Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 234929 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1680 on: December 07, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Did they even do any shows in the aftermath of WFM?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-flower-kings-5bd6b324.html

Looks like they had 12 shows last December, and then 2 in January earlier this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1681 on: December 07, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »
Train To Nowhere

I'm really only beginning to explore the Flower Kings' discography (kind of been working at it for a couple of years, just going a bit a time). But I think this is a really special song that I don't see people talking about very much.

I love Train to Nowhere.  It is hard to beat the epics that bookend the debut (World of Adventures and Big Puzzle), but Train to Nowhere has always been my favorite of the rest. The melodies are really strong.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1682 on: December 08, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
The only TFK live albums you can casually pick up are Meet The Flower Kings and Tour Kaputt, the only two live albums on streaming services, as well. ALive On Planet Earth used to be streamable. Their live albums go for some insane prices online.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: January 12, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
Today the band have launched a brand new video for the track ‘Black Swan’, and you can watch it now here: https://youtu.be/kv3-7HDz4Mw

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1684 on: January 12, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
Like the song a lot, did not like the video.  I get what they were going for with those effects, but they came off as cheap and very poorly done, and I didn't need to see what the inside of Froberg's mouth looked like that many times.  :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #1685 on: January 12, 2021, 10:27:48 PM »
Like the song a lot, did not like the video.  I get what they were going for with those effects, but they came off as cheap and very poorly done, and I didn't need to see what the inside of Froberg's mouth looked like that many times.  :lol

I skip pretty much any prog music video these days. I’m kind of amazed bands/record companies still put money into them. I suppose it’s much cheaper to pull them off these days so maybe that’s why they still try, but boy does it show. Unless it’s a reasonably well-shot video of the band banging the song out in a room together. I’m a sucker for those.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1686 on: January 13, 2021, 02:20:29 AM »

I skip pretty much any prog music video these days. I’m kind of amazed bands/record companies still put money into them. I suppose it’s much cheaper to pull them off these days so maybe that’s why they still try, but boy does it show. Unless it’s a reasonably well-shot video of the band banging the song out in a room together. I’m a sucker for those.

I agree, most videos by prog bands by now are terrible. Think about Pattern-Seeking Animals (Why Don't We Run), Spock's Beard (To Breathe Another Day), Transatlantic (Shine).
Interestingly, younger bands manage to produce better videos (Leprous, Haken).
But generally, I don't care for any of them. I want live videos  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1687 on: January 13, 2021, 05:44:39 AM »
I'm in the middle of a massive Roine Stolt discography run. Not quite everything he's been involved in, but certainly a lot of it, and probably everything he's been a major credited member in. The Flower Kings, his solo albums, the albums from his spells in Kaipa, Transatlantic, The Sea Within, Anderson/Stolt, The Tangent. In total we're doing 43 albums, and the next one on the schedule is Flower Power.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1688 on: January 13, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
I'm in the middle of a massive Roine Stolt discography run. Not quite everything he's been involved in, but certainly a lot of it, and probably everything he's been a major credited member in. The Flower Kings, his solo albums, the albums from his spells in Kaipa, Transatlantic, The Sea Within, Anderson/Stolt, The Tangent. In total we're doing 43 albums, and the next one on the schedule is Flower Power.

I'll forgive you for skipping Agents Of Mercy, as Nad's voice can be a bit difficult to listen to sometimes.

But I would suggest not skipping his appearances on some of his fellow TFK members' solo albums!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1689 on: January 13, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »

It's funny how such creative artists can be so uncreative when it comes to music videos.  :lol :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1690 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:13 AM »

I'll forgive you for skipping Agents Of Mercy, as Nad's voice can be a bit difficult to listen to sometimes.

But I would suggest not skipping his appearances on some of his fellow TFK members' solo albums!

-Marc.

It's not me in control. I'm doing it with a couple of guys on a Discord server I'm on. And Agents of Mercy is on the schedule. Last one we did was Fantasia from 1982 (ntbcw Fantasia from 1979). Dude sounded like the bloke from Counting Crows at times, then the middle tracks were very easy to tell who he was ripping off. Bruce, The Police and so on. A lot of the non-FK/TA stuff I might not touch often again, but it's an experience.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1691 on: January 15, 2021, 08:41:08 AM »

-Marc.

It's not me in control. I'm doing it with a couple of guys on a Discord server I'm on. And Agents of Mercy is on the schedule. Last one we did was Fantasia from 1982 (ntbcw Fantasia from 1979). Dude sounded like the bloke from Counting Crows at times, then the middle tracks were very easy to tell who he was ripping off. Bruce, The Police and so on. A lot of the non-FK/TA stuff I might not touch often again, but it's an experience.

Ahh okay, gotcha. Glad to see AOM wasn't getting neglected, though I do wish they would've re-recorded the opening/title track from their first album (due to the grammatical issue in the chorus). Musically speaking, though, they're fairly good. I listened to them a few months ago, and I still enjoyed them.

As for his older solo albums, I haven't listened to those in quite awhile, but I actually own Fantastia (1992 reprint of the 79 album) on CD! I bought it on eBay over 10 years ago for about $28 (the cheapest currently on eBay is about $40).  I still don't have Behind The Walls or The Lonely Heartbeat on CD yet, but I think I have heard one or both of them in the past.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:58:10 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1692 on: January 15, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
Agents of Mercy deserves nothing but neglect for using that dreadful singer.  I would rather shove an ice pick in my ears than listen to Nad Sylvan sing ever again.  :censored :censored

On a more positive note, Zach Kamins deserves major props for how well he has fit in on the last two TFK records.  I was obviously concerned about the departure of Tomas Bodin, but Kamins has done a tremendous job so far. He manages to bring his own style while still playing stuff that is very TFK-ish (there are times it feels like he is channeling Bodin, and I mean that in a good way).

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1693 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
Ahh okay, gotcha. Glad to see AOM wasn't getting neglected, though I do wish they would've re-recorded the opening/title track from their first album (due to the grammatical issue in the chorus).

That also bothered me at the time. Funny thing is, they did actually fix this for the digital release (also the reprise at the end of the album) and referred to the new versions as a "remix":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62BtFmDvA0

"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1694 on: January 16, 2021, 03:03:42 PM »
Ahh okay, gotcha. Glad to see AOM wasn't getting neglected, though I do wish they would've re-recorded the opening/title track from their first album (due to the grammatical issue in the chorus).

That also bothered me at the time. Funny thing is, they did actually fix this for the digital release (also the reprise at the end of the album) and referred to the new versions as a "remix":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62BtFmDvA0

Oh, I did remember reading about that! I guess things like that happen when English isn't your first or primary language.

Back on the topic of TFK proper, has it been brought up here that, I believe in recent interviews, Roine and co. are already planning on the next TFK album? I think it was Kamins that brought up the idea to do a new long-form epic piece, and the rest all agreed it was a good idea. Their last big epic was "Numbers", which was almost a decade ago, so I would love to see what this new line-up can do in a long-form piece. As Kev said, Kamins has been a great addition to the band, and while he isn't Bodin, he's got his own flavor and style that works very well with TFK's music.

In TFK-related news, I think I also saw that Hasse Froberg is working on the next HFMC album, which is exciting, their last one was really good, so I look forward to hearing more from Hasse and his band. Now I just need to hear news that Jonas is working on a new Karmakanic album! It has been 4-5 years since Dot, so it's about time now to release one!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1695 on: January 16, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
A new long epic would be cool, but if the overall quality is similar to the last two, I will be pleased.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1696 on: February 08, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
Listening to Karmakanic's debut album. The title track Entering the Spectra is like a lost song from Space Revolver, with Roine Stolt singing and playing guitar, Jonas on bass, Zoltan on drums. In fact much of the album is like a lost TFK album from 2002. Not every song sounds like something from a TFK album, as there is a different feel to some tunes, but a lot does, no surprise since Jonas' presence on bass and in writing is felt on TFK albums since he joined. There is a different singer and I always liked his voice, it fits the music well.  They also bring a subtle prog-metal sound here and there, which TFK do not really do (more hard rock when they get heavy)

Like The Tangent, this band branched out from TFK and eventually became it's own band with its own sound, but I like the early albums by both bands.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1697 on: February 09, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
I think The Tangent is actually a better band without Roine Stolt in it.  The problem with Roine Stolt being in The Tangent is it makes them sound too much like The Flower Kings.   Over the course of the last few albums I've actually gotten to a point where I kind of like Andy Tillson's weird vocals, and I like the jazzy almost improv sound some of the longer tunes have.  And Andy's lyrics are awesome too.  If I were to compare the last 3 albums from The Tangent verses the last 3 albums from The Flower Kings I would have to give the edge to The Tangent.  I almost never listen to the last three Flower Kings albums but the last 3 The Tangent albums are still in semi-regular rotation.  Especially "A Spark In The Aether"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1698 on: February 09, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »
I don't revisit The Tangent much anymore, and didn't keep up with their newer stuff, but that first album was pretty money.  The Canterbury Sequence is one helluva an awesome song.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1699 on: February 10, 2021, 04:51:24 AM »
Still on the discog run. We've done 37/44 albums so far. Yesterday was the Kaipa Da Capo album Darskapens Monotoni. Michael Stolt is a pretty decent lead singer. Sometimes he reminded me of Chris Rea, other times of Bruce. The rest of the time a deeper Roine. Next on our list is Invention of Knowledge, Roine's collaboration with Jon Anderson.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1700 on: February 10, 2021, 05:01:54 AM »
Still on the discog run. We've done 37/44 albums so far. Yesterday was the Kaipa Da Capo album Darskapens Monotoni. Michael Stolt is a pretty decent lead singer. Sometimes he reminded me of Chris Rea, other times of Bruce. The rest of the time a deeper Roine. Next on our list is Invention of Knowledge, Roine's collaboration with Jon Anderson.

Prepare for a lot of we are love, spirit is everything, hep yadda and soul is spirit and love is everything and everyone yay.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: February 10, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
I don't revisit The Tangent much anymore, and didn't keep up with their newer stuff, but that first album was pretty money.  The Canterbury Sequence is one helluva an awesome song.

I agree - you should check out A Spark In The Aether it's just as solid if not even more so, I think.  Nice airy production too

Online DTA

« Reply #1702 on: February 10, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »

Ooof...Invention is a rough one. Really let down by the weak production and the overwhelming presence of Anderson's vocals invading every available instrumental section.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1703 on: February 10, 2021, 05:51:35 PM »

I agree - you should check out A Spark In The Aether it's just as solid if not even more so, I think.  Nice airy production too

Noted.  :tup :tup

Ooof...Invention is a rough one. Really let down by the weak production and the overwhelming presence of Anderson's vocals invading every available instrumental section.

That album sounded to me like Roine was so star struck in getting to work with one of his idols that he was content with writing a bunch of background music for Anderson to sing over.  Total missed opportunity, IMO.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1704 on: February 11, 2021, 02:00:45 AM »
That album bores me to tears. It doesn't even manage to put me to sleep as much as most boring albums do, it just annoys me how bland it is.  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1705 on: February 11, 2021, 02:08:52 AM »
I think you guys are being too harsh on that album. Yes, one has to be very fond of Anderson's style of singing and writing lyrics to appreciate Invention. But I think it's the best we've gotten from Jon in quite a while (along with 1000Hands) and Roine and him harmonize very well.

Online HOF

« Reply #1706 on: February 11, 2021, 09:17:38 AM »
I’ve never really sat down and listened to Invention of Knowledge, but a couple songs have popped up on Amazon Music auto-play before and I thought they were pleasant. May have to really check it out to see what I think though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1707 on: February 11, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
I’ve never really sat down and listened to Invention of Knowledge, but a couple songs have popped up on Amazon Music auto-play before and I thought they were pleasant. May have to really check it out to see what I think though.

It's actually just 4 big suite-like songs that apart from a few exceptions don't really make sense on their own. So if you ask me, if anything, this is a listen-through album  ;)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1708 on: February 11, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
I've never listened to the Anderson/Stolt album. Need to, soon, just to know why it's not so good myself.

Gave the 2nd Karmakanic album, Wheel of Life, a listen. Been a while. I forgot how much good stuff there is on there, and Roine Stolt pops up for solos on the last 2 tracks. The keyboardist is quite technically proficient, not unlike Jordan Rudess. Really, everyone in the band are very excellent players. The Jonas and Zoltan rhythm section is possibly my favorite prog rhythm section of the last 25 years. It's too bad they don't play anything together since the late 2000s.

This is the first album that we truly see full band with it's own sound, though still with guests. I think they solidified their sound on the next album. But here we have Masterplan which is a great classic prog sounding piece, but mixed with nice prog-metal touches. Do U Tango is instrumental prog fusion insanity, and it's nice to hear Roine play on the title track and Masterplan Pt 2. I used to dislike parts of this album, mostly the vocals, some weird choices made here at times, but other times really great singing. Kinda odd. When he's good, he's good.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: February 11, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »
To me that 2nd album is still the best Karmakanic album.   The others are very good too, but there's just something about that second album..."would you like to dance?"  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: February 11, 2021, 12:16:58 PM »
I tried to listen to this new TFK album again and it's just so...boring.  I'm kind of surprised at how well it's selling on Amazon.com - this will easily be my least favorite album by them and it's really not even slightly close.  I hope this is just a temporary diversion.  Please bring back the riffs and some crunchy guitars and longer songs.  This is like two CDs of ballads

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1711 on: February 11, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
To me that 2nd album is still the best Karmakanic album.   The others are very good too, but there's just something about that second album..."would you like to dance?"  :lol

It's my number 2 album of theirs, I do really like it, their strongest at that point, but I think the follow up is their best. The epic on there is a beast. That's coming soon. The only album I haven't checked out yet is their most recent, DOT.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: February 11, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »
DOT is pretty great too.  I like all their albums, although I admit I rarely listen to the debut.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1713 on: February 11, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »
DOT is pretty great too.  I like all their albums, although I admit I rarely listen to the debut.

It's definitely their weakest and sounds the most like a TFK side project, but it has some strong material in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1714 on: February 11, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
Like The Tangent, I jumped off the Karmakanic ship a while back, but that second album is pretty dynamite for sure.  The debut is definitely pretty choppy, but the title track, Entering the Spectra, is freaking awesome.