Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 235116 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1540 on: October 30, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Mellow sounds good to me, actually. I’ve liked all 3 promo songs, so we’ll just see about the rest.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1541 on: October 30, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't want it to come across like I hate it or anything.  it's decent, but I find it just kind of meanders along from song to song and then it's over.  A pleasant listen, but sitting here right now typing out this post and even after 5 listens I honestly don't have a single melody or lyric from the album stuck in my head. 

Pretty sure this album is going to disappoint more fans than it pleases.  I really hope they come back next time with a more guitar-oriented album. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1542 on: October 30, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »
Yeah, I don't want it to come across like I hate it or anything.  it's decent, but I find it just kind of meanders along from song to song and then it's over.  A pleasant listen, but sitting here right now typing out this post and even after 5 listens I honestly don't have a single melody or lyric from the album stuck in my head. 

Pretty sure this album is going to disappoint more fans than it pleases.  I really hope they come back next time with a more guitar-oriented album.

Meandering is kind of a TFK trademark!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1543 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
I've learned not to judge a TFK album until at least 10 listens.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: October 30, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »

Sure, I've been a fan since the first album, "The Flower King" but I don't think this group recovered after the last long hiatus.  Something is missing.  The albums are going in the wrong direction.  I like each successive release a little bit less than the previous one. 

I thought Banks of Eden was great, Desolation Rose was good and this one is....kind of bland.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1545 on: October 30, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »

Sure, I've been a fan since the first album, "The Flower King" but I don't think this group recovered after the last long hiatus.  Something is missing.  The albums are going in the wrong direction.  I like each successive release a little bit less than the previous one. 

I thought Banks of Eden was great, Desolation Rose was good and this one is....kind of bland.

I just think Roine has been incorporating a lot of new and different ideas over the last 12-13 years since The Sum Of No Evil, especially given with how many different bands/projects/artists he's become involved with. These last four albums have definitely been different, but they're still pretty great prog over-all. Of course, as is with any band that has lasted this long (25 years), it's always going to be hard for them to create any sort of new material that rivals their classic works, especially 14 (15 counting Stolt's The Flower King, 16 if you count Manifesto Of An Alchemist) albums in. I challenge anyone to find any prog artist that has had that much material in 25 years and say that their newest work is as good as any of their classic stuff. For me, WFM and Islands sound great, and I think they'll age pretty well. They're also at least better than The Sea Within and Manifesto, so I'm glad that Roine is continuing to make music with Hasse and Jonas (who both could carry on with their own bands and be OK).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1546 on: October 30, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
Mine showed up late this afternoon. Only had time to give the first track a cursory listen, will dig into it tomorrow. Love the artwork/packaging though.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1547 on: October 31, 2020, 04:03:39 AM »

I just think Roine has been incorporating a lot of new and different ideas over the last 12-13 years since The Sum Of No Evil, especially given with how many different bands/projects/artists he's become involved with. These last four albums have definitely been different, but they're still pretty great prog over-all. Of course, as is with any band that has lasted this long (25 years), it's always going to be hard for them to create any sort of new material that rivals their classic works, especially 14 (15 counting Stolt's The Flower King, 16 if you count Manifesto Of An Alchemist) albums in. I challenge anyone to find any prog artist that has had that much material in 25 years and say that their newest work is as good as any of their classic stuff. For me, WFM and Islands sound great, and I think they'll age pretty well. They're also at least better than The Sea Within and Manifesto, so I'm glad that Roine is continuing to make music with Hasse and Jonas (who both could carry on with their own bands and be OK).

-Marc.

Definitely this. The Sea Within/Invention/Manifesto sound completely amateurish compared to the two newest FK albums so that's a good sign. Still, I can tell Islands will probably come and go with me like WfM. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy a lot of it, but there's a certain magic that is missing that is what I absolutely adored about early FK albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1548 on: October 31, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »
I decided to check out Islands on Spotify. Can't get the physical album til November 20 I think?

I like it so far. Sounds a lot different than Waiting For Miracles. This one has a lighter feel, but that's not a negative thing.
Morning News is what is on right now. I like the playfulness of what I've heard so far, the general vibe reminds me a bit of the older pre-Jones TFK stuff but it's definitely the more modern mold of their sound. I like that so far, there have been a lot of odd time signatures and playing around with the beat. This will surely take time to digest. I definitely like Islands more than the previous album on first listen, though.

**Just finished the first disc. I get the "pleasant listen" description, but I definitely enjoyed it pretty much all the way through.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:29:05 AM by darkshade »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1549 on: October 31, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Yeah, I’ve gotten through most of the first disc and it all sounds really good to me. The production is interesting, but I like the overall sound balance. Lots of keys, which sound pretty lush. Songs seem to be a bit streamlined with less unnecessary instrumentation compared to some of their other albums. Haven’t gotten to the 9 minute track yet though.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1550 on: October 31, 2020, 01:47:42 PM »
Sure, I've been a fan since the first album, "The Flower King" but I don't think this group recovered after the last long hiatus.  Bodin is missing.

FTFY

Offline HOF

« Reply #1551 on: October 31, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »
I am really loving the first disc so far. I’ve only made it through the whole thing once, in part because I’ve wanted to start at the beginning whenever I’ve been interrupted. Everything through Broken is just really good. I love the laid back feel to it. For lack of a better word, they feel like they are acting their ages (I realize the new guys are young). Especially given where Roine and Hasse’s voices are these days. Don’t feel like they are having to go beyond what they are capable of to execute these songs. So far I think my favorite song is actually Morning News. The ending is really beautiful. I love the line “so death is opening like a rose.” It’s the perfect song for 2020.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1552 on: November 01, 2020, 01:26:28 AM »
So, the new Flower Kings album sure is a Flower Kings album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1553 on: November 01, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
I'm on The Sum of No Evil now. One of my favorites, and this was the album that finally made me go, "oh, I need to check out more Flower Kings" and it has always remained one of my favorites of theirs since. I don't think it's their best album, but it definitely is a return to form unlike any other album since. Maybe Islands is that album, too, but I'll have to give it more time. Back to TSoNE, the song that hit me first on first listen was the faux title track "The Sum of No Reason", I latched onto this song right away, and I always loved the jazzy section with the solos at the end. This is an underrated TFK piece, seems all the attention is on the epic "Love Is The Only Answer", which makes sense, as it is one of the band's best. It weaves in and out of some lovely sections, some of my favorite melodies. Yet, TSoNR does this as well, though it goes into some harder, heavy sections that the aforementioned epic avoids. Those hard, heavy sections might be the closest TFK has come to playing heavy metal.
Flight 999 is a cool instrumental similar to Circus Brimstone from Stardust We Are. Crazy drums. Life In Motion closes out the affair in classic TFK style. Just great prog rock through and through.

It should be noted that while it is great to have Zoltan back on drums, as he is my favorite TFK drummer, there is some intense keyboard work on this album, perhaps Tomas' flashiest performance on a TFK album??
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:06:00 AM by darkshade »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: November 02, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »
I've been spinning Waiting For Miracles this last week in preparation for Islands. My favourite track here is Wicked Old Symphony, I listened to it on my way to work this morning and it's been stuck in my head all day. TFK knows how to be both progressive and catchy at the same time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1555 on: November 02, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
Finally ordered Islands, should be here Wednesday. I found a different (correct) listing for the album after searching for just "flower kings" instead of "flower kings islands".

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1556 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
I've been spinning Waiting For Miracles this last week in preparation for Islands. My favourite track here is Wicked Old Symphony, I listened to it on my way to work this morning and it's been stuck in my head all day. TFK knows how to be both progressive and catchy at the same time.

This is probably the first time I've read this opinion  :biggrin:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1557 on: November 02, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
I can't say I'm going to finish all the albums I've yet to listen to during my planned (but interrupted by life) buildup to Islands, but I'm spinning Unfold the Future now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1558 on: November 02, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »
Here's my track-by-track thoughts on Islands, so if you don't want any "spoilers", definitely move on from here!!!

(Spoilers ahead!!!)

01. Racing With Blinders On - The album opens with over 2 minutes of blistering instrumental playing before the lyrics come in, almost like an epic overture, but it's really just half of the first song. Also, how many times have TFK used "blinders" in their songs? Pretty sure the phrase "blinders on" appeared in a song on Waiting For Miracles as well, and in other past TFK songs too.

02. From The Ground - The second pre-release single, it's a solid song in 7/4, very typical TFK sound. I feel like this one ends a bit too soon for my tastes.

03. Black Swan - This opens with some Yes/TFTO-sounding keys, then it goes into the song with some drum hits and fills. Roine has some nice Brian May-style guitar just before Froberg's vocals kick in, and with Kamins' piano, the verse has a Queen feel to it, which is even more apparent in the 2nd and 3rd verses.

04. Morning News - The third pre-release single, and I find this one quite relaxing and soothing, at least musically. It's very uplifting in only a way that The Flower Kings can do. The final lyric repeats in a haunting manner as the song comes to a close, so it definitely sticks out in my mind.

05. Broken - The first pre-release single, and I can definitely see why it was picked to be the first single. Its upbeat 5/8 time is very much in the vein of TFK music past and present, and it is also the second longest song on the album (at 6:38). The bridge is the most fascinating part with some solos here and there. One of the better songs on the whole album, probably helped by the fact that it was written by Reingold/Stolt.

06. Goodbye Outrage - The first Kamins/Stolt piece on the album, this is a short piece with interesting orchestral programming by Kamins, a very score-like piece that works well to contrast the song that came before.

07. Journeyman - A very UK-esque track, showcasing Kamins' writing and keyboard skills, it is the first of five instrumental pieces on the album, most of which are fairly short. It's not a bad track, but it definitely feels like an idea that wasn't entirely fleshed out, or perhaps they couldn't find a place for it anywhere else, so here it sits. Not bad, but it's definitely one of the typical instrumental-bridging pieces that TFK are often known for placing between other songs on their older albums.

08. Tangerine - I heard in a Progcast interview with Roine that the lyric of "Tangerine" was just some scratch lyrics that he came up with while demo'ing the song by Kamins, and it just sort of stuck. This is a very chill track with some "sunny" lyrics, as Roine mentioned in the interview that the imagery of a tangerine felt very sun-like to him. There is a lot of sun imagery in this album, so it's definitely a recurring theme this time around. Speaking of the sun...

09. Solaris - the longest track on the album, at 9:10 long. It starts off with some symphonic strings that sound kind of score-ish, then into the main song with some neat synth sounds. It gets a bit dark and heavy during the main song part, but near the end is a very beautiful choir-infused symphonic prog section that is a highlight for sure.

10. Heart Of The Valley - Not a bad track, though I feel like this could have used a slightly longer bridge with a longer guitar solo, but as it is, it sort of ends before it could really take off.

11. Man In A Two Piece Suit - The second instrumental of the album, this closes out the first disc of the album, fades in from the previous track. It's a slow-build guitar-led piece that is prime Roine Stolt material.

12. All I Need Is Love - This is the only song penned by Froberg on the album, and it begins with his vocals and acoustic guitar. It definitely has the Froberg sound, especially if you're familiar with his Musical Companion albums.

13. A New Species - The third instrumental, written again by Kamins, and starts with some slow and creeping acoustic and atmopsheric keys before launching into a fast early-Karmakanic-esque rhythms with the drums and keys together. The middle kind of slows to a steady groove before going back into those fast melodic runs again near the end, closing out with a short Roine solo and a melody that kind of reminds me a bit of DT's The Astonishing.

14. Northern Lights - Another slow-tempo song that fine moments, but nothing particuarly stands out to me about this song so far, though at the very end, Jonas does a little bass melody that reminds me of an early TFK song (but I can't think of it at the moment).

15. Hidden Angles - The fourth instrumental, and the shortest track on the album, clocking in at a scant 0:50. It's another Kamins instrumental (Kaminstrumental?) that showcases his skills once again, with some more UK-inspired keyboard melodies. It's a pretty quirky piece, but it just sort of ends, almost abruptly, before going into the next track.

16. Serpentine - This is a very groove heavy song, with some great driving bass and drums holding it down in the beginning. This is the one track to feature saxophone (by Rob Townsend), and it makes me wish the album had more sax on it (to give it that early TFK sound). Definitely one of the highlights of the back half of the album for me.

17. Looking For Answers - This song is almost entirely instrumental, outisde of the utterance of the title a few times near the end. It features choir arrangements by Kamins, with an interesting middle section that grooves before going into some Eastern-sounding tabla (?) drum sounds with the keys.

18. Telescope - The opening lyric reprises the "opening like a rose" idea from earlier in the album (from "Morning News"), as well as mentioning a telescope again ("Heart Of The Valley"). This is another slow and chill song, very relaxing at times. Not much more to say about it really.

19. Fool's Gold - The third Kamins/Stolt song, the tempo picks up quite a bit from the last sound, definitely needed for the pacing. Some good bass playing here from Jonas, and Mirkko keeps up suitably well on drums.

20. Between Hope & Fear - There's a return of the Astonishing-esque melody last heard at the end of "A New Species" as the song opens in a very TFK manner. Paired with the following track, it's a very good way close the album, a powerful 1-2 punch.

21. Islands - The final instrumental, and the title track as well, and closes the album in a grandioise manner with a soaring guitar lead by Roine.

Over-All thoughts: This album is about on par with Waiting For Miracles, though there are parts I like more, and parts I like less, but it all balances out in the end. Of course, I've had WFM for a year and so it's had more time to sit in my mind, so maybe in a year's time, I'll feel differently about Islands. As it is, it's a pretty solid TFK album, and any fan of WFM should definitely check this one out. Don't go in expecting Stardust We Are or Flower Power, or even Unfold The Future or Paradox Hotel. This is short by TFK double-album standards, but even then, the music still delivers as a whole. I didn't even pick up on some of the recurring motifs and themes until writing this, so I'm sure with more listens, I'll pick up one more of those ideas that Roine and company spread across the album, which will help make it feel more cohesive of a listen. It's a middle-of-the-road kind of TFK album for me, so with that in mind, here are my rankings of TFK albums:

Materpiece (Will Always Listen To For A TFK Fix):
Stardust We Are
Unfold The Future
Paradox Hotel

Great (Will Sometimes Listen To When Craving TFK):
The Sum Of No Evil
Retropolis
Space Revolver
Back In The World Of Adventures

Good (Occasionally Listened To):
Flower Power
Desolation Rose
Islands
Waiting For Miracles
(The Flower King)

Just OK (Rarely Spun):
Banks Of Eden
Adam & Eve
The Rainmaker
(Manifesto Of An Alchemist)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1559 on: November 02, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »
Also, how many times have TFK used "blinders" in their songs? Pretty sure the phrase "blinders on" appeared in a song on Waiting For Miracles as well, and in other past TFK songs too.

Certainly in Wicked Old Symphony. I can't think of any other occurrences off the top of my head, but there's one recent one for sure. Maybe the new "Judas" or "king" or whatever?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1560 on: November 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »
Also, how many times have TFK used "blinders" in their songs? Pretty sure the phrase "blinders on" appeared in a song on Waiting For Miracles as well, and in other past TFK songs too.

Certainly in Wicked Old Symphony. I can't think of any other occurrences off the top of my head, but there's one recent one for sure. Maybe the new "Judas" or "king" or whatever?

We also got another funeral pyre mention (I know that one appears on Stardust We Are somewhere).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: November 02, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
Good (Occasionally Listened To):

Islands

I'd rate it about the same.  It's OK, but I've already removed it from my phone and tossed the CD up on the shelf.  The new Armored Saint album is getting all my attention right now, that and the new DGM

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1562 on: November 02, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
Going through all the albums, the word "horse" seems to come up a lot.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1563 on: November 02, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »

Off the top of my head, its in There is More to This World, Elaine, and (I think) Stardust We Are (the song).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1564 on: November 02, 2020, 01:59:23 PM »

Off the top of my head, its in There is More to This World, Elaine, and (I think) Stardust We Are (the song).

I think it's on every album from SWA through Paradox Hotel. I didn't notice it on TSONE.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: November 03, 2020, 12:04:49 AM »
The word "brimstone" seems to pop up here and there too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #1566 on: November 03, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »
After one listen, really enjoying Islands. No big epics but enjoy it so far. More TFK is always welcome. It's another long album, so not sure how many listens i can give it. But real good so far.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1567 on: November 04, 2020, 02:18:01 AM »

I think it's on every album from SWA through Paradox Hotel. I didn't notice it on TSONE.

No horses on BITWOA or Space Revolver, as far as I can tell. Definitely on Retropolis (There Is More To This World), Stardust We Are (title track), Flower Power (Deaf, Numb and Blind) and The Rainmaker (Elaine). I haven't checked the others yet.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1568 on: November 04, 2020, 07:23:18 AM »
The album's arrived. I'm only five songs in and I'm loving it already! This is the Flower Kings I know and love! And nice that the songs do segue into each other, or at the very least crossfade. On the CD version anyway.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: November 05, 2020, 11:02:34 AM »
"Treasure Trove" appears in several places throughout the catalog.

And don't forget "shild" (i.e. child  :lol  )

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1570 on: November 06, 2020, 08:29:01 AM »
And peas! (peace)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1571 on: November 06, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
Banks of Eden was an album I loved when it first came out. I think it's pretty strong but I don't think it's even a top 5 TFK album. I like that it's a little shorter this time, but even then, I'm not that much into the songs aside from Numbers. Numbers is a great tune, though some of the parts makes me feel like Roine and co were listening to fellow Swedes Opeth when writing this one, I've always had that feeling, but the best moments of this epic are classic TFK moments. This epic is very strong and worth the price of admission alone. I've never had any issues with the other 4 songs, but Numbers just overshadows them. I think I would have changed the track listing a little and that would have made it a stronger album. Pandemonium is solid TFK. Rising The Imperial is a great closer. I like the reprises at the end of the album. Great album. I didn't listen to the bonus disc, but I'm going to return to the Flower Kings "B-sides" later.

As for Desolation Rose, I have nothing positive to say about it. It's my least favorite Flower Kings album. I'm inclined to say it's not even a good album as well. If I'm checking multiple times throughout an album to see how much music is left before it's over, it's not good. I don't even check my watch when listening to Retropolis or The Rainmaker, my other two least favorites, and I still enjoy those albums. The music on DR sounds lifeless and to me an obvious example of a band going through the motions. I almost like the opener Tower One, but after that the music is just kind of there for me. There's some moments on the album that make me literally cringe. Overall, it's just a very boring album to me.

Next, I put on Roine Stolt's The Flower King: Manifesto of an Alchemist. I'm not as familiar with this album, along with the latest Flower Kings albums since, I've probably only listened to MOAA 3 times, but I will say I enjoy this one a lot more Desolation Rose. This is a TFK album, I don't care what anyone says. Sounds more like TFK than DR did, too. Needs more listens, but good stuff to me.

Letter M, I would like to try these modded TFK albums, do you have a list somewhere I can reference? I would like to see if I like BoE and DR more that way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1572 on: November 06, 2020, 09:47:43 PM »
Letter M, I would like to try these modded TFK albums, do you have a list somewhere I can reference? I would like to see if I like BoE and DR more that way.

I may have posted them here in this thread but to save you the trouble of searching the thread, here are my "modded TFK albums" for BOE, DR, and as a bonus the track list for TSONE:

Banks Of Eden:
Numbers
Illuminati
For The Love Of Gold
LoLines
Pandemonium
Fireghosts
For Those About To Drown
Going Up
Rising The Imperial

Desolation Rose: (Songs marked with a -> are crossfaded/segued into the following track, edited in Audacity)
Disc 1
Tower ONE ->
Burning Spears
Lazy Monkey
The Wailing Wall

Dark Fascist Skies ->
Psalm 2013 ->
Sleeping Bones
Desolation Road
White Tuxedos

Disc 2
The Resurrected Judas
Silent Masses
Last Carnivore
Badbeats

Runaway Train
Interstellar Visitation
Blood Of Eden
Silent Graveyards ->
The Final ERA

(I may have missed a couple of segues, as I don't have a chance to listen to my mix of the album right not to check, but those are the few that I think are correct. Either way, most of the DR tracks from the main album that had segues remain in place, but I crossfaded the bonus tracks in some cases, particularly at the beginning and the end).

BONUS TRACKLIST!
The Sum Of No Evil
Disc 1
Love Is The Only Answer
Trading My Soul
Regal Divers
Turn The Stone
The River

Disc 2
One More Time
The Sum Of No Reason
Flight 999 Brimstone Air
Life In Motion

Hope you enjoy checking this alternate tracklists out! When I do these sorts of things, I tend to spend WAY too much time sorting the tracks out based on flow, relative pitch between songs, and how they might fit on a side of vinyl.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:35:14 PM by The Letter M »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1573 on: November 07, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »
Thanks man. My copy of TSoNE doesn't have the bonus tracks, unfortunately. Actually, none of my TFK albums have bonus track discs except the ones released since 2012. I do have the bonus tracks from SR, TR and A&E on my hard drive though, from downloading them somewhere because I couldn't find copies with the bonus tracks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1574 on: November 07, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
Giving Waiting For Miracles another listen. Yea, this is much better than DR to me, on par with BoE.