back the Flower Kings. It's been far too long. 5 years next year...who do they think they are, Rush or Tool? I mean, who puts a band on hold for five years after putting out so much music in 14 short years?...wait....

Anyway, as for TFK's possible drummer? I'd say bring back Marcus - he's been drumming with Tomas for the last few of his albums, and he also joined Karmakanic on their latest album, and I've always felt Roine to be fond of him, so it would make perfect sense to bring him back into the TFK fold. Personally I loved the Paradox Hotel line-up and wouldn't mind hearing them again.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: October 21, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
Yeah, Marcus is OK.   It's too bad they can't make it work with Zoltan, though. 

I think I'll listen to The Sum of No Evil tonight when I get home from work.  Haven't taken that for a spin in quite some time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
I'd love another album with songwriting similar to Paradox Hotel - lots of shorter songs, a few somewhat longer tracks, and the bulk of it written on piano and/or acoustic guitar.  That resulted in one helluva record.  Plus, it sounded more natural and organic, as opposed to the follow-up, The Sum of No Evil, which, while good, sounded like it was trying too hard to be all-out prog. 

Either way, bring on more TFK! :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
I'd love another album with songwriting similar to Paradox Hotel - lots of shorter songs, a few somewhat longer tracks, and the bulk of it written on piano and/or acoustic guitar.  That resulted in one helluva record.  Plus, it sounded more natural and organic, as opposed to the follow-up, The Sum of No Evil, which, while good, sounded like it was trying too hard to be all-out prog. 

Either way, bring on more TFK! :tup :tup

It's quite interesting how the last 3 TFK albums all sound so different from each other - A&E feels a bit more bombastic and hard-rocking, and with an 8-member TFK band, the instrumentation is pretty full. Then we get PH with it's more basic/stripped-back feel with a ton of shorter songs. And finally we come to TSONE with a more classic-yet-modern feel to it, like they were trying to bring back that Retropolis feel, but with a kick. It also helps that each of the 3 albums has a different line-up.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
Honestly, I'd love for them to come back and add some more modern touches and scale back some of the vintage sounds (like that pipe organ sound that is featured in Hit Me with a Hit).  And as always, more Roine and less Froberg vocals, please. :biggrin:

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »
I'd be happy with anything they put out because TFK always make my heart fuckin' SING. Can't wait for a new album.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
They could make "The Sum of No Evil II" and I'd be thrilled.  It's currently my favorite TFK album and I had hoped they'd tour the states in support of it.  I hated "Adam & Eve" (it's one of the few TFK albums I never listen to) and I was only lukewarm on "Paradox Hotel"  But definitely in the same camp with the idea of ANY new stuff from them would be great.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »
Paradox Hotel is my least favorite TFK album. It's not very memorable, and kind of boring. Not that it's bad overall, but it doesn't live up to their other stuff. The Sum of No Evil is really good.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #373 on: October 21, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
My rankings are-

1. Unfold the Future
2. Space Revolver
3. The Sum of No Evil
4. Stardust We Are
5. Paradox Hotel
6. Flower Power (I haven't listened to this one as much for some reason)

I don't know what to get next, as Ive enjoyed them all so far to varying degrees. My local record shop has BITWOA and A&E, but Rainmaker seems cool too. What do you guys think?

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #374 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
I like The Rainmaker a lot, but most fans seem to think it's not so good. Last Minute on Earth, World Without a Heart, Road to Sanctuary, and Sword of God are all great songs. Maybe the album seems rushed or less polished? I dunno.

Adam & Eve is pretty cool, although there are a couple songs I don't like. Back in the World of Adventures is better.

Really, though, you should get Retropolis if possible. It's my second favorite, with Space Revolver being #1.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »
Retropolis and BITWOA are both must-buys if you already like some of the band's material.

The Rainmaker is still probably my 2nd least favorite TFK cd (ahead of only TSONE), but it still has some great stuff.  Serious Dreamers is one of their best tunes ever, and the riff in Last Minute on Earth should suck anyone right away.  On the flip side, Sword of God is probably the only TFK song I actively dislike a lot. 

A&E is really good if you ignore the title track (good bridge in the middle, but the rest is a major WTF) and Starlight Man (talk about ruining a good vibe and cool verses with a bland-as-hell chorus).  Love Supreme, Timelines and Driver's Seat are all fantastic tunes.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #376 on: October 22, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
On the flip side, Sword of God is probably the only TFK song I actively dislike a lot. 

Hmmm, it's one of my favorite TFK songs. It rocks, and the instrumental section in the middle reminds me of Kansas. My only problem with it is that one screwed up falsetto they shouldn't have left in.

I agree that the Adam & Eve title track is a major WTF.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
Listening to Garden of Dreams right now.

Oh....

My....

God...

It's so good I'm crying

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #378 on: November 12, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »
It is amazing.  Nearly 60 minutes of musical perfection.

Along those lines, I wonder, for those who are big fans of both Transatlantic and The Flower Kings, which is the preferred super long suite: Garden of Dreams or The Whirlwind?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: November 12, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »
Mmm, I would go with the Whirlwind. Garden of dreams is amazing though.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Ive had Flower Power for only 4-5 months, whereas Ive had The Whirlwind since it came out, so I have more history and emotional attachment with that one. I think they're about equal (yet both do different things within the compositions). I think The Whirlwind has the edge because it has a greater climax and outro.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #381 on: November 13, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
So, is anyone else excited at the chance of new TFK material next year? It seems Roine is really ready to bring the band back together, so I'm hoping they reconvene over the winter to write and record and aim for a summer release.

Next year should be a BIG year for new music, between TFK and even new Marillion, so if the Kings do record and release by summer, I hope there's a North American tour to come! I'd love to see these guys live!!!

-Marc.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #382 on: November 13, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
Garden of Dreams is so good. Sunny Lane/Gardens Revisited/Shadowland is some of their best music ever.

I saw TFK live in 2005 and they were great.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
I've seen them live 3 times, and the last time I even got to hang out at the sound check before the gig.  That was pretty cool.  I talked to Roine and Hasse for a while, they were very gracious and they autographed my TSONE CD booklet.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Well, I just decided to give The Black Forest (Agents of Mercy's latest) a full spin on ProgStreaming and even though it's not The Flower Kings, it definitely has Roine Stolt's stamp all over it and I like it much better than I did the first AOM disc.

I guess this is the next best thing to something new from TFK