Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230845 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1890 on: June 07, 2021, 11:15:37 PM »
I like the laid back vibe as well. Wasn't it Roine who said the album sounds different than normal because their parts were all recorded in isolation and the drums weren't mic'd like they normally would be? The low end definitely doesn't have the punch we normally get with a TFK record, and that is probably why the album has a more laid back feel.  I wouldn't want it that way every time, but nice to get one album like that, as it makes it unique in that regard.

I thought that Waiting For Miracles was missing that "punch" as well and it bothered me quite a bit when it came out. So much actually, that I almost never listen to it anymore.

On Islands however, that light, transparent production fit the music for me!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1891 on: June 08, 2021, 06:09:48 PM »
I like the laid back vibe as well. Wasn't it Roine who said the album sounds different than normal because their parts were all recorded in isolation and the drums weren't mic'd like they normally would be? The low end definitely doesn't have the punch we normally get with a TFK record, and that is probably why the album has a more laid back feel.  I wouldn't want it that way every time, but nice to get one album like that, as it makes it unique in that regard.

I thought that Waiting For Miracles was missing that "punch" as well and it bothered me quite a bit when it came out. So much actually, that I almost never listen to it anymore.

On Islands however, that light, transparent production fit the music for me!

I never noticed a lack of punch on Waiting for Miracles; it sounded like classic TFK to me in both sound and style. I will have to listen for it next time through.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1892 on: June 09, 2021, 02:27:44 AM »
I gave a spin to Islands yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. Such a fine album. I like the fact that the songs are shorter and I find that the melodies are very memorable.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1893 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:49 AM »
I gave a spin to Islands yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. Such a fine album. I like the fact that the songs are shorter and I find that the melodies are very memorable.

Yeah it's pretty enjoyable overall. I threw it back on my playlist after not listening for a few months and it's held up for me.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1894 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
I'm not yet sure if Islands has one of those all-time-classic TFK moments on it yet. Some come close, but idk yet if they have true Classic status.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1895 on: June 14, 2021, 08:34:22 AM »
Any word on the new album? I thought they had said it was being worked on a while back.

I'm highly intrigued to hear how they outdid this one.

Did you listen to Space Revolver yet?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1896 on: June 14, 2021, 08:58:12 AM »
Any word on the new album? I thought they had said it was being worked on a while back.

I believe I had seen Roine comment on FB that it'll come out in 2022. If I had to guess, I suspect a Spring release date just before Cruise To The Edge.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1897 on: June 15, 2021, 07:51:53 AM »
I was checking my Spotify stats through this site (https://www.statsforspotify.com) and my Top tracks of all time includes 4 TFK songs in the Top 10 :lol with the #1 spot being End On A High Note.

1. End On A High Note
2. The Flower King
4. World Of Adventures
6. Hit Me With A Hit

And all this from November last year and onward when I started listening to them. Crazy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1898 on: June 15, 2021, 08:49:05 AM »
I picked up a copy of Flower Power yesterday (got it in the mail really) and am finishing my first listen this morning. Listened to disc 1 last night and was blown away. I need more listens to digest, but Garden of Dreams worked as a single epic in a way some CD length "songs" like SDOIT or The Whirlwind don't (those feel more like a collection of discreet songs). Not that there aren't discreet songs to Garden of Dreams, but they all felt like they were part of the whole on first listen at least. The ending is incredible. Never heard Roine sing that way (probably hasn't sung that way since he laid down the track!). I don't know why they felt compelled to include Captain Capstan and Ikea at Night as separate tracks (writing credits?), but Astral Dog is fantastic and a fun way to end the disc.

I'm only half way through the second disc. It really does feel like it's own separate album, and will take some time to digest. But I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. 

Edit: Calling Home, which I think I have heard before, is wonderful.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:24:51 AM by HOF »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1899 on: June 15, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »
I was checking my Spotify stats through this site (https://www.statsforspotify.com) and my Top tracks of all time includes 4 TFK songs in the Top 10 :lol with the #1 spot being End On A High Note.

1. End On A High Note
2. The Flower King
4. World Of Adventures
6. Hit Me With A Hit

And all this from November last year and onward when I started listening to them. Crazy.

Great selection. Those are some of the best pieces of TFK music right there, 2 of the best songs off Paradox Hotel, the titular title track off Roine's 1994 solo album, and the first track off of BITWOA, which I always thought was the best song on the album (but the rest of the album is great) and one of the band's best songs overall.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1900 on: June 15, 2021, 02:47:28 PM »
I picked up a copy of Flower Power yesterday (got it in the mail really) and am finishing my first listen this morning. Listened to disc 1 last night and was blown away. I need more listens to digest, but Garden of Dreams worked as a single epic in a way some CD length "songs" like SDOIT or The Whirlwind don't (those feel more like a collection of discreet songs). Not that there aren't discreet songs to Garden of Dreams, but they all felt like they were part of the whole on first listen at least. The ending is incredible. Never heard Roine sing that way (probably hasn't sung that way since he laid down the track!). I don't know why they felt compelled to include Captain Capstan and Ikea at Night as separate tracks (writing credits?), but Astral Dog is fantastic and a fun way to end the disc.

I'm only half way through the second disc. It really does feel like it's own separate album, and will take some time to digest. But I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. 

Edit: Calling Home, which I think I have heard before, is wonderful.

I really think GoD is the best epic among all the big massive 35+ minute epics between Roine and co, Neal Morse and co, Dream Theater, etc... and surely by any band who's produced prog rock since the 80s IMO. It is just the most.... epic piece of music, and it really is one piece and moves as so, whereas SDoIT and The Whirlwind do have more noticeable changes if you're not looking at when the tracks change. I don't even know where one track ends and the other begins for most of GoD's length. While a little shorter, the live version from Meet The Flower Kings is essential listening once you've digested the studio version. It is very different, with added sections, extended solos, jams, and while I think the studio version is better, the live one is really interesting, and I love some of the funky sections added in, and some prefer it over the studio one.

As I've said, the first disc of Flower Power is the perfect single disc of TFK music, it really is its own album, with the 2nd disc having more of its own feel, with a few call backs to GoD, but the reprises are little more discreet. This is unlike their other double albums, where each disc is part of the greater whole.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1901 on: June 15, 2021, 03:08:50 PM »

I really think GoD is the best epic among all the big massive 35+ minute epics between Roine and co, Neal Morse and co, Dream Theater, etc... and surely by any band who's produced prog rock since the 80s IMO. It is just the most.... epic piece of music, and it really is one piece and moves as so, whereas SDoIT and The Whirlwind do have more noticeable changes if you're not looking at when the tracks change. I don't even know where one track ends and the other begins for most of GoD's length. While a little shorter, the live version from Meet The Flower Kings is essential listening once you've digested the studio version. It is very different, with added sections, extended solos, jams, and while I think the studio version is better, the live one is really interesting, and I love some of the funky sections added in, and some prefer it over the studio one.

As I've said, the first disc of Flower Power is the perfect single disc of TFK music, it really is its own album, with the 2nd disc having more of its own feel, with a few call backs to GoD, but the reprises are little more discreet. This is unlike their other double albums, where each disc is part of the greater whole.

Spot on.

If Garden of Dreams on its own was a studio album, it would certainly be my favorite TFK album and probably in my all-time top 10, maybe even top 5.  Not that I don't like Astral Dog a lot or most of Disc 2, because I do.  But most of Disc 2 being merely good brings the overall quality down from "top tier album ever" to merely "great album."  How's that for semantics?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1902 on: June 15, 2021, 03:16:54 PM »
The Whirlwind is basically tied with Flower Power disc 1 for me, but I don't think I could choose one or the other as a desert island disc.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1903 on: June 18, 2021, 04:22:39 AM »
I finished listening to Space Revolver just recently. I think this one will take a few listens to really absorb. There were some songs I liked a lot, such as "Rumble Fish Twist", "Chicken Farmer Song", and "Slave to Money". However, there were a few songs that I don't think I really "get" yet, mainly "I am the Sun" (both parts) and "You Don't Know What You've Got". I still think it's a pretty good album, though. It's just one that I'll need to listen to more to get a more solid opinion on.
Next up is The Rainmaker, which I hear tends to be considered a step down from the other TFK albums. Regardless of how I may feel about it compared to the other albums I've heard thus far, I think I'll probably enjoy it nonetheless, based on how much I'm liking this band so far.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1904 on: June 18, 2021, 04:38:48 AM »
I Am The Sun is actually a pretty odd song once you break it down, especially the "I left my heart..." part. But there's so many fascinating parts that I can't help but absolutely love it. The mellow section at the end of Part 1 and the entire first half of Part 2 are some of my favorite FK moments. Slave To Money has so much going on for being a relatively shorter song, and Monster Within (the Epping Forest of this album) seems to get divided opinions, but it's fantastic with some really brilliant melodies.

The Rainmaker is cool. I don't think it's inferior considering the longer songs are all pretty much top tier, with the shorter tracks being very memorable also. But it loses that upbeat whimsical vibe the first 5 albums had and the album cover reflects the darker vibe of the music. My favorite song is actually the ambient title track with Road To Sanctuary not far behind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1905 on: June 18, 2021, 05:51:02 AM »
The biggest problem with The Rainmaker, and there are several, is the mix.  The drums sound totally flat and like they weren't recorded or mix correctly.  The lush and warm tones that flood nearly every other TFK album are largely non-existent on The Rainmaker.  It's not a bad record, just a slight misstep.  I do like the songs Serious Dreamers and Elaine a lot.  I go back and forth on Last Minute on Earth, which has a killer riff, but Hasse's lead vocal is pretty questionable (a longtime friend who loves the band hates that song because of, in his words, how bad the vocals are).  Sword of God is the one that needed to go in the dumpster.  That might the one song in their history I would say is just bad.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1906 on: June 18, 2021, 07:38:55 AM »
The biggest problem with The Rainmaker, and there are several, is the mix.  The drums sound totally flat and like they weren't recorded or mix correctly.  The lush and warm tones that flood nearly every other TFK album are largely non-existent on The Rainmaker.  It's not a bad record, just a slight misstep.  I do like the songs Serious Dreamers and Elaine a lot.  I go back and forth on Last Minute on Earth, which has a killer riff, but Hasse's lead vocal is pretty questionable (a longtime friend who loves the band hates that song because of, in his words, how bad the vocals are).  Sword of God is the one that needed to go in the dumpster.  That might the one song in their history I would say is just bad.

I really like The Rainmaker (it was my first TFK album), but I agree with pretty much all of this, especially Sword of God. The drums sound fine to me though. It is a denser mix (for lack of a better word) than earlier TFK. City of Angels is a favorite from this one, in addition to Serious Dreamers. Road to Sanctuary is great too.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1907 on: June 18, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
I Am The Sun is great, give it more listens!
I overall think Space Revolver is the band's most accessible album, for a TFK album. The sound is great, there are great melodies throughout, the overall mood is very cheerful throughout as well. Monster Within is a dense but rewarding piece of music.

The Rainmaker is better than you think. Sure, it isn't as good as the previous albums, but it's still a solid record. It's a transitional album, as they were starting to move into a more jazz-fusion direction, as well as bringing in more darker elements into the music. I think it's better than the band's last handful of albums.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1908 on: June 23, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »
I am looking into purchasing Back Into the World of Adventures on Friday. Question: I know that reissues have cut parts of songs, so I need to know if the reissue of Back Into the World of Adventures does the same. I looked at the Discog page for it and it looks like 8 seconds have been cut off one of the songs and some added in other places, it just looks like silence was cut but I if any of you have additional information I would appreciate it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1909 on: June 23, 2021, 06:52:16 PM »
I am looking into purchasing Back Into the World of Adventures on Friday. Question: I know that reissues have cut parts of songs, so I need to know if the reissue of Back Into the World of Adventures does the same. I looked at the Discog page for it and it looks like 8 seconds have been cut off one of the songs and some added in other places, it just looks like silence was cut but I if any of you have additional information I would appreciate it.

Hmmm, I have no clue about any of this.  I wouldn't let it hold you back from getting it, though, especially if it is only 8 seconds.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1910 on: July 06, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
So I was listening to Waiting For Miracles and Islands the other day, and I was wondering - which pair of albums do you all prefer more?

Banks Of Eden & Desolation Rose, or Waiting For Miracles & Islands? Both pairs feature the same line-up for both albums, something that hadn't happened since the band's early days, and both pairs of albums were released in back-to-back years.

I'd have to give BOE another spin, but I think would go with the last two albums over the previous pair. I just like the sound that WFM and Islands have more, part of it reminds me of classic/early TFK a bit more than BOE/DR did, but that isn't to say I don't like what those albums had to offer.

Just figured I'd try to stir up some TFK-related discussion while we all wait for news about their next album, which I think I read would be coming next year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1911 on: July 06, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »
Even though Desolation Rose is easily the weakest of the four (weakest TFK studio album to date actually, IMO), I still might pick the earlier duo on the strength of Banks of Eden, which is a fantastic record.  I like both Waiting for Miracles and Islands a lot, but neither touches Banks of Eden for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1912 on: July 07, 2021, 12:58:31 AM »
I'd probably rank them like this:

Desolation rose
Islands
Banks of eden
Waiting for miracles

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1913 on: July 07, 2021, 03:38:56 AM »
As you're asking which pair of albums I prefer, it's definitely Miracles/Islands. Banks of Eden has one of their great epics in Numbers, but the rest is forgettable relative to the earlier albums, and I've never been able to get into Desolation Rose properly.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1914 on: July 07, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Even though Desolation Rose is easily the weakest of the four (weakest TFK studio album to date actually, IMO), I still might pick the earlier duo on the strength of Banks of Eden, which is a fantastic record.  I like both Waiting for Miracles and Islands a lot, but neither touches Banks of Eden for me.

This is where I'm at. DR is easily my least favorite TFK album, and BoE is arguably the strongest effort of all 4 albums.
However, I like the overall vibe of the latest two albums, especially Islands, over the other two, and both recent efforts are more consistent albums to me.
On the strength of Numbers alone, I will choose BoE+DR, but I'm totally into this new era of the band over the last one with Bodin still on keys. Those last two albums with Bodin feel cold to me, in both production and the overall vibe, especially DR.
Islands brings back much of that old TFK cheeriness that was lacking after the first hiatus.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1915 on: July 28, 2021, 06:45:30 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/835639522/posts/10160165170864523/

Mirkko De Maio posted a studio tour on FB earlier today, where the band have been for at least 3 days working on the new album!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1916 on: July 30, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
Great news!  :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1917 on: August 06, 2021, 01:46:15 PM »
If you've followed and enjoyed his reactions to Dream Theater's epics, Doug Helvering from The Daily Doug, finally put out a reaction video to some Flower Kings music, with Love Is The Only Answer from The Sum of No Evil album.
I believe this is the first piece of music he's covered from the TFK/Transatlantic/Spock's Beard/NM world of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUn8araO4HI

Offline HOF

« Reply #1918 on: August 06, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »
If you've followed and enjoyed his reactions to Dream Theater's epics, Doug Helvering from The Daily Doug, finally put out a reaction video to some Flower Kings music, with Love Is The Only Answer from The Sum of No Evil album.
I believe this is the first piece of music he's covered from the TFK/Transatlantic/Spock's Beard/NM world of music.

I believe he did Spock’s Beard recently as well. Either At the End of the Day or The Great Nothing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1919 on: August 06, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »

I believe he did Spock’s Beard recently as well. Either At the End of the Day or The Great Nothing.

Ah yes, he did, At The End Of The Day almost a week ago. That one didn't pop up on my YT feed strangely enough.
Then this is the first TFK piece he's reacted to. Something by Transatlantic and NMB/Neal Morse solo should be also be in his queue sometime soon.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1920 on: August 07, 2021, 04:44:28 AM »
I'd love to see someone's reaction/analysis to Stardust We Are. I enjoy Love Is..., but Stardust is on a whole 'nother level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1921 on: August 07, 2021, 06:07:39 AM »
Love Is the Only Answer is definitely an odd choice to start off with the Flower Kings, but hey if he liked it (did he? I did not watch the video) and wants to check out more as a result, who am I to argue with it? :lol :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #1922 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »
I didn’t watch it because I haven’t heard Sum of No Evil yet (still working my way through the TFK catalog). I did watch his reaction to SB’s At the End of the Day and he was blown away by it. That was at least fun to see someone genuinely enjoying such amazing music for the first time.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: August 07, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
Love Is the Only Answer is definitely an odd choice to start off with the Flower Kings, but hey if he liked it (did he? I did not watch the video) and wants to check out more as a result, who am I to argue with it? :lol :P

He was super impressed with it in a way he said that he had only been to King Crimson  before

Songwriting, playing, arrangements, mixing, everything was totally blowing him away.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1924 on: August 07, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
I'd love to see someone's reaction/analysis to Stardust We Are. I enjoy Love Is..., but Stardust is on a whole 'nother level.

I believe YouTuber JustJP did a reaction to "Stardust We Are" not too long ago (one of the few reactions to the whole song I've seen on YouTube), and his style of music reaction is to simply let the song play all the way through and he barely, if ever, talks during it, and leaves all his thoughts for after the song finishes. He also dives into the lyrics a lot and tries to parse their meaning, so if that's your bag, he's a good one to follow.

Ah yes, he did, At The End Of The Day almost a week ago. That one didn't pop up on my YT feed strangely enough.
Then this is the first TFK piece he's reacted to. Something by Transatlantic and NMB/Neal Morse solo should be also be in his queue sometime soon.

This is indeed his first taste of TFK, and judging by his impressions, I hope he continues to explore their works. I would love to see him cover another epic, but I also wouldn't mind him reacting to one of their shorter songs in the 8-15 minute range. Hopefully someone can inform him how to pronounce Roine's name. :lol To be fair, every TFK and Transatlantic reaction video I've ever seen has the reactor pronouncing his name wrong, so I don't blame Doug for not getting it right away.

I hope Doug will cover some Transatalntic really soon, or some solo Neal Morse, now that he's heard him in Spock's Beard.

-Marc.