Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230903 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (with Top 50 countdown now going!)
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
That's funny I do the same thing to my lists  :biggrin: :lol

Heh.  It is hard not to, though, with so many great songs!

Listened to Unfold the Future and Space Revolver at work today. SO MUCH GREAT MUSIC. :D

:hat

I listened to UTF this morning in it's entirety... amazing album. Although when looking at my iPod, I realized I haven't listened to it a lot, or in awhile, and that both Adam & Eve and Paradox Hotel had A LOT more play counts than UTF.

Choosing UTF over PH was a VERY hard decision in the Five Albums thread, but really, I could pick either depending on my mood. I've just been in more of a mood that UTF reflects than PH... although coming off my recent Marillion-kick, PH might be exactly what I should be listening to! (I'm going off to put PH on as soon as I finish spinning Spock's Beard's X).

-Marc.

I think some of the first disc of UtF is a little weak, but it is still a very strong album overall.  I don't think it touches PH, however. ;)

And when I saw your top 5 have 6DOIT, UtF and Snow, it reminded of how 2002 was like the year of the prog double album.  I remember several of the forums I posted at at the time all talking about which of the three was the best.  It's still a pretty tough call for me.

Just ordered Flower Power off of Amazon.  It'll be my second FK album, my first being Space Revolver.  I'm pumped to hear it.

Nice!  I would tackle them one disc at a time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
Update:

45. "Elaine" (The Rainmaker)

This song being in here is probably a curve ball for some, but I have always loved it.  I love those simple, beautiful TFK songs that Roine sings (as opposed to Froberg, who can sometimes make them sound a bit too wussy, "Vox Humana" being a fine example of this).  Despite the simplicity of this song, there is some amazing bass work in this tune, and the outro featuring the soprano sax is just amazing. 

44. "Don of the Universe" (Stardust We Are)

I was iffy on this song making it initially, but then I listened to it and was like, how can this not make it?  It is centered around the main theme of the Disc 2 of the album, but with the acoustic and a sitar (or possibly a sitar sample :p) taking center stage.  Their ability to pull of this song so well speaks volumes to how musical the band really is.

43. Man Overboard (Unfold the Future)

To me, Tomas Bodin's work in this song makes it.  Roine Stolt deservedly gets a ton of credit for how great this band is, but Bodin is extremely important, as well; his keyboard work is just as much of their sound as Roine's guitar is.  I love how his sounds in this song really give you that feeling like you are listening to a song that is music to a movie soundtrack about a ship lost at sea, hence the title, "Man Overboard."

42. "Lucy Had a Dream" (Paradox Hotel)

The first in that line of darker songs from the latter half of Disc 1 of PH, this song was an instant winner with me.  From the opening drum fills to the piano flourishes to the slide guitar leads, everything about this song creates a vibe that I just love to death.  The Flower Kings often do a great job at making a rather simple song still sound proggy, while still keeping their playing restrained, and nowhere is this more evident than here.  The psychedelic ending to the song is just killer, too.

41. "Underdog" (Space Revolver)

A prog band starting a song with bagpipes?  Whoever heard of such a thing?!  Well, this is the Flower Kings, and they are always doing different and odd things within the context of their symphonic prog sound.  This is probably one of the more hard rocking songs in their catalog, as it features a pretty hard-hitting pace, and the outro is probably about as close to metal as they have ever gotten.  And despite all of that, plenty of gorgeous vocal harmonies are aplenty.  And how about those samples at the end?  "How can you possibly fit all of that in your mouth?" :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
Yay for Lucy and Don, two great songs! :)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
Well, since this isn't generating the discussion I had hoped for, I will probably do the rest of the list a lot quicker and do a lot shorter write-ups, or maybe even just list the songs without any kind of write-up.  I guess there just aren't enough TFK fans here.  Blah. :sad:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »
I'm interested in seeing the rest of your list.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
I've been checking this thread regularly Kev!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
I'm interested in seeing the rest of your list.

:tup :tup

I've been checking this thread regularly Kev!

Oh, I know.  I was just hoping for more actual discussion of the songs I have been listing.  I know TFK isn't gonna generate discussion like some of the more popular bands around here, but jeez.  I guess I should temper my expectations. :censored :lol :facepalm:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the band so I haven't rally had much to comment on but I am reading.

You might get more traffic with your own thread.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
Yeah, as I've said before, I only have one TFK album right now, so I haven't had much to comment on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
40. "Minor Giant Steps" (Paradox Hotel)

The Yes influence is quite prevalent at times with TFK, and this song is one where it is on full display, especially in those gorgeous vocal harmonies.  This song reminds me so much of summer, as Disc 2 of PH was what I always listened to on the way home from college in the summer of '06, and this being the first song on that disc, it always kicked things off.  That was a great summer. :coolio

39. "The Melting Pot" (Retropolis)

I think it is only fair to include the "Romancing in the City" solo piano piece with this, as they run together, and that is like the intro to "The Melting Pot."  This is another song where the soprano sax is featured, this time playing the lead melody for much of the tune.  A great instrumental, this is.

38. "Pioneers of Aviation" (Paradox Hotel)

Yet another instrumental, I like how the song teases you with the main melody, played softly at the beginning, before going into an extended intro, and finally having the main melody kick in full force on the guitar.  The pacing of this tune is just immaculate.

37. "Genie in a Bottle" (Unfold the Future)

How can you not love a song with so much gorgeous mellotron work?  A very rhythmic song, "Genie in a Bottle" has tons of little quirky things that make it so great.  I love the subtle little sax parts during the second verse; when it bubbles up suddenly during the "Hush, little baby, don't you cry" line, that is killer stuff.

36. "There Is More to This World" (Retropolis)

This is hands down one of the band's definitive songs.  It has everything in it that makes the band so great: wonderful melodies, a great chorus, wonderful two-part vocal interplay, great instrumentation, and a memorable and positive vibe.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
Gaah MGS and TIMTTW should be higher! PoA is in a good spot though :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
Gaah MGS and TIMTTW should be higher! PoA is in a good spot though :tup

I agree! But I think "Pioneers" could've been a bit higher... it's one of my favorite pieces off of Paradox Hotel, and among all TFK instrumentals in general!

Anyways, I look forward to seeing your top 20 and top 10, Kev!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »

The Yes influence is quite prevalent at times with TFK, and this song is one where it is on full display, especially in those gorgeous vocal harmonies.  This song reminds me so much of summer, as Disc 2 of PH was what I always listened to on the way home from college in the summer of '06, and this being the first song on that disc, it always kicked things off.  That was a great summer. :coolio
I just absolutely love this song.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »

It is wonderful, isn't it? :)

Anyways, I look forward to seeing your top 20 and top 10, Kev!

Right on! :tup :tup

Gaah MGS and TIMTTW should be higher!

Perhaps. :biggrin:

Actually, having listened to TFK all week, I am kicking myself for leaving several songs off, but there is no way I can adjust my list and work them in now, as everything left is too good and too essential to take off....so I guess those songs will have to settle for being honorable mentions.  Gah. :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
Well to be fair, there are certainly way more than 50 TFK songs that deserve a place in the top 10.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
Well to be fair, there are certainly way more than 50 TFK songs that deserve a place in the top 10.

True that.  

Not to turn this thread negative, but the list of TFK songs that wouldn't have a prayer of making my top 50 is much easier to make (not counting the short little interlude songs, like on SWA, or intro songs, like what starts off PH):

"One More Time"
"Starlight Man"
"Sword of God"
"Vox Humana"

That's it.  That's the list.

Now, turning this back to the positive, it is nice how well A&E as a whole has aged.  Okay, "Starlight Man" is weak (thanks to that wussy chorus) and the title track is somewhat of a WTF, but the rest is really good.  And it sounds terrific.  The bass sounds very rich and thick, the drums sound just awesome, and the overall balance is perfect.  I wish the earlier CDs (which sound really good, even still) sounded that good.  A&E is still only my 8th favorite TFK CD, and has only three songs in this top 50, but it is a lot better CD than most, including myself, thought it was at first.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
35. "Serious Dreamers" (The Rainmaker)

I can honestly say that this has always been my favorite song from that CD, and I don't see that ever changing. This is just a terrific song, replete with great harmonies, dazzling keyboard lines, and an outro to die for.  Seriously, that outro is by far the highlight of not only the song, but of the whole album; just a terrific way to end a CD.  And for some reason, this song always reminds me of the ocean...probably because part of the main line sounds like "California dreaming" as opposed to the real line, "...can't afford the dreaming." :lol

34. "The Merrygoround" (Stardust We Are)

Considering what a fun song this is, the title is very fitting.  Roine Stolt's Steve Howe-like guitar leads are absolutely dynamite, and I love the fast-paced section following the second chorus: "Number ten, lost again!"  And the mellow second half of the song is just beautiful.

33. "Touch My Heaven" (Paradox Hotel)

It's all about the guitar solo.  That guitar solo.  It ought to be put in a time capsule for music fans hundreds of years from now to listen to.  It is that good.  And the meat of the song is great, too, a rare solo composition by Tomas Bodin.

32. "The Road Back Home" (Retropolis)

I am always a fan of songs that are acoustic guitar-driven, and this song is no exception.  The keyboard solo in the middle of the song sounds like something out of a classic Genesis song: graceful and perfectly-placed in the song, and with a gorgeous pace and vibe.  And the climatic ending is another classic TFK gorgeous finale.

31. "Love Supreme" (Adam & Eve)

I have to admit that this song took quite a while to grow on me, as I thought some of the melodies were a bit too pretty at first, especially the one that opens the song, but one day, the light bulb went on, and all of a sudden, it was a major winner for me.  The Yes-like chorus is terrific, and when Roine takes over the lead vocals about halfway through, the song really takes off.  A&E is a fantastic "sounding" CD, and this song really benefits from the great production job.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

The Yes influence is quite prevalent at times with TFK, and this song is one where it is on full display, especially in those gorgeous vocal harmonies.  This song reminds me so much of summer, as Disc 2 of PH was what I always listened to on the way home from college in the summer of '06, and this being the first song on that disc, it always kicked things off.  That was a great summer. :coolio
Completely this, definitely one of my favourites from the album. It always makes me feel really happy whenever I hear it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »

I just absolutely love this song.  :tup
Completely this, definitely one of my favourites from the album. It always makes me feel really happy whenever I hear it.

I just recently got into the band, and this is one of the songs I keep crawling back to. :biggrin:

*miiiinor giant stepps*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Lots of love for "Minor Giant Steps," I see.  Nice. :tup :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
Nice to see The Merrygoround, Touch My Heaven and The Road Back Home make your list, all stellar tunes! :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
Yes, they are. :)

30. "The Judas Kiss" (Retropolis)

When I first got into this band, this struck me as being a song that was likely one of the band's signature songs, and it seemed like they played it a lot live back in the 90s, but in the 00s, it barely got played, so I was kind of thrown by that.  Either way, terrific song.  I know it is getting redundant, talking about how great Roine Stolt's guitar work is, but this is another one that stands out in a catalog filled with mostly standout performances, if you know what I mean.

29. "Solitary Shell" (Unfold the Future)

Not that I want the band to overdo this particular kind of song, but I wish they had more songs like this: Roine's voice and a piano as the two main things we hear.  The combination of the two is immediate win.  I am so glad Roine sang this song instead of Froberg; this song would probably register on the map for me if it were the other way around.  Songs like this are why I am such a big fan of Roine's vocals.

28. "Life Will Kill You" (Paradox Hotel)

Hands down, one of the best intros of any TFK song.  The way it builds up, with the dirty electric, the acoustic guitar, and the "aaaaahh"s is just amazing.  Really, the rest of the song had a lot to live up to, given how amazing the intro is, and it mostly lived up to it.  The verses are kind of awkward, but the chorus is good enough, and the music is more than good enough to make this a TFK classic, that intro notwithstanding.

27. "Deaf, Numb & Blind" (Flower Power)

This will sound strange, but when I first bought Flower Power in the summer of '00, I didn't bother listening to anything from Disc 2 until the summer of '01, and when I did, this being the first song, it was like, "Woah, what have I been missing out on?"!  This is the first of three songs from Disc 2 to appear in this top 50, and it is more than deserving of being a top 30 song; it is symphonic prog at its finest.

26. "Monster Within" (Space Revolver)

This is kind of an atypical TFK song - it is somewhat disjointed and the main riff is heavy and nasty - yet it works.  Some of the melodies in this song are the strongest ones on Space Revolver.  The bass line Jonas Reingold plays underneath that main melody (which rules) shortly after the 9-minute mark is rad as hell. "...built this monster from WITHIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNN!" :coolio

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:58:36 AM by KevShmev »

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
"Monster Within" might be my favorite song on SR.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
Totally agree of "Life Will Kill You". I'd probably have it in my top 15, it's one of my favorite songs by them!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2010, 02:13:35 AM »
I've had two album by these for a while but never gave them my full attention. I had 'Adam and Eve' and 'Space Revolver'. I wasn't a massive fan after checking out A&E, in fact I actually disliked them, so shamefully I ignored them and continued my massive obsession with Spock's Beard.

Saturday night I decided to go for it again and try out 'Space Revolver'. I was blown away, literally. I haven't stopped listening to it since! I've just read through this thread so I'll be looking to get some more albums in the very near future.

Oh and please continue this top 50, I'm reading!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »
I've had two album by these for a while but never gave them my full attention. I had 'Adam and Eve' and 'Space Revolver'. I wasn't a massive fan after checking out A&E, in fact I actually disliked them, so shamefully I ignored them and continued my massive obsession with Spock's Beard.

Saturday night I decided to go for it again and try out 'Space Revolver'. I was blown away, literally. I haven't stopped listening to it since! I've just read through this thread so I'll be looking to get some more albums in the very near future.

Oh and please continue this top 50, I'm reading!

Definitely go with Stardust We Are, Paradox Hotel, Flower Power and Retropolis next! Glad someone else is getting into them!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
Yeah, do what Quad said. :tup :tup

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
I will! Listening to Space Revolver again at the moment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
I will! Listening to Space Revolver again at the moment.

Good to hear! :)

Also, while I like A&E a lot, it was a very slow grower for me, as it was for many other fans, too.  In fact, it was criticized pretty heavily when it first came out (which stung Roine Stolt pretty hard, from what he now says), but many have grown to really like it, myself included.  The gist of it is, focus on other CDs to get into them, and save that one for waaaaaay later.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
Space Revolver is amazing, probably the album that has grown on me more than any other FK album (tied with Paradox Hotel) maybe. Just incredible stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »

I thought some of the melodies were a bit too pretty at first, especially the one that opens the song,production job.
Dude, that's like what they do  :lol

TFK = pretty melodies (or at least damn good one's).
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:47 PM »
Flower Power just arrived in the mail! :caffeine:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »

I thought some of the melodies were a bit too pretty at first, especially the one that opens the song,production job.
Dude, that's like what they do  :lol

TFK = pretty melodies (or at least damn good one's).

I think I am aware of that. ;)

But there is a difference between music that is beautiful and music that is a bit too pretty.  They on rare occasions cross over into the latter, usually when Froberg is singing over a melody that is on the fence between the two (and his voice takes it over the edge).

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2010, 08:08:57 PM »
Flower Power just arrived in the mail! :caffeine:

Nice dude! Enjoy "Garden of Dreams", it's their best song.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
25. "Chicken Farmer Song" (Space Revolver)

Talk about a song that is just fun as hell!  This song fits that to a 't.'  This was one of my early favorites when I first got into the band, and it is obviously still a favorite.  I love the way Roine enunciates some of the lines in this song..."drift into the silent summer."  I am a big fan of the way Roine sometimes says the "-er" syllable and that line there is a clear example of what I am talking about.

24. "Monsters and Men" (Paradox Hotel)

It still shocks me that Roine Stolt feels this song didn't up being very good, but he has said that he could have arranged it better, and that certain members of the band didn't like it that much, so it didn't have full support when recording it.  I say, "Hogwash!"  I think it is most excellent the way it is.  I love Tomas Bodin's piano work throughout this song, especially in those big chords he plays near the end before the long guitar-driven outro.  I love that kind of piano work.

23. "Retropolis" (Retropolis)

This is what you call a symphonic prog rock instrumental masterpiece.  It is perfect in every way possible, from the gorgeous keyboard work, to Roine's guitar leads, to the acoustic ending. 

22. "Poor Mr. Rain's Ordinary Guitar"/"The Man Who Walked with Kings" (Stardust We Are)

And look at that: Another great instrumental, albeit a very different one.  I put these two songs together, as it is hard to imagine one without the other.  Some fabulous acoustic guitar work going on here, and that melodic lead that caps off the song just screams of prog.

21. "Rhythm of the Sea" (Retropolis)

I love the distant and cold feel of this song.  The vocals sounds very far away and weary both at the same time.  It sounds like a song you would listen to a cold and snowy day.  Quite a contrast to the "typical" TFK song, but doing different types of songs, and doing them well, has always been a strength of the band's.