Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 231078 times)

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Desolation Rose - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #910 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »
I have a real hard time ranking The Flower Kings albums.  I guess it depends on my mood at the time.  IMO you can't go wrong with any of them; they're all great listens!
- Ronzoni -

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
So with the recent burst of Spring-like weather in my area (Maryland/East Coast), the TFK-season has begun!

To start off, I've been rattling around remixed tracklistings for TFK's latest album, Desolation Rose. Like with other albums with bonus tracks (Space Revolver, The Rainmaker and The Sum Of No Evil), I'm trying to turn the album in to, yet another double album.

With so many tracks, and all the instrumental/segue-y pieces relegated to the "Bonus Disc" this go around, I felt like the main disc was missing those interludes, especially with how good they are, so I've taken it upon myself to re-instate them and create a 2-disc album, with each disc at about 45-46 minutes.

And for further old-time-y-ness, I made sure that each disc would feel like an vinyl LP, making sure each chunk of music would fit on a 20-25 minute side of vinyl, so there are four major chunks of music on my version of DR:

Disc 1
Tower ONE
Burning Spears
Lazy Monkey
The Wailing Wall

Dark Fascist Skies
Psalm 2013
Sleeping Bones
Desolation Road
White Tuxedos

Disc 2
The Resurrected Judas
Silent Masses
Last Carnivore
Badbeats

Runaway Train
Interstellar Visitations
Blood Of Eden
Silent Graveyards
The Final ERA

I figured "Psalm 2013" would fit great before "Sleeping Bones" since the former ends with rain/storm sounds while the latter begin with them. Putting "Burning Spears" after the opening epic made sense because the opening lyric references it and the closing chord/notes of "Tower ONE" segue nicely in to the beginning of "Burning Spears". Also, reprising "Burning Spears" from side one is the echo of it in "Paslm 2013", so there's a nice call-and-response on the first disc.

Closing the album with "The Final Era" sounded right, and cross-fading the drum roll in the fading notes of "Silent Graveyards" was easy enough, and it sounded totally natural, too. So after fitting those three bonus tracks in to the main sequence, it was a matter of filling in the rest. I needed shorter tracks to fill in "Side 1", so "Lazy Monkey and "The Wailing Wall" fit the bill. Opening "Side 2" was "Dark Fascist Skies", which seemed to fit better earlier in the album for me, at least, conceptually.

Not wanting to put another 8+ minute track on either Sides 1, 2 or 3, the instrumental "Interstellar Visitations" had to move to "Side 4" before the closing trio of tracks, and with the room left, I opened that side with "Runaway Train". This left "Badbeats", which would fit in at the end of "Side 3". I had originally wanted to open that side with it, but "The Resurrected Judas" just sounded better as an opener for the second disc.

I'm pretty satisfied with this arrangement, but it'll take a week or so of listens to get used to it. Luckily, I didn't burn myself out on the album last fall when it came out. As pain of occupation said, TFK is more of a Spring band, so I think I was subconsciously waiting til now to really give this a decent listen. It's truly a remarkable album, and a good step in the right direction from Banks Of Eden, which was pretty good, especially after a five year hiatus!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
Both tracks with vocals from the bonus disc are pretty weak.  Lazy Monkey, in particular, is pretty forgettable.  Strange, too, considering how great every bonus track instrumental is.

Banks of Eden has really been growing on me recently, though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #913 on: February 24, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
Both tracks with vocals from the bonus disc are pretty weak.  Lazy Monkey, in particular, is pretty forgettable.  Strange, too, considering how great every bonus track instrumental is.

Yeah, I could see why those lyrical bonus tracks didn't quite make it to the album, but in the case of any "complete album remix" I've done for TFK, I've included all the bonus tracks related to a studio album, "good" or not.

I'll have to give BOE more attention as well. It kind of got pushed back to the back burner that year. I mean, 2012 had new Rush, Neal Morse, Marillion, and many others, so while TFK had a triumphant return that year, the others still kind of stood out to me. Almost seems unfair in retrospect, but it's not too late to go back and give it the love it needs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #914 on: February 26, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »

man i dig Lazy Monkey. short and fun. its kinda been filling in for Agent Supreme a bit lately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #915 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »

man i dig Lazy Monkey. short and fun. its kinda been filling in for Agent Supreme a bit lately.

Huh?

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #916 on: February 27, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »

Huh?

I just haven't been spinning much A&E lately, and miss hearing Agent Supreme...but Lazy Monkey helps me get my short&fun fix.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #917 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

Huh?

I just haven't been spinning much A&E lately, and miss hearing Agent Supreme...but Lazy Monkey helps me get my short&fun fix.

"Agent Supreme" is from The Rainmaker, specifically the Limited Edition Bonus Disc.

Did you mean "Love Supreme", which is from Adam & Eve?

-Marc.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #918 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
the Japanese bonus disc of A&E has the 6 songs from The Rainmaker bonus disc, plus three more!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #919 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
the Japanese bonus disc of A&E has the 6 songs from The Rainmaker bonus disc, plus three more!

Ahhh, of course. I guess I recognize them more as bonus tracks from The Rainmaker since it came first, and the other three from the Japanese A&E 2-disc edition also came from the Space Revolver era/tour/sessions, so they're SR bonus tracks to me.

But that makes sense now!

-Marc.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #920 on: February 27, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
ya, I guess my way's kinda backwards. I just don't have The 2 disc version of Rainmaker.

I kinda include the bonus disc when claiming A&E as my favorite TFK album. not really fair of me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #921 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
Except for Harvest Time, which is pretty great, I never did get those bonus tracks from The Rainmaker or Adam & Eve.  And they are impossible to find.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #922 on: February 28, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
could Agent Supreme maybe be their most underrated song?!

...i'm crowning it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #923 on: March 01, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Nah.  I can think of tons of great TFK songs that don't get talked about enough.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #924 on: March 01, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
too late, its been crowned.

ok, how bout merry-go-round?
im spinning the fuck out of it lately, but I don't think ive ever seen anyone mention it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #925 on: March 01, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
I was listening to Stardust We Are a couple nights ago, and I have to admit my absolute LOVE for the track "Don Of The Universe". Great instrumental track, and it's got some great, soothing moments on it.

-Marc.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #926 on: March 01, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
listened to that song in the presence of my father Don a couple hours ago. it combos quite nicely with the aforementioned merry-go-round.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #927 on: March 02, 2014, 04:28:09 AM »
The new album has really grown on me over the last couple of weeks. I probably felt the need to give it another chance because of Kaleidoscope. I like Desolation rose much, much better than the previous two albums. The streak of songs from The Silent masses to Silent graveyards is truly awesome, and Tower one and White tuxedos also have some great moments. Maybe it's time to listen to some of their classic albums, it just depends on my mood and all the other great music out there.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #928 on: March 02, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
Pretty much every normal-length song on Stardust We Are slays (and even most of the short "transitional" tracks sound really nice within the flow and context of the album), and The Merrygoround and Don of the Universe are definitely two of my favorites.  I love how Don of the Universe is built around one of the title track's main themes, while having its own identity.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #929 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
All's been quiet on the Flower Kings front, but I recently found out that Hasse Froberg & The Musical Companion have a new album in the works, simply titled HFMC. (I guess it's self-titled...kind of?)

Hasse recently updated the band's FB page to reveal that they have been working hard to get it done, but missed their deadline to have it out by their original release date of February 15th (or something close to that). I'd imagine it'll be out in March or April at this point, with pre-orders coming in January or February.

I've been wondering if Hasse would do another album with them so I'm happy that they are. Between this and the new Karmakanic album next year, we're getting two tasty TFK-related albums, I'm sure! I just wish Tomas Bodin would release something new! The last solo-related work he did was with Eggs & Dogs back in 2009, the album titled YOU ARE (a follow-up to his 2005 release I AM), the second part in a planned trilogy. He just needs to make HE SHE IT IS and be done with it!

As for Roine next year, I've heard he's been working on a couple projects, as usual, but he never seems to openly commit to anything until it's nearly done and the press release is out, but I've heard he's got some symphonic stuff sitting around, a guitar-driven album, and something jazzy. Who knows. Another album by 3rd World Electric would be fun to hear, or perhaps one more from Agents Of Mercy.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #930 on: December 29, 2014, 07:06:48 AM »
A little bit of a shame that TFK don't seem to be doing anything in their 20th anniversary year. Back in the World of Adventures came out in 1995.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #931 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
A little bit of a shame that TFK don't seem to be doing anything in their 20th anniversary year. Back in the World of Adventures came out in 1995.

Very sad indeed, although I wouldn't mind a live album. Been awhile since they released one of those, and they've had two studio albums to tour on they could pull from to make a live album. It could be one whole show or a compilation of best songs/recordings. Anything will do.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #932 on: January 01, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
Please, no more Agents of Mercy.  I can't stand that nasally voice by that poor man's Peter Gabriel.  Ugh.

As for the 20 years, I'd rather they write some new music, instead of forcing some release just for the hell of it. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #933 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
Some updates from the Flower Kings Family Tree:

'So, the composition part of my new album "She belongs to another tree" is READY!
The rest is about the final touch...small adjustments, fine editing, a.s.o.
All in all there will be 10 songs clocking in around 73 minutes in total.

This time I´ve worked with a LOT of pure analog sounds like the Minimoog, DSI Tetra, Rhodes, DSI Evolver (partly analog). I also have a lot of my sad piano pieces.
Yes I would say this album is the most emotional album I´ve made so far.

I´ve created the soundscapes in a new way. Mostly "handmade" using the analog side together with some assorted pedals. I guess this is the true craftsmanship. Anyway it has been great fun "Absofuckinlutely" to quote my dear friend Felix Lehrmann.

Finally I would like to mention the little concept... everything is more or less related to "The Tree". And talking about trees, the slaughter of the Rain Forrest is still on.

However nevertheless I guess you will be able to get the album in a near future!. It will be released by Reingold Records! More info will come

Here is the final song list:

1 Dried leaves from the sky
2 She belongs to another tree
3 When the Ballerina Fish made her Gum Crawl
4 Damn I was stung by a Zap Goblin
5 The Sloths are never climbing inwards
6 A Drama Queen in a Sky Bar
7 Dancing a tree in a Paranormal Café
8 Tree Top Sunset
9 Night Forrest

10 Bonus - Shelter My Roots

With warmth.
Tomas'

Looks like Tomas has a new album out, but no word on release date or band members involved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stolt et ses complices vont bientôt s'installer en studio pour concocter un nouveau disque dans l'esprit du progressif symphonique des années 70. Disque qu'ils nous présenteront lors d'un des rares concerts de Kaipa Da Capo.

TRANSLATION: [Stolt and his accomplices will soon settle into the studio to record a new album in the spirit of the 70's symphonic prog, disc that they will present in a rare Kaipa Da Capo concert.]

Source: https://www.terraincognita.quebec/
Kaipa da Capo will play tracks from Kaipa's classic albums of the 70's plus tracks from their new album that is planned for 2015.

Source: https://www.terraincognita.quebec/english.html

Roine's Kaipa Da Capo (reunion of old Kaipa music) will be releasing a new album, even though the current Kaipa has had new music recently. Double the Kaipa, double the fun!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The third studio release from Hasse Froberg (Flower Kings) and his band Musical Companion combines complex Rock energy, strong vocal melodies and majestic Symphonic grandeur.

Containing three 10 minute plus epics and instrumental dexterity galore, HFMC finds Froberg and his band delivering a confident and powerful statement on their Glassville Records debut.

Presented in a three panel digipak.

Pre-order for March 9th release at the special pre-order price of £9.99 GBP.
tracks
1. Seconds (1:47)
2. Can't stop the clock (7:22)
3. Everything can change (5:13)
4. Pages (15:23)
5. Genius (5:48)   
6. In the warmth of the evening (10:42)
7. Something worth dying for (5:31)
8. Someone else's fault (10:14)
9. Minutes (1:08)

The new HFMC album will be out in a couple of months, so fans of the first two albums should definitely look forward to this one.

Jonas Reingold has a new Karmakanic album coming out sometime in the first half of this year, but no other details have been revealed (as far as I know) at this time.

Jonas is also working on a project with Nick D'Virgilio and Randy McStine called The Fringe.
https://www.facebook.com/thefringetrio

Also, has anyone else spun Kaipa's Sattyg or the Barracuda Triangle album Electro Shock Therapy? What're your thoughts? I've spun the latter once and it was quite interesting, although I'd need more spins. The former is more of the same of modern-day Kaipa. They're good, but kind of the same after awhile. Both albums definitely need more spins from me.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #934 on: January 30, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I had any interest in solo albums by Reingold or Bodin. 

I like quite a bit of Kaipa's stuff, but they tend to be a band I'll go through a 3-day spurt every two years or so where I listen to nothing but them, and then away they go till two years later again. :lol :lol

The same thing pretty much goes for Karmakanic, with the exception of Entering the Spectra, which is one of my favorite songs ever.

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #935 on: February 27, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »
Some interesting news concerning Stolt.Apparently he's touring later in the year with ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett,in his band.Stolt will be playing acoustic guitar,occasional lead guitar and bass! Has R.S.ever played bass live? Looking forward to this in U.K.in October!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #936 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »
Sadly, Roine will probably make more money as a hired gun on the Hackett tour than he would touring the Flower Kings at this point. 

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #937 on: February 27, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
Sadly, Roine will probably make more money as a hired gun on the Hackett tour than he would touring the Flower Kings at this point.

Very true!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #938 on: February 27, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »

Very true!

While this is VERY true, I hope that he gets some exposure through the Genesis fans/audience that come to see Steve Hackett's concerts. My hope is that fans who have YET to hear about Roine will see him on stage, ask about it, discover that Steve and Roine go back about 6 years and that Steve played with him on Transatlantic on a couple of occasions, and eventually discover The Flower Kings. Once you hit TFK, there's a WHOLE WORLD of Swedish prog that you can branch off from there, even just from current/former TFK members and their solo/side-project albums. It'll be really neat to see if this works in Roine's favor, but either way, congrats to him on joining Steve on their next tour! I hope he releases another live album so we can hear Roine's bass playing! Hell, I still need to get the previous two live Genesis Revisited albums!

-Marc.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #939 on: March 18, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »
Listening to Garden of Dreams, suddenly Dungeon of the Deep comes on and I get a strange urge to listen to Bridges In the Sky   :o

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #940 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
Listening to Garden of Dreams, suddenly Dungeon of the Deep comes on and I get a strange urge to listen to Bridges In the Sky   :o

That's strange! I got it after listening to the intro of Last Minute On Earth!  ;)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: September 22, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
So "Devil's Playground" is a 25 minute song without named sections? Do I have that right?

Seems so rare for a prog band! Especially when the other epic on the album has named pieces.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #942 on: September 22, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
So "Devil's Playground" is a 25 minute song without named sections? Do I have that right?

Seems so rare for a prog band! Especially when the other epic on the album has named pieces.

They've done plenty of others, including "Numbers" and "Love Is The Only Answer", as well as the side-length epics from Adam & Eve, "Love Supreme" and "Driver's Seat".

And while "I Am The Sun" is split into two parts on Space Revolver, it was more so to book-end the album that way (think DT's "In The Presence Of Enemies" or Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", though both of those did have movements). I do not think the whole song itself (when pieced together is about 25 minutes) had separate named movements, at least lyrically it didn't.

Neal Morse has also, in recent years, released two epics without individual sections or movements with names - "Seeds Of Gold" (from Testimony Two) and "Alive Again" from The Grand Experiment.

-Marc.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:04 AM »

They've done plenty of others, including "Numbers" and "Love Is The Only Answer", as well as the side-length epics from Adam & Eve, "Love Supreme" and "Driver's Seat".

And while "I Am The Sun" is split into two parts on Space Revolver, it was more so to book-end the album that way (think DT's "In The Presence Of Enemies" or Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", though both of those did have movements). I do not think the whole song itself (when pieced together is about 25 minutes) had separate named movements, at least lyrically it didn't.

Neal Morse has also, in recent years, released two epics without individual sections or movements with names - "Seeds Of Gold" (from Testimony Two) and "Alive Again" from The Grand Experiment.

-Marc.

True, I forgot "Numbers" doesn't either, and it's one of my top favourites!

I wonder if this is indicative of whether or not the epics are pieced together from separate parts or if they are through-composed. Or, alternatively, if they get split by lyrical parts.

Personally, I like having a roadmap (even unnamed ones, like several in "The Same River" by Riverside), and having artist-designated transition times that I can choose to split myself. Sometimes these are obvious but sometimes not – consider the epics on Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta which, while given named sections, don't transition between them in a necessarily linear fashion like is common. And then you get "Cassandra Gemini" split in nearly random spots without a link to the named sections! Such a nightmare because of the people who decided that meant they had to use the section names from both "Miranda" and "Cassandra" to give all the separate tracks a name, despite all of them being part of "Cassandra."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #944 on: September 23, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if bands like ELP and Yes gave subsections in long songs back in the day titles so record companies would have spots to put minor grooves in the vinyl, instead of one side of an LP having one song with just the one at the beginning.