Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230872 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
last time i made an inquiry in this thread i got shutout, so im hesitant to even ask, but...

can one of you TFK-heads come up with a comprehensive list off all the TFK instrumentals? i own nearly everything theyve released after going apeshit with purchases last summer/autumn, but i only 'know' approximately half the material.  i am looking to make a playlist of their instrumentals to spin at a friend's place (though it'll be nice to have for myself as well).

i'll give a massage to anyone gracious enough to help. no guarantee on a happy ending, however.

From the regular albums (not counting any bonus songs), with the best and most definitive ones bolded:

Atomic Prince/Kaleidoscope
Oblivion Road
Theme for a Hero
Temple of the Snakes (transitional piece)
The Wonder Wheel
Retropolis
Romancing the City (piano only, and works very well when combined with The Melting Pot)
The Melting Pot
Retropolis by Night
Flora Majora
A Room with a View (piano only)
Poor Mr. Rain's Ordinary Guitar (should be combined with the next one)
The Man Who Walked with Kings
Crying Clown (transitional piece)
Pipes of Peace (keyboards only)
A Day at the Mall (transitional interlude/intro)
If 28 (piano only)
Hotel Nirvana (transitional piece)
Daw (God intro - would not sound right on its own)
Attack of the Monster Briefcase
Mr. Hope Goes to Wall Street

The Mean Machine
Dungeon of the Deep (does have some choir vocals, but that is it)
Sunny Lane
Gardens Revisited
Shadowland

Captain Capstan
Ikea by Night/Astral Dog (no reason to not combine these two, considering the former is a 4-second drum intro)
Power of Kindness
Hudson River Sirens Call 1998
Afterlife
Rumble Fish Twist
The Rainmaker
Blessing of a Smile
Red Alert
Christianopel
Soul Vortex
The Devil's Danceschool
Too Late for Tomatos
Babylon

Days Gone By (piano only, and is basically the outro for A Vampire's View)
The Blade of Cain (not technically an instrumental, since there are some vocals at the end, but those are merely Love Supreme reprises)
Pioneers of Aviation
The Unorthodox Dancing Lesson
Flight 999 (Brimstone Air)

If you did a playlist of all of the songs I bolded there, it would be most excellent. :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #631 on: June 28, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »
Wow, that list makes me realize how many instrumentals they have. Doesn't seem like that when you listen to the albums.

btw, Banks of Eden is amazing. It's 5 out of 5 stars for me. One of the best albums of 2012. It's been getting some pretty favorable reviews online, even at ProgArchives who are usually pretty critical when it comes to a new TFK album. Even people who don't listen to TFK have been checking out BoE.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
Wow, that list makes me realize how many instrumentals they have. Doesn't seem like that when you listen to the albums.

I thought that exact same thing.  And the great majority of them are on the first four albums, and considering around Flower Power/Space Revolver was when Froberg's role was expanded, it makes you wonder if Roine has either intentionally wrote more songs with vocals in mind or if he wrote more back in the day since he didn't have confidence in his voice to carry an album full of all songs with him singing.  Probably the former.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »

btw, Banks of Eden is amazing. It's 5 out of 5 stars for me. One of the best albums of 2012. It's been getting some pretty favorable reviews online, even at ProgArchives who are usually pretty critical when it comes to a new TFK album. Even people who don't listen to TFK have been checking out BoE.

To touch on this, check out these reviews by Sean Trane at Prog Archives:

Of Flower Power:

As they keep putting out important (the understatement of the century , let alone the millenium) quantities of music (the previous and following will be double CD also) , one wonders what the point is to putting one hour numbers going in all direction (especially when this goes nowhere),mindless soloing and doubtful concept .
I rented out this album , and to my great distress was simply unable to go through the entirity of it as almost every single note appears to be either redundant or lifted from a classic album.

As with most of TFK albums, this is for people who have yet to built discernement . Youger progheards will likely not agree with me, but once you have heard thousands of prog albums and put them in the historical perspective, you should see this relatively easily.

Of Stardust We Are:
Some of my friends rated this along with the Lamb on Broadway when it came out and I told to listen better and most of them never play this anymore , of course this only applies to the crusty old timers that we are , as most other young people did make this their Holy Grail. I sometimes wonder if the FK was not setting the goal at making the lengthiest tracks possible . In the following years they will put out many other fully filled double Cds full of fillers , lenghty directionless "jams "( lack of more precise word as this were not jams per se) , making for an incredible output in quantity but not quality. This is only an opinion and is not aimed at hurting anybody, artist or fans.

Of Space Revolver:
Read my other F K critics as I don't like to repeat myself. But I will have to find something to write if my opinion (which nobody cares for anyway ;-) is to be seen - are we at fifty words yet?
Again , with this album TFK repeats their musical props without changing much of their previous formula. There is of course a solid dose of hard work that going into such an album , (which are finely crafted too and have many positive qualities to their works) >> but I am afraid it is all lost on me. Every single note appears to have been heard in different albums scattered through the prog giants of the 70's.

All kidding aside and not wanting to hurt anybody's feelings but my opinion is: spend your hard earned cash on other Swedish groups that are more worthy of your support.

Shall I go on? :lol

And that guy is a COLLABORATOR on that site, meaning his reviews carry the most weight (twice as much as the average reviewers) when it comes to ratings and such.  What a joke that is. The guy doesn't even review the albums; he takes a new TFK album as an excuse to rip the band and give them 1 star.  I'll bet he doesn't even really listen to them.  And they let that guy be a collaborator!  Yet another reason why their ratings and their silly top 100 should never be taken seriously.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #634 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »
Kev! youre my hero; thanx for the list. knowing half the material, and actively thinkin bout it, i knew it was gonna be intense.

Dungeon of the Deep (does have some choir vocals, but that is it)

The Blade of Cain (not technically an instrumental, since there are some vocals at the end, but those are merely Love

thanx for including. beforehand, i had thought to bring up such inclusions but forgot...you read my mind.

Babylon[/b]
Days Gone By (piano only, and is basically the outro for A Vampire's View)

ive always seen Babylon being Cosmic Circus' outro similarly to Days Gone By as A Vampire's View's outro. i love how they did transitions after both them songs. the 4 tracks go together so nicely.

From the regular albums (not counting any bonus songs), with the best and most definitive ones bolded:

Too Late for Tomatos

im interested in any other bonus tracks not mentioned. i know the one's from Adam & Eve bonus disc (so good! - different side of the band). surely there arent a bunch more(?!)

again, thanx dude...that took some effort.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #635 on: June 29, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »

I thought that exact same thing.  And the great majority of them are on the first four albums, and considering around Flower Power/Space Revolver was when Froberg's role was expanded, it makes you wonder if Roine has either intentionally wrote more songs with vocals in mind or if he wrote more back in the day since he didn't have confidence in his voice to carry an album full of all songs with him singing.  Probably the former.

Over the years I have really grown to appreciate Roine's voice.  I used to hate it  :lol   But it's grown on me considerably.  One of the things that I really like about TFK is the contrast between Roine's vocals and Hasse's vocals.  And of course their voices blend incredibly well on the harmonies. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #636 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
  thanx dude...that took some effort.

No problemo.  And I forgot that Too Late for Tomatos was technically a bonus track; I guess I forgot since it is a part of the CD instead of being on a bonus CD.  But I'd still include it.  :tup :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #637 on: June 29, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »

To touch on this, check out these reviews by Sean Trane at Prog Archives:

Of Flower Power:

As they keep putting out important (the understatement of the century , let alone the millenium) quantities of music (the previous and following will be double CD also) , one wonders what the point is to putting one hour numbers going in all direction (especially when this goes nowhere),mindless soloing and doubtful concept .
I rented out this album , and to my great distress was simply unable to go through the entirity of it as almost every single note appears to be either redundant or lifted from a classic album.

As with most of TFK albums, this is for people who have yet to built discernement . Youger progheards will likely not agree with me, but once you have heard thousands of prog albums and put them in the historical perspective, you should see this relatively easily.

Of Stardust We Are:
Some of my friends rated this along with the Lamb on Broadway when it came out and I told to listen better and most of them never play this anymore , of course this only applies to the crusty old timers that we are , as most other young people did make this their Holy Grail. I sometimes wonder if the FK was not setting the goal at making the lengthiest tracks possible . In the following years they will put out many other fully filled double Cds full of fillers , lenghty directionless "jams "( lack of more precise word as this were not jams per se) , making for an incredible output in quantity but not quality. This is only an opinion and is not aimed at hurting anybody, artist or fans.

Of Space Revolver:
Read my other F K critics as I don't like to repeat myself. But I will have to find something to write if my opinion (which nobody cares for anyway ;-) is to be seen - are we at fifty words yet?
Again , with this album TFK repeats their musical props without changing much of their previous formula. There is of course a solid dose of hard work that going into such an album , (which are finely crafted too and have many positive qualities to their works) >> but I am afraid it is all lost on me. Every single note appears to have been heard in different albums scattered through the prog giants of the 70's.

All kidding aside and not wanting to hurt anybody's feelings but my opinion is: spend your hard earned cash on other Swedish groups that are more worthy of your support.

Shall I go on? :lol

And that guy is a COLLABORATOR on that site, meaning his reviews carry the most weight (twice as much as the average reviewers) when it comes to ratings and such.  What a joke that is. The guy doesn't even review the albums; he takes a new TFK album as an excuse to rip the band and give them 1 star.  I'll bet he doesn't even really listen to them.  And they let that guy be a collaborator!  Yet another reason why their ratings and their silly top 100 should never be taken seriously.

Mind if I quote you over at PA? I just recently became a collaborator there and Ive been meaning to have those reviews taken down. Those reviews are from when the site was new, so they're short, but yes, he doesn't even talk about the music, he just hates on TFK. Usually his reviews are OK. If I can quote you, it can help in my defense to have those reviews edited/removed.

FYI, though, most members there do not take the top 100 list seriously anyway. We know it's just a popularity contest.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

As with most of TFK albums, this is for people who have yet to built [sic] discernement . Youger [sic] progheards [sic] will likely not agree with me, but once you have heard thousands of prog albums and put them in the historical perspective, you should see this relatively easily.

He's heard "thousands of prog albums" so clearly that makes him an expert on what music is objectively good and what music is not objectively good.   ::)

Welcome to the internet, guys.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Of all the things he's said that is actually something I don't take as much issue with. When you've experienced more it can give you a better perspective. Having heard 5 albums and calling 1 of them the greatest album ever doesn't mean jack shit to me, as the sampling size is too small.

That said I don't agree with how he has chosen to wield the weapon of experience in this instance, and simply having experience certainly does not make you automatically correct, as this case demonstrates.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #640 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »

Mind if I quote you over at PA? I just recently became a collaborator there and Ive been meaning to have those reviews taken down. Those reviews are from when the site was new, so they're short, but yes, he doesn't even talk about the music, he just hates on TFK. Usually his reviews are OK. If I can quote you, it can help in my defense to have those reviews edited/removed.

FYI, though, most members there do not take the top 100 list seriously anyway. We know it's just a popularity contest.

Just leave it anonymous and don't say what forum it came from.  I don't feel like getting into a forum war. :lol

Besides, you could copy and paste the same reviews and make the same general point yourself. ;) :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

Just leave it anonymous and don't say what forum it came from.  I don't feel like getting into a forum war. :lol

Besides, you could copy and paste the same reviews and make the same general point yourself. ;) :)

Oh yea, I will keep it anonymous. I have the same viewpoints, I would just say something like, other people see his reviews and may immediately be turned off (especially since his reviews are usually the first one for those TFK albums).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Ok, so I brought the issue up over at the PA forums.

If you're interested in following along, go here: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54797&PID=4557437#4557437

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
Yikes at that discussion from three years ago. :lol

What a tool that guy is.  Like was pointed out, nobody cares that he doesn't like the band, but you'd think a collaborator would put some actual effort into his reviews.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #644 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
On my third listen of the new album. Its getting better and better. At first I thought it was pretty "meh" but its really growing on me. I love Numbers and For The Love of Gold. The bonus tracks are surprisingly good, too.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
I really think this album is fantastic.  Lots and lots of great melodies that really stay with you after a few listens, and I love that repeated listens are definitely rewarded with all kinds of nooks and crannies. 

I really liked "The Sum of No Evil" as well, but I think "Banks of Eden" is a stronger album.  It seems like maybe they decided to dial back the amount of extended jamming and focused a bit more on creating strong songs. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #646 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
I'm not going to bother with the new album until I have more fully digested their prior output.

BTW, Stardust We Are is one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.  I also really liked the first album, Back In The World of Adventure.  I also listened to Adam & Eve, but although some of it was exceptional, there was a lot that didn't do it for me.  Retropolis and Space Revolver are also fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: July 03, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Adam & Eve is a bit of a clunker, although it's got some good stuff on it.  I'm also not too crazy about Paradox Hotel

Roine's solo albums are also worth getting, "Hydroponia" and "The Flower King"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #648 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
Prior to Banks of Eden, the only The Flower Kings album I listened to was The Sum of no evil, and I really liked that one. I never had the time and patience to go back to their more popular albums, but I knew I'll check them out at some point. However, recently I decided to give Banks of Eden a listen. Could prog be any more ''just okay'' than this? The melodies are fairly nice, it's a listenable album, but absolutely nothing stood out. It's a shame.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
After one listen I thought the same thing.

After three listens I thought it was a great album.

Now on my 8th or 9th listen, I'd put it at or near the top of their catalog.

I admit I'm a fanboy, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »

BTW, Stardust We Are is one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.  I also really liked the first album, Back In The World of Adventure.  I also listened to Adam & Eve, but although some of it was exceptional, there was a lot that didn't do it for me.  Retropolis and Space Revolver are also fantastic.

:tup :tup

Prior to Banks of Eden, the only The Flower Kings album I listened to was The Sum of no evil, and I really liked that one. I never had the time and patience to go back to their more popular albums, but I knew I'll check them out at some point. However, recently I decided to give Banks of Eden a listen. Could prog be any more ''just okay'' than this? The melodies are fairly nice, it's a listenable album, but absolutely nothing stood out. It's a shame.

I think the new album is way more than just "just okay," but I think I will have a hard time calling any of the songs one of their best songs.  Don't get me wrong, I like every song quite a bit, and like most of their albums, it is very consistent, but it doesn't have those two or three songs that just slay me.  Everything is really good, for sure, but just nothing I would call one of their best songs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »
Honestly, the way I measure their albums is by how many times I have to reach for the skip button.  They've only got three albums that do not compel me to do this often.  And "Banks of Eden" is one of those three.  I like every track, including the bonus tracks.

And I think track "Numbers"  "For The Love of Gold" and "Rising The Imperial" are up there with the best stuff they've ever recorded.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
See, I don't.

An album full of 10 songs that are all 8s won't be as good as an album with 10 songs with eight 9s and 10s and one or two 5s or 6s.

To use another example, I think Opeth's Damnation is amazingly consistent, but I wouldn't call any of those songs one of their best, so I can't call it their best album, even though it might be their most consistent (when talking about consistency from song to song).  Actually, Still Life is probably as consistent, but most or second most, I think most will get my point.

But back to TFK, I can probably count on one hand the number of songs of theirs I flat-out do not care for (and those songs even have some good things in them; they just aren't good enough to make the song likable for me), so almost none of their songs get skipped by me when listening to full albums as opposed to when I am listening to them on shuffle. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Yeah, for me about half their catalog is instant skip.   Albums like Unfold the Future, for example, end up being about one good CD worth of music for me.  The rest....meh

The good stuff is beyond stellar, though.  I haven't seen them live 5 times for nothing!  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #654 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
Oh, I don't think this was posted here, but the set list from that show they did in Sweden a few weeks back was:

Paradox Hotel
Last Minute on Earth
In the Eyes of the World
The Truth Will Set You Free
Babylon
What if God Was Alone
Stardust We Are (Part 3 only)
There Is More to This World
I Am the Sun

This was before the release of Banks of Eden, hence them not playing anything from it, but I thought it was interesting that most of the songs that were played were ones that often got played in the years before their hiatus.  Once they start touring regularly here shortly, hopefully they will take advantage of their massive catalogue and start playing some different songs instead of the same old, same old, plus a bunch of new ones.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Wow, that's a similar set list to what they did when they were touring for UTF.  I hope they come to the states again soon.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
The only album I ever feel like skipping tracks is Stardust We Are, on disc 2. Somewhere after Don Of The Universe, I get antsy to skip to the title track, as I'm not the biggest fan of the poppier stuff that's there like Different People, etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #657 on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
I can see getting antsy to hear Stardust We Are, but I absolutely adore both Different People and Ghost of the Red Cloud.  In fact, I remember being absolutely ecstatic when they played it when I saw them in Chicago back in late '06.  Set list for that show was:

Paradox Hotel
Hit Me with a Hit
Psycedelic Postcard
Hudson River Sirens Call
Jealousy
What If God Is Alone?
Just This Once
Pioneers of Aviation
Touch My Heaven
Mommy, Leave the Light On
End on a High Note
World of Adventures/Silent Sorrow
I Am the Sun
Life Will Kill You

Ghost of the Red Cloud
The Flower King

Offline darkshade

« Reply #658 on: July 12, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
Listening to The Rainmaker, it pains me to put The Rainmaker at the bottom of the TFK album list every time. I enjoy it so much.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: July 12, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
That was my first TFK album and I still have a soft spot for it.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #660 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
So, TFK fans, how do you think their discography stacks up against Dream Theater's?  Since both have 11 studio albums, this is an easy project!

Album vs Album (with my preference in bold):

Back in the World of Adventures vs When Dream and Day Unite
Retropolis vs Images and Words
Stardust We Are vs Awake
Flower Power
vs Falling into Infinity
Space Revolver vs Scenes from a Memory
The Rainmaker vs Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Unfold the Future vs Train of Thought
Adam and Eve vs Octavarium
Paradox Hotel vs Systematic Chaos
The Sum of No Evil vs Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Banks of Eden vs A Dramatic Turn of Events

Looks like a 6-5 edge for Dream Theater.  In the mid 00s, TFK had overtaken DT on my all-time list, but DT might be edging past them again.  I think TFK's least best albums are better than DT's least best albums, while I'd give DT the slight edge on the best albums being better (DT would have 3 in my top 25, while TFK would only have 2).  Plus, DT has the nostalgic edge as I have been listening to them far longer (1992 vs. 2000), not to mention the huge edge in non-studio album material (A Change of Seasons, FII b-sides, etc.) and more live DVDs to enjoy.  But it is close, and both bands are comfortably in my all-time top 5. :coolio

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
sorry if post before.... I'm just speechless

The Flower Kings live at Night of the Prog at Loreley

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: July 20, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Cool idea, Kevin, I'll play.....

Back in the World of Adventures vs When Dream and Day Unite
Retropolis vs Images and Words
Stardust We Are vs Awake
Flower Power vs Falling into Infinity
Space Revolver vs Scenes from a Memory
The Rainmaker vs Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Unfold the Future vs Train of Thought
Adam and Eve vs Octavarium (tie, I dislike both evenly)
The Sum of No Evil vs Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Banks of Eden vs A Dramatic Turn of Events (tie, I like both evenly)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #663 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
The Flower King vs The Majesty Demos
Back In The World of Adventures vs When Dream And Day Unite
Retropolis vs Images And Words (TIE)
Stardust We Are vs Awake
Flower Power vs Falling Into Infinity (TIE)
Space Revolver vs Scenes From A Memory
The Rainmaker vs Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Unfold The Future vs Train of Thought
Adam & Eve vs Octavarium
The Sum Of No Evil vs Black Clouds & Silver Linings (TIE)
Banks Of Eden vs A Dramatic Turn Of Events

TFK - 5
DT - 4
Ties - 3

TFK wins by 1!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
Adam and Eve vs Octavarium (tie, I dislike both evenly)

:omg: :omg: :omg:

a top 2 TFK for me vs a standout DT album (in its uniqueness AND awesomeness)