Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230840 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Desolation Rose - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #945 on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
ELP did, but Yes did not.  Part of the coolness factor with a side-long epic was that it took the entire side of an LP, with no breaks either audibly or physically on the medium.

"Tarkus" has seven movements and they're visible on the vinyl.  "Karn Evil 9" has three "impressions" which are true breaks, and the first impression is split across the sides.  "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman" has four named sections, and they're visible on the vinyl.

"Close to the Edge" and "Awaken" have named sections, but the songs are single tracks on the vinyl.  "The Gates of Delerium" and all four "Tales from Topographic Oceans" are single tracks without sections.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: September 24, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Hmmmm. I never would have looked that all up, so props to you for doing so. :lol :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #947 on: September 24, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »
(I didn't have to look it up.  The vinyl hasn't changed in 40 years.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #948 on: September 24, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
Damn, and I thought I had a great memory. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #949 on: September 25, 2015, 07:21:31 AM »
The record albums I bought in the 70s were the ones I played over and over, and I went through "the ritual" many times.  Slide the record out of the sleeve.  Admire the sheer beauty of the medium.  The smooth blackness of the vinyl, divided, or not, into tracks.  No fingerprints anywhere, ever.  Read the label.  If there's artwork on the label itself, bonus!  Play the album while reading the lyrics on the sleeve or jacket.

You remember what you saw; you remember what you felt.  This is music.  There is nothing greater in all of creation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #950 on: September 25, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »
Behold, the words of the prophet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #951 on: September 25, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »
Not sure what happened there, but suddenly I felt the need to go deep.  Really deep.

I did mean every word of it, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #952 on: September 25, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
My post was made with the deepest respect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #953 on: September 25, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »
Oh, I understand that, and Thank You.  But I'm pretty much required to respond with false modesty.  I think it's in the rules.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #954 on: September 25, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
But of course.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #955 on: September 30, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
Listening to Stardust right now, on vinyl, I love that record.

InsideOut is having a major Vinyl sale, I ordered way too much of it. You guys should check it out. Stardust triple vinyl with 2 cd's for just 19 euros. https://www.insideoutshop.de/Category/I_LOVE_THE_BLACK/202?Page=2
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #956 on: February 09, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
I found a couple of TFK gems in a record shop in Paris. My collection is getting completer, I bought:

The Flower King (that album is way better than I thought it would be!)
Roine Stolt - Wallstreet Voodoo
Tour Kaputt (DVD)

I'm watching the DVD now and apart from the drummer (his style just doesn't really fit the band imo, and you sense that he hasn't been with the band for long) this is a great show.

Anyway, any news of a new record?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #957 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
Anyway, any news of a new record?

As far as I know, it's been quiet on the FloKis front for awhile. Jonas has been working on completing the new Karmakanic record, as well as working with Randy McStine and Nick D'Virgilio on The Fringe. Roine has been playing and touring with the Steve Hackett band for awhile, as well as the Kaipa Da Capo 70's line-up, and possibly releasing a new album with that line-up (while the modern Kaipa also still exists). Tomas just released a new solo album not long ago. And Hasse...well, I'm not sure what he's been up to.

I imagine they'll get the itch to write and record a new album this year, as it's been a couple of years now since DR came out, so I'd expect a new album late this year or next year (likely the latter). It also depends on if Transatlantic decide to get back together for TA5, which would delay Roine a bit more.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: July 09, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
Hanging out with a friend last night who is a fellow TFK fan, and after we cranked up a bunch of their turns from his massive playlist of them, several things became even more obvious about Froberg to both of us than even before:

-Most of their best songs feature Roine on lead vocals or at least sharing them to a large extent. Very few songs where Froberg is the primary lead vocalist are ones either of us would call a favorite.  Even ones where he does a fair amount of lead vocals - What If God Is Alone?, End of a High Note, A King's Prayer - feature just as much or more vocals by Roine.

-His voice has declined big time.  Go listen to his singing during the latter half of Rising the Imperial, especially the last two minutes, for example. Any time he tries to take it up a notch or two on the last two albums, his voice sounds very thin and hoarse.  His voice has always been a bit iffy for me, anyway, and it's now reaching the point of being distractingly mediocre. 

I guess this just confirms why the first five albums (before Froberg took on a bigger role vocally) and Paradox Hotel are my favorites, with me largely preferring Disc 1 over Disc 2 (Disc 1 is much more Roine lead vocal-heavy than 2). 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #959 on: July 09, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
I've never considered Roine a good singer, but I've noticed he put more character into his vocals on the earlier Flower Kings/Transatlantic albums, which mostly makes up for it. Nowadays his vocals seem almost like an afterthought. Something being done out of necessity. He still writes solid vocal melodies though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #960 on: July 09, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
Yep, he doesn't sing as much as he used to, which may or may not have to do with some criticism he has taken over the years, some of which I know he took to heart.  But nothing can erase that incredible run at the start of the Flower Kings career, which saw Roine doing most of the vocals.  Just look at the amazing epics from the first five albums:

World of Adventures (lead vocals all Roine)
Big Puzzle (lead vocals all Roine)
Stardust We Are (lead vocals by Roine in all of parts 1 and 2, with Froberg doing part 3)
Garden of Dreams (all lead vocals by Roine except for the actual Garden of Dreams song of the suite)
I Am the Sun (all lead vocals by Roine)

:coolio :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #961 on: August 06, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »
NEWS FROM THE MOON

There are quite a few wizards behind the ivories in the progressive galaxy –
But there’s only one jedi…

Ladies, gentlemen, droids and whatnots…
The circle is now complete.

Meet the master joining MOON SAFARI:

Mr. TOMAS BODIN

As most of you know, Tomas and Moon Safari go way back.
Back to 2003, as a matter of fact, when he helped us making the first demo
and later co-produced our debut album: A doorway to summer.

MOON SAFARI is really excited to work with TOMAS again.
We’re meeting up next week and will bring you and update then.

Peace! / Moon S

Tomas Bodin The Flower Kings

------

Seems as tho Tomas joined Moon Safari, which feels like another nail in the FloKis coffin. It's been about 4 years since the last album, and Roine hasn't said much about wanting to do another Flower Kings album any time soon. In fact, last I heard, he was working on a follow-up to the first Anderson/Stolt album. Couple that with all the stuff that Jonas has been doing with Karmakanic and The Tangent, it doesn't seem likely that the Flower Kings will return anytime soon, if ever.

I'm not sure what Hasse has been up to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's got another Musical Companion album in the works (which would be awesome). It's a bit sad that, after 5 years of waiting after The Sum Of No Evil, they pump out only two albums, then go back on hiatus for another 4-5 years. I guess TFK fans were spoiled, getting a new album ever 12-18 months for 12 years straight (95-07), but in the last 10 years, only 3 albums have been released.

I think if Roine wants to close the door on the band, he should probably say so. I always hope that whenever he posts news or I read an interview with him, we get confirmation one way or another, but he seems to dance around the issue. *sigh*

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #962 on: August 06, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »
I pretty much assumed they were done after another hiatus happened following the mostly disappointing Desolation Rose.  Roine has other outlets for his creativity these days, and there doesn't seem to be any demand anymore for more Flower Kings, even in the tiny circles where people know them.  Oh well, they had a great run.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #963 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
Does Stolt have a main project? Seems like he just floats around like Portnoy. Too bad because I like him best in Flower Kings.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #964 on: August 06, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
I read somewhere that he was working on high resolution/5.1 mixes for the deluxe Anderson/Stolt album for release later this year.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #965 on: August 06, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
I always considered The Flower Kings his main project.  He just likes to do lots of other stuff, too.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #966 on: August 07, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
It's like Porcupine Tree all over again. Why do we even need definitive statements from bands saying that they are done? Why can't they leave the door open for working together again when they want to? And if that turns out to be never, then so be it. None of us know what's down the line.

TFK were one of the most prolific bands of the 90s/00s. Approx. 18 hours of music released in 12 years (1995-2007), including 4 double albums of over 130 minutes each, is a truly remarkable rate of churning out music.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #967 on: August 07, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
It's like Porcupine Tree all over again. Why do we even need definitive statements from bands saying that they are done? Why can't they leave the door open for working together again when they want to? And if that turns out to be never, then so be it. None of us know what's down the line.

True, none of us do know, but for some of us, it's nice knowing how the band and its leader feel about said band. An update or two about them would be great every now and then, especially if they intend to keep going. They can definitely leave the door open to work together again, and that's fine, but it'd be nice to know that they are willing to, and want to. Rather, Roine and company have been pretty quiet about TFK in recent years, as far as I know, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of urgency to get them back together after the last two albums. It just feels like Roine (and possibly the others) are done with the band, going into their second 4-5 year hiatus in 10 years. To be honest, this feels worse than Porcupine Tree in my eyes, but at least more than just the frontman/main writer have projects going on, which is good for Jonas and Tomas at least.

If they never intend to come together again, a definitive decision would be nice to hear, and I can accept that they'll never record again and be happy with what we've gotten in the last 22 years. I just dislike the anticipation of waiting for more TFK news when there likely won't be any in the foreseeable future.

TFK were one of the most prolific bands of the 90s/00s. Approx. 18 hours of music released in 12 years (1995-2007), including 4 double albums of over 130 minutes each, is a truly remarkable rate of churning out music.

Oh definitely a hugely remarkable effort. Their prolific-ness was one of their drawing points, and it's not like their music was bad at all. Sure, they had a couple less-than-well-liked albums, but even those sounded great by comparison to other bands at the time, and the performances were always stellar, despite changing line-ups. They definitely helped usher in the "3rd Wave" of prog in the 90's and if it weren't for them, there'd probably be a few less bands doing that kind of music in the 2000's and 2010's.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #968 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
I always considered The Flower Kings his main project.  He just likes to do lots of other stuff, too.

This.

I read somewhere that he was working on high resolution/5.1 mixes for the deluxe Anderson/Stolt album for release later this year.

I pray the second album is far more memorable than the first, which wasn't bad, but just very forgettable.  Definitely one of the biggest disappointments ever for me, given the two main guys involved.

Great points. :tup :tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #969 on: October 26, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »
Just got this email from Burning Shed. Considering that I only own 2 of these, this is a purchase for me. One is Unfold The Future and the version in this set is not the one I have. The price is right.

Burning Shed Page

A lavish 10cd set collecting all the Flowers Kings’ studio albums from 1995-2002.

From the splendour of 1995’s Back In The World Of Adventures onwards, Roine Stolt and his band have created an ambitious Symphonic Rock imaginatively railing against the trends of the day.

Includes the 2017 remastered and remixed version of Unfold The Future, liner notes and an interview with Roine conducted by Dom Lawson (The Guardian, Prog Magazine).
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #970 on: October 26, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
Does it say if it will include booklets? I've seen other collections like this from Redemption and James LaBrie solo but I do not know if they have booklets either. Maybe somebody can chime in if one of you guys own the Redemption or JLB collection set?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #971 on: October 26, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Found this blurb from the product page on the Inside Out Shop website:

"Featuring a brand new interview with Roine Stolt (done by Dom Lawson / Prog Magazine, The Guardian) and liner notes, plus a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity making it also a collectible release"

Not entirely helpful, but it mentions liner notes.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #972 on: October 26, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
Does it say if it will include booklets? I've seen other collections like this from Redemption and James LaBrie solo but I do not know if they have booklets either. Maybe somebody can chime in if one of you guys own the Redemption or JLB collection set?

So I have the box that Inside Out put out for Anneke Van Giersbergen a year or two ago. The Discs are in cardboard sleeves with the front and back artwork. Then there is a booklet that is essentially all of the liner books for all of the albums in one cohesive booklet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #973 on: October 26, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »

So I have the box that Inside Out put out for Anneke Van Giersbergen a year or two ago. The Discs are in cardboard sleeves with the front and back artwork. Then there is a booklet that is essentially all of the liner books for all of the albums in one cohesive booklet.

Thats what I figured it'd be. Thats convenient though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #974 on: October 27, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »
I own the Beardfish set. The five discs are in wallets with the artwork on them, and there is a single booklet which contains all the original booklet artwork and lyrics for each album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #975 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »
I hope this set comes like this with all the album booklets into one.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: October 27, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
Inside Out made a more in depth post about it on Instagram:

The collection will also include the newly remixed and remastered version of ‘Unfold The Future’, which will be issued on vinyl for the first time on the 3rd November 2017 in a gatefold triple 180g vinyl package (include the album on double CD). Stolt comments: “For this re-release I have carefully remixed “The Truth Will Set You Free”, “Devil’s Playground” and “Black & White” - it wasn’t easy to find, or even remember, where all files resided. These remixes (more than one hour worth of music) are, as I see it, more detailed and better balanced - where I found this album to be painfully brutal, overly compressed and rough in the original 2002 mix, at times.” The entire album has been also remastered in 24bit/96khz, features liner notes from Stolt and still is a highly diverse stylistic journey that now can be rediscovered in its ultimate edition.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #977 on: December 09, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Amazon has a nice profile picture of the box. They also have it down to $48. Got my copy ordered.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #978 on: December 09, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
Wow, that's a great price for this set!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #979 on: December 10, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
Think I'll order it. I only have the most recent three studio albums and this seems like a great way to boost my collection.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.