Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230877 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Desolation Rose - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
https://www.wpapu.com/int014.html

My interview. :)

I feel like I'm the only guy here who didn't get to interview Roine Stolt.  :(

I asked Roine why not, he said he's afraid of tigers.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
It figures.  But I'm starting to get used to that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
Roine posted this on facebook, a lyric video for one of the new songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-AGdlyoR5A

I love the way it started, with the piano and all, but I have to admit that I was dismayed when the vocals came in and I realized that Froberg was doing them instead of Roine.  This is the type of song where Roine usually does them and make the song that much better because of it.  Sadly, and I am not sure why, but I just can't get that much intro Froberg's voice that much anymore.  Even when listening to the old TFK stuff, I almost always go for the songs that Roine sings (or is the dominant singer). 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #843 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »
Great song. The music fits the subject quite nicely. Do I sense this going into the next song?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #844 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
I received Desolation Rose yesterday. First reaction, great album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online The Letter M

« Reply #845 on: October 22, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »

Where dud you order from? I pre-ordered from TFK's own web store so I hope mine comes in this week!

-M.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #846 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »

Where dud you order from? I pre-ordered from TFK's own web store so I hope mine comes in this week!

-M.

From their webstore, got it signed by Roine.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #847 on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
Yeah, that's where I ordered from too.

I love the new song, vocals and all  :)

Haven't received my copy of the CD yet

Online The Letter M

« Reply #848 on: October 23, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »

-M.

Got mine in the mail yesterday! The packaging is glorious! Still haven't listened to it but I will today, I am sure!!! Cannot wait to dive right in to it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #849 on: October 24, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
I'm enjoying the name of the album

Desolation ROSE, by The FLOWER Kings.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #850 on: October 24, 2013, 06:15:01 AM »

-M.

Got mine in the mail yesterday! The packaging is glorious! Still haven't listened to it but I will today, I am sure!!! Cannot wait to dive right in to it!

-Marc.

What version did you get Marc?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #851 on: October 24, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

-M.

-Marc.

Got the signed 2-CD mediabook limited edition. It's really well done, nice and thick, and with beautiful artwork.

Besides, it's not a TFK album if it isn't 2 discs!  :rollin

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »

-M.

-Marc.

Got the signed 2-CD mediabook limited edition. It's really well done, nice and thick, and with beautiful artwork.

Besides, it's not a TFK album if it isn't 2 discs!  :rollin

-Marc.

Well, I went to the TFK site to check if that edition was still available, and for 22 euro's and free shipping I couldn't say no. Thanks for the heads up! I probably would've bought the regular single disc edition in a cd shop for at least 18 euro's if it wasn't for your message  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Online The Letter M

« Reply #853 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Well, I went to the TFK site to check if that edition was still available, and for 22 euro's and free shipping I couldn't say no. Thanks for the heads up! I probably would've bought the regular single disc edition in a cd shop for at least 18 euro's if it wasn't for your message  :D

No problem! I love supporting TFK through their web store, and getting the LTD set was a no-brainer for me, and getting it SIGNED was an awesome bonus! Hope you enjoy yours when you get it in! I've spun a bit of it now and it's really good! I'm hoping it sticks more than BOE did for me last year. I'll probably spin both as the weeks go along, and try to give BOE a second chance at hitting me, then seeing where DR goes.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Got my signed Limited Edition Media Pack thingy in the mail yesterday.  I've listened to both discs once so far.  Bonus disc has some pretty cool stuff on it along with the main album.

Only one listen so far, way too early to comment on it either way, but it sounds very promising.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: October 24, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
Got my copy from Radiant today with the signed postcard by Roine.  Sweet.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
I've listened twice now.  Good album.  Most definitely a grower that will require the *PRAT.

*PRAT = Prog Rock Acid Test - a term coined by PapaJim Harrell which refers to the process of giving an album multiple listens before deciding how good/bad it might be.  Many prog rock albums do not sound very good upon first listen and require repeated listens to truly appreciate.  The best albums grow on you as you listen more.  So, the term PRAT was used a great deal back around the time when Spock's Beard were at the height of their popularity (V-era)....once the term was coined by PapaJim, everyone on the Spock's Beard forum (a ghost town these days  :(  ) would defer commenting on any new music until they had subjected it to "The PRAT"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: October 26, 2013, 02:09:52 AM »
I've listened twice now.  Good album.  Most definitely a grower that will require the *PRAT.

*PRAT = Prog Rock Acid Test - a term coined by PapaJim Harrell which refers to the process of giving an album multiple listens before deciding how good/bad it might be.  Many prog rock albums do not sound very good upon first listen and require repeated listens to truly appreciate.  The best albums grow on you as you listen more.  So, the term PRAT was used a great deal back around the time when Spock's Beard were at the height of their popularity (V-era)....once the term was coined by PapaJim, everyone on the Spock's Beard forum (a ghost town these days  :(  ) would defer commenting on any new music until they had subjected it to "The PRAT"

:lol Let's bring that back!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #858 on: October 26, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
I didn't know that there was a term for it, but it's a principle that does apply often.  The whole point of prog is to push boundaries, do things outside the norm, but at the same time, there has to be enough familiar elements for our brains to latch onto.  The ratio is different for everyone, and will vary from piece to piece as well.

The first several times I listened to "Close to the Edge" by Yes, that intro was just cacaphony.  It was so "out there" that I couldn't grasp it.  Eventually I realized that it was in fact just in 4/4, and I could hear patterns in it, tonalities, then finally actual melodies became apparent.  Now, it's just a bit of music played by four guys.  Four amazing guys, but I can get my brain around it.

Prog is often like that.  At first, maybe too weird to register as "good".  Your brain is still trying to making heads or tails of it.  Then at some point you "get" it.  That doesn't automatically make it good, but at least you feel like you're in a position to make that judgement.  There's still a lot of music that I don't like, but I have to admit that I just don't get it, or maybe it's just not for me so I can't say whether it's good or bad.  I just don't like it (yet?)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: October 27, 2013, 05:05:29 AM »
I didn't know that there was a term for it, but it's a principle that does apply often.  The whole point of prog is to push boundaries, do things outside the norm, but at the same time, there has to be enough familiar elements for our brains to latch onto.  The ratio is different for everyone, and will vary from piece to piece as well.

The first several times I listened to "Close to the Edge" by Yes, that intro was just cacaphony.  It was so "out there" that I couldn't grasp it.  Eventually I realized that it was in fact just in 4/4, and I could hear patterns in it, tonalities, then finally actual melodies became apparent.  Now, it's just a bit of music played by four guys.  Four amazing guys, but I can get my brain around it.

Prog is often like that.  At first, maybe too weird to register as "good".  Your brain is still trying to making heads or tails of it.  Then at some point you "get" it.  That doesn't automatically make it good, but at least you feel like you're in a position to make that judgement.  There's still a lot of music that I don't like, but I have to admit that I just don't get it, or maybe it's just not for me so I can't say whether it's good or bad.  I just don't like it (yet?)

Exactly, great example too. That intro is weird, but gets more understandable after a number of listens. Prog songs can be greatly complex too, with a lot of movements, and that's something too you just have to get to know about a song. I remember the first time I listened to The Truth Will Set You Free (the TFK song), and I really forgot what song I was listening to. Now everything connects, themes return and get revisited, and it's one amazing song, instead of half an hour of music.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Anyone else who has this new album from The Flower Kings getting a sort of "old school Flower Kings" vibe from it?  This album, the way it's structured, the way the songs sound and flow and just the overall mood of the album really reminds me of the "Stardust We Are" era of the band...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #861 on: October 28, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Anyone else who has this new album from The Flower Kings getting a sort of "old school Flower Kings" vibe from it?  This album, the way it's structured, the way the songs sound and flow and just the overall mood of the album really reminds me of the "Stardust We Are" era of the band...

I do get a sort of SWA/FP-era feel from this album, but a lot of it is a good mix of TFK sounds from across their discography. It's a good balance, and I find myself spinning it more on release week than I did with BOE when it came out.

I am planning, however, to listen to BOTH BOE and DR, just to see how BOE has held up, and because I feel like I never gave it the attention it needed last year when it was new. It's also nice to have 2 albums back-to-back by the same band. TFK was/is quickly becoming the new Yes in terms of constantly changing personnel.

-Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #862 on: October 29, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »
On my first listen, and it's nice stuff so far. As is always the case with TFK it'll name a number of listens to soak it all in, but I like what I'm hearing so far. Just finished White Tuxedos, nice song!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #863 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
The first few listens of this were rather disappointing for me (probably because of my usual  :( reaction whenever I hear Froberg since instead of Roine :lol), but I am starting to like Desolation Rose a lot now.  The flow is definitely very nice, I like the recurring "silent graveyards" vocal melody, and there is a lot of tasty guitar work and dazzling piano lines.  Favorite songs so far are Tower One (love those unison lines with the guitar and piano in the middle of the song), Sleeping Bones, The Resurrected Judas and Dark Fascist Skies.  The Silent Masses struck me at first as another Starlight Man - great verse sang by Roine; weak chorus sang by Froberg - but the chorus is growing on me.

However, unlike Banks of Eden, where the songs on the bonus disc seemed to be as strong as the songs on the main disc, that is not the case here.  The exception being that all of the instrumentals on the bonus disc are really good.  I find it odd that they regulated all of the instrumentals to the bonus disc.  Most of the songs with vocals on the bonus disc strike me as being pretty average thus far, especially Lazy Monkey, which is a rare case of me not like the way Roine is singing, although that goofy ass vocal melody would be hard for most vocalists to pull off. :lol

But overall, this CD is sounding very good. :hat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #864 on: October 29, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
However, unlike Banks of Eden, where the songs on the bonus disc seemed to be as strong as the songs on the main disc, that is not the case here. 
Agreed. I pretty much treat Banks of Eden as a double album, whereas I can't see myself doing that here. The main album is very strong though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: October 29, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
I've only listened to the bonus disc once so far.  Can't really make a call on that.

But the main CD is great.  I think I might even like it better than Banks of Eden, too early to say for sure though

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
Only one listen so far but I can say it's the album I've enjoyed the most on the first listen by these guys.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
This just in:

Great so far, I love the ending of Tower One, I am at White Tuxedos now, wonderful!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #868 on: October 31, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
I am kind of torn on White Tuxedos.  I love the musical vibe, and the vocal melodies in the verses are pretty neat, but I am not sure how much I love the chorus; it sounds a bit weird and clunky, for now. But it could just be that I am initially thrown by them having a chorus that isn't as lush and melodic as usual.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
Oh, man, I love "White Tuxedos"

"You black-hearted bastard!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #870 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
To clarify, while I said I was torn on it, I am not saying I don't like it; I am just liking many of the others more right now.  But it's still early. 

The Wailing Wall from the bonus disc is definitely all kinds of awesome, and I swear, I had the melody from Burning Spears in my head all last night.  That's impressive when the melody from an instrumental can get stuck in your head like that.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
You'll chuckle at this, Kevin, but lately I've found myself liking Roine's vocals more than Hasse  :lol

What the hell is happening to me?  ???    :justjen   :facepalm:    :eek    :P 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #872 on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Sounds like you are wising up. :P :hat

But jokes aside, Froberg's voice appears to have lost some power.  I have noticed when he hits some major notes on this record, his voice doesn't sound as full, almost like its hoarse.  Granted, it has always had that kind of quality to it, but it appears to be more prevalent now.  But hey, aging takes its toll, right?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: October 31, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
Yeah, power vocalists like him very often lose some of the oomph in their voices when they get to be in their late 40's and beyond.  They should write songs in slightly lower keys so he doesn't have to strain so much.  I still like the way he sounds for the most part (hell, I bought all of his solo material!) but yeah, you can tell he's a bit tired now.

Meanwhile, Roine still sounds about the same as he did 10 years ago, and his voice has really grown on me a lot in the last few years.  :tup   It's very unique.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #874 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
I like Hasse's voice a lot, but Roine's has a beautiful quality to it. Different strengths between the two of them, and I've always felt they compliment each other really well.

I be am boner inducing.