Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230863 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
Tonight I think I shall try Paradox Hotel.

I've been saving it, knowing that everyone loves it, so hopefully it can hold up to what everyone has said about it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
Paradox Hotel is too great for words. :)

But to say a few :p, I love that most of the songs on that record were written on a piano and/or an acoustic.  It gives them a more organic feel, and the melodies are glorious.  It makes for an overall more enjoyable melodic journey, I think.  :coolio
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:45:52 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
I.. I'm lost for words. You were right Kev, this album is just.. wow.

I think "End on a High Note" is leaving me teary eyed because it's just so happy and beautiful.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »
 :) :) :)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:12 AM »
I've been warming up to them too. I'm not anywhere as into them as Quadrochosis is, but I do like what I've heard so far.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
Oh, and Quad, a few years ago, a friend got married and had "End on a High Note" play at this wedding reception.  Pretty rad, eh?  I pretty much went apeshit over that song from the very first time I heard it, and still consider it one of my four or favorite TFK songs. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Oh, and Quad, a few years ago, a friend got married and had "End on a High Note" play at this wedding reception.  Pretty rad, eh?  I pretty much went apeshit over that song from the very first time I heard it, and still consider it one of my four or favorite TFK songs. :)

Yea, I think I've listened to it about 10 times today. It's just uncomprehendingly good.

BTW, what's the deal with "Bavarian Skies"?
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »

Yea, I think I've listened to it about 10 times today. It's just uncomprehendingly good.

Ahhh good old "Bavarian Skies"... AFAIK, it doesn't reflect anything by Roine or the band. It's just another part of the story/concept that they decided to throw in there. I get a bit of chills hearing it, it's so strange and unusual, but then again, the album itself is so diverse and such a grab-bad of musical genres and styles while still being within the realm of symphonic progressive rock.

As for Paradox Hotel, it took me a couple years for it to click. After it came out, being the first new album by the band after I became a fan, I wasn't too enthralled. Perhaps it was because I fell in love with their older sound, the most 70's-inspired symphonic prog rock, and PH was a bit too different sounding for me... but as the years have gone on, it's grown and I love pretty much EVERY minute of the album. The opening epic "Monsters And Men" is so great, and I love hearing those themes again in "Blue Planet"! The other opening and closing numbers are amazing as well ("End On A High Note" and "Minor Giant Steps").

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
Just spun PH again, I'm getting to know the songs better, and the experience is only getting better with that!

EDIT: Giving Flower Power another spin tonight, the title track is still a large leap for me, but I will learn it over time!

This band is becoming an instant favorite, where does everyone else rank them amongst their top bands?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:25:01 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »

IIRC, it is supposed to be in the first person of a character staying at the hotel.  I like the experimental and dark nature of the song.  The music at the end is gorgeous, and is a great segueway into "Self-Consuming Fire," which is one of my favorites from PH. :)

As for Paradox Hotel, it took me a couple years for it to click. After it came out, being the first new album by the band after I became a fan, I wasn't too enthralled. Perhaps it was because I fell in love with their older sound, the most 70's-inspired symphonic prog rock, and PH was a bit too different sounding for me... but as the years have gone on, it's grown and I love pretty much EVERY minute of the album. The opening epic "Monsters And Men" is so great, and I love hearing those themes again in "Blue Planet"! The other opening and closing numbers are amazing as well ("End On A High Note" and "Minor Giant Steps").

Honestly, as really good as "Monsters and Men" and "Minor Giant Steps" both are, I love the fact that most of the strongest songs on PH are not the longest ones.  I adore the beauty and simplicity of "Jealousy," I love the laid back nature of the bulk of the latter half of Disc 1, and "What If God is Alone?" is easily one of the best songs the band has ever done (along with "End of a High Note").

This band is becoming an instant favorite, where does everyone else rank them amongst their top bands?

Top 5 all-time for me.  In fact, on some days, they inch ahead of Floyd into number 3, but they usually sit around number 4 or 5.  :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:18 AM »
It's incredible, that's what's up with it! It's probably one of my favourites off the album, just so eerie and full of atmosphere.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
The pacing of that block of songs on Disc 1 is tremendous.  "Bavarian Skies," "Self-Consuming Fire" and "Mommy, Leave the Light On" are all pretty laid back and rather dark, especially for them.  It is almost like someone listening to music late at night all the way through dawn while drifting in and out of sleep, and then "End of a High Note" is the sun and early morning fully waking you up. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »

-Marc.

I think I'm experiencing the same feelings you had with Paradox Hotel.  For all the praise it gets about having shorter songs and being more accessible, I'm having a much more difficult time getting into it than I've had with Stardust We Are, Adam & Eve, Flower Power, Unfold the Future, The Rainmaker or Space Revolver.    
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
The pacing of that block of songs on Disc 1 is tremendous.  "Bavarian Skies," "Self-Consuming Fire" and "Mommy, Leave the Light On" are all pretty laid back and rather dark, especially for them.  It is almost like someone listening to music late at night all the way through dawn while drifting in and out of sleep, and then "End of a High Note" is the sun and early morning fully waking you up. 
That's an awesome and very fitting analogy. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
That's an awesome and very fitting analogy. :tup

Thanks!  And to think, I came up with that all on my own!  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »
Sat on a train listening to Paradox Hotel and being reminded how lovely Minor Giant Steps is. It's just so... nice! Listening to it always makes me feel happy.

I be am boner inducing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
So I just did some math, and added up the album-lengths of each of the 10 official TFK albums as well as Roine's The Flower King... and my total for all 11 albums (released over 13 years from 1994-2007), came to 19:40:05 (hrs/mins/sec). That's a LOT of music to release in 13 years.

Now when I did the counts, I added bonus tracks released on various release:
Retropolis-session outtakes: "Kite" and "Buffalo Man"
Flower Power: 4 Bonus Tracks on a Japanese release
Space Revolver: 5 Bonus Tracks on a Japanese release + 3-Song EP ("She Carved Me A Wooden Heart", "Space Revolver" and "Jupiter Backwards")
The Rainmaker: Limited Edition Bonus Disc
Unfold The Future: "Too Late For Tomatoes"
The Sum Of No Evil: Special Edition Bonus Disc

And by now, this is the longest break between studio albums - three years currently. Unfortunately, it might be another year or more til we see more TFK. With Roine being busy with AOM and the TA tour this year, and Jonas reportedly going to start recording a new Karmakanic album last this year, and Hasse Fröberg will probably want to tour for his upcoming new band's album, FuturePast by Hasse Fröberg and the Musical Companion. That leaves Tomas who, apparently has had some things going on with Roine, which may or may not have led to this unplanned hiatus... but I'm sure while the other Kings are busy with other projects, Tomas will (and hopefully) be working on his follow-up to YOU ARE, HE SHE IT IS with his "new band", Eggs & Dogs.

There's been a lot of hope at the official TFK message board that the Kings would reconvene later this year, but with Jonas' plans, I highly doubt it, and with as much as Roine likes to do and keep busy, I'm sure he'll probably want to tour for the upcoming Agents Of Mercy album (maybe tour with Hasse Fröberg too? That'd be nice!).

I *really* hope that Roine might at least consider releasing the recorded DVD from the TSONE tour a couple years ago with Pat Mastelotto on drums, just to tide over TFK fans this year. I'd buy it in a heartbeat since we haven't had a TFK release since 2008's Carpe Diem - Live In USA 2006. This leaves 2009 as the one of the few years (since 1994) without an official TFK release (1998 and 2005 being the others, but 1998 had Édition Limitée Québec, technically). I don't want to go another year without a TFK release!

-Marc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »

-Marc.
Never been a huge fan of Paradox Hotel. Not entirely sure why but it is, compared to everything else they've done, at the bottom of the list. It's good, but overrated.

I think I'm experiencing the same feelings you had with Paradox Hotel.  For all the praise it gets about having shorter songs and being more accessible, I'm having a much more difficult time getting into it than I've had with Stardust We Are, Adam & Eve, Flower Power, Unfold the Future, The Rainmaker or Space Revolver.    
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
Listened to a lot of TFK on my trip, especially the plane rides.

On the way back the entire flight was basically filled by my listening to Paradox Hotel and Flower Power.
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
Roine posted on his Facebook page today that the sessions for Agents Of Mercy 2 are well underway and working out great! He also said that after that album is done, and the TA Whirld Tour is over, he'll probably tour for AOM again later this year.

He also said he plans to go forward with his guitar-album project and his symphonic-album project, which have both been part of his ideas in the last couple of years. It almost saddens me that he is putting TFK further on the back-burner in favor for his side-projects/solo-albums, but I know he's probably got a LOT of great ideas to put out.. just not with TFK, it seems.

Kind of sad, but we'll surely be getting more from Roine this year (as if 3 albums last year wasn't enough between TA, 3WE and AOM), so I'm not entirely upset about that. Along with new Karmakanic and Hasse Fröberg And The Musical Companion, we'll be getting a LOT of TFK-related things this year. I hope Tomas Bodin takes this time to do something as well.

Between DT's unplanned hiatus and this, I'm a bit upset that two of my favorite bands most likely won't be recording an album this year. On the other hand, Spock's Beard and Rush are releasing new albums, so I'm quite happy about that!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
I wish I could get excited about the Angels of Mercy stuff, but the singer's voice just grated on me, and I couldn't get into that first CD, so if he using the same singer, then I doubt I will have much interest in it.  Roine's other side projects will always interest me, though.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
Been listening to Flower Power a lot lately, "Garden of Dreams" is hands down their best song that I've heard so far.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
You won't hear anything better.  That is their best work to date.  Nearly an hour of absolute musical perfection.  :hat

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
You won't hear anything better.  That is their best work to date.  Nearly an hour of absolute musical perfection.  :hat

Yea, your really not exaggerating either, it's simply a wonderful experience.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
So is there any particular reason that "I Am The Sun" has twice the amount of listens on last.fm as every other song (almost combined)?

I'm listening to it, and while good, it's certainly not as good as a bunch of their other songs, even ones that are much shorter, which would be typical for the average listener to like more.

That only leaves me guessing that maybe the song was part of a compilation or in a movie or something which is why it has so many more plays than everything else the band has done.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
I lol everytime I see this name

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
So is there any particular reason that "I Am The Sun" has twice the amount of listens on last.fm as every other song (almost combined)?

I'm listening to it, and while good, it's certainly not as good as a bunch of their other songs, even ones that are much shorter, which would be typical for the average listener to like more.

That only leaves me guessing that maybe the song was part of a compilation or in a movie or something which is why it has so many more plays than everything else the band has done.

That does seem odd.  Maybe a listener or two is intentionally listening to it a lot, to jack up the overall plays?  Seems crazy, but people are weird with that stuff sometimes.  I just can't see why that one song, as good as it is, would be so much higher than everything else.  ???

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
I gave Retropolis another listen last night. It's been a long time since I've spun this album. I almost forgot how good of an album it is. Rhythm of the Sea = Complete and utter win.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
I gave Retropolis another listen last night. It's been a long time since I've spun this album. I almost forgot how good of an album it is. Rhythm of the Sea = Complete and utter win.

That's so strange because I listened to it last night too, it's probably my favorite single disc TFK album.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
I think Space Revolver is a little better, but Retropolis, which is definitely awesome, would still be my 2nd favorite single TFK record.

And yes, "Rhythm of the Sea" is tremendous.  I love the acoustic guitar and the vocals in that song.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2010, 06:09:36 AM »
I think Space Revolver is a little better, but Retropolis, which is definitely awesome, would still be my 2nd favorite single TFK record.

And yes, "Rhythm of the Sea" is tremendous.  I love the acoustic guitar and the vocals in that song.

Yea I'd agree that SR is awesome too, definitely number 2 on the list of single records for me.

They definitely have a knack for really making double albums well, as I enjoy most of their double stuff more than the single stuff. (Although "Unfold The Future" hasn't really clicked for me yet)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
OK I think I am about ready to do a album ranking. This is obviously going to change as I become more fully knowledgeable of their music but here goes nothing:

1. Stardust We Are*
2. Flower Power*
3. Paradox Hotel*
4. Retropolis
5. Space Revolver
6. Back In The World of Adventure
7. Unfold The Future*
8. Adam & Eve
9. The Sum Of No Evil
10. The Rainmaker

* - double album

That being said, "Garden of Dreams" is definitely my favorite song by them, I just think that overall SWA is better.

For some reason, The Rainmaker hasn't really clicked with me at all yet, so I'm not sure if it's too low at the moment.
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
OK I think I am about ready to do a album ranking. This is obviously going to change as I become more fully knowledgeable of their music but here goes nothing:

1. Stardust We Are*
2. Flower Power*
3. Paradox Hotel*
4. Retropolis
5. Space Revolver
6. Back In The World of Adventure
7. Unfold The Future*
8. Adam & Eve
9. The Sum Of No Evil
10. The Rainmaker

* - double album

That being said, "Garden of Dreams" is definitely my favorite song by them, I just think that overall SWA is better.

For some reason, The Rainmaker hasn't really clicked with me at all yet, so I'm not sure if it's too low at the moment.

This looks pretty good and normal for many TFK fans, so I think your preference for their longer albums/songs is right up there with most of the band's followers. I'd say my list is comparable to yours, and I do find that A&E, TSONE and TR are often near the bottom of people's rankings. It might be coincidence that they are the band's latter single-disc releases, but they often seem to polarize fans - you either hate them or love them, esp with A&E and TR. With TSONE, it's a bit more mixed, and I've grown to love it, actually, and took me less time for it to "click" with me than the other two, althgouh I now love A&E! The Rainmaker still feels a bit average to me, but there are some enjoyable tracks on it (opening and closing songs to name a couple).

I'm also glad to see you've put PH up so high at number 3! It definitely rotates in my TFK top 3, along with SWA and UTF. Flower Power is really good, but I haven't really connected TOO much with it, beyond "Garden Of Dreams", but I was listening to it a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it start to finish, so it may rank around 5 or 6 for me. I still find their first two albums to be particularly great, and concise too.

Also, Quadrochosis, have you had a chance to listen to Roine Stolt's The Flower King and/or Hydrophonia? The former is the pre-TFK album that is filled with some great tunes, and the latter is a TFK-esque instrumental album. I highly suggest those two as well.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »
Cannot argue with those rankings one bit.  Even though my specific order would be slightly different, 1-3, 4-7, and 8-10 are all the same tiers I would have them in. :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »
Mine would be something like this (although it changes quite often):

1. Stardust We Are*
2. Space Revolver
3. Paradox Hotel*
4. The Rainmaker
5. Flower Power*
6. Unfold The Future*
7. Retropolis
8. Adam & Eve
9. The Sum Of No Evil
10. Back In The World of Adventure

I be am boner inducing.