Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230893 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Career-spanning box sets now out)
« Reply #1050 on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:26 AM »
The second box set was originally set for a 1 June release, but then it got pushed back to the 15th, now Amazon's saying it'll be the 22nd. After the debacle surrounding the Spock's Beard release, I'm beginning to be concerned about InsideOut. Proof that when you go major (InsideOut became part of Sony recently) things start to go down the pan.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: June 12, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
Has anyone seen this:

https://cultuurpodiumboerderij.nl/programma/spocks-beard-flower-kings/

Spock's Beard and Roine Stolts Flower Kings revisited....

Anyone know which musicians are in the revisited Flower Kings?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1052 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
The second box set was originally set for a 1 June release, but then it got pushed back to the 15th, now Amazon's saying it'll be the 22nd. After the debacle surrounding the Spock's Beard release, I'm beginning to be concerned about InsideOut. Proof that when you go major (InsideOut became part of Sony recently) things start to go down the pan.

Yeah, Ken at Laser CD sent an email a few weeks back alerting of the push to the 15th and said that he expected things to ship before the street date. It's now the 12th and I don't have a shipping notice yet so I was starting to wonder about this myself.

I'm in no hurry. Just want the product to arrive correct the first time.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: June 12, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »
My Kingdom of Colours 2 was at the house when I went at lunch time. I ordered it from Amazon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1054 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
So make of this what you will, but a recent concert date announcement for Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands, on December 7th this year, features Spock's Beard (their first announced tour date of the year) and something called "Flower Kings Revisited".

So... what does this mean? Is Roine finally dipping back into the TFK catalog with his fellow Kings? Or Is he touring with different band members (though we can expect Jonas to be by his side regardless). I haven't seen anything from Hasse Froberg or Tomas Bodin today, but that doesn't mean they aren't involved somehow.

If a new tour is what it takes for Roine and company to reignite the Flower Kings fire, I hope this reunion results in a new album! If not, I hope we get a great live album from them!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1056 on: June 12, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
Marc, I'm pretty sure it's this:

https://cultuurpodiumboerderij.nl/programma/spocks-beard-flower-kings/

Hmm, doesn't say much about the TFK, though it's interesting to see who SB has filling in for the drum throne!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1057 on: June 12, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
So make of this what you will, but a recent concert date announcement for Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands, on December 7th this year, features Spock's Beard (their first announced tour date of the year) and something called "Flower Kings Revisited".

So... what does this mean? Is Roine finally dipping back into the TFK catalog with his fellow Kings? Or Is he touring with different band members (though we can expect Jonas to be by his side regardless). I haven't seen anything from Hasse Froberg or Tomas Bodin today, but that doesn't mean they aren't involved somehow.

If a new tour is what it takes for Roine and company to reignite the Flower Kings fire, I hope this reunion results in a new album! If not, I hope we get a great live album from them!

-Marc.

I hope not! Roine has been doing so much cooler stuff since he's not with The Flower Kings anymore... Anderson/Stolt and The Sea Within are both way better than the last two Flower Kings albums, in my opinion.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: June 12, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »

I hope not! Roine has been doing so much cooler stuff since he's not with The Flower Kings anymore... Anderson/Stolt and The Sea Within are both way better than the last two Flower Kings albums, in my opinion.

Anderson/Stolt was an absolute snooze fest.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1059 on: June 12, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »

-Marc.

Having not heard TSW yet, I can't compare, but to me, Anderson/Stolt was a bit of a bore for me. It was too much Anderson, not enough Stolt for him to get "equal billing" in the band name.

Then again, I quite liked the last two TFK albums, more so Desolation Rose than Banks Of Eden, but both were pretty good-to-great over-all.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1060 on: June 12, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »

Anderson/Stolt was an absolute snooze fest.

I had high hopes for Anderson/Stolt, but yeah, it completely failed to excite.  Nice enough sounding, but no balls.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1061 on: June 12, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
I could've sworn I read that Roine wanted to go out and play material from The Flower King album on tour. Maybe that's this?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »

I had high hopes for Anderson/Stolt, but yeah, it completely failed to excite.  Nice enough sounding, but no balls.

That was my impression.  It felt like Stolt was more content to be Jon Anderson's backing band, and Anderson can get way too wordy at times. That is what the album felt like.  It wasn't bad, but just kind of there.  I am cautiously optimistic that the second will be a lot better.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1063 on: June 12, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »
I didn't realize that they were gonna do a second one, but if so then cautiously optimistic sounds about right.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: June 12, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
I like the Andersson / Stolt record a lot.... but yes it is more Andersson / Yes than FK

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1065 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:01 AM »
I think you guys are underestimating Stolts work on that album! Sure, the melodies are all recognisable as 100% Anderson, but the whole arrangements, the structure of the songs, a lot of harmonies are typical Stolt. Andersons output in the last 130 years have basically been his melodies and vocals, poorly arranged. I am very glad he found someone who can deal with his peculiar melodies and put them in a great instrumental context. Just like Yes did. This was A/S's first album. I get it, maybe Jon overdid it a little with the truth, the soul, the glorious and the we are one with the earth stuff. But I am very excited for a second alum.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: June 13, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »
Spock's Beard / The Flower Kings revisited tour announced

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156530666970439&id=289541335438

New Flower Kings tune coming!!!!

Two tourdates in Sweden!!!!

Soo happy!!!@

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #1067 on: June 13, 2018, 05:54:31 AM »
SAGA's Mike Thorne drumming for them (Spock's Beard) on tour???

NICE!!!!  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1068 on: June 13, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
Since Roine said a "few new faces," I am going to guess right away that Tomas Bodin will not be a part of this. I would guess Roine, Jonas and Hasse will be a part of it, with Roine getting a different drummer and keyboard player, and maybe another "jack of all trades" player, hence the "revisited" tag instead of just calling them the Flower Kings.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: June 13, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
According to the promotor that booked them for Sweden Roine, Jonas and Hasse are confirmed so far.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1070 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
I've never warmed up to Desolation Rose, the album just kind of happens when I listen to it (which is pretty infrequently.)
I'd like to see more TFK albums in the future, but if it's more of DR, then no. Still, I'd like to see this music get played, they've created a lot of music.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1071 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
New here.  I've heard about the flower Kings for like 10 or 12 years since browsing these forums in one form or another, but only just now actually listened to them, and only because they appear on Pandora occasionally.  Wow, Big Puzzle!  I hope this isn't their peak, with the rest of their music leaving me underwhelmed.  I think I'll pick up the album and give it a cover to cover spin.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1072 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:12 AM »
New here.  I've heard about the flower Kings for like 10 or 12 years since browsing these forums in one form or another, but only just now actually listened to them, and only because they appear on Pandora occasionally.  Wow, Big Puzzle!  I hope this isn't their peak, with the rest of their music leaving me underwhelmed.  I think I'll pick up the album and give it a cover to cover spin.

It'd have to be quite special to top something like Stardust We Are or Garden of Dreams.

And on the tour, I got the impression from the story that it's not The Flower Kings proper, but a new touring band playing TFK material, focusing in part on The Flower King album. Notice the small s after King on the logo. And the name change to Roine Stolt's The Flower King(s) Revisited. Basically, Stolt's pulling a Yes/Queensryche/Kaipa. This is a further nail in the coffin of the original Flower Kings. They are done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1073 on: June 14, 2018, 05:51:35 AM »
Big Puzzle is pretty amazing and definitely one of their best songs, but there are tons of other great TFK tunes out there to snack on. :hat

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1074 on: June 14, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »

It'd have to be quite special to top something like Stardust We Are or Garden of Dreams.

And on the tour, I got the impression from the story that it's not The Flower Kings proper, but a new touring band playing TFK material, focusing in part on The Flower King album. Notice the small s after King on the logo. And the name change to Roine Stolt's The Flower King(s) Revisited. Basically, Stolt's pulling a Yes/Queensryche/Kaipa. This is a further nail in the coffin of the original Flower Kings. They are done.
Oh jeez, another "which is the real band?" situation.  I'm not about to get hung up on that stuff.  Ill just listen to Back In the World of Adventures.

BTW, I've never purchased an MP3 album.  In fact, I haven't purchased much new music at all in the last 5-10 years, and when I have, it was on CD.  Does it really matter where I buy it?  Amazon has it for $8.99.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1075 on: June 28, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Bought it on google play.  I just realized i had a bunch of play credit, so its basically free.  I was wondering about bit rates of downloaded mp3 files, but since 99% of my listening these days is in the car, it doesn't really matter.  The google play files are 320 kbps anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1076 on: June 28, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
Bought it on google play.  I just realized i had a bunch of play credit, so its basically free.  I was wondering about bit rates of downloaded mp3 files, but since 99% of my listening these days is in the car, it doesn't really matter.  The google play files are 320 kbps anyway.

:tup :tup

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1077 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
That bit at about 2:30 in Big Puzzle sounds lifted right from a Genesis song, but I can't figure which one exactly.  Maybe The Musical Box?

Offline DTA

« Reply #1078 on: July 03, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
That bit at about 2:30 in Big Puzzle sounds lifted right from a Genesis song, but I can't figure which one exactly.  Maybe The Musical Box?

Kind of reminds me of It, but doesn’t sound like a rip-off or anything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1079 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »
That part never struck me as sounding like a specific part of a Genesis song.  It has, however, always struck me as an amazing part of an amazing song. :coolio

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1080 on: August 14, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
Listening to Unfold the Future this evening, and I find another lengthy instrumental passage stretching across multiple songs. The last vocal in Black and White is around 1:45, so from there we count c. 5 mins to that song's ending at 7:07. Then all of Christianopel (8:15) and the first 2:45 of Silent Inferno, giving us a stretch of a good 16 minutes without any vocals. This is still some way short of the c. 21-minute instrumental stretch from the end of Church of Your Heart, thru Poor Mr. Rain's Ordinary Guitar, The Man Who Walked With Kings, Circus Brimstone, Crying Clown, up to the start of Compassion. So far, this is the longest stretch of instrumental I've found on an album that's not entirely instrumental.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1081 on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
Anyone who has been following on Facebook might have seen some comments, but my earlier suspicions are certainly confirmed, Roine and Tomas are definitely not on great terms right now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1082 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
That's a shame. It often happens to bands with a clear lead figure. See also PT/Steven Wilson. It's very much a "I'm the main man, you're my backup band" situation. And that can only last so long. TFK had a great run though, releasing an extraordinary amount of music for such a relatively short period of time.

(For the record, I'm not aware of any animosity between Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. I'm just comparing them because both PT and TFK started off as solo projects by Steven Wilson and Roine Stolt respectively, before evolving into full-time bands.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1083 on: August 14, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
Anyone who has been following on Facebook might have seen some comments, but my earlier suspicions are certainly confirmed, Roine and Tomas are definitely not on great terms right now.

Agreed, that is a huge shame. They made some amazing music together in TFK (and other bands). I wonder what happened...obviously, I doubt we'll ever know unless someone writes a TFK biography in the future and we find out years and years later...

I guess this is why Roine and Jonas are taking TFK music on the road with SB, but with an entirely new band behind them. I guess The Flower Kings, as we knew them, really are done. It was a good run, but at least this is a more definitive answer and we won't have to keep guessing whether or not there will be any more TFK.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1084 on: August 14, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
For the benefit of those who don't follow bands on social media, can someone summarize what was said or what happened?