Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230824 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »
I just realized that TFK are really enjoyable if you play them LOUD.

"Don of the Universe" is playing right now and this band is suddenly clicking for me.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
I spent all of last summer just listening to Flower Power and Stardust We Are, and I love them now.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
I was going to listen to Flower Power right now, but I think an hour long opener is a bit too much for someone just getting into them, so I chose The Sum of No Evil. I'm digging it so far.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »
No, it doesn't feel like an hour long opener at all.
It was the second song by the flower kings that I heard. And it got me hooked.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2010, 04:38:05 AM »
I was going to listen to Flower Power right now, but I think an hour long opener is a bit too much for someone just getting into them, so I chose The Sum of No Evil. I'm digging it so far.
I'd say that's one of their weaker albums.

I know Kev isn't much of a fan of it, but I think Rainmaker is a really good introduction to the band. It's only a single disc, there isn't too much depth or weirdness to it, just a load of really good rock songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2010, 06:49:27 AM »
"Don of the Universe" is playing right now and this band is suddenly clicking for me.
One of my favorite songs of theirs. It's tasty. Love it.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2010, 08:50:50 AM »
I know Kev isn't much of a fan of it, but I think Rainmaker is a really good introduction to the band. It's only a single disc, there isn't too much depth or weirdness to it, just a load of really good rock songs.

Could not disagree more.  I know several who started off with that album in the past and weren't eager to go any further, because of how underwhelming it was.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
How do these crazy kids sound? I've heard their name bandied about a fair bit, but never really checked them out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
I'm actually having zero trouble getting into Stardust We Are, Kev. This album is phenomenal.

But then again I had very little trouble getting into Tales From Topographic Oceans.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
I'm actually having zero trouble getting into Stardust We Are, Kev. This album is phenomenal.
I didn't have any trouble with it, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
I didn't have any trouble with it, either.

Same here. SWA and FP were two of my first TFK albums - the other being Space Revolver (IMO, their best single-disc album... although their first two albums, BITWOA and Retropolis are VERY close behind for a tied-second).

Unfold The Future... now THAT took a bit of listening to get in to, and being their longest album, it was almost a daunting task to listen to the whole thing straight through the first few times. The opening song got me hooked, but after that, it's quite a wild ride that runs the full gamut of what the TFK had done and was doing at the time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
So you guys all didn't have much trouble getting into SWA, eh?  Well, aren't you all freaking special!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
So you guys all didn't have much trouble getting into SWA, eh?  Well, aren't you all freaking special!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol :lol

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »
:lol what a funny picture.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
OK I have been listening to Stardust We Are nonstop since it clicked for me a few days ago.

How the hell was I never into this band before? They're so amazing.

I'm literally upset with myself for not giving this band a chance before, although I can't really blame myself because their discography is pretty daunting, what with so many double albums.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
OK I have been listening to Stardust We Are nonstop since it clicked for me a few days ago.

How the hell was I never into this band before? They're so amazing.

I'm literally upset with myself for not giving this band a chance before, although I can't really blame myself because their discography is pretty daunting, what with so many double albums.

They do have a HUGE discography, and not just in number of albums, but also pure volume and length as well! Four double albums is an amazing feat, and each of them is a little different from each other (I feel all of their albums are, anyway).

What's more amazing is that 4 of their albums had songs CUT from them (albeit they were single-disc albums);
Retropolis - cut tracks from those sessions found on Édition Limitée Québec
Space Revolver - bonus tracks on the Japanese Special Edition
The Rainmaker - bonus tracks on the Limited Edition
The Sum Of No Evil - bonus tracks on the Special Edition

I've taken all those tracks from their respective albums/sessions and made each of them 2-disc albums... yeah, I know, it's not like they didn't have enough 2-disc albums already (heck, all 3 of their live albums and their latest compilation were also 2-disc)... but I couldn't help myself!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
Yes, this band is amazing, and SWA is phenomenal.  God, if I had to list my favorite songs from that record in order, that would be difficult, as there are so many great ones.  Pretty much all of the normal length or extended songs are terrific.  Some of their best songs are from SWA.  

I agree that their discography can be a bit daunting and damn near intimidating, but it is well worth the effort.  Glad you are digging them, Quad! :tup :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
The funny thing is I always knew that I would enjoy them, seeing as I've always heard of them being compared to Yes (as far as the symphonic aspect and the lyrical peace loving stuff goes) but just never listened to them.

The music is also just extremely positive, which is really helping me get through a relatively saddening few weeks I've been having.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »
Yeah, their music is very positive and uplifting; great spring and summer music!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
My only complaint about SWA is that the "Stardust We Are" theme only makes its first appearance in "Pipes of Peace" (as far as I can tell so far, please correct me if I am wrong) which is already halfway through the album, and then almost every song after it features the theme. It would be cool if the first song had mention of it.

By the theme I mean the musical bit that's under the "Stardust We AREEEEE" lyrics in the title song.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
I haven't listened to SWA from start to finish in a while, so I cannot remember exactly where all of the title track themes are in other songs, but I seem to recall many of them being on the second disc. 

I do know, though, that when I saw them back in '06 (only time I have seen them), I was thrilled to death that they played both "Just This Once" and "Ghost of the Red Cloud," two songs which are seldom played. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
I would like to see this band live, I wonder how often to come to America.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
They used to come over for a few shows every time they released a record, but it got to a point where they were losing money every time they did it, so IIRC they didn't come over here after releasing their last album back in '07.  In fact, I think they did less touring on that record than in the past, and now they are on hiatus, perhaps forever, so who knows when or if they will ever tour in America again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
BTW, I meant to post this when I first read it, but here is a blog Hasse Froberg did last month.  He talks a lot about TFK, and alludes to some apparent friction between Roine Stol and Tomas Bodin (which sucks, as those are the two most important members as far as the core TFK sound goes).

What happened that day in Seattle at the fast food restaurant, when Roine became "Groina"? What was the truth behind the "Dwayne incident" in New York. In Paris, at one of the public restrooms, all of a sudden "Aaaaah..., Monsieur Bodin!" became a fact and has lived with us ever since. Will those stories ever be told? Frankly, at the moment I don't know? What I do know is the fact that TFK still has a break or a time out. I'm speaking with all the guys on a regular basis and for the moment everyone is busy with their own projects (me included). I guess it's still gonna take some time before you'll hear new material from TFK, except for the "Tribute to TFK" album that now is being recorded by various bands and artists around the world. Isn't that awesome! Other bands playing your songs on a record. Keep your eyes and ears open for that, I sure will. In fact I've told Roine a couple of times to make an official statement about the status of TFK. Nothing has happened yet. I can only tell you, what he tells me. For the moment he's not up for it. First of all there's some issues to deal with and most importantly, he needs to get the hunger, the urge to do it back. I just wish he could be a little more clear about it, for his sake, our sake and most of all you, the fans sake.

To me it's amazing TFK is still around. To lead such a band, can't be like a walk in the park. We're talking BIG egos here, that don't take no for an answer. Despite those circumstances, I believe we've found a way to work, to be creative and productive. From day one, Roine has been very democratic, we all have our say but if we disagree, Roine has the last word. For instance, before the latest tour we did, I thought Roine made some wrong decisions and I told him that. Still I respect him and his choices. He did what he thought was best for the band at that point. One decision we all agreed on, was to take a time out. I honestly don't think we could have continued because of the friction between Tomas and Roine. To some of you it might come as a surprize, but they haven't excactly been lovers lately. I do hope and I do believe that these two Gentlemen will work this out. I know for a fact, TFK been offered a tour, that means the interrest is still there. Most importantly, when (if) we'll record again. We have to make it the best album we've ever done.

About thirty minutes before the show I start with my vocal excercises. Not only to warm up the voice, it's equally important to get in the mood, or to get out of the "bus choma" or whatever. I don't know if this is the reason you don't see Jonas in the backstage area, until three minutes before we enter the stage. He might be chatting with a friend, watching a movie in the bus or the hotel. Even though, as soon as he hit the first note, he's spot on. Tomas is very restless before the show. If there's a curtain in front of the stage, he's already there playing with his headphones on. Roine is the total opposite. He's having like a meditative thirty minute pre-gig session, with a glass of red wine and closed eyes. I think he's mentally preparing the music and sometimes I actually think he falls asleep. As you probably understand, the lads in TFK are quite some characters and I love them. Tomas is funny, during rehearsals, if he gets lost. First of all he stops to play, he starts to shake both his hands in front of his chest at the same time as he looks at his keyboards. When we stop playing, he ALWAYS says: "This is not gonna work". Now, when you've heard that sentence approximately fourhundred times and it always works, you've learnt to be indulgent. I've done lots of crazy gigs over the years, but none of them tops Jonas gig at Tivoli in Copenhagen (the amusement park). He played there every afternoon together with some of the best jazz musicians out of Scandinavia. The money was right, the start time was right (you could even have another gig in the evening). The only thing that did'nt feel allright was the smell on stage but first of all in the backstage area. Hundreds of kilos of summer warm raw herring was carefully placed all over the place, just to please the star of the show: Adolf - the sea lion! I have to say I love the thought, that some of the best jazz musicians in Scandinavia, have to play the second fiddle to Adolf.

By now I've told you a couple of times, that this was the last blog on TFK. Remember, what I've written here was my impression of the adventures with these guys. I might have forgotten some names or some important things for that matter, but I've tried to be as honest as I could. I also tried to describe it as real as I could. From now on I'm gonna concentrate fully on HFMC and I'll try to write some blogs every now and then. As a matter of fact I got one coming allready. Look out for the blog: "Winter Olympics"

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
=( I didn't realize they were on hiatus. I guess that's why there hasn't been a new album since 2007.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
I'm giving Adam & Eve a listen now, and so far I'm really digging it.

Love this band more and more every day.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I really dug Adam & Eve, which is a good thing considering everyone else had it pretty low.

So far I've heard SWA, A&E, and Back in the World of Adventure and enjoyed all three thoroughly.

What else should I try?

EDIT: I couldn't wait around for an answer so I went with Space Revolver!!

Here's to a good time!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:24:39 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I really dug Adam & Eve, which is a good thing considering everyone else had it pretty low.

So far I've heard SWA, A&E, and Back in the World of Adventure and enjoyed all three thoroughly.

What else should I try?

EDIT: I couldn't wait around for an answer so I went with Space Revolver!!

Here's to a good time!

Good choice! SR is one of their finer albums, but really, once you become more intimate with their whole catalog, you realize each album has a lot to offer, AND enjoy!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:35 AM »
My only complaint about SWA is that the "Stardust We Are" theme only makes its first appearance in "Pipes of Peace" (as far as I can tell so far, please correct me if I am wrong) which is already halfway through the album, and then almost every song after it features the theme. It would be cool if the first song had mention of it.

By the theme I mean the musical bit that's under the "Stardust We AREEEEE" lyrics in the title song.

Beyond that theme, "Circus Brimstone" contains themes from the title track. It's also a damn good song too!

-Marc.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:06 AM »

Love Adam & Eve.  Definitely not low in my book. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
Adam & Eve took a long time to fully grow on me, but I like it quite a bit now.  Okay, the title cut and "Starlight Man" are both fairly skippable, but just about everything else is really good, especially "Love Supreme" and the last three songs.

Space Revolver is awesome.  I still say that is their best single disc.   The bookend of "I Am the Sun" is just ridiculously awesome, and stuff like "Monster Within," "Underdog" and "A King's Prayer" stand out as pretty unique when looking at their history as a band.

And I just listened to "One More Time" from their last album again, seeing if it is better than I remembered it being, but nope; it is still boring as hell.  It is like prog-by-the-numbers, and without anything remotely interesting or memorable.  Oh well, even a band as great is this is gonna have a stinker or two once in a while. ;)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
Giving Flower Power a spin now.

"Garden of Dreams" just blew me away. It'll take a few more solid listens to really get it all down, but my first impression was really positive.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
Speaking of "I Am The Sun", has anyone else mixed the two parts and made it one song? I carefully un-faded the outro of Part 1 and the intro of Part 2 and mixed them together, using the acoustic guitar part to line them up... oddly enough, it came out to an even 25:00. I wish it had been a part of their Meet The Flower Kings setlist.

As for the rest of Space Revolver, I agree that there are some GREAT tunes on there. "A King's Prayer" is amazing, and if you haven't heard it yet, the instrumental-jammy-version of it titled "Last Exit"(from the Japanese special edition) is just as amazing, with Roine playing a very soulful guitar-lead.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
Giving Flower Power a spin now.

"Garden of Dreams" just blew me away. It'll take a few more solid listens to really get it all down, but my first impression was really positive.

It only gets better!  Collectively, the GoD suite is definitely the best thing the band has ever done, if you ask me. :)

Speaking of "I Am The Sun", has anyone else mixed the two parts and made it one song? I carefully un-faded the outro of Part 1 and the intro of Part 2 and mixed them together, using the acoustic guitar part to line them up... oddly enough, it came out to an even 25:00. I wish it had been a part of their Meet The Flower Kings setlist.

The problem there is, I don't think they have ever played all of both parts of "I Am the Sun," so it would have been like they always play it...the first half of Part I and the second half of Part II.  In other words, we still wouldn't have gotten all 25 minutes.  And it is on the Instant Delivery DVD, so we still got it! :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »
Due to all this discussion I'm listening to Adam & Eve for the first time in ages, and it's definitely a bit better than I remember. The start and ends of the album are solid enough with some really great bits, just gets a bit less interesting in the middle.

Listened to Paradox Hotel and Stardust yesterday though, which are mighty mighty fine albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.