Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233216 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
lasercd has it now, too.  I was gonna order it from them, but then I remembered that nobody buys music anymore, so I didn't. :lol :lol :lol

J/k.  I ordered it, and hopefully will have it early next week. :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #561 on: June 15, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
I wonder when TFK will ship orders placed on their webstore?  Eh, it doesn't matter, I've spent about $200 on music in the last two weeks, so I've got a ton of stuff to listen to anyway.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #562 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
This turned into a mini-review.

On my 2nd listen of Banks of Eden, and WOW, it kicks so much ass. It's definitely TFK, but there's something different about it. Roine is playing so great, even Tomas is showing off his chops more than he usually does. New drummer is excellent, Hasse sings some of the best vocals on the album, and Jonas is great as usual.

The epic "Numbers" is dark (for them), but has a lot of cool stuff going on. It's sort of different for the band. Damn, it's HEAVY!!!  :metal At times, it's also like The Flower Kings in a haunted house.  :eek Excellent guitar from Roine, some of his best work. It's not all dark, of course, and the main chorus/refrain is beautiful; maybe my favorite section from the whole album so far, a little jazzy. The climax of the song is so glorious, it's like the band are so friggin' happy to be back! I'm so happy for them, and for listening to this! A near-perfect epic, in so many ways.

The other songs aren't as dark, though there's moments. The album is only 55 minutes, and not one minute is wasted. The album just flies by. New drummer Felix rivals Zoltan in both ability and style, but he's got his own thing going on too. Every song is great, and they kind of all segue into each other with little atmospheric bits. I cannot see most people calling any songs here "filler", every song does it's job. Maybe because this is somewhat of a concept album, but the flow is magnificent, for those of you who have had a problem with most TFK albums being too long.

"For The Love Of Gold" might be this album's "Chicken Farmer Song", nice uplifting song from the Kings, and a nice contrast from the big, dark epic before. I gotta say, Roine is really pulling out all the stops on this album, he's on fire. This has to be some of his most powerful, and technical, guitar work. Also, great organ solo by Tomas.

"Pandemonium" sure is intense. Interesting vocals. Very dark. Roine's got that vocal effect he used on "Bavarian Skies", but it's used to great effect IMO, and isn't used a lot, in case you don't like it. Most of he vocals are Roine's normal voice. I don't know what it is, but the band just sound so energized and ready to take on the world, so to speak. Maybe it's the new drummer, he's playing so fierce.

"For Those About To Drown" is a lighter song, a little pop, but also includes some of the heaviest moments on the album too. Tomas plays some real technical stuff at times. Great ending.

I think the last song "Rising The Imperial" might be the best song on the album (not sure yet), and it's a Jonas song! Of course, he's come a long way since TFK's last album 5 years ago, what with Karmakanic's last 2 albums being superb. Jonas plays some great bass on this one. This song acts as a finale to the entire album, and the finale of the song itself rivals those of Devil's Playground, Stardust We Are, and other great epics by the band in the past.

The bonus songs are great too, the only reason I think they were separated from the main album is that they don't fit with the overall theme of the album. They are NOT leftover songs. They ARE great songs, and the last 2 songs are 2 of the best songs out of both discs.

Not taking the bonus disc into account, the album feels too short, even though it's under an hour. But that is not a flaw in the album, I'm just used to 2 1/2 hours of TFK on one album  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:53:07 PM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
I didn't really talk about the bonus disc enough, so here we go.

First off, most of the bonus disc is sort of pop-prog. The first track "Illuminati", however, is an instrumental, sort of sounding like evil Pink Floyd, if you will. But Tomas' keys keep things from getting too dark.

But then, the second song "Fireghosts" is definitely the pop-prog song here. Pretty good, Jonas' bass is the best part of this all.

"Going Up" is a better pop-prog song than the previous, with a better chorus, and some acoustic guitar and sitar mixed in with the usual TFK instrumentation. Has a slight Karmakanic feel at times.

Last song is the best on the bonus disc. "LoLines" has some great heavy guitar riffing from Roine and Hasse. I realize while listening to this song, that Roine sings a little different than he usually does on this album, or he chose to sing over sections of music he wouldn't have done in the past, I don't know. What I do know is that it adds some nice color to the music (among other things). Great chorus, and nice leads by Roine (though it actually might be Hasse taking the solo). A good addition to the main album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #564 on: June 15, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
Cool review! I hope the technical playing isn't too over the top, though, as I always love the fact that TFK does great symphonic rock while rarely showing off on their instruments (especially on guitar and keys).

But who is Dennis? ???

Offline darkshade

« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
Cool review! I hope the technical playing isn't too over the top, though, as I always love the fact that TFK does great symphonic rock while rarely showing off on their instruments (especially on guitar and keys).

But who is Dennis? ???

It's not like Dream Theater, nor is it all over the place all the time. It's just a little more than usual from TFK.

Sorry, that post was copy and pasted from the Prog Archives TFK thead.  :blush I just edited that part out, haha.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
Just finishing my first listen and this album is great. I think they went back to an older TFK sound than what they've been doing in the last 2 or 3 albums. I will give this a couple more spins today
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: June 18, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
Loving this album!!!

My review...

......This time, they have put together a truly old school production together. It appears that they have found old, tube equipment and went for that very natural, very beautiful analogue sound. Stolt, on their website, says (and I quote) “We aimed for the classic big warm vinyl-sound of old records by Queen, Genesis, Zeppelin or Deep Purple.”

I believe that worked beautifully!

The classic line-up now has the addition of the new German drummer Felix Lehrmann   – who is a very good choice as you will see, Lehrmann adds to the atmosphere of each and every tune.

The opening track in particular is one of the greatest epic pieces I have ever heard by them with a really high replay value. As the die-hard fans might expect we are witnessing perfect utilization of band’s one of the strongest assets; contrasting voices of Stolt and Fröberg.  Call and response sections scattered around are brilliant!

Stolt’s guitar work stands out as it always does, but with subsequent listens the great melding of the awesome keys, bass, and drums unveil its beauty… The instruments were mixed clearly and cleanly, and each one has their spotlight time… There’s a great balance between beautiful melodies and complex instrumental sections…

Like I said, the album opens gracefully with a masterful epic… and we all know that they have a knack for epics…

However, Numbers is slightly different than all other TFK epics… definitely has something a little bit unusual about it. It is a very solid epic blending some innovative ideas harmonically on the contemporary side of the band’s own spectrum and it definitely works very well!

The tune is a hefty 25:30 minutes long with its mood maintained high thanks to the multiple varied sections and of course, as you might expect, its pace, vibe and feel keeps changing, gets jazzy in the middle and blues-y at the end…

Stolt’s guitars and vocals follow before a brilliant bridge by Fröberg’s deep, emotional and velvety voice.

Melodic, catchy, soft, dark, heavy, touchy, emotionally-charged… Just perfect…  One of the high points of the album followed by layered vocals in brilliant mix.

With the guitars, brilliant riffs here and there, the tune smoothly flows from poppy into proggy. Then comes Stolt again…

The tune picks you up, drops you down and make you feel all black and blue – it is impossible not to love it.

It fades out and suddenly silence reigns… and comes back with completely different vibe, soft, relaxing and laid back. Keyboards create an impressive atmosphere and the instruments here… God! The unison is an immediate win!

Then a heavy and darker atmosphere rises with the song flowing into the dramatic section. The tune you listen up to this point, what is essentially a poppy and beautiful song, evolves into so much more after the following sections with creative and inventive, fills, decorations, flourishes that constantly go on until the end…

Again a fade out and then in – going back to the main, killer melody. Stolt starts singing, serene and calm – and Fröberg chimes in taking over the lead and they start singing in a double melody… So deep… Amazing vocal harmonies – I don’t think it is possible to better utilize the contrast between the two voices. It is astounding!

If you have listened to the song up to here with all your attention, you must be consumed by now. But don’t think there is an easy way out – they are not done with you yet…

Think of the song in three acts and we are at the end of the second act yet.  Another twist comes with a fast paced section where musicianship is shining. The guitar solo and the bass lines are mind blowing.

The whole brilliant experience is tidied up with a darker version of the main melody leaving you exhausted and done for… Yet feeling much better for it.

It basically prods, shoves, pulls your soul this way and that before letting you fall into the void at its wake… When the song was done with me (yes), I had the urge to give a standing ovation!

This song has so much in it… It is full of complexity hence not the easiest to follow. With each listen you can spot another tasty musical experience…

I’m sure there is a specific “story” that was the seed of these lyrics – but, even though I’m sure it would be as futile as trying to analyse great poetry of masters, these lyrics make me think of a moment in life when you think you are happy on a personal level but it is just a high point in the cycle the humanity as a whole has been living through. There is fear and a sort of certainty that our perceived times of calm will go through storms all over again.

As I said, this might be far off the mark but the depth of the lyrics is such that they can make you feel different things with each read.

The most colourful song on the album, Pandemonium starts off with a super-dynamic and uplifting mood and evokes warm feelings right away… It’s the first song that caught my “eye” with its multiple mood changes, variations, ups and downs, highs and lows, fantastic keyboard driven moments and thoroughly proficient and soulful guitar work, and the brilliant instrumental outro. And of course, the very catchy melody…
After the low and deep, robotic Stolt vocals comes the higher notes delivered by Fröberg.  As I said earlier, the contrast in the two musicians’ styles and voices yield the perfect harmony.
You know those songs, when you hear them doing entirely different a thing, it makes you stop and listen, wonder what the song is called… This one is one of those. I was enthralled by the extremely engaging bridge written by Stolt and delivered by Fröberg… Seriously, this song has some of the best moments in the album… The tone of the keys and Fröberg’s voice  are in great harmony… The tune has a warm colour… Fröberg voice is playing an important role in creating the special mood that I love about this album.

For Those About to Drown drowns you in a torrent of infectious key lines by Bodin and some very tasty bass lines by Reingold. Stolt’s low vocals are building into a brilliant, uplifting, hook-driven chorus delivered by Fröberg again… You will sing along to this song… Resistance is futile  :)

The tune has one of the best examples of perfectly placed high-low vocals and reminds me of Waters-Gilmour interplays… Just like harmony and contrast of colours in an impressionist painting – all the while the instruments bringing the atmosphere to a deliciously choking density, thickness with layers and layers of instrumentation. The instrumental section where Tomas’ keys follow Stolt’s soulful guitar-lead is like chocolate with cognac!

The vocal mix – well, all of the channels for that matter – is just impeccable. Nothing dissolves into the background and nothing stomps anything else to the ground. They all work brilliantly together in a great harmony… I’m thinking, I think we have the analogue recording coupled with their extremely capable expertise in sound to thank for this.

Stolt’s proficiency with his guitar comes through… and songwriting is amazing as well. He doesn’t seem to be running out of ideas anytime soon.

It would be a shame to miss this one out!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:08:00 AM by obscure »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #568 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
"Numbers" is powerful. I'm starting to get certain sections stuck in my head. Listening to Banks Of Eden again, I think the 4th time. This might be the best listen so far, as I'm finally starting to notice the little subtleties and transitions.

There's this part a little after the 7:00 minute mark in "Numbers". Anyone get an Opeth vibe?
And then it gets to the demonic part, then to the "Down, down down" part. Man, that one minute
of music is amazing. Chills down my spine!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
On my first listen now! :tup :tup

Just passed the "Down, down, down" section of Numbers, and, I swear, that sounds right out of Roine's Wall Street Voodoo solo album.  Especially the way he sings and the vocal effect.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #570 on: June 18, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
^ Enjoy Kev!  :tup

BoE has made me want to revisit TFK. I wanted to listen to one with Zoltan, as new drummer Felix is similar as he is a jazz/fusion drummer too. So I decided to go with Adam & Eve, because Ive listened to the other 2 Zoltan albums a million times. I gotta say, A&E is blowing me away!  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
Yeah, this drummer is definitely very similar to Zoltan in sound and style.  The production sounds terrific so far, too.

Numbers was pretty interesting.  It'll definitely take a few listens to grasp it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:25:05 PM by KevShmev »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
Maybe my copy will be in my mailbox when I get home tonight  :coolio

Offline darkshade

« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
Yeah, this drummer is definitely very similar to Zoltan in sound and style.  The production sounds terrific so far, too.

Numbers was pretty interesting.  It'll definitely take a few listens to grasp it.

Numbers gets better with every listen. It's my favorite piece of music on BoE right now, but the epics always stand out on TFK albums. To be honest, I think the last song on the bonus disc "LoLines" is better than a lot of what's on the main disc, which is all killer, no filler as it is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Well, as usual with most of the newer TFK albums, on my first listen, I am thinking that Froberg is singing too much and Roine not enough :lol, so that is the usual hurdle I am gonna have to get over. :biggrin:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
After 4 listens, I think Roine and Hasse sing about equal amounts of time, though Roine might have more vocals on the bonus disc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
I've got the new Hasse Froberg disc to listen to so I don't care how much he sings on this one  :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
I've got the new Hasse Froberg disc to listen to so I don't care how much he sings on this one  :lol

How is it? I'm curious to hear how it is. I know it's on Spotify, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
I love both of his albums.  This new one "Powerplay" is even better than the first one. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
I love both of his albums.  This new one "Powerplay" is even better than the first one.

What's the style like? I have solo albums by Roine and Tomas, which are for the most part, closely related in style to TFK.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
I'd say prog + AOR... good one indeed...

For more info...  my interview with Hasse

a lil long tho... guy loves to talk... well yeah me too  :laugh:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
After 4 listens, I think Roine and Hasse sing about equal amounts of time, though Roine might have more vocals on the bonus disc.

After two listens, that sounds about right. 

For the Love of Gold definitely has the catchiest vocal melodies thus far, and Illuminati is a sweet instrumental.  Rising the Imperial also sounded nice.  Still working on the rest...

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #582 on: June 18, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
Can't wait to get the new album this weekend! I'm tempted to stream it but I kind of want to have the physical product.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #583 on: June 19, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
It's still all sinking in for me, but I decided to listen to Numbers by itself last night, and man, it just gets better every time. I like For The Love Of Gold, it's a little reminiscent of Yes, and TFK's own song, The Chicken Farmer Song.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: June 19, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
My impatience made me buy the MP3 download from Amazon.com this morning.  What the hell, the band will get a little extra from me since I ordered the special edition CD from their website already, but I was dying to hear it.  I've been through it once and I know this is going to become one of my favorites.

Is it just me or is this the best production ever on an album from these guys?   :eek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #585 on: June 19, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
I like For The Love Of Gold, it's a little reminiscent of TFK's own song, The Chicken Farmer Song.

Eh?  I don't hear that at all. ???

Is it just me or is this the best production ever on an album from these guys?   :eek

Too early to tell, but it does sound really good.  I'll have to wait till I have time to crank it up on my stereo to tell for sure.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Who is he playing with now? 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »

As far as I know, he has his own jazz group called the Zoltan Czorsz Trio. I assume they tour.

Here's their myspace.
https://www.myspace.com/zoltancsrsztrio

Offline ronrule

« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
The drumming is incredible on this, but the production on the drums is a little dry for my tastes. 2nd listen starting now... :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
Second listen, it's getting better and better  :hat

Offline darkshade

« Reply #591 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
4th listen was the best one so far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »

As far as I know, he has his own jazz group called the Zoltan Czorsz Trio. I assume they tour.

Here's their myspace.
https://www.myspace.com/zoltancsrsztrio

People still use myspace?  What bands uses myspace and not facebook and/or twitter nowadays?  Seriously.

Anyway, Numbers is starting to grow on me, and Rising the Imperial is glorious. :coolio

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
Seriously.. myspace promotion is surprising me too.. I hardly ever check out bands' myspace pages... boring and something of the past....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: June 20, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
I don't update my band's MySpace page any more, not worth it, no one cares. 

So, anyway, I had my third listen this morning to "Banks of Eden" at the gym, with my headphones.  I am LOVING the production, the new drummer is excellent and I am pretty sure this album is going to quickly make its way to the top half of my list of TFK albums.

This is the second album in a row they've made with not one track I feel compelled to skip.  :hat