Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230841 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #525 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
I get that, but that is still a lot to pay.  I usually have no problem paying a little extra for my favorite bands, but over $30 after shipping for basically what amounts to a single disc's amount of music is too rich for my blood these days.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #526 on: June 04, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
Eh, I've spent $30 on way stupider stuff than this.   :lol

Just ordered my LTD edition from TFK site.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
I'm with you on the packaging issue, Kev. I don't like digipaks either, I wish the 2CD edition was a standard jewel case. Part of me want to order both editions so I have the jewel case AND the extra songs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:34 AM »
I wish every album was a digipack - I hate jewel cases  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: June 07, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
Nevermind, posted in the wrong thread  :facepalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #530 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »
OK, although a lot of my favorite individual TFK songs are the well-known epics (Garden of Dreams, Stardust We Are, The Truth Will Set You Free, etc), so far my favorite album is Paradox Hotel.

How off-base am I?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #531 on: June 09, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »
OK, although a lot of my favorite individual TFK songs are the well-known epics (Garden of Dreams, Stardust We Are, The Truth Will Set You Free, etc), so far my favorite album is Paradox Hotel.

How off-base am I?

Not very far! :tup

PH is a top 3 TFK album for me, along with Stardust We Are and Unfold The Future. Something about it's many varied songs and the acoustic-feel of the whole thing just attract me in a way that I can't explain, although it wasn't an immediate favorite, Paradox Hotel grew on me like a virus, and now I cannot NOT love it. So many memorable songs and melodies, coupled with some great lyrics. It's also a bigger BAND effort, a lot of writing credits from people other than Roine on that album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #532 on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »
Yep, Paradox Hotel is awesome from start to finish, and is probably my 2nd favorite TFK record (I like Flower Power just a tad more), so you are not off-base at all here, hef. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #534 on: June 09, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
anyone know whats the deal with the complete lack of flower kings merch?! i want a shirt, damnit.

maybe you should look through the back pages of this thread for a clue. you cant just come in here expecting others to do your research for you, pain of douche.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #535 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Hef, Paradox Hotel has always been my favorite as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: June 10, 2012, 05:36:59 AM »
Paradox Hotel is somewhere in the middle of the pack for me, but I still consider it one of their best albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #537 on: June 10, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
Paradox Hotel is somewhere in the middle of the pack for me, but I still consider it one of their best albums.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #538 on: June 10, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »
I saw Adam and Eve in the record store today but I didn't get it. I decided to buy something else instead since I heard that its one of their worse albums. Should I have gotten it? Is it really that bad? I only have 4 other FK albums (Space Revolver, Stardust We Are, Back in the Work of Adventures, Retropolis) and I figured that I'll get their better albums first.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #539 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
I saw Adam and Eve in the record store today but I didn't get it. I decided to buy something else instead since I heard that its one of their worse albums. Should I have gotten it? Is it really that bad? I only have 4 other FK albums (Space Revolver, Stardust We Are, Back in the Work of Adventures, Retropolis) and I figured that I'll get their better albums first.

Honestly, they're all good. I think Adam & Eve is one of the stronger albums. Both epics are outstanding, and A Vampire' View always sends chills down my spine. Blade of Cain is one the best conclusions to an album. Not an album I would recommend for a TFK newbie, but you should have picked it up, especially since you're already familiar with the band.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #540 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Adam and Eve isn't bad at all. Love Supreme is a really strong epic, plus there's other good stuff like Cosmic Circus, Babylon, and Drivers Seat.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #541 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
I regret not getting it. I didn't have much money so I hope they'll still have it next time I go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #542 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 11, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »
I wouldn't regret it.  If you currently have Space Revolver, Stardust We Are, Back in the Work of Adventures and Retropolis, then your next purchases should be Unfold The Future, Flower Power, The Sum of No Evil, Rainmaker, Paradox Hotel and then Adam & Eve

I will admit that Adam & Eve is my least favorite TFK album, so I am biased.  It's not a BAD album, per se, they just have much, much better ones.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #544 on: June 11, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
Agreed, he should get Unfold the Future and/or Flower Power next, as those are 2 of their best, but I think once you get a few of the key albums, it doesn't matter the order of which you get their albums. If you're going to hear them all anyway, don't worry about it, like I said, they're all excellent.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
Of that group I'd probably pick Flower Power next. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #546 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
Yea, Garden of Dreams is probably their best overall piece of music. A one hour long epic.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
I think the other disc that comes with Flower Power is also very strong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Yep, Disc 2 of Flower Power has a bunch of great songs.  Okay, some of the atmospheric tracks aren't ones I go for a lot, and Magic Pie is a bit of a WTF (as in a totally wussy song), but Deaf, Numb and Blind, Stupid Girl, Psycedelic Postcard, Calling Home and Painter are all great.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
Agreed. It took me a while to appreciate disc 2 of FP, but I think it's one of their stronger discs overall. Lots of good songs on that one. It's just that GoD is definitely the centerpiece (and should have been an album of its own, but whatever). I just mentioned the giant epic because it is a big reason why you should own Flower Power.

However, I think Unfold the Future is the best of their double albums.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
I measure how much I like their albums by how much material I feel compelled to skip when I listen.  By that measurement, Flower Power is very high on the list because I don't skip much of either disc.  UTF, on the other hand, is probably a 50/50 album for me.  The highs are great, but I generally skip about half the tracks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
I love how on every forum where TFK are discussed, no one can come to an agreement about which albums are the best, unlike most other bands. Maybe we can agree on some songs as the best, but not albums. I think it's great, and shows how versatile and eclectic TFK are.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
Very diverse band.  It used to bug me quite a bit that they were all over the map but I've kind of grown used to it.  Plus, after seeing them live so many times (5 so far!) I've grown to appreciate even their material that I don't always connect with personally. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
I love how on every forum where TFK are discussed, no one can come to an agreement about which albums are the best, unlike most other bands. Maybe we can agree on some songs as the best, but not albums. I think it's great, and shows how versatile and eclectic TFK are.

I always got the feeling that Stardust We Are was the general favorite.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Space Revolver is the best. Then Retropolis.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

I always got the feeling that Stardust We Are was the general favorite.

SWA does show up in a lot of fans' top 3/top 5 lists for TFK albums. Heck, it's in MY Top 3 TFK Albums list, along with PH and UTF. I feel like the double-disc albums get a lot of attention, if anything, because of the sheer amount of music included on those albums.

I think Space Revolver makes it into many fans' top lists as well, especially for a single-disc album.

I do see, however, that many fans put The Rainkmaker and Adam & Eve in the bottom end of their lists more often than not, although that's not to say they aren't great albums. To the contrary, they're pretty good, but standing up against such great albums like SR, UTF and PH, they've got tough competition.

I do rank The Sum Of No Evil pretty highly, though, especially the Special Edition with the bonus tracks. Suffice to say, TFK have produced an amazing body of work that reaches out to it's various fans and pleases them all. I can't really complain, because between 1994 and 2007, they released ten albums with over 18 hours of music. Many bands don't produce that much music in their LIFETIMES, let alone only 13 years. Roine and company sure are prolific, and I'd say at least 90% of that material is 4-out-of-5 stars good!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #556 on: June 13, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »
From Jonas Reingold's Facebook page:

Jonas Reingold
I can understand that our customers are really upset of the shipping rates on the Ltd. Edition Vinyl package. Itīs a big parcel 950 gram, but Posten the company that taking care of shipping here in Sweden (the only option for a small company like us) donīt agree that itīs to expensive. The only ones that doesnīt make money on our music is ourself, all the rest making profit from our business, itīs crazy but true. I could write a book about this subject but will spare you this because itīs a beautiful day. But something is not right when people like Roine and many more having a hard time living off music. Itīs f-ed up . . .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #557 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
It does suck, but such is the life for musicians in niche genres like symphonic prog rock, eh?  I still say Roine didn't do the band any favors by calling themselves The Flower Kings.  Not that they would have been huge otherwise, but a name like that is probably an instant turnoff for some.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
The name of the band at this point is irrelevant.  The problem is nobody pays for music any more. They just steal it.  It's killing bands like this who rely on that income to make a living. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #559 on: June 14, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
MY LOCAL SHOP HAS BANKS OF EDEN

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I'M GOING TO PICK IT UP TONIGHT OR EARLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!