Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 235018 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #2170 on: March 22, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »
Eh, I think you guys are both just overlooking the obvious. Steve Hackett's band is a huge step in financial stability and prestige above The Flower Kings. I'm sure Jonas has to give full commitments to that and can make other things work if the pieces fall right. On TFK side, they are in a delicate enough situation that trying to work around Jonas puts a hardship on every other facet of booking and making things happen, so forge ahead, if Jonas can join, great, and if not, plan B.

Funnily enough, Jonas posted on Facebook earlier today regarding his upcoming busy schedule with Hackett, but has also made time for a Tangent show, who are probably less likely to try and do tours than TFK anyway.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02h245awdD5yFjS2NQQGMCyXu1NPoALQSMbok8AS2zNbLVr7AHJU35ZCNKLXHhHyhul&id=100031883575774&mibextid=Nif5oz

A messy room for a moshi head. Trying to get 5 hours of music and 3 different programs into my old head. Deadline next week. Foxtrot @50, Hackett Symphony Orchestra set and 90 minutes of The Tangent for next weekend at the Winters End festival in Cheapstow UK. Wish me luck 🫣

So yeah. I'm sure things are fine between Jonas and Roine, and since Michael rejoined them last year in his stead, it's probably been an easy choice for TFK to carry on with their original bassist than to try and work around Jonas' schedule.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2171 on: April 18, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
I'd love do a Flower Kings song countdown (similar to the ones I have done for DT, Maiden, Rush, VH, etc.), but I cannot imagine getting more than a handful to participate.  Who would be down for that?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: April 18, 2023, 06:23:11 AM »
I'd be up for one, but yeah I think there won't be that many participants to warrant one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2173 on: April 18, 2023, 06:26:07 AM »
I would participate, even though there are still like 4 TFK albums I haven’t heard yet. There are plenty that I do know!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: April 18, 2023, 06:27:38 AM »
I already know what my #1 song would be though  :P

Offline DTA

« Reply #2175 on: April 18, 2023, 07:03:27 AM »
I'd be down

Online Mladen

« Reply #2176 on: April 18, 2023, 07:13:57 AM »
There are four albums I haven't heard, some of which are actually well known albums, so I'd probably mess up the list a little bit. I'd participate if you don't mind.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2177 on: April 19, 2023, 06:09:55 AM »
Maybe just ranking the albums in order might be a better way to go with them, like anyone can list their 10 favorites. That would at least result in an album countdown where we can discuss the albums.  We'll see.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2178 on: April 19, 2023, 07:02:20 AM »
I'd participate in that as well.  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: April 24, 2023, 10:07:31 AM »
Roine says the new album is mixed and off to the pressing plant.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2180 on: April 24, 2023, 10:35:33 AM »
Roine says the new album is mixed and off to the pressing plant.

Man, he’s pumping them out now. I enjoyed the last two but don’t feel like I gave them the time they deserve and so am less anxious for another one. The last one starts out strong but seems to lose steam mid-way though disc two. Kind of hope the next one is a bit shorter, preferably a single disc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2181 on: April 24, 2023, 02:40:40 PM »
I'd love do a Flower Kings song countdown (similar to the ones I have done for DT, Maiden, Rush, VH, etc.), but I cannot imagine getting more than a handful to participate.  Who would be down for that?

Sorry for late response but I'd be happy to contribute to this if it gets done.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2182 on: April 24, 2023, 03:00:25 PM »
 :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #2183 on: May 21, 2023, 03:09:19 PM »
Inspired by some of the conversation in the ranking thread, but I figured I'd post it in the main artist thread:

I was one of several people in that thread who mentioned the challenge of getting into the full TFK discography because there's so much music on each album and it takes a while to get my head around it. One of the challenges for me is that there are a lot of shorter songs in amongst the longer, epic pieces. They have several albums with like 15-20 songs! I find it challenging to differentiate all the individual shorter songs. And I feel almost certain that I've been overlooking some of the shorter songs on the longer albums.

So I was thinking it would be cool to see people's lists of their favorite shorter TFK songs. Ranked, unranked, however you want to do it. I'll post some of my favorites from the albums I know pretty well.

Oh, and we could arbitrarily draw a line in a lot of places for long vs. short, but let's just say <10 minutes for the purpose of this, although if those end up mostly being songs in the 8-10 minute range, it might also be cool to see a separate list for <8 minutes.

Here are some of mine in chronological order (not ranked):
  • Train to Nowhere (BitWoA)
  • Rising the Imperial (BoE)
  • Silent Graveyards (DR)
  • Wicked Old Symphony (WfM)
  • Morning News (Islands)
  • A Million Stars (BRD)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline HOF

« Reply #2184 on: May 21, 2023, 03:40:14 PM »
Not sure which albums you don’t know, but here are some favorites from albums you didn’t list:

Retropolis:
- There is More to This World (10:07, close enough)
- Flora Majora (instrumental)
- The Road Back Home

Stardust We Are:
- Just This Once
- Church of Your Heart
- The Man Who Walked With Kings (instrumental)
- The Merrygoround
- Different People
- Kingdom of Lies

Flower Power:
- Stupid Girl
- Magic Pie

Space Revolver:
- Chicken Farmer Song
- Slave To Money
- A King’s Prayer

The Rainmaker
- World Without A Heart
- Elaine
- Serious Dreamers

Paradox Hotel (don’t know this one so well, but some standouts):
- Jealousy
- Pioneers of Aviation (instrumental)
- What If God Is Alone
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 04:00:34 PM by HOF »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2185 on: May 22, 2023, 06:25:37 AM »
In chronological order:

My Cosmic Lover
Silent Sorrow
Just This Once
Painter
Underdog
Elaine
Fast Lane
Timelines
Pioneers of Aviation
Trading My Soul
For Those About to Drown
White Tuxedos
Wicked Old Symphony
Northern Lights
Blinded

A shorter track from each album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: May 22, 2023, 07:08:16 AM »
Some favourites of the shorter songs:

Cosmic Circus
Starlight Man
Jealousy
Ghost Of The Red Cloud
World Without A Heart
Chicken Farmer Song
Hit Me With A Hit
Fireghosts
Different People
Stupid Girl
Magic Pie

Offline 425

« Reply #2187 on: May 22, 2023, 09:28:15 PM »
Not sure which albums you don’t know, but here are some favorites from albums you didn’t list:

I think my post ended up being more focused on asking for personal recommendations than I intended it to be. I primarily just thought it would be interesting to talk about the shorter songs, and wound up going on excessively about the backstory of how I came up with the idea.

That said, I am listening to Flower Power for the first time right now, and I've been paying special attention to the ones mentioned here. I liked Magic Pie, but I really, really enjoyed Painter, which just ended. I'm not sure how I feel about Stupid Girl yet, but maybe it will grow.

HOF, you and I seem to be familiar with mostly non-overlapping sets of albums, but I definitely agree with you about Flora Majora, and with you and Zydar about Flora Majora.

RoeDent, good call on Painter (as I just mentioned), along with White Tuxedos and Wicked Old Symphony.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2188 on: May 23, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »
If you are listening to the original Flower Power, then Stupid Girl is awesome.

On the recent remaster/remix, not so much.  He totally ruined that song with the remix. 

Offline 425

« Reply #2189 on: May 23, 2023, 07:03:23 AM »
Huh, that’s unfortunate. I am listening to the remix, as it’s what’s in print.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2190 on: May 23, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Yes, plenty of things to be aware of with the 22/23 remixes. Pioneers of Aviation cuts out the opening 2 minutes or so, with the best parts of the song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2191 on: May 23, 2023, 05:17:41 PM »
Yes, plenty of things to be aware of with the 22/23 remixes. Pioneers of Aviation cuts out the opening 2 minutes or so, with the best parts of the song.

Oof, that is awful.  I didn't bother checking out any of the remasters/remixes after the first few once I heard how he butchered those.  And I will reiterate that the artist obviously has the right to do what he or she wants their art, but I still think it is shady that these are being advertised as simply "remasters" when uploading them to YT on their official account.  I just looked and the new remix of Pioneers of Aviation that was posted from the band's official YT account calls it a remaster and says NOTHING about it being a remix.  That is misleading as hell.  For shame, Flower Kings.  For shame.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2192 on: May 23, 2023, 06:16:10 PM »

Oof, that is awful.  I didn't bother checking out any of the remasters/remixes after the first few once I heard how he butchered those.  And I will reiterate that the artist obviously has the right to do what he or she wants their art, but I still think it is shady that these are being advertised as simply "remasters" when uploading them to YT on their official account.  I just looked and the new remix of Pioneers of Aviation that was posted from the band's official YT account calls it a remaster and says NOTHING about it being a remix.  That is misleading as hell. For shame, Flower Kings.  For shame.  :tdwn :tdwn

Hey now, don't blame ALL of them. I'm sure the remixing/remastering is 95% all Roine, as I haven't heard or seen any evidence to suggest that anyone else in the band (former or current) have had any say in the process of remixing these albums.

Like you, Kev, I have also been avoiding these albums and it sucks that for newer fans that have discovered them in the past few years, these are the versions that many of them will be listening to for the first time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2193 on: May 23, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Well, I was trying to be diplomatic and not blame Roine solely, but, yeah, I am sure it is all his doing. 

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2194 on: May 24, 2023, 09:03:48 AM »
I'd've thought he'd've learnt from the Devil's Playground debacle but clearly not.

It's probably cynical in the extreme but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the opening 2 minutes of POA is dominated by Bodin. Some of my favourite keyboard work of his for atmosphere. Bit of sour grapes maybe?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:09:13 AM by RoeDent »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2195 on: May 24, 2023, 09:59:11 AM »
I would hope Roine wouldn't be that spiteful, but it does seem to be a trend based on what I've heard.  Some of the really cool keyboard parts in both Ghost of the Red Cloud and The Road Back Home were removed/altered in those newer remixes, and both songs suffered greatly because of it.  It's like he is going out of his way to make his great songs a lot less great.

Offline 425

« Reply #2196 on: May 24, 2023, 12:56:08 PM »
I think there can be a trend like that without it necessarily coming from something like spite. Not saying that isn’t the cause, but that it doesn’t have to be. Remember when people were pointing out that Neal Morse removed a lot of the great guitar sections from The Breath of Life version of The Absolute Universe? These things might be a natural result of people liking parts that they came up with better than parts that others wrote (probably why it’s a good idea to check with an outside producer on edits like these).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2197 on: May 24, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »
Right, I highly doubt that spite was the reason.  Roine is certainly not the first artist to want to tinker with the past and make changes to older work when re-releasing it and he won't be the last.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2198 on: July 06, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
New single from The Flower Kings "Beginner's Eyes."
Premiere Friday, 7 July: https://youtu.be/c23lFSB0Mfk

From the Inside Out Facebook page. Looks like we are entering the new-album cycle of pre-release singles.

Edit - here's the album cover and vinyl track list, with a release date of September 8th.
https://justforkicks.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/15520

Side One (17:14)
1. Beginners Eyes 4:35
2. The Dream 4:37
3. Hollow Man 5:00
4. Dr. Ribedeaux 3:02

Side Two (15:25)
5. Mother Earth 4:15
6. The Queen 5:25
7. The Light in Your Eyes 5:45

Side Three (17:38)
8. Seasons End 5:26
9. Scars 5:27
10. Stronghold 6:45

Side Four (18:16)
11. Father Sky 3:06
12. Day For Peace 3:10
13. Look At You Now 12:00

Album length total - 68:33 - a bit short than the usual TFK album, but still a double vinyl. Seems like it'll be a single CD this time though.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:11:01 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: July 06, 2023, 09:02:34 AM »
Nice!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2200 on: July 06, 2023, 09:07:07 AM »
Not sure why I get the sense that AI generated that cover, but it looks cool anyway!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2201 on: July 06, 2023, 09:11:38 AM »
Not sure why I get the sense that AI generated that cover, but it looks cool anyway!

Now that you mention that, yeah I get that vibe too. :lol

-Marc.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2202 on: July 06, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
Last time they did a single disk release, it worked really well for me. I'll check it out and I'll also use the opportunity to check out another one of their older albums, maybe even two.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2203 on: July 06, 2023, 10:50:38 AM »
As per this German website we have a release date of September 8th, 2023.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2204 on: July 06, 2023, 11:22:40 AM »
As per this German website we have a release date of September 8th, 2023.

Yep, noted that in my post a few replies up. A few sites have reported the album already with the cover, but Just For Kicks is the only place I've seen a track list foe the CD and the vinyl set. I suspect pre-orders will go up tomorrow once the single goes live. Just over two months until release!

-Marc.