Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230827 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (with Top 50 countdown now going!)
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
All of those songs are incredible, and deserve their placement. Well done, Kev
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2010, 08:48:24 PM »
:tup :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:44 AM »
:tup :tup to Monsters and Men. I wasn't aware that the band weren't keen on it, I think it's great!

By the way, if nobody objects then I might have a go at a top 50 after Kev? I haven't done one before but TFK have so much music (and so much great music) that I think it'd be a great place to start. I also get the impression my list will have a fair few differences to Kev's...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
:tup :tup to Monsters and Men. I wasn't aware that the band weren't keen on it, I think it's great!

IIRC, Roine Stolt recently said on the FK yahoo mailing list that the drummer on that record, Marcus Liliequist, was extremely critical of it during the recording of it, and Roine was disappointed that some of the other band members didn't stick up for it more.  And he has said that he feels like he could have done a better job arranging it.  Personally, I think it is great, too (obviously, given its spot in my top 50 :p). :)

By the way, if nobody objects then I might have a go at a top 50 after Kev? I haven't done one before but TFK have so much music (and so much great music) that I think it'd be a great place to start. I also get the impression my list will have a fair few differences to Kev's...

Have at it.  Mine should be finished by the beginning of next week, so start working on yours now! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
Time to delve into the top 20!

20. "Driver's Seat" (Adam & Eve)

I love the numerous changes and moods this song weaves through for over 18 minutes.  Some of Zoltan Csörsz's drumming on this song is just sick, the main theme (played by Roine most of the time) is of course just magnificently triumphant, and I like how all three singers are featured at various points in the song.  I am not a big Gildenlow fan, but he does a very nice job on the opening vocal section of the song, and then Froberg and Stolt trade off lead vocals at various points the rest of the way.  On the two TFK albums that had Gildenlow, this was the only song they ever did which prominently featured singing from all three guys, but fortunately it turned out to be a major winner.

19. "Self-Consuming Fire" (Paradox Hotel)

Roine's lead, classical guitar-driven playing is full of all kinds of win, his subdued vocals are a perfect fit for the somewhat dark feel of the song, and Tomas Bodin adds plenty of great textures with lots of mellotron, which is never a bad thing.  All in all, this is another of those mood songs that the band does so well.  

18. "Ghost of the Red Cloud" (Stardust We Are)

This song has almost a whimsical feel to it at times, making it sound like one of those songs that was influenced by old school Genesis, yet it still sounds very original and not derivative at all.  I feel lucky that the only time I saw them, back in late '06, they actually played this.  It was already a favorite of mine, and seeing them knock it out of the park live merely solidified its lofty status in my eyes.

17. "A King's Prayer" (Space Revolver)

The extended guitar solo that closes this song is undoubtedly one of the best three or four solos Roine has ever played; it is just a perfect guitar solo.  The main meat of the song features plenty of wonderful melodies, and the contrast of Roine singing the verses and Froberg singing the choruses is very neat.  And you gotta love the song being closed out with the evil riff from "Monster Within" being revisited.

16. "Different People" (Stardust We Are)

Arguably the most Beatles-esque song in the band's catalog to date, this is one of my favorite TFK songs to sing along to.  All of the fills, decorations, flourishes that are constantly going on throughout this song are just so creative and inventive, it helps turn what is essentially a fairly simple song into so much more.  And the line in the second verse, "I saw them turning to the sky," is one of my favorite single line harmonies Stolt and Froberg have ever done.  I could listen to that line over and over.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
That's a great 20-16, Kev! I enjoy "Driver's Seat" a lot, and "A King's Prayer" is just AWESOME. I love the instrumental version of it from the bonus tracks. The SWA tracks are top notch as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2010, 07:35:25 PM »
Those two SWA songs are some of the better songs I've heard in my life. :tup
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
19 to 17 get major :tup from me, all such lovely songs!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2010, 03:39:14 AM »
By the way I'm starting to compile my list so I can start it reasonably soon after yours finishes, and I have a quick question about mulitple-track songs: obviously Garden of Dreams should be one song, but what about I Am the Sun?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
2 songs I'd say, judging by what Kev said about them not playing them as 1 (IIRC, although I might have just made that up).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »
Like most DT fans consider "In the Presence of Enemies" one song, and Floyd fans consider "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" one song, I consider "I Am the Sun" one song.  Good thing, too, as I would have no idea which one to rank higher. :lol

And thanks for the comments about the songs I listed last night, fellas. :tup :tup

Offline cowboymafia

• manflesh
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »
yo homies, check it, two flower kings covers coming at ya

monster within - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdmJQ5aiyo

if 28 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQznc_3Ogh4

i'll be wagering stardust we are is going to be your number 1 song big kev, but i'm afraid your list fails on account of monster within not being at least top 10. the ending solo is magical, it gives birth to stars and cures terminally ill children
i haven't had a woman in years

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
You are gonna lose that wager. :biggrin:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: June 03, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »
Yeah, after listening to disc 1 of Flower Power last night, I think that I can safely assume that "Garden of Dreams" is Kev's #1 song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
I wish I could see the looks on all of your faces when you see "Crying Clown" at number 1.  Whoops. :lol :lol

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
I wish I could see the looks on all of your faces when you see "Crying Clown" at number 1.  Whoops. :lol :lol

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:lol
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
15. "Blue Planet" (Paradox Hotel)

Gee, what a surprise: another great TFK song centered around Roine's great guitar work, his vocals, and great piano and keyboard work by Tomas Bodin.  Anyone else see a recurring theme here? ;)  Jokes aside, this song freaking rules.  The guitar lead from the end of "Monsters and Men" is reprised here, and in a most majestic and climatic way.

14. "Silent Inferno" (Unfold the Future)

Despite being a prog band, it is rare to listen to a TFK song and think, "These guys are overplaying or showing off," but there are hints of that in this song, especially in both the intro and outro.  But that's okay.  With them, it is every once in a while thing, not something they beat to death, so I don't mind them showing off their chops once in a while.  Roine's guitar solo in the middle of this song is an absolute monster, and some of Jonas Reingold's bass work is simply jaw-dropping.  

13. "Circus Brimstone" (Stardust We Are)

Hands down, the best full band instrumental they have to date.  The many moods, melodies, twists and turns, and quirks of this song all combine to make it one of the best prog rock instrumentals I have ever heard.

12. "Jealousy" (Paradox Hotel)

Yes, I really am putting this song this high.  I love every second of it.  I could listen to Tomas Bodin play stuff on the piano like that all week.  Also, I was interested to recently learn that Roine was inspired to write this song after being stung by a lot of the criticism of TFK's previous record, Adam & Eve.

11. "World of Adventures" (Back in the World of Adventures)

The first song off the first TFK album is one of their best, without a doubt.  This has to go down as one of the best first songs from a first album of all-time.  It is a genuine classic prog epic.  One of my favorite TFK moments ever is the second verse, where Roine is singing over that strumming acoustic guitar while his slide guitar plays some tasty leads in the background.  And the melody in the middle of the song, that eventually closes the song, too, is just glorious.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »
Also, being on the verge of the top 10, here are some honorable mentions, many of which hurt to leave off:

"In the Eyes of the World"
"Fast Lane"
"Just This Once"
"The Blade of Cain"
"Too Late for Tomatos"
"Compassion"
"Calling Home"
"Astral Dog"
"Theme for a Hero"
"Man of the World"
"Last Minute on Earth"
"Hit Me with a Hit"
"Painter"
And many others

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
WoA :metal

also boo for no "Compassion" or "Astral Dog"
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
What do you mean?  Those songs are honorable mentions! :p :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
What do you mean?  Those songs are honorable mentions! :p :biggrin:

They should be higher!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
And Painter! >:(

Nah this is the point of top 50s, to see how people's opinions on songs vary. Makes it more fun when not everyone agrees. :D

Interesting choices from PH there, both are songs that I really like but not necessarily among my favourites from the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
What do you mean?  Those songs are honorable mentions! :p :biggrin:

They should be higher!

I thought you were still working your way through their whole discography?  If so, how can you be sure that those songs would hold up and remain that high? ;) :p

Nah this is the point of top 50s, to see how people's opinions on songs vary. Makes it more fun when not everyone agrees. :D

Exactly. :)

Update:

10. "Stupid Girl" (Flower Power)

This being in the top 10 will shock a few, I am sure, but I have always loved this song like crazy.  TFK don't have many songs you can almost dance to, but this is one of them.  The main part of the song is just killer, and the latter half, with the extended instrumental section, is a great way to end the song, topped off by the wordless vocals at the very end, which basically amounts to humming the main melody of the song at the point of the climax.  Just incredible.

9. "Silent Sorrow" (Retropolis)

This is arguably the most important song in my development as a TFK fan.  I had bought some of their CDs in the summer of 2000, but wasn't really feeling them overall as a band; I liked most of Disc 1 of Flower Power, but Stardust We Are was a huge mountain I was having a tough time climbing, and Retropolis wasn't doing it for me either at first.  Then, one day I put Retropolis on really loud and ended up falling asleep for a bit, and when I woke up, "Silent Sorrow" was just starting and I just laid there, groggy and trying to wake back up, as this song just utterly destroyed me.  Still does, which is why it is number 9.  Also, I think the Zappa influence in Roine's writing sometimes gets overlooked, but the instrumental section is definitely Zappa-esque.

8. "Psycedelic Postcard" (Flower Power)

What a wonderfully bizarre and terrific song this is.  I'll never forget them playing this when a friend and I saw them in late '06, and my friend, noticing me rocking out and singing along, turning to me at one point and saying, "I can't believe you know all of the words to this song." :lol  The lyrics in this song are a major WTF, to say the least, but they just add to the bizarre and fun nature of the song.  The middle section, with those ridiculous harmonies and then Stolt and Froberg doing a call and response section, is easily the highlight of the song.  

I'll do a few more later today...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:59:37 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
All amazing songs! :tup I absolutely LOVE "Stupid Girl"!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
Oh, also, isn't SS on Retropolis? (Memory could just be foggy)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
Yep, I had a brain cramp when I wrote the album title next to the song title.  D'oh! :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
Two more today:

7. "What If God Is Alone" (Paradox Hotel)

I could serious write a three-page paper, where I break this song down, and talk about each individual part and why they are all so wonderful, from that haunting fade-in, to those hypnotic melodic vocal lines in the verses, to that gorgeous chorus, to that orgasmic outro.  It's all just so, so wonderful!  I should point out, too, that some of my favorite keyboard sounds can be heard in this song, as always played marvelously by Tomas Bodin.

6. "Stardust We Are" (Stardust We Are)

If you want a blueprint for writing a symphonic prog epic, look no further than "Stardust We Are," a song with so much awesomeness, it almost seems too good to be true.  I probably don't have to say much about this song, as anyone who is a fan of the band already, probably is already nutty over this song, and knows what the score is. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Only number 6?! ;)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
Two more today:

7. "What If God Is Alone" (Paradox Hotel)

I could serious write a three-page paper, where I break this song down, and talk about each individual part and why they are all so wonderful, from that haunting fade-in, to those hypnotic melodic vocal lines in the verses, to that gorgeous chorus, to that orgasmic outro.  It's all just so, so wonderful!  I should point out, too, that some of my favorite keyboard sounds can be heard in this song, as always played marvelously by Tomas Bodin.

6. "Stardust We Are" (Stardust We Are)

If you want a blueprint for writing a symphonic prog epic, look no further than "Stardust We Are," a song with so much awesomeness, it almost seems too good to be true.  I probably don't have to say much about this song, as anyone who is a fan of the band already, probably is already nutty over this song, and knows what the score is. 

I love Love LOVE "What If God Is Alone". Probably my second or third favorite song on Paradox Hotel. Is this your highest ranking PH song in your Top 50, Kev?

Also, if "Stardust We Are" is only number 6, the top 5 must be truly epic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
Honestly, 6 is a good spot for SWA. There's better songs by this band. Good job Kev. :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
Only number 6?! ;)

Actually, it was number 10 on my original rough draft, but I moved songs up and down a few notches as I went along (until I posted them, in which case the songs listed were then locked in at those spots), and it eventually ended up at number 6.  It could have conceivably have fallen out of the top 10, had my mood been slightly different. ;)

I love Love LOVE "What If God Is Alone". Probably my second or third favorite song on Paradox Hotel. Is this your highest ranking PH song in your Top 50, Kev?

No. :)

Also, if "Stardust We Are" is only number 6, the top 5 must be truly epic.

It definitely is. :hat

Good job Kev. :tup

:coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »
Two more right now:

5. "Big Puzzle" (Back in the World of Adventures)

This is one of those TFK songs that most seem to like a lot, but it almost never seems to get talked about, which is a shame, as I feel it is one of their best, obviously, given its placement here at number 5.  To bow down to Roine's vocals yet again :p, I love when he rolls his 'r's, and when he rolls it during the "this puzzle grand" near the end of the song, that gives me goosebumps each and every time I hear it.  This is definitely one of their more laid back epics, featuring some great bluesy guitar work, some cool sax playing, and plenty of great piano and keyboard textures.  Simply put, TFK has never been a band that has to rock to be great, and this song is definitive proof of that.

4. "Devil's Playground" (Unfold the Future)

On the flip side, this song flat-out rocks for much of the way.  The main riff is in a dead heat with "Monster Within" for nastiest TFK riff ever, and the section that kicks in just shy of the 10:30 is so evil, you gotta love it, when it veers from it slightly and then kicks back in (at the 11:39 mark), that is a great dynamic shift.  They could have formed an entire instrumental section around that part of the song, and I would have been thrilled to death with it.  And the ending...too good for words.  I have never been shy about saying that I am not a big fan of Gildenlow's singing, but he nails the end of this song perfectly, and the instrumental outro is perfect, with Roine's lead guitar shining, and Jonas Reingold's bass carving out all kinds of awesomeness.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
Once again listening to disc 1 of Flower Power.

All I can say is :hefdaddy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Two more:

3. "End on a High Note" (Paradox Hotel)

The first time I heard this song, I knew it was an instant classic, and knew it would be a TFK song that could possibly convert many over.  In fact, I recommended this song to anyone and everyone who would listen.  Even those who weren't fans, I was like, "Check out this song; it will make you a fan!"  That is how hard I fell for it immediately.  And four years later, it is still just as incredible.  To me, it sounds like music you would be listening to when you are waking up first thing in the morning as the sun is rising.  It just has that feeling of light getting brighter, the day starting, rain turning to sunshine, etc.  That might sound corny, but listen to the song, and you will hear what I mean. 

2. "I Am the Sun" (Space Revolver)

Busted up into two parts, Part I opening the CD and Part II closing it, ala Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," "I Am the Sun" is one of the most incredible achievements in progressive rock history. 

Part I starts off rather conventionally, with a somewhat extended intro, before busting into verse-chorus-verse-chorus, and then the songs gets a little crazy.  "I left my heart in San Francisco."  Gotta love that quirky little bit being thrown.  The song then delves back into some frantic pacing, and finally ends with an extended, and utterly gorgeous, acoustic-driven section, which features some terrific singing by Roine Stolt and some tasty bass playing by Jonas Reingodl, who was making his debut as TFK's bass player.

Part II begins where Part I left off, with that acoustic fade-out fading back in, leading right into one of the most beautiful sections the band has ever done; it is literally impossible for me to listen to the first few minutes of this song without singing along.  Two great solos, one on the sax, one on the guitar, leads back into the main "I Am the Sun" chorus, before the song finally climaxes for good with a majestic ending worthy of any of their 70s influences. 

All in all, this is nearly 26 minutes of perfection.

Number one is coming shortly, and I am sure fans following this know what it will be, but the write-up won't be short, so I have to get it all nice and ready. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »
Two amazing songs. This list is phenomenal Kev.

The writeup for GoD better be good! :lol
space cadet, pull out.